Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2007, 07:03   #121
BHPian

I had my share of woes...at HP petrol bunk, Golden Enclave, Airport Road. Twice, I asked for filling of 200 bucks of petrol in my bike and that guy started off without resetting the meter. Their idea is to have 2-3 ppl surround you and distract. First time it happened, I just very softly just said, that I think you didnt reset the meter before starting...he mummbled somehting and I knew it he was lying..so just started raising my voice, and before I could warm up he filled in another 100 bucks of fuel. I thought I was smart enough, and went there again :( Wasnt that lucky this time. Since then, if its not Shell, I always ask them to put in the amount in the machine, lock the dispenser and keep there hands off the noozle till its done. Sometimes they act like...no need to set the amount for 100 bucks etc, I just demand seeing the manager, and it works.
Other wise for peace of mind just stick to shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
maybe its time to allow self pumping at petrol bunks..
Its high time, this should now be introduced in india. I wonder why is it not happening?

Regards,
Old 4th October 2007, 10:55   #122
BHPian

In India the trend is opposite, the petrol bunks want to attract more people and hence offer good service - like the shell bunk attendants greeting us with namaste and hp cleaning car windshield, etc.

So apart from a few of guys who go to wrong bunks and get cheated most people are quite comfortable with someone else doing the filling. I for one would prefer no frills and filling it myself, but imagine people filling and running away without paying

Besides in India whenever you introduce automation or self service, people are as lost as ever and you need to introduce more attendants to take care of the automation. forum mall parking attendant pressing the button for you to release the ticket So introducing automation is an unnecessary capital expenditure cause your operating expense on people doesnt go down!!
Old 4th October 2007, 12:16   #123
BHPian

@jassi,

Given an option to just fill and run away...ppl in US will also do that.

Actually, you first swipe your creditcard/Smartcard, then fill up.

Neverthless, automation and adaptation of technlogy, in India dosent happen the way it should. Somehow ppl are so much awed by technology that they need assistance using it :(

But I wonder why no company has tried it yet...whats stopping Shell/Reliance to offer self service bunks? This can definately help them save costs..

Regards,
Old 4th October 2007, 14:36   #124
BHPian

automation takes time to catch on. It needs the people to be a little knowledgable on how to use technology. Look at ATMs.... when citibank suvidha was introduced in bangalore, it has caught on so well. Every bank now has ATMs and people prefer to use ATMs instead of banks.

So, i guess it is just a matter of time.

Also, in many places in US, there are manned fuel stations - i have seen them in the heart of san francisco and some other cities like NY too. The point is, in crowded cities like SFO and Bangalore, it is more economical to have a person dispense fuel, because you cant afford to allow people to take their own time, clean their windshields, buy a snack and then remove their car from the station.
Old 8th October 2007, 07:26   #125
BHPian

ya i've seen those manned pumps in san jose/francisco and vegas too. self service bunks for highways and less crowded places

Also right now things are too competitive as fuel prices are regulated to almost the same, so shell, hp et al need to show some value. Maybe in US fuel prices are different for different suppliers and the competition is on pricing not value added features
Old 16th October 2007, 23:59   #126
BHPian

Today, I filled fuel in a HP bunk in CV raman nagar, Bangalore. The meter set to zero, tank fills up and cost reads Rs 1178. All perfect.

I get a credit card slip to sign for Rs 1278. Thud. Luckily , I realized and asked the attendant. He promptly gives back a Rs 100 note, which he had in the other hand, saying he mistyped the amount. Maybe a honest mistake. However, he did not tell me about the mistake before giving the charge slip.

Moral of the story is, also read the credit card charge slip before signing.
Old 17th October 2007, 02:10   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
Today, I filled fuel in a HP bunk in CV raman nagar, Bangalore. The meter set to zero, tank fills up and cost reads Rs 1178. All perfect.

I get a credit card slip to sign for Rs 1278. Thud. Luckily , I realized and asked the attendant. He promptly gives back a Rs 100 note, which he had in the other hand, saying he mistyped the amount. Maybe a honest mistake. However, he did not tell me about the mistake before giving the charge slip.

Wow! I'm surprised that the person actually decided to fix the issue before you went to him. Thats commendable.
Old 17th October 2007, 11:41   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=amohit;583976Given an option to just fill and run away...ppl in US will also do that.

Actually, you first swipe your creditcard/Smartcard, then fill ..[/quote]The pump will not get activated unless you swipe your card / pay the cashier inside who will pre-set the pump to dispense for the amount you have paid for.
Old 17th October 2007, 11:52   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Had the same experience with IOC COCO near BTM Layout watertank. Actually I asked for the bill and the bill read Rs 100/- more . I pointed out and they immediately corrected the bill and then swiped the card.
Old 17th October 2007, 11:57   #130
BHPian

Quote:

Sir, this has happened to me once in the same bunk. It was Rs.200 extra, as with your case, they gave me cash refund.
Old 17th October 2007, 12:14   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

I never use anything but Shell after they started in B'lore. Zero billing errors. Highly recommended for the peace of mind. Fuel is also more likely to be of better quality.
Old 17th October 2007, 13:39   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Suresh - you are still at a loss of Rs. 2.5 (Which is the amount deducted by the CC company for the 100 additional rupees charged on the card. You may say you have a pertol card hence you will not loose the same .
Old 17th October 2007, 13:55   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Suresh - you are still at a loss of Rs. 2.5 (Which is the amount deducted by the CC company for the 100 additional rupees charged on the card. You may say you have a pertol card hence you will not loose the same .
Majority of the cards dont charge you for using your credit card at pumps. So he didnt lose any money. It usually shows as a credit in your CC statement
Old 17th October 2007, 14:17   #134
Senior - BHPian

well..My alternate job is to fill up my car myself..!!

Luckily I've been to the same IOC bunk for the past 10 years plus and havent had a problem..

I've found that IOCL super diesel and reliance diesel give better FE and smoothness than HP or BP or SHELL outlets..

Once tried the Shell near Porur [Chennai] and found to my dismay a reduction in FE..have not gone there since...

And its good to note that some many bunks cheat..

Ofcourse way back in 2000 / Feb..I filled up on the IOCL bunk near India Garage on my tour of south india in a 97 carb zen with a catalytic convertor.. The fuel was supossed to be unleaded and also loaded upto 100 litres in 2 cans so that i use "Good" fuel through the trip..

After some 800 kms..somewhere in the middle of karnataka..HeArd a metallic pinging noise while accelarating..

Cursed myself and cruised back to Chennai only to find my Catalytic convertor WAS BROKEN..Small pieces of carbon..reason poor fuel..replacement cost prohibited me from using a regular silencer again and thats when the first free flow married that car!!
Old 17th October 2007, 14:19   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
We have all been cheated or the guys at the bunk have tried to pull a fast one. Even i have been a victim.

We need to do something about this. Can all of us in Bangalore get together and approach someone. Or lodge compalints against this particular pump(The Airport one). We need to make a big noise. These days TV Channels would pick up anything. This should get the other bunks worried. Can anything be done at all.

When i was being cheated i had some morons in swanky cars smiling at me as if i was a fool shouting at the attendants. Note: I dont know kannada.

Can anything be done at all. This city sucks.
If they were smiling at you from swanky cars..you have your finger / s to show them..!! and laugh at them as their swanky cars are gonna be worse affected!! than ours!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks