Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 12:03   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

I never faced any problems and i do use that section from time to time.

When i am coasting down from the flyover at the center of flyover i starting giving my left indicator and slowing move into the left lane and by the time i am just exiting the flyover i am almost left and drive smoothly on to the straight road before taking the next flyover going towards Rd.No3 Banjara Hills.

If you approach the exit of that flyover properly i see this problem as non-existent. Maybe i am missing something here that daily commuters experience.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:16   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If you approach the exit of that flyover properly i see this problem as non-existent. Maybe i am missing something here that daily commuters experience.
I have been using the same route for the last 18 months ,it has been a smooth sailing till now.I cross this section around 8:50AM.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:23   #783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When i am coasting down from the flyover at the center of flyover i starting giving my left indicator and slowing move into the left lane and by the time i am just exiting the flyover i am almost left and drive smoothly on to the straight road before taking the next flyover going towards Rd.No3 Banjara Hills.

I use the same technique, but more often than not, some auto or bike on the left stops at the end of the flyover to take a wrong u turn towards Lifestyile/ Kundanbagh. Therefore i stick to the middle when I am at the end of the flyover.

But almost 80% of the time, the guys from Umanagar come on my way when they try to take a right turn towards Ameerpet. But the headache is generally over in a couple of minutes, and one need not come to a stop at that Junction.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:36   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
This would force residents of Kundanbagh and Umanagar to go all the way upto Somajguda circle to take a U turn and then proceed to Greenlands or to Secunderabad. Though it is a good suggestion, the bureaucrats and ministers staying in those areas will shoot down any such proposal.
Aah "ministers", do more harm than good.
Quote:
As regards dedicating right turn lanes for those coming from Secunderabad, it is a good idea. But somehow I feel nearly 70% of the vehicles take a right turn towards Ameerpet.
You only feel so because these right-turners occupy atleast 3-4 lanes and due to this, their queue is short, but width occupied is high.

Quote:
I never faced any problems and i do use that section from time to time.

The very use of the word 'slowing' means that this is an issue. Do you know SP Road's average speed is 10-20kmph? At 10 km per hour, traffic crawls on SP Road | Deccan Chronicle | 2010-08-02 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I have been using the same route for the last 18 months ,it has been a smooth sailing till now.I cross this section around 8:50AM.
What time do you take this bridge? When my shift is at 8AM, I am at this junction at 7.30-7.45 and it is alright, albeit a bit slow. For my 10AM shifts, I'm here at around 9.30AM and it is always in a mess.

Quote:
I use the same technique, but more often than not, some auto or bike on the left stops at the end of the flyover to take a wrong u turn towards Lifestyile/ Kundanbagh. Therefore i stick to the middle when I am at the end of the flyover.

But almost 80% of the time, the guys from Umanagar come on my way when they try to take a right turn towards Ameerpet. But the headache is generally over in a couple of minutes, and one need not come to a stop at that Junction.
Anybody coming from Greenlands, taking Uturn from under the bridge towards Somajiguda will only travel straight. Those few users actually coming from Umanagar can take the trouble of going a little ahead at the Somajiguda circle for the U-turn.

Guys, please understand that it takes me 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes to cover my commute of 20 KM everyday. For a global city, this is a ridiculous average speed. We need to move faster and safer. My effort will always be for the same.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:40   #785
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This would force residents of Kundanbagh and Umanagar to go all the way upto Somajguda circle to take a U turn and then proceed to Greenlands or to Secunderabad. Though it is a good suggestion, the bureaucrats and ministers staying in those areas will shoot down any such proposal.

As regards dedicating right turn lanes for those coming from Secunderabad, it is a good idea. But somehow I feel nearly 70% of the vehicles take a right turn towards Ameerpet.
Or the residents who want to go to Somajiguda continue in the same direction as before.
The residents who want to go towards Ameepet, take the right turn at the Lifestyle junction, continue alongside the Country club route, under the flyover and go into Ameerpet via Dharam Karam road.

Will this work?
Old 25th October 2010, 12:50   #786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Or the residents who want to go to Somajiguda continue in the same direction as before.
The residents who want to go towards Ameepet, take the right turn at the Lifestyle junction, continue alongside the Country club route, under the flyover and go into Ameerpet via Dharam Karam road.

Will this work?
By "Lifestyle Jn" I suppose you are referring to the T Jn between Country Club and Lifestyle building where the road to Kundanbagh starts?

If so, I don't think it will work, as the width of the road from that Junction towards Country Club entrance is narrow. I've seen bikes going on that wrong route every day and they lead to delays for persons going in the right direction towards Greenlands or Kundanbagh.
Old 25th October 2010, 14:02   #787
Senior - BHPian

Avi's method usually works for me but of late I haven't been taking this flyover during regular commute hours. It's mostly only on weekends. Even otherwise, I concur with Venu Sir's experience. Usually.

However I used to commute on this route in 2003 (when things were much, much saner) and even then this was a PITA at really peak hours. I'm sure it's gotten only worse now.

I can envision something similar happening on the new and useless Hi-Tec City flyover. People coming from KPHB and wanting to continue straight to Gachibowli and Manikonda will have to contend with those who want to take a quick and wrong U-turn just at the end of the flyover to get into Cyber Towers and also those who're coming from Madhapur side and want to go to the buildings adjoining Shilpa Kala Vedika. Admittedly the problem isn't as huge as with the Lifestyle flyover, and I haven't taken this flyover as well during peak time, but I can see this happening.

Does anyone have any empirical vehicular pattern and movement data (throughout the day for all days) for both these junctions?

Regards,
spadix
Old 25th October 2010, 14:34   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Does anyone have any empirical vehicular pattern and movement data (throughout the day for all days) for both these junctions?

Regards,
spadix
I was searching for the same on the web, but got nothing. Filing an RTI with the traffic police (?) should get us that info. Any transport engineers here to comment on this solution?

Last edited by hellmet : 25th October 2010 at 14:38.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:00   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
You only feel so because these right-turners occupy atleast 3-4 lanes and due to this, their queue is short, but width occupied is high.
Is the above not true for most, if not all, signals in Hyderabad ... I would call it a typical Hyderabadi ishtyle of driving ... Examples : (1) On Khairatabad Flyover for going straight ... most vehicles in the right most lane want to go straight to Punjagutta thus blocking those who want to turn right for Raj Bhawan Road. You will mostly find me in the 3rd left most lane out of total 4 lanes and I always turn right to Raj Bhawan Road ; (2) Madhapaur PS Junction ... most vehicles wanting to go straight from jubilee Hills to HiTec City, especially buses, will be in the left most lane to such an extent that I cannot even turn left to reach The Chocolate Room (can you imagine how frustrating it is that you can see TCR but cannot reach it because traffic is blocking you!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I was searching for the same on the web, but got nothing. Filing an RTI with the traffic police (?) should get us that info. Any transport engineers here to comment on this solution?
A road from Varun Motors to Sanathnagar is nearly ready parallel to the railway line. It will be commissioned for sure in 2011. A lot of traffic will divert itself before the Begumpet LifeStyle Flyover thus reducing the load on Greenlands Junction and that will solve the traffic bottleneck.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:25   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
(can you imagine how frustrating it is that you can see TCR but cannot reach it because traffic is blocking you!).
There are so many instances of this that now I've just resigned myself to going straight ahead, park somewhere after gradually being able to move to the left and walk back, much to my wife's chagrin (earlier -- not any more once she started driving regularly in our city traffic ).

On good days you can plan your moves so that you're in the left most lane much in advance of reaching the junction. But even that doesn't work when you have some adventurous bus/auto drivers who know that you won't risk a scratch on your shiny vehicle .

Regards,
spadix
Old 25th October 2010, 16:40   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
But even that doesn't work when you have some adventurous bus/auto drivers who know that you won't risk a scratch on your shiny vehicle .
Regards,
spadix
I have a very interesting incident about my recently made-over Alto (at New Mars) getting scratched while parked and how the other person who did it was made to pay up damages to me by the local police under the threat of foisting multiple cases against him, many of them with no relevance to the situation, just to ensure that he will repent all his life. I will let you know the details at one of the meets.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:43   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Is the above not true for most, if not all, signals in Hyderabad ... I would call it a typical Hyderabadi ishtyle of driving ... Examples : (1) On Khairatabad Flyover for going straight ... most vehicles in the right most lane want to go straight to Punjagutta thus blocking those who want to turn right for Raj Bhawan Road. You will mostly find me in the 3rd left most lane out of total 4 lanes and I always turn right to Raj Bhawan Road ;
I agree with you Bajaj saab. Another example is while coming from Panjagutta and stop at Khairtabad Signal, people wait on left most lane and dont allow vehicles to take a LEFT to Raj Bhavan road.

Another dangerous aspect is Buses, Autos and some stupid bikers wait on LEFT most lane and when signal turns GREEN, they zoom and take a huge right to go straight towards Lakdi Ka Pul. I am usually very wary of such morons as i am going in the direction of Khairtabad Flyover

As you rightly said, there is no solution to the disease called " Hyderabad Ishtyle of driving". You need to find a solution for your own issues ( which may or may not help others with same problem) by experimenting in your driving/manoveuring style.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:13   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you Bajaj saab. Another example is while coming from Panjagutta and stop at Khairtabad Signal, people wait on left most lane and dont allow vehicles to take a LEFT to Raj Bhavan road.
Worse than that, I've seen quite a few bikes going on top of the footpath to reach the junction faster !

You are right about the morons taking the left-most position when they want to take a right turn---90% of those guys are autorickshaws.

I feel like driving a Bolero or a Jeep to teach those guys a lesson.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:22   #794
BHPian

We have a traffic free event on Nov 13th ( see t-bhp hyd meet section).

100% no traffic jam as we are going to be on a boat..

Pour in your confirmations ,additional platform to discuss greenlands flyover traffic solution

Last edited by Rajesh Rawal : 25th October 2010 at 17:23.
Old 25th October 2010, 17:24   #795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel like driving a Bolero or a Jeep to teach those guys a lesson.
Venu sir.

They are damn scared of a Jeep and they try to stay away as much as possible.I drive one and i know how to discipline these notorious auto-rickshaw wala's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks