Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 12th December 2018, 16:03   #16531
BHPian

Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I personally feel that the people who are local to these areas are pretty much blinded with the rental income which makes them forget their own living conditions.
Exactly. Just like how the good money I get paid to work here makes me tolerate the absolutely ridiculous commute and the effect it has on my quality of life and health. For how much longer, what the tipping point will be, that remains to be seen, but that will vary from person to person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think after the initial lease period of these companies expires, they might reconsider staying in these tech parks on the ORR and explore alternate locations.
I have a slightly more cynical view. I think as long as the tax break or tax holiday that IT companies get for working out of these zones are in effect, companies will continue to work out of here. Inconvenience to the surroundings, commute time and stress, employee health and whatever else be...

Last edited by am1m : 12th December 2018 at 16:06.
am1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 16:38   #16532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Bellandur maybe, Yemalur doubtful.
I live in Yemalur. Between Shobha, Divyasree, Rohan, Prestige, Paranjape, Mathrushree, Ittina and a bunch of smaller developers we are looking at 2500-3000 dwelling units targeted at middle/upper middle class as apartments and villas here. The current roads (Kariyammana Agrahara Road and Bellandur Lake Road) are woefully inadequate for the number of trips that originate here, and we are not even counting pass-through traffic (from IRR/OA Road to ORR).
binand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 18:34   #16533
BHPian

Some stats on Team-BHP related to traffic in Indian cities -

B'lore : 16.5k replies; 42.5L views

Chennai : 3.1k replies; 5.5L views

Pune : 2.1k replies; 4L views

H'bad : 2k replies; 3.1L views

Mumbai : 1.6k replies; 2.7L views

Delhi/NCR : 82 replies(!); 0.3L views

Is traffic and infrastructure (normalized for population) really that much better in other cities and that much bad in B'lore or are we just too intolerant over here?

I have driven quite a bit in B'lore and Delhi/NCR and a little bit in Kolkata - The Delhi roads on the whole certainly seem lot better, but not much difference I felt in nature of the traffic itself. Been very long since I've visited Chennai and not yet been to Mumbai/Pune side.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 19:05   #16534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Is traffic and infrastructure (normalized for population) really that much better in other cities and that much bad in B'lore or are we just too intolerant over here?
Both are possibilities.

We also have several IT employees who have unlimited Internet access (and thereby access to TeamBHP) and the time to read and reply during the workday (like me right now for instance- I have never logged in to TBHP during weekends or holidays, and never on my phone! )

Last edited by am1m : 12th December 2018 at 19:07.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 21:01   #16535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the recent discussions on this thread center around the notorious IT parks in different parts. Most folks in these areas will be in an 'always online' mode and also will be spending a lot of time stuck in traffic trying to enter and exit tech parks. So plenty of time to post here.

Because there is high activity, lot of people (including me) rather than check google, head here first to check if there are any surprises in store for the day, so that in turn increases views. The Bangalore commuter's circle of life.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 21:13   #16536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Chennai : 3.1k replies; 5.5L views

Pune : 2.1k replies; 4L views

H'bad : 2k replies; 3.1L views

Mumbai : 1.6k replies; 2.7L views

Delhi/NCR : 82 replies(!); 0.3L views

I have driven quite a bit in B'lore and Delhi/NCR and a little bit in Kolkata - The Delhi roads on the whole certainly seem lot better, but not much difference I felt in nature of the traffic itself. Been very long since I've visited Chennai and not yet been to Mumbai/Pune side.
Interesting! Reasons for this according to me
  • Bangalore has the maximum number of Team-Bhpians
  • Bangalore has grown too fast in the past couple of decades and infrastructure has been slow to catch up.
  • Bangalore's roads are never straight forward. You always have upteen number of options to choose from to go from point A to point B.

PS : I also note that most of the rants in the thread are from the IT belt of the city. Maximum Bangalore Team BHPians are from the IT sector after all.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th December 2018 at 21:16.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 22:12   #16537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We are in the Silicon City...Many more keyboard warriors compared to other cities
Also I feel because of the very diverse population in the cosmopolitan city, we have all kinds of bad drivers and bad driving habits in the country in one city. This gives more opportunities to rant IMO

The infrastructure and it's management is more or less similar all over the country I feel. And generally, people have become less tolerant everywhere.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 12th December 2018 at 22:13.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote