Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 09:43   #12556
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

What better day to come to offica, for a BHPian

Reminded me of olden Bangalore days, such an awesome drive, that too in a overcrowded city like Bangalore.
Strikes are never good for economy and many people suffer, however, as they say, every cloud has a silver lining.

Sarjapur road to Manyata tech Park, a distance of 25 KMs, in 25 mins flat.
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 10:14   #12557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Wow!!! What else one could ask for. When we are going to see this kind of a traffic situation on a daily basis? (If wishes had wings, Buffaloes would fly )
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:01   #12558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Reminded me of olden Bangalore days, such an awesome drive, that too in a overcrowded city like Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Wow!!! What else one could ask for. When we are going to see this kind of a traffic situation on a daily basis? )
I see it pretty often - especially when there are Long week-ends. I have made it a rule - NOT to travel out during long weekends, holidays. This is the time to enjoy driving in namma bengaluru. Going out, I generally take couple of days off during regular work week. Tourist destinations also are relatively less packed during the week. So you get to enjoy that also. Only cost is - couple of days leave ; yeah You need to compromise somewhere!

More pain for Bangloreans

Richmond circle flyover to be closed for 40 days :-(
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle9061253.ece

Last edited by haria : 2nd September 2016 at 11:03.
haria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:16   #12559
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
I see it pretty often - especially when there are Long week-ends. I have made it a rule - NOT to travel out during long weekends, holidays.
Me too. Ive been following this method for some years now.
When there is a long weekend lurk in Bangalore. All the "Hoi Polloi" like the proverbial flock of "Sheep" have buzzed off out of town to clog all the roads, accommodation, eateries, places of interest and even the drainpipes somewhere else.

Leaving us folks to enjoy the quietude and peace and traffic free scenarios of yesteryears re-lived in Bangalore.

If I want to go out of town on a road trip or on a sight seeing holiday within India, I would absolutely NOT choose to do so over one of these long weekends, simply because I want to avoid the crowds of "hoi polloi" who are doing the same.

I'd much rather take leave and go away during a normal working week and thus enjoy some peace and quiet out of town...

I can just imagine the state of the roads in the nation on Monday the 5th when all the monsters come rushing back in to Bangalore from their sojourns out of the city!
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:30   #12560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria
Going out, I generally take couple of days off during regular work week. Tourist destinations also are relatively less packed during the week
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
I'd much rather take leave and go away during a normal working week and thus enjoy some peace and quiet out of town...
This luxury is only reserved for the Bangalore boys (Mannine magas of the city). For many folks like us, long week ends are for those quick home town trips (and may be one off the case tourism oriented trip). Most of the leaves any ways would get eaten up because if we have to go to home town for our festivals (Onam for eg.). One thing I envy my friends back at the home state is the advantage they have of enjoying all good events with their own family & friends.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:53   #12561
BHPian

Forwarding as received on whatsapp:

Trade union people are pelting stones at Marathalli, better avoid using 4 wheelers ( they are sending back people), take care while driving today
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:05   #12562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Forwarding as received on whatsapp:

Trade union people are pelting stones at Marathalli, better avoid using 4 wheelers ( they are sending back people), take care while driving today
I think that's just a rumor. I didn't see such activity around there.
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:23   #12563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I can just imagine the state of the roads in the nation on Monday the 5th when all the monsters come rushing back in to Bangalore from their sojourns out of the city!
Er, not monday, Tuesday 6th - As monday also is a holiday/optional holiday for many companies (Ganesh Chaturthi). My colleagues who were desperately trying to get accommodation have to settle for the not so good options as most preferred locations are all chock-full. I pity people going there - will be no different from a regular day @ BLR, with KA vehicles hogging the road.
Mysore To BLR road would be a place to AVOID on Monday night

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
This luxury is only reserved for the Bangalore boys (Mannine magas of the city). For many folks like us, long week ends are for those quick home town trips (and may be one off the case tourism oriented trip). Most of the leaves any ways would get eaten up because if we have to go to home town for our festivals (Onam for eg.). One thing I envy my friends back at the home state is the advantage they have of enjoying all good events with their own family & friends.
Nope, bro. This is the time YOU can invite people from your hometown to come visit you! I do this many times! I tell them to visit me in BLR during
these days. Take them for a day-outing to bannerghatta park, etc. Crowds also would be less!

When YOU have to go, I'm sure you don't want to go in near bumper-to-bumper traffic for your vaccations! if at all you have to go, avoid taking your car and use trains/buses!
haria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 12:46   #12564
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if the highways coming in to Bengaluru can waive off the toll fees on such days. The money saved for the nation due to unwasted fuel will be good enough. I am pretty sure they are not making any losses in their operations anyway.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 15:28   #12565
Senior - BHPian

Been sitting in my reading list:

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/acl...e-traffic.html

40K Crore will be spent on the Metro that would eventually serve 15% of the population. So much that there is nothing left to spend on the remaining 85%.

Something has to give, I guess.
Old 3rd September 2016, 15:53   #12566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
40K Crore will be spent on the Metro that would eventually serve 15% of the population.
According to the article, 40K crore is the cost of completion of phase 2. And that serves only 15% of commuter population? How did they come up with this figure of 15?
Old 3rd September 2016, 17:13   #12567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
According to the article, 40K crore is the cost of completion of phase 2. And that serves only 15% of commuter population? How did they come up with this figure of 15?
I had posted this link earlier - it is from the BMRCL MD himself:

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/icI...c-problem.html

Quote:
Pradeep Singh Kharola, managing director of BMRCL, said that at the end of Phase II, which will take the total length to 72 km, the metro will be able to connect 10-15% of the city.
Old 4th September 2016, 17:37   #12568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Been sitting in my reading list:

http://www.livemint.com/Politics/acl...e-traffic.html

40K Crore will be spent on the Metro that would eventually serve 15% of the population. So much that there is nothing left to spend on the remaining 85%.

Something has to give, I guess.
Is the above statement akin to Pareto's Diagram VITAL FEW, TRIVIAL MANY. I thought much much more than 15% of the population will use the Metro.
Old 4th September 2016, 17:42   #12569
Distinguished - BHPian

At least I find the road from Baiyappanahalli to MG road far less crowded than before. I clear most signals in one shot compared to before where some signals took two or three rounds to clear. Hence at least there is a reduction in the traffic in the metro corridor.
Old 5th September 2016, 21:41   #12570
Senior - BHPian

Any one traveled this evening on Mysore road to Bangalore or Mysore? Just checking on the situation in the wake of today's Supreme court order to release Kaveri water to TN.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks