Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 10:37   #4336
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Isn't this one of the earliest flyovers of Bangalore? Probably technology wasn't so advanced then ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Right that is probably the 2nd flyover in Blore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I could feel the fly over shake! Correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
All flyovers are designed to flex and shake a little bit.
Totally agree. Old flyover, old technology, flyovers are meant to shake to avoid cracks. But , I felt this shaking was way beyond a thin frail flyover like this one could handle. My science is bad, but i thought the pressure exerted by moving vehicles is less compared to the stationery weight of vehicles in a small area along with the shake.

Anyways, it is an old story and definitely was a scary experience then.

I use it everyday to work and mostly its a smooth ride with out stops, except for weekends towards double road.
Old 5th April 2013, 11:34   #4337
Senior - BHPian

Don't know if this is OT or not, but I am just shocked at the situation of Bangalore. Read This:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19372173.cms

Quote:
A 25-year-old youth died after he was assaulted for questioning a motorcyclist wheeling on road in HSR Layout on Tuesday night.
I am speechless !! I see many of us stare, smile, get frustrated on the city traffic and such morons. But please don't engage in any kind of altercation with anyone on the street. Play Safe guys.
Note: If you are frustrated and want to do something, please take a secret picture of the culprit with your mobile cam and post it on BTP or Bangalore Police FB Page. It should be possibly taken care of.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:37   #4338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Don't know if this is OT or not, but I am just shocked at the situation of Bangalore. Read This:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/19372173.cms

This is ridiculous! I mean no matter what is done to the culprit, the poor guy is gone without any fault of his and his family shall suffer for ever! Can't believe it!

Even yesterday while coming to office, I saw a quarrel between a taxi owner and a biker at the signal where the road bifurcates to HSR layout and Agara (coming from Koramangala 1st Block). The biker was politely saying something and the taxi guy suddenly got a rock and tried to hit him on his head!!! He was threatening but could have actually hit had he lost it completely. Seriously this is utter chaos.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:21   #4339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
My science is bad, but i thought the pressure exerted by moving vehicles is less compared to the stationery weight of vehicles in a small area along with the shake.
It is the other way round. For one, the aerodynamic forces on a moving automobile are designed to act as a net downward force on the vehicle (opposite of the design principle of an airplane).
Old 6th April 2013, 17:02   #4340
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday (Friday) evening around 7.15pm, C V Raman Nagar exit towards Michael Palya/Old Madras road side witnessed very slow moving traffic (incoming lane to C V Raman Nagar was blocked due to an accident).
Luckily, there was a cop to control traffic and he wasn't allowing vehicles to turn into C V R Nagar from there and was asking them to proceed to the other entrance near Gitanjali Layout. There were 2 vehicles, an SUV and a BMTC parked there.
On my return an hour later, I saw the bus wasn't there anymore but the SUV was - it was a new Pajero that had front bumper, wheel arches, etc damaged, seems like it had brushed against the bus

The Mitsubishi service guys (roadside assistance? they were all in uniforms) were trying to get the vehicle out of the place safely.

Last edited by NPV : 6th April 2013 at 17:05.
Old 6th April 2013, 18:22   #4341
Senior - BHPian

Some advice for Bangalore Drivers (Including Riders) .

And something really nice which caught my attention .
Source is again Facebook.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-563745_469013939835490_2075389086_n.jpg

Note from Support: Picture removed as it contained offensive material.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th April 2013 at 05:48. Reason: See note.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 20:54   #4342
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Some advice for Bangalore Drivers (Including Riders) .
Sourced from Facebook.

And something really nice which caught my attention .
Source is again Facebook.
Love that Dinosaurs sticker!
Really excellent humour...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 18:20   #4343
Senior - BHPian

I had a minor accident today on the stretch from Chandapura to Dommasandra. This is a neat two-lane road. Free of potholes and humps. The road has been so for the 4 - 5 years. It used to be deserted even during the day time back then, so I used to go by bike without wearing helmet.

These days, lots of trucks take that route to avoid going through the city when they come from Hosur side and need to go to Kolar side.

My Palio was doing about 60 kmph and was overtaking an old man riding his TVS Luna. I guess I had an intution, I slowed down a little. Sure enough, this man suddenly tried turning right. I swerved right, and his Luna ended up hitting my left side doors. I stopped on the right side and saw that the old man was unhurt. An old lady came to me started shouting "ninnade tappu, ninnade tappu" (your fault, your fault). I said, "baayi muchkond hogamma" (shut your mouth and go, mother). I feel proud, I shouted at a woman for the first time in my life!

So I spoke to the old man. He was easily 70+. He said he owns some fields on one side of the road, and lives nearby, on the other side. He uses the Luna to go between his fields and home, and he was on his way home for lunch. I asked him why he didn't use his indicators. He seemed blank. So I switched on the indicator of my car and showed him. He said that light is too feeble for anyone to notice. So I switched on the indicator on his Luna. And along with proper functioning lights, it had an audible indicator too! So I explained to him how to use it, and also told him to use it liberally on this road because the number of trucks is too much now. I told him that it was a small car he collided with, and that saved him. If it were a big truck, he'd probably come under its wheels. I told him that I was slow, and some trucks can be much faster (I have seen empty tippers going much faster). I really hope he understood. I am pretty sure he has no licence, although I did not ask him that. I felt that he understood my points clearly, but was reluctant to listen to me because I am less than half his age.

I hope I have saved one old man from getting involved in an accident in future. Sadly, I missed to lecture him on the importance of helmet :-(
rohanjf is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2013, 21:00   #4344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I had a minor accident today on the stretch from Chandapura to Dommasandra. This is a neat two-lane road. Free of potholes and humps. The road has been so for the 4 - 5 years. It used to be deserted even during the day time back then, so I used to go by bike without wearing helmet.:-(
Nice to know that both have come out unscathed. And am pleasantly surprised to know that you were not mobbed considering you were driving the bigger vehicle.

The mindset of our folks staying on the outskirts of the city is the same all around Bangalore (atleast). Most of the 2 wheelers are not insured, emission check not done, riders seldom wear helmet only because cops don't conduct frequent checks as done within the city. Unfortunately they don't see the other side of these highly important things.
Old 9th April 2013, 10:24   #4345
BHPian

Since last few days, I don't see any cop at AXA signal (29th Main & ORR intersection) in BTM. So, the signal lights are left to operate in fully automated mode as against cops trying to operate the lights to regulate the traffic in the past. Surprisingly, the traffic on 29th Main is moving fast and I didn't face the traffic pile up since then.

Do you guys think, signal lights operating in fully automated mode is helping? Or the traffic in general is less these days?

PS: I was at the AXA signal today at 9AM and during this time, generally witness the peak hour traffic.
Old 9th April 2013, 14:56   #4346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
Do you guys think, signal lights operating in fully automated mode is helping? Or the traffic in general is less these days?
I have seen that whenever cops have taken over a traffic signal, it has resulted in long waits. Thats mostly because they seem to hold up traffic for so long that eventually people in the front of the stopped traffic start crawling and when they are halfway through the intersection, the cop gives them the go ahead, waiting for traffic from the next road to start losing patience.

So, I think your observation is spot on!!
Old 9th April 2013, 15:24   #4347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since last few days, I don't see any cop at AXA signal (29th Main & ORR intersection) in BTM. So, the signal lights are left to operate in fully automated mode as against cops trying to operate the lights to regulate the traffic in the past. Surprisingly, the traffic on 29th Main is moving fast and I didn't face the traffic pile up since then.

PS: I was at the AXA signal today at 9AM and during this time, generally witness the peak hour traffic.
Since I take this route everyday, I have seen lesser traffic everywhere starting from Banashankari since yesterday
Old 9th April 2013, 18:08   #4348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

100% agree with you. I believe that the cops, in order to ease traffic flow from Udupi Garden and Silk Board signals, highly neglect the 29th main side traffic. They keep the other sides open for about 3mins each as opposed to 15seconds on 29th main.

But again, I can also think that the coming long Ugadi weekend has reduced motorists on road too.
Old 9th April 2013, 22:15   #4349
BHPian

2 Simple rules for bikers in bangalore. Avoid riding behind/side of an auto rickshaw. Because;

1. Bangalore has potholes for roads. Auto drivers randomly cut right, left etc if they see these potholes without looking out for bikers behind them or on their left or right. Result = Crash, brake, skid, skinned palms, cut pants, and bruised knees. Seen this happen countless times in bangalore. Have learned the hard way too.

2. 95% of bangalore auto's have no silencers/mufflers as per O.E Spec. Result = You will go deaf and you will run short of breath breathing in blue 2 stroke fumes.

Today saw the worst thing that could happen. A lady on an activa being cut off on the right turn at Mosque road junction. Her kid sitting with her in the front were thrown off 5 feet aside in peak traffic and the auto guy jumped the scene.
Old 9th April 2013, 22:29   #4350
Senior - BHPian

I am new to Bangalore, having recently moved here from Delhi NCR.

What i find most strange about the traffic here:

1) The buses, trucks and other heavy vehicles ply on the right most lane.

Is this by some rule or due to lack of traffic awareness?

2) The Auto wallas seem to be the king of the roads here. Charge 100 Rs. flat for just 5 kms. Refuse to go by meters. :(

Any inputs/suggestions?

Last edited by DCEite : 9th April 2013 at 22:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks