Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2014, 09:16   #6241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
The question on implementing it is a big one. How will they track people with high beams on? Surely, they would not be jumping into the middle of the road at night.
. Yes, they catch you in the "traditional" way. I.e you will see one constable just slowly moving from the side walk to your vehicle, and ask you to pull over. How do I know? I recd. an MV Petty Case last week, some where near Electronics City Bangalore. Rs. 100 is the fine, and receipt was provided. There was another driver who was cribbing that how do he know when to put low beam. The SI said that you know, you have to put the low beam when you get caught - like this time :. And then he continued that any where in Bangalore city limits low beam is the norm.

To summarise - there is no scientific way the police is using to detect high beam. It is the Traffic Constable's words against yours.
Old 8th July 2014, 09:38   #6242
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Pipe laying work is going on in full swing on the Begur road. Vehicles are allowed to go from Bommanahalli junction onwards towards begur while the return route is blocked. Looks like one more mayhem in progress.
Old 8th July 2014, 14:03   #6243
Senior - BHPian

Saw the policemen trying to stop two and three wheelers who were jumping the red light on the OMR. There were 5 instances in front of me and each and everyone just sped past the policeman, narrowly missing him. No fear, no respect for the policeman who was trying to do his duty. Sad.
Old 8th July 2014, 14:19   #6244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Pipe laying work is going on in full swing on the Begur road. Vehicles are allowed to go from Bommanahalli junction onwards towards begur while the return route is blocked. Looks like one more mayhem in progress.
Work will go on for 10 more days as per BTP FB update. This road was dug up a few months ago for BWSSB work and again now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Saw the policemen trying to stop two and three wheelers who were jumping the red light on the OMR. There were 5 instances in front of me and each and everyone just sped past the policeman, narrowly missing him. No fear, no respect for the policeman who was trying to do his duty. Sad.
2 cops were suspended for stopping and allegedly hitting a youth yesterday on Old Madras Road, although newspaper reports are conflicting. I feel sorry for these cops.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/37923015.cms

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../37915712.cms?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 8th July 2014 at 14:22.
Old 8th July 2014, 14:25   #6245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post

2 cops were suspended for stopping and allegedly hitting a youth yesterday on Old Madras Road, although newspaper reports are conflicting. I feel sorry for these cops.
Agree bro. I have seen so many cases where the people just start shouting and abusing the policemen as soon as they get caught. And they are caught for breaking rules, not without a reason. Then people gang up against the police men and thats the end of it. I thought the ganging up was only against people like us, the service class but even the policemen arent spared.

I have started feeling that the policemen are not the hunters, they are the hunted.
Old 8th July 2014, 14:46   #6246
Distinguished - BHPian

I was driving on old Airport Road today on the EGLP lane. Saw that a motorbike turning left out of EGLP entrance took a steep turn (when don't they?) and bumped an employee waiting on foot at the bus stop. She did take a fall, bruising the arm and had pains on the other arm where the bike handle hit. Had to stop to check if everything's ok and it seemed so. Dropped her at a more peaceful bus stop in Koramangala as it was on my route.

These bike rider's callousness is amazing. They knock/bump/scrape into other vehicles and continue on as if nothing happened which I'm used to but people as well? Such incidents can be completely averted if they just open both their eyes and drive sanely, instead of taking either steep turns kissing the pavement or gigantic turns enveloping 3 lanes depending on their mood.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 15:25   #6247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
She did take a fall, bruising the arm and had pains on the other arm where the bike handle hit. Had to stop to check if everything's ok and it seemed so. Dropped her at a more peaceful bus stop in Koramangala as it was on my route.
Good Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
These bike rider's callousness is amazing. They knock/bump/scrape into other vehicles and continue on as if nothing happened which I'm used to but people as well? Such incidents can be completely averted if they just open both their eyes and drive sanely, instead of taking either steep turns kissing the pavement or gigantic turns enveloping 3 lanes depending on their mood.
Bangalore is a city where buses jump red signals (I thought that was impossible). Now imagine the biker - very less space on the road for him and he in turn rides like a maniac. I have a lot of sympathies for bikers, cyclists and pedestrians on the road but what I cannot tolerate is bikers riding on footpaths.
I mostly drive to work but the odd day I have to take my bike out, it is a nightmare,with the endless honking, fear of being side swapped or worse run over by a heavy vehicle and little to no regard for the bike on the road. It is in this light that we need to see the actions of the biker.
However, all these does not give me the right to run people over and ride like a maniac.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 8th July 2014 at 15:26.
Old 8th July 2014, 18:04   #6248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975
The comments in Times of India is also pointing to a specific situaton. People can go through it and make their own inferences. Police men in Bangalore have been victims of assault, and this is on the increase. I feel their own superior ranked officers (read IPS) need to take this up with the politicians. All said and done as the saying goes - "rule of law ends at the police man's boots". If the police man (the constable) cannot enforce a rule, then there is no rule, no law and order (courts etc. come up way up in the chain). I don't know if Bangalore Police have any organisation which represents them and their interests. They cannot have trade unions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy
I thought the ganging up was only against people like us, the service class but even the policemen arent spared.
Ideally the police should have used video cameras to shoot such MV rule violations and send the notice to the culprits. But how many of the vehicles in Bangalore have their present valid addresses entered in the RTO database? So then the only way is to stop vehicles and issue a notice (or levy a spot fine).
Old 8th July 2014, 19:04   #6249
Team-BHP Support

The only way to get a true picture is if they video everything. They should have merely confiscated the bike.

In other news today, cops where pulling taxis, two wheelers without helmets, off the road between Bellamdur and Sarjapur for checks. A Siemens bus was pulled over at Adugodi but appeared in my rear view mirror 5 min later
Old 9th July 2014, 12:05   #6250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The only way to get a true picture is if they video everything. They should have merely confiscated the bike.
Confiscation would take time. A "Tiger" has to be summoned on the wireless to pick up the vehicle away. And considering that this chap (the rider who rode triples) managed to get a few of his friends and relatives during this short time, this idea would not have worked out. The rider & friends would have "confiscated" the bike in no time. What needs to be done in such situations is to pull back, but come back at the rider with more force. Now looks like the rider has gone the happy way, and the police man on duty received the brick bats.

A question (which I am sure none of us can answer) is did the rider who violated the MV law fined? Or what was done to ensure that he would not do such a thing again?
Old 9th July 2014, 12:49   #6251
BHPian

Today, left for my office late and in order to reach Graphite India Signal, I took the railway crossing road instead of my usual Marathahalli Bridge. Absolute chaos. BTRAC has made diversions in such a way that it is a one way for going either side.

So followed the road (which is pathetic) and stood patiently in line. The gates then closed for the train to pass by. It's here that our heroes and heroines on the road, started to take the one way as well to get to the gates. First it was the bikes and then the cabs and private cars. It was so choked that even after 20 minutes of the gates opening, I (who was 2nd in line to cross the gates) was stuck giving passes to people who had obviously had no common sense whatsoever so that the traffic gets going. The same continued till I had to take my right. And most of the commuters included our so called highly paid & educated youth!

Total Time taken from the Railway Crossing to the Graphite India signal a 'mere' 1 hour 20 minutes

Last edited by pratyush6 : 9th July 2014 at 12:54.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 13:04   #6252
BHPian

Can't agree more to the topic discussed. I am a beginner, driving my car from the past 2/3 months and I am having nightmares already. Pedestrians not walking on the footpath but on the roads, autos turning left right with no indicators, silent volvos (since their engine is towards the rear), reckless driving of TTs, DVD coach buses, continuous honking of Indiacs, Taveras and last but not the least, bikers twisting turning making way through the slighest possible gap. A guy already touched my car couple of weeks back. :(

But what I feel most disappointing is that apart from few, most of the drivers dont respect a L board (I have 2 Ls on my car, front n back). I used to panic initially but now I am kinda ok and got used to this kind of behavior on roads. So basically, learning on the go.
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 13:36   #6253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Today, left for my office late and in order to reach Graphite India Signal, I took the railway crossing road instead of my usual Marathahalli Bridge. Absolute chaos. BTRAC has made diversions in such a way that it is a one way for going either side.

So followed the road (which is pathetic) and stood patiently in line. The gates then closed for the train to pass by. It's here that our heroes and heroines on the road, started to take the one way as well to get to the gates. First it was the bikes and then the cabs and private cars. It was so choked that even after 20 minutes of the gates opening, I (who was 2nd in line to cross the gates) was stuck giving passes to people who had obviously had no common sense whatsoever so that the traffic gets going. The same continued till I had to take my right. And most of the commuters included our so called highly paid & educated youth!

Total Time taken from the Railway Crossing to the Graphite India signal a 'mere' 1 hour 20 minutes
Been there done that.
I used to take that road to avoid the mess in Kundalahalli signal.
But after they made the one-way system I have completely avoided the stretch. Believe the one way was enforced primarily by the hospital which is in the corner of the service road.
Moreover, the one way road that leads from ORR towards the railway gate and then towards Graphite India are in a very pathetic state that the I had a couple of scrappings.
Even avoided taking my two-wheeler in the road.
When the gate is down for a train to cross, our so called "educated morons" occupy both the lanes. Was invariably "getting" abuses for being in my lane and blocking the lane jumpers.
Yesterday morning it took me 45 mins to reach ORR from road before Graphite India signal.
I should be convincing myself to stay put in the kundalahalli stretch itself.
Old 9th July 2014, 13:45   #6254
BHPian

As mentioned elsewhere on this thread the main problem I feel Bangalore suffers from is the "educated". If they cannot drive following rules, I don't think we should expect auto guys, or TT drivers or Cab drivers to. On Sarjapur Road, it has become difficult to even walk on the side of the road because you have vehicles coming up behind you on the wrong side!! Bikes ride on the wrong side all the time. Funny thing is that they get cheesed off if you say anything as if it is their birth right. There are many times I just stop my car in front of a vehicle coming the wrong way to try and make him turn around (like that will ever work!! ) The other day I found an XUV 5OO coming down the wrong way in peak traffic! Where do these people get the sense or the guts to do it? I'm pretty sure cops can't do anything because there are way too many errant drivers and not enough cops. I wish they could select a few people from the general public to confiscate licenses and hand them over to the cops, something like traffic wardens. I for one, would definitely sign up!
rjun04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 14:45   #6255
Distinguished - BHPian

Returning from EC this morning I spotted 4 morons on 2 scooters on the BETL driving the wrong way, i.e. on the other side! They were at least 1 km away from the start of the BETL (Silk Board side), and were merrily laughing and joking.

Even more worryingly, they were at a speed of at least 40km/hr!

God help all of us.

Last edited by itwasntme : 9th July 2014 at 14:46. Reason: Clarification
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks