Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:19   #8101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Jayadeva flyover may be demolished to make way for the metro. Get ready for more misery.

Source
Is demolition the only solution. Did BMRCL consider other options. I remember citizens some of them who are retired civil engineers coming up with alternate proposals which BMRCL was not willing to pay heed to.
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:58   #8102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Is demolition the only solution.
I am happy that a badly designed structure is coming down. Wish they replace with something useful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Police propose reversal of traffic on Richmond and Residency road.
This flyover has been a 'confused structure' since its construction. Since it is there, people try to find some use. Its time they bring it down and end all these work-arounds.

Last edited by msdivy : 22nd April 2015 at 14:03.
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:11   #8103

Talking about bad designs - when you are coming down from the new nagavara flyover going towards hebbal, you are staring at the service road divider right on your face. Dunno which idiot designed it.
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:21   #8104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I am happy that a badly designed structure is coming down. Wish they replace with something useful.
This flyover has been a 'confused structure' since its construction. Since it is there, people try to find some use. Its time they bring it down and end all these work-arounds.
Once it is gone, it is gone forever. Don't expect something to come up there any soon.
In the end, we all will end up with another silkboard junction.

Let BMRCL find another alternative. I am against demolishing the flyover, for whatever minimal purpose it serves.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:56   #8105
Distinguished - BHPian

Ferocious hailstorm and the worst rain I have seen in 10 years in North Bangalore. Gridlock in CBD too.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 08:54   #8106
Senior - BHPian

KA 02 MG 141 - Silver Etios with Black Tints - This fellow was rashly driving between Kundanahalli Junction till Atos Origin (Gopalan/CMRIT). Highly intimidating and dangerously tailing and cutting across lanes !!
Lowered the glass and shouted at me, I remained calm and didn't make any eye contact with him. This is the best way to ignore these rowdies.
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:10   #8107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
KA 02 MG 141 - Silver Etios with Black Tints - This fellow was rashly driving between Kundanahalli Junction till Atos Origin (Gopalan/CMRIT). Highly intimidating and dangerously tailing and cutting across lanes !!
Lowered the glass and shouted at me, I remained calm and didn't make any eye contact with him. This is the best way to ignore these rowdies.
Need a rogues gallery on this forum
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:25   #8108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
You did the sensible thing Mate. These thugs/morons cannot be reformed. Let us reform our-self by learning to be calm while driving.
Old 23rd April 2015, 16:13   #8109
Senior - BHPian

Ultimate rant
Upset by lack of road rage opportunities, software engineer quits job in Bangalore and returns to Delhi
Looks like most of our rants are actually not true at all.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 19:17   #8110
BHPian

Today its the turn of east bangalore. Very very heavy rain, gusty wind and ferocious hailstorm. Knocked off the power here. Saw people taking refuge under metro line
Old 23rd April 2015, 22:46   #8111
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Ultimate rant
Upset by lack of road rage opportunities, software engineer quits job in Bangalore and returns to Delhi
Looks like most of our rants are actually not true at all.
That's a link to "Faking News". Seems more appropriate on the joke thread than this one
Old 24th April 2015, 01:20   #8112
BHPian

In the city where even a sneeze brings it to a crawl, today's hailstorm had to bring it to a standstill. Anything less, and it would have been an insult to everything the city's traffic stands for.

THE UGLY:
I start back from my office in CV Raman Nagar early by a quarter past 5 and reach home in Bellandur in about 45 minutes. Have hardly finished congratulating myself when I notice the dark clouds and thunder. In no time it's pouring. Immediately know it's going to get ugly. Call my wife up, who has recently started going to ITPL (but where else?) for a client project, and warn her of a long commute (she drives to work). She eventually starts at 8 and as expected finds herself in crawling traffic all the way to Marathalli bridge. Then the saga begins

9.00 PM:
Me: Kahaan ho?
Wife: Marathalli bridge

9.15 PM
Me: Have you touched ORR yet?
Wife: Still on Marathalli bridge, we've barely moved a few meters. I'm starting to get a headache.

9.30 PM
Wife: Dont think this traffic is going anywhere. Its a friggin logjam.

I quickly check on google maps and it confirms the situation. ORR is a solid block of Red all the way to Ecospace with dashes of yellow thrown in for consolation

10.00 PM
Wife (in panic mode): I'm still trying to get off Marathalli bridge onto ORR. I have a blinding headache, a terrible vertigo-like feeling and I seriously can't drive anymore without ramming into someone.

I tell my wife to pull off the road the first opportunity she gets, park the car and put the blinkers on. I tell her I'll come and drive her back home. She eventually makes it till Yo! China opposite Park Plaza and parks the car.

THE BAD:
I am in a rush and take the first available transport I see - a private bus (Mistake. Should have taken an auto), complete with a "home theater system" designed to blow you away. I clutch my head in despair and wait for the 5 KM marathon to end. We eventually crawl our way to Park Plaza in a relatively quick 30 mins and as I get down from the bus, I almost get run over by a biker who has managed to squeeze himself between the bus and the drain on the left. Yup, he gives me the famous "are you stupid?" glare too.

THE GOOD:
Yeah, there's a good in the story too. As l look at the impossible task of crossing the ORR, a cabbie (yeah, a cabbie) just stops and motions for me to cross. He must've noticed my surprise cos he motions again for me to get moving. Cars in the other lanes notice me as well and slow down enough to let me across. I finally get to the car (Dont think my wife has ever been so happy to see me in her life ) and after almost 2 hours from when the logjam started, I get the car moving again and reach home in 15 minutes.
Oh, and before I forget. Another positive out of the entire episode was that it prevented me from wasting another evening on a worthless IPL match. As a wise man once said - When life hands you lemons, you gotta make lemonade.
TwentyDeewar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 05:12   #8113
BHPian

Quote:
I guess most of the Indian cities are in the same boat as that of bangalore or may be slightly better off. Or is it that Bangalore traffic / roads infrastructure has virtually taken a severe beating??

May be folks from Delhi,Chennai,Mumbai, Kolkata and Hyderabad can throw more light on what is the state of affairs in these cities
I moved from Bangalore to Hyderabad recently. I still visit back once in a few months. Dont get me wrong, I still love Bangalore, and feel a strong emotional bond to it whenever I return. But Bangalore roads are really, really bad, and I am surprised that each time I return, it gets a little worse. Hyderabad roads are infinitely better, in comparison.
I do not usually drive in the old-city areas, and stick to the business district & IT hubs only... but then this was true of my Bangalore commute as well. Roads in Hi-tech city are wide, divided, and well laid out, with no pot-holes in sight. Minor roads in residential areas have potholes, but these are repaired fairly quickly.
Roads in the business district of Jubiliee Hills/Banjara hills are also similar, except that the metro construction has made them narrower (still, a lot better than the average Bangalore road). Compare that to the mess of Whitefield, Marathalli, CV Raman Nagar etc. where there is just no road anymore!
Old 24th April 2015, 08:06   #8114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyDeewar View Post
In the city where even a sneeze brings it to a crawl, today's hailstorm had to bring it to a standstill. Anything less, and it would have been an insult to everything the city's traffic stands for.

THE UGLY:
I start back from my office in CV Raman Nagar early by a quarter past 5 and reach home in Bellandur in about 45 minutes. Have hardly finished congratulating myself when I notice the dark clouds and thunder. In no time it's pouring. Immediately know it's going to get ugly. Call my wife up, who has recently started going to ITPL (but where else?) for a client project, and warn her of a long commute (she drives to work). She eventually starts at 8 and as expected finds herself in crawling traffic all the way to Marathalli bridge. Then the saga begins
I would suggest your better half to travel in cabs like OLA, taxi for sure etc.. to office for work
The advantages include:
1. No need to drive so no tension. After a day's work you are mentally tired looking into the computer/laptop screen continuously.
2. By taking your personal vehicle for office commute, you are spending a lot that includes fuel cost (due to start stop traffic), vehicle maintenance due to wear and tear. All this will be avoided if you opt for cab.
3. Mother of all reasons. You must have heard the proverb TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORNS. If you have to survive driving in bangalore traffic, you have to be a cabbie driver. These guys somehow know the knack of wriggling through whatever space they get to keep inching forward. I have seen the same in my office cab driver who drives a Chevy Tavera.

Hopefully these points are good food for thought.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 08:56   #8115
Senior - BHPian

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
I would suggest your better half to travel in cabs like OLA, taxi for sure etc.. to office for work

Hopefully these points are good food for thought.

Perfectly summed up, after a month of crawling for 50 mins - 1hour (each way 11 Kms ) of crawling from KR puram to whitefield I decided I have had enough. For the first time in the last 10 years, I opted for office cabs. Decided it's just not worth it. Waiting for the confirmation, a few days more and my car and left leg will thank me.

Last edited by sammyboy : 24th April 2015 at 08:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks