Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2017, 08:13   #14116
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
it is called common sense
Which we have discussed at length right from the first page of this thread till here .

Seems like they want to earn some brownie points when it comes to Corporate Social Responsibility and one of those fluke shots worth trying even when they know it will never hit the bulls-eye .
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 09:10   #14117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Wish you all good luck, Flipkart !
Bangalore traffic is not computer science problem, it is civil engineering problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
The solution is simple, it is a rare phenomenon nowadays on the road, it is called common sense
What exactly is common sense? Any example?
msdivy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 09:45   #14118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Which we have discussed at length right from the first page of this thread till here .

Seems like they want to earn some brownie points when it comes to Corporate Social Responsibility and one of those fluke shots worth trying even when they know it will never hit the bulls-eye .
To solve the traffic problem in Bangalore, first let us improve the basic road infrastructure by providing proper reflectors something that is missing in start of the flyover ramp. This results in an accident that is more than enough to create traffic snarls.
Do not provide bus stops just after a turning or at the end of the flyover.
Finally patch up the roads wherever required which will ensure traffic flow.
Last but not the least, SYNCHRONIZE the traffic signal. This will improve congestion to a great extent.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 10:23   #14119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Bangalore traffic is not computer science problem, it is civil engineering problem
Why always be cynical, nothing wrong in exploring for a solution. Let’s not become a generation of cribbers, let’s look for some positivist.
LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 12:44   #14120
BHPian

So today morning I had to drop someone from HSR side to airport for a 10 am flight. I left at around 640 am and reached by 8 taking ORR Hebbal route.

I did not dare come back through the city or ORR and instead took right from Hebbal and then came back through the NICE road. I met traffic at Hebbal and after that it was mostly good.

Route is much longer so it still took 130-2 hours but it was LOT less tiring. I feel li can still do some work today
Old 8th June 2017, 15:02   #14121
Senior - BHPian

Finally Bangalore metro Phase 1 is ready to run on June 18th. This should be massive relief in traffic around this areas.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...8-1614155.html
shamanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 09:25   #14122
BHPian

Frustrating morning when I was on my way to drop my daughter to school. A well dressed chap in a XUV 500 honks repeatedly for my motorcyle to give him way. There is a huge traffic jam, not 200 meters away, but yet, this person sees the urge to honk and startle my 4 year old perched on the bike. As I wave him past, he gives me a scornful look, and zooms past only to halt in 10 seconds at the jam. I reach him and ask him, cant he show any courtesy to others, where is the need to honk repeatedly when there is no room to go past. To which I hear back, who are you to tell me if I should have courtesy or not. He says, he honked twice already and I should have moved across to let him go.

I just don't understand the concept. A two-wheeler has full right to use a lane as a car does. In a road that is just one lane wide, a car cannot expect the two wheeler to go to the potholed edge just to let him pass. If he really wants to drive his SUV, he ought to at least pick a road that is suitable to the car, than go into narrow lanes and hassle everyone else. I was doing about 30kph in that street, which is practically as fast as one ought to decently drive in such a lane. Also given there was a huge pile up just 200 meters ahead, there was no where he could go. Yet he chooses to honk, and hassle instead of a few seconds of patience, when even he would have reached the same jam.

Cannot help but feel sad for these youngsters who have no sense of patience or decency or courtesy. What will they do in another 20 years!

By the way, I was on the other side of the road after dropping kiddo to school, when I noticed he was still stuck, unable to move through the heavy traffic in the wonderful SUV.

I wish him a very peaceful day ahead, as he has had his share of frustration already.

Kind regards,
Kiran
kirans is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 09:37   #14123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans View Post
I just don't understand the concept. A two-wheeler has full right to use a lane as a car does. In a road that is just one lane wide, a car cannot expect the two wheeler to go to the potholed edge just to let him pass.
Before this becomes a 2 vs 4 wheeler thing, my view is that this has less to do with the number of wheels as much as it does the person helming the wheel, I've been honked at a hundred times by two-wheelers from the back, asking me to move up, move left, move right.. sometimes if I have the space I let those restless beings go ahead, other times I just sternly warn them not to move and scratch the car in the process and if they need more motivation I just yell.

I have as much problems with a car occupying the middle lane as I do, a two-wheeler, the basic problem is lack of lane discipline.. as a result every motorist expects us to twist, turn and instantly liquify the solid vehicle to fit into the gaps that they see fit. This is wrong. Have I been bullied by SUV owners? Sure, and I was driving a car myself albeit a hatchback.. some are nice, some aren't.

Also there is a slight distrust in two-wheelers, in it that their general behavior affects people like yourself. Since the majority of them slide and fly over other vehicles, a normally driven, safe rider will be looked at as an oddball.

FYI, never interact about fairness or right of way in Bangalore roads.. the more you justify the more the aggressor will lash out, I swallow my pride each day and its not easy.. yet its just survival.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 09:54   #14124
BHPian

Quote:
Frustrating morning when I was on my way to drop my daughter to school. A. I reach him and ask him, cant he show any courtesy to others, where is the need to honk repeatedly when there is no room to go past. To which I hear back, who are you to tell me if I should have courtesy or not. He says, he honked twice already and I should have moved across to let him go.

I wish him a very peaceful day ahead, as he has had his share of frustration already.

Kind regards,
Kiran
My wife does not allow me venture out unless it is really needed, as it takes enormous effort to keep calm when the roads are filled with such morons.

I share this in every forum I am part of and I get trolled mostly for this. We as a nation does not have any respect for our fellow citizens/humans. We are the worst form of Cannibals in this planet.

Our patriotism is talking about some non existent pride and supporting Indian cricket team. Actual patriot is a person who puts the welfare of Nation and its people against his/her own greed or luxury(if not welfare or comfort). A nation can be judged by the way people behave in public places, but we are more interested in somebody's dirty linen.

Only if the X,Y,Z and what not generations are educated on this our country can never become a Super Power and will never see Ache din(No political intent in using this slogan).

Very tough traffic policing for immediate relief, and a structured and dedicated civic education at all levels for long term results, is the only solution.

I go ahead with taking a Cab only if the driver agrees not to overspeed, jump signals, drive zigzag or honk only if really needed, other wise I cancel the booking.
aadya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:02   #14125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Before this becomes a 2 vs 4 wheeler thing, my view is that this has less to do with the number of wheels as much as it does the person helming the wheel
Agreed. Thats fair. I have several vehicles at home myself, 2 scooters, 3 motorcyles and 3 cars. I have been driving for 20+ years in various parts of the country and in several countries outside. I am sometimes on a two-wheeler and at other times in my car. I drive around in a Fiero, a Standard 350, an Alto, a Palio and a Linea TJet. I strive to be patient, and wait, and never honk. A couple of seconds of waiting never harmed anyone.

I also desire the same treatment from fellow riders. However I don't expect this to happen in reality. Bangalore is the city where I was born and raised. I know how my city was 30 years ago, and I see in sadness how it is today.

As this is a thread for rants and frustration, I just posted it, to get it off my head.

As you rightly mentioned, one has to go though this everyday.

Kind regards,
Kiran
kirans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:26   #14126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also desire the same treatment from fellow riders. However I don't expect this to happen in reality. Bangalore is the city where I was born and raised. I know how my city was 30 years ago, and I see in sadness how it is today.
Population is the root cause, Bangalore's main problem is not only population but concentration of 99% of population in the south-east region. The city is massive, it needs to expand into new Bangalore and into northern end and as far as Mysore. I was a baby 30 years ago but even I still remember what life used to be here at that time, the primary problem is governance and ill-planned development. I hear news of Flipkart shooting into the limelight trying to solve the city's problems.. eh? First they should regulate their delivery men who ride like maniacs and stop in the middle of the road for deliveries (personal experience), also why are they centralizing their office to (no surprises here) ORR!!!! PR stunt? Absolutely.

Now time for comic relief, road rage is funny in Bangalore, almost stereotyped.. I was driving around and found a mini-tempo stopped in the middle of the road, as I honked I caught sight of the driver picking an argument with an autorickshaw guy, I had time to kill and frankly the sight of two goons going at it thrilled me a little so I got into a better spot off the road and watched.. slightly disappointed though.

Tempo Guy(TG) : AAAEEEEEEEEEE

Auto Guy (AG) : OOOUUUUUUUU

TG : *unmentionable expletive*

AG : *repeats the same unmentionable expletive*

TG : AAAAAIIEEEEEEEE

AG : OOOOUUUUUUU

TG : lifts his hand and moves it in the direction the of AG like a punch but stops short

AG : *More aggressive gestures*

*More foul language shared and violent threats given though I couldn't hear all of it* and both of them walk away to their respective vehicles.

For the 100 meter jam that it caused and 5 minutes of everyone's time that it wasted, I felt this skit was not paisa wasool. I wanted a rumble.
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:58   #14127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Population is the root cause, Bangalore's main problem is not only population but concentration of 99% of population in the south-east region.
One reason could be that the PSU-s of the IT World (Infosys, Wipro etc.) all set up shops in that area. Now these were the biggest employers in the IT field, and the employees (and wannabe employees) also started landing up in the same area. Smaller IT companies who also depended on the same available work force (poaching etc.) also set shop in the same vicinity. Just like how we have lots of eateries & hotels just outside the IT parks.

From what I have been observing is that the real huge IT companies (like the old BEL,HAL, BEML etc.) are facing tough situations. The "throw more bodies" kind of a business model which they survived on, is not going to be sustainable. Such companies would have to reduce fat and become slim beauties. With automation, better network infrastructure etc. today smaller companies (with a narrower but well focused business vision) can operate from even smaller cities/towns. Such companies may also opt for "experienced people" who are from the smaller town/city, and also willing to relocate. The change may not be visible very quickly, but over the time the IT expertise (now concentrating in Bengaluru) would get spread around.

Off course, there would be people who are kind of "entrenched" in Bangalore. People who have spent lakhs and crores to buy flats, or mid-way with kid's education etc.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 11:02   #14128
BHPian

Quote:
For the 100 meter jam that it caused and 5 minutes of everyone's time that it wasted, I felt this skit was not paisa wasool. I wanted a rumble.
I hear you! In Gurgaon, when ever there was a dispute, out came the lathis etc. In good old Bengaluru, voice attempts to do the maximum damage, and in a way thats better. They get their frustration out by shouting (I have done that too) and move on. No real damage

Anyway as you said the population growth and also the skewed growth is a problem. Patience is the key, and one tends to generally ignore and just go on with what one must do. However sometimes people are just plain rude, and perhaps its they being frustrated as well.
Old 9th June 2017, 11:04   #14129
Senior - BHPian

Last evening, I was travelling in my car near Ragi Gudda intersection. After stopping for a brief time, I continue on the right lane, an i10 just zooms to cut in from left side to the very small gap between me and the car in front. It almost hit my car and I had to brake hard to stop. As it happens, this car comes to stop at the next signal. A girl was driving with elders and kids in the car. I would have said something if it was a guy and just looked at her.

Saw that the car was a auto transmission car. It was very easy for her to keep the accelerator pressed and drive in a crazy manner. Thought a manual would curb such driving for majority of the people !
Old 9th June 2017, 12:19   #14130
BHPian

Quote:
I reach him and ask him, cant he show any courtesy to others, where is the need to honk repeatedly when there is no room to go past. To which I hear back, who are you to tell me if I should have courtesy or not. He says, he honked twice already and I should have moved across to let him go.
Kind regards,
Kiran
As most have pointed out, no one treats it as a 2 wheeler Vs 4 Wheeler thing, it is more about common sense and a bit of humanity. But when someone does this specially when a child on on board, I can only pity that fellow.

We have come to a stage when fines and rebuke are no longer a deterrent. What is next? Would people be made to get off their vehicles and shamed in public? Perhaps, but then we have journos and so called intellectuals who blabber everything but a solution.

And just one more request - in this crazy mad world, I would not recommend taking your child out on a bike. It is utterly dangerous and you are on the mercy of the lunatics on the road.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks