Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2017, 12:45   #15091
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Massive jam on NICE road between Clover leaf and Kanakapura exit. Has been this way since 8 AM. Anybody knows what happened? looks like an accident. Was much worse, but is actually getting better now.

Attachment 1705166
There was a truck (smaller one like eicher) that has crashed into a bigger truck and crushed the diesel tank of bigger one. Looked like high speed crash with fuel/oil on road that was covered by saw dust kind of material. small truck's front axle, wheels were all scattered around and cabin was ripped apart..

No pics as i was driving, rather crawling ..
Old 12th December 2017, 13:26   #15092
Team-BHP Support

Gridlock on ORR along the Wells Fargo-Aloft-JP Morgan stretch. Seems like a Bangalore special, no specific cause.

P.S. Looks like a broken down bus right in front of Aloft.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th December 2017 at 13:28.
Old 12th December 2017, 13:49   #15093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Massive jam on NICE road between Clover leaf and Kanakapura exit. Has been this way since 8 AM. Anybody knows what happened? looks like an accident. Was much worse, but is actually getting better now.
As expected, it was a major accident between 2 trucks, right before Kanakpura road exit; so was I told by a colleague.

Worst is that NICE toll staff doesn't even intimate those heading towards e-City about this. I have once been part of a rescue of a mangled Swift at 2200 hours and I know how NICE authorities denied even having one working crane to move the cars and when cops arrived and demanded the cars to be removed, the cops got an earful from someone sitting at NICE office over a phone call and I was shocked !

Cops even asked me and my friend that if required, next day I may need to come to the Police Station as witness to at least say that they exercised the basic protocols but their hands were tied beyond certain point as NICE authorities didn't even arrange for a crane to move the 2 cars.

Enough said about how NICE road folks must unlearn a lot of things; starting with road markings.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 15:52   #15094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Enough said about how NICE road folks must unlearn a lot of things; starting with road markings.
The NICE v/s Karnataka Govt. contract was one of the biggest blunders ever committed by the state's government & legal luminaries*. This is now pretty much a private road operated by NICE, with them having no obligations to NHAI or even the state government. The traffic police themselves now come up on NICE road only after an incident happens.

* Blunder may not be the right word, as there are rumours that the contract was made so one-sided, because a political family and NICE folks had once plans of sharing the loot. NICE folks also managed to trick the political family as well.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 16:48   #15095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Worst is that NICE toll staff doesn't even intimate those heading towards e-City about this.
Why do that and decrease the revenue.

Quote:
the cops got an earful from someone sitting at NICE office over a phone call and I was shocked
There was a debate earlier on NICE road terming the road out of jurisdiction of police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Blunder may not be the right word, as there are rumours that the contract was made so one-sided, because a political family and NICE folks had once plans of sharing the loot. NICE folks also managed to trick the political family as well.
What looks like blunder for you is a high return investment opportunity for someone else.

That said, there was a news about government re -considering lease terms of NICE road couple of weeks back. Not sure if any outcome of that. With election around the corner, don't think any dramatic outcome though.
Old 12th December 2017, 20:11   #15096
Distinguished - BHPian

With the infamous white-topping in progress between Hebbal and KR Puram, many ORR folk are now forced to venture into the morning rush heading from Hebbal to Mekhri Circle.

This has made the usual nightmare even worse. In the evenings, Palace Grounds is these days jam-packed with marriages.

My only hope is for people to head off for their year-end break! God help Bangalore.
Old 12th December 2017, 20:51   #15097
BHPian

This morning I noticed BTP had a signal working at Cauvery Theatre Junction. This stopped the traffic at the underpass and allowed vehicles to go straight towards Mekhri circle. When the signal is red for vehicles towards Mekhri circle, then the traffic from the underpass can join the main road. So much for the signal free corridor.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:09   #15098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
So much for the signal free corridor.
The "Signal free" corridor plan happened while Maggi was getting ready without even realising the tremendous increase in vehicular population In the last decade. Not to forget the outflow and influx of traffic to and from the Airport respectively.

From the past 5 or more years, peak hours become manned junctions : High grounds, Windsor Manor, Cauvery theatre.

Look at all the roundabouts that are back to square one now : Signals in place.
Old 12th December 2017, 21:11   #15099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
This morning I noticed BTP had a signal working at Cauvery Theatre Junction. This stopped the traffic at the underpass and allowed vehicles to go straight towards Mekhri circle. When the signal is red for vehicles towards Mekhri circle, then the traffic from the underpass can join the main road. So much for the signal free corridor.
I too saw this a few days back. However it was at night and the barriers were there. So my guess is the signal will be used instead of having the Police stand and guide the traffic once the barriers are removed Unless the barriers are removed at night also.
So this going back to how it used to be.
Old 13th December 2017, 07:38   #15100
BHPian

Brace for traffic. Trailer stuck in the railway underpass near RMZ infinity Old Madras Road, towards Hoskote
narsi_6989 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 08:53   #15101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Brace for traffic. Trailer stuck in the railway underpass near RMZ infinity Old Madras Road, towards Hoskote
What a moron that driver was. But it was very close. My hunch is that he would have gone under it when the truck was loaded and on his return journey he would have got stuck.

Reversing it would be a pain and finding an alternate route will be even difficult. Just hope it fits in the left underbridge and goes through.

EDIT: Looks like it's cleared.
Old 13th December 2017, 09:41   #15102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
High time that the authorities put up a height barrier at the entrance of each underpass. Have seen/heard so many instances of truckers getting stuck at underpasses and hampering traffic movement.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 09:48   #15103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
High time that the authorities put up a height barrier at the entrance of each underpass. Have seen/heard so many instances of truckers getting stuck at underpasses and hampering traffic movement.
They did put the barrier there. And this man tried to pass the height test there instead of the actual bridge. Else it would have created more havoc. Thankfully this barrier looked pretty well build and not just a pipe like in some places. It held back the truck after it passed under it for a meter or so. Had it collapsed then it would have been dangerous.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 09:52   #15104
Distinguished - BHPian

These poor trailer drivers should not be blamed for the mess. They need to be well informed that if they want to merely test, we have Madiwala underpass designed by BBMP since many years now where they can test the rigidity of the roof and then performance of their tires when under inflated.

It is a very regular affair here . Container trucks get stuck, cops come and release air pressure and truck is pulled by a JCB.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 19:55   #15105
Senior - BHPian

I was periodically capturing my travel time (home-office-home) using a home made tool. Started this in June-July time frame, and did some sampling till December. The commute was between Chandapura and ITPB, via Varthur.

Home to office:-
1. Average journey time during June, July was around 54 mins. From Sep all the way to December 1hr 4 mins. So an increase of around 10 mins of journey time.
2. The month of November seems to be the worst; I was actually starting early (when compared to start times of July), but actually reaching late. By the time I reached Varthur PS, I have lost what ever advantage I had by starting early.
3. The time spent to cover the distance from Varthur Kodi to ITPB is also increasing. Again, check the lines for August and November. And also between Decemeber and September.

The reason for the increase in travel time, most likely would be due to higher number of vehicles on the road between Varthur PS and ITPB. And also the metro related construction activity happening between Hope Farm Jn and ITPB.

Office to home:-
1. My observation is that it generally takes 1 hr 5 mins to cover this distance. This is even when I left office at around 18:30Hrs, 19:30Hrs & 17:30Hrs.
2. I was expecting an increase in time to reach Hope Farm from ITPB, because of the on going metro work. But that does not seems to be the case. It has been in the average to 6-7 mins. In the chart, I could observe that in the month of November, time taken to cover this stretch was marginally higher.
3. In all the lines, we can also notice that from Dommasandra the time lines are pretty smooth - i.e steady speed, and predictable time lines. In the month of November, you could also see a slight increase in time to clear the Muthanallur-Ramsagara-Chandapura stretch. Time lost is mainly at a very narrow road junction at Ramsagara.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cpura_itpb.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-itpb_cpura.jpg  

Last edited by sachinpk : 13th December 2017 at 19:57.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks