Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 18:52   #391
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Triumph motorcycles would be better off staying away from India. They cannot succeed here in my opinion. The name doesn't stikes a chord in your heart as HD does. The bikes are ugly. Add to it the fact that we Indians are obsessed with evrything american due to hollywood movies, as such this british marque holds little connect with us Indians.
And we all bite the bait....

But still...

Wow, some of us are salivating at the chance of seeing Triumph sell in India. As you will see from my signature, am waiting for the Bonneville. Might not be able to afford it but I can dream. Strike a chord? It totally does man! And for me, the HD is boring. Nothing to get excited about. To each his own.
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 19:55   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
And we all bite the bait....
Seriously!!
That post was too dramatic and obvious, but good enough that even someone like Ram sir bit the bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Wow, some of us are salivating at the chance of seeing Triumph sell in India. As you will see from my signature, am waiting for the Bonneville. Might not be able to afford it but I can dream. Strike a chord? It totally does man! And for me, the HD is boring. Nothing to get excited about. To each his own.
Same here. Dreaming of a Bonneville or a Street Triple. Insha allah, the day will come soon for us to ride our dream machines.
Old 25th June 2013, 20:44   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Seriously!!
That post was too dramatic and obvious, but good enough that even someone like Ram sir bit the bait!
Hi Viju - I agree Specially after a second reading. Hope chaudh2s takes it in a lighter vein as well.

But you know, whilst I respect HD for the machine it is - I hate what it stood for in some parts of the world. And when I see some one compare that with the legendary British Bangers, I forget to look beyond the obvious.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 25th June 2013, 22:11   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Viju - I agree Specially after a second reading. Hope chaudh2s takes it in a lighter vein as well.

But you know, whilst I respect HD for the machine it is - I hate what it stood for in some parts of the world. And when I see some one compare that with the legendary British Bangers, I forget to look beyond the obvious.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Hahha, hope chaudh2s does

Anyways, guess you are talking about the gangs and what HD riders usually stand for - or at least what the majority of them try to portray? I wouldn't have any first hand experience but have read so much about how HD riders are - I somehow think that is why I also don't want to ride a HD. Somehow puts me in the same slot. And I've read on forums like ADVrider also on how HD riders act.

Maybe this is what you were talking about.
Old 26th June 2013, 11:55   #395
BANNED

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Got 4 PM's in a span of half a day! Looks like my post struck & broke the chords of quite a few- TUNG. So, it seems we do have some fan following for triumph here in India. Went to triumph website to check out their range, and was quite surprised to see that they build a lot more bikes than the boneville and the other classics.

The generalization i made in my post happened because triumph name is a non entity here in India and whatever little people know of triumph is from photos,that car mags and websites display, and they always show that boneville from the triumph stand at auto shows. So this gave an impression that triumph makes only the classics family bikes, and hence the generalization about triumph brand.

I would admit that their cruisers, roadsters, adventure range is quite beautiful and particularly the cruisers have that typical HD look. But the classics range (boneville,scrambler, thruxton) are downrightly ugly- look too much like bajaj motorcycles from the 90's and that ugly royal enfield cafe racer concept bike they are showing off these days.

With regards to my previous post, i would like to modify it-their classics would be a flop in India but the cruisers, etc can do well depending upon how well they build up their brand before entering India. This is important

because (as i said earlier) HD brand is well known in India because of hollywood, so HD didn't have to do any brand building. But triumph is unknown to the majority barring a few bike lovers like you guys who drool at the sight of bikes - be it a moped or a boneville or a fat boy. At customer clinics and autoshows where they gauge public interest, fans like you leave no stones unturned to make manufacturers believe that they did the biggest mistake in their lifetime, not bringing their products to India, but when it comes to buying time, only a miniscule percentage of salivating fans turn up to be customers. ..and this does no good to the manufacturers bottomline.

An already small fan base turning into even micro customer base because of an unnknown brand. On the other hand a huge fan (created by arnie) turns into a small customer base(good for HD). After all, the ceo of triumph wouldn't want to be the most popular guy amongst Indians, he would do well to be the most successful guy to run the company.

I like HD because it is american (yes i am a wannabe indian american-anytime better than a wannabe colonial slave), is a big show off machine, makes a huge racket, turns heads, gives riding pleasure and makes you feel like wannabe arnie, etc,etc)-to each his own then-right.

On a lighter vein- Is the title "sir" bestowed onto r_nairtvm by someone here - granted by the queen of britain herself? (for being such a big protagonist of the british brand)

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2013 at 16:02.
chaudh2s is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th June 2013, 12:46   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
On a lighter vein- Is the title "sir" bestowed onto r_nairtvm by someone here - granted by the queen of britain herself? (for being such a big protagonist of the british brand)
Not bothering to reply to the rest of your post since I don't think it is worth it. It just shows how much (or how little) you really know about Triumph, and your assumptions on how much the rest of the people in this country know about it!

But since I am the one who referred to r_nairtvm as Sir, I must reply.

He is a senior (both by age and experience) and let us say, is one of the more respected people in this forum. And yes, this is on a serious note, not 'lighter vein'. He has multiple bikes including a Yamaha RD350 (which I hope you know is not British) he bought brand new from the showroom, so please think twice before calling anyone names.

Peace.
And ride safe, just in case you really are a biker.
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 17:14   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some positive developments on the 'much awaited Triumph entry into India'. I just found this news today.
The article says there is a change in their manufacturing plans which is not true. The launch was always going to be through the CKD route via the assembly plant in Manesar. The Narasapura plant is still a long way off and wouldn't be ready for at least another 2 years.

Quote:
AND was shocked to hear some "knowledgeable" guys say "Triumph have kinda shelved their India plans" :-(
That is not true. The first CKD bikes will start selling by end 2013 / early 2014. Triumph has big plans for India and a lot of new models are being lined up for this market.
amit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:28   #398
Senior - BHPian

Triumph will start delivering their bikes by September end or beginning of October 2013. This is confirmed news
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:32   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Triumph will start delivering their bikes by September end or beginning of October 2013. This is confirmed news
When would the bookings open?
Old 2nd July 2013, 15:35   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Before KTM launch the duke 690 at some crazy un believable price of 4.5L or lesser
Not going to happen. Ever. Absolutely. :(
Old 2nd July 2013, 16:43   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
When would the bookings open?
Most probably you can book a triumph by September end during festive season. Not sure whether they will launch some where near the guideline prices announced last year.
Old 5th July 2013, 11:14   #402
Senior - BHPian

Now it all boils down to the price. At least for me. :-D
Old 22nd July 2013, 19:01   #403
Senior - BHPian

Link from Overdrive http://overdrive.in/news/triumph-cou...a-by-end-2013/
Overdrive expects triumph could announce prices close to guideline prices announced during auto expo 2012. Intro prices could be for a limited period. Will be a fantastic deal IMO.
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:38   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Link from Overdrive http://overdrive.in/news/triumph-cou...a-by-end-2013/
Overdrive expects triumph could announce prices close to guideline prices announced during auto expo 2012. Intro prices could be for a limited period. Will be a fantastic deal IMO.
From my perspective puresly personally, two negatives:

Now they have shifted the goalpost yet again to the end of 2013. I would not bet any of my own money that this is the final shift either.

They are still a long way away, if at all, of putting up an Indian facility, and so the bikes will essentially be launched as efforts to test the waters, with limited period pricing, and wholly dependent on the Thailand facility and the vagaries of dollar-rupee fluctuations in the near future to follow.

The second point obviously is way more worrying. It clearly read-between-the-lines states that Triumph is no longer sure of their foray into India. At least that is the way I read it, don't know about the rest of you.

And if that happens, regardless of the attractive initial pricing (still conjecture of course), the initial lot buyers might well be in for a Funduro 650 or Ducati experience redux, in terms of future support and spares, in case Triumph up and decides that things are not going to work out.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd July 2013 at 13:40.
Old 24th July 2013, 12:56   #405
BHPian

Well, Autocar India has reported a Diwali launch through assembly in Manesar, Haryana; before the factory near Bangalore goes into production. Wonder which of these stories is correct.
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/350...ng-soon.aspx/0

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks