Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 11:57   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Well Sir, agree to your thoughts on the progress. We would need to ensure that we have sufficient maturity in terms of technology, cost, reliability before we embark on that journey. Question we would need to ask ourselves is are we in that stage? Going a bit OT, Mahindra has my immense respect for their rapid strides in their segment. They launched a industry standard XUV(X) and they are going great guns with solving the niggles(+1). Probably when they launch their next product they should ideally be in that X+1 stage rather than starting off from X-1.
Guess time would be the answer for this and we cannot reach any conclusion on that.
Its not so much just a matter of whether we are at that stage in term of domestic industry maturity or not. But how deep our pockets are. Not all Indian companies can do what Bajaj or Tata or Mahindra do. You only have to compare a Pulsar 200 NS to a Pulsar 220 to see what I am talking about.
Old 28th December 2012, 14:15   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Not another KTM for me. Looking for more than single/double pots. And I like your optimism! Me too living on the funda "Matter of time"
Thanks Shubz! That's exactly the reason I'm waiting on triumph. I'm hoping to be in the line on opening day for a street triple booking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
A Street Triple at around 5 Lacs would reallly set the cat amongst the pigeons though.

I see myself owning a Street Triplke too somewhere down the line (I am yet to digest the bug eyed headlights though from a purist angle). But equally I see another bike between now (Duke 200) and then (Street Triple) as well.

Most probably a KTM 390 "Adventure" (?) - which would be a perfect keeper for the hills.
You are lucky indeed, I don't have a bike now (ride my uncles Pulsar 220 when i can) and the situation at home will not permit me to buy one (every one is very scared given the traffic conditions on road in Bangalore), so while I would love to own something between now and then, I may get only one shot at owning the bike of my dreams so I'm waiting it out, albeit with a lot of angst. A street triple at that price point is a dream for us and will probably remain a dream. I feel as long as its price is perceived as VFM when compared to the competition they will sell, of course, if it is priced around the Ninja 650 range then it's bye bye birdie for all other companies.

Quote:
Its not so much just a matter of whether we are at that stage in term of domestic industry maturity or not. But how deep our pockets are. Not all Indian companies can do what Bajaj or Tata or Mahindra do. You only have to compare a Pulsar 200 NS to a Pulsar 220 to see what I am talking about.
The three companies in question are Indian companies and understand how we do business here (our wonderfully crazy along with the 6 day, slowish work culture can get frustrating. It's annoying even for returning NRIs let alone foreign companies setting up shop over here). Having said that, one only needs to look at Ford, Honda and Toyota to a lesser extent to see how foreign companies can offer brilliant products for Indian requirements. It is possible, but then, lets not forget these motorbikes we are talking about are aspirational brands and may not want all their products to be easily accessible. KTM was only known to the enthusiast bikers before the bajaj tie-up so they can get away with it. I highly doubt that Triumph wants to dilute the aura surrounding the Bonneville and Street Triple. They are going to be players in 200-800 cc market, just not by localizing parts and dropping prices on these bikes.
Old 28th December 2012, 16:16   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Thanks Shubz! That's exactly the reason I'm waiting on triumph. I'm hoping to be in the line on opening day for a street triple booking!
You never know. I may be there with the two of you as well. Or there may be a manic hooligan 690 cc single that may come in the way of my money and Triumph's cash registers .....

Quote:
You are lucky indeed
The only thing that happens by waiting is that you get older. There is no perfect bike. There are many really good bikes. My plan is simple - keep my standard 500 with me for life (I cannot part with the old lady now), and keep rolling the second bike (currently, a Duke 200) over.

Quote:
KTM was only known to the enthusiast bikers before the bajaj tie-up so they can get away with it. I highly doubt that Triumph wants to dilute the aura surrounding the Bonneville and Street Triple. They are going to be players in 200-800 cc market, just not by localizing parts and dropping prices on these bikes.
This is where you lost me bro. I never bought this low volume exclusivity spiel of some marques. All companies, cars or bikes, are businesses. Businesses exist to make money. Everyhting else is secondary. If Triumph can sell more bikes by designing, sourcing, manufacturing, partnering, selling in India, cheap - what would stop Triumph from doing that?

P.S. You say they are players in 200-800 cc market - what are their plans for lower cc bikes than the Bonni and the SS?
Old 28th December 2012, 18:32   #244
BHPian

Quote:
You never know. I may be there with the two of you as well. Or there may be a manic hooligan 690 cc single that may come in the way of my money and Triumph's cash registers .....
We'll be waiting Sirji, or we'll arrange a meet up to admire the beauts or beasts!

Quote:
The only thing that happens by waiting is that you get older. There is no perfect bike. There are many really good bikes. My plan is simple - keep my standard 500 with me for life (I cannot part with the old lady now), and keep rolling the second bike (currently, a Duke 200) over.
This is true, and it would be ideal, but in my case it would be an RD350 cafe racer I'd keep and roll over (or not) a second bike. But if dreams were Porsches....

Quote:
This is where you lost me bro. I never bought this low volume exclusivity spiel of some marques. All companies, cars or bikes, are businesses. Businesses exist to make money. Everyhting else is secondary. If Triumph can sell more bikes by designing, sourcing, manufacturing, partnering, selling in India, cheap - what would stop Triumph from doing that?
Okay so here is the thing, merely shifting bases to a low cost country will realize significant cost savings for any company. But there is a limit to how much cheaper you can manufacture a product before you start experiencing quality issues. There is room for maneuverability, but not as much as people seem to think. After all, raw material prices are the same every where in the world. In addition to which many companies may not want to dilute their brand image by selling more but cheaper. They'd rather sell less at higher margins.

Quote:
P.S. You say they are players in 200-800 cc market - what are their plans for lower cc bikes than the Bonni and the SS?
Word on the street is a cruiser around the bullet prices (350-400 cc) as well as a naked with same engine in it. There are also strong rumors of a multi terrain bike, maybe with a similar engine. These three bikes alone will take a couple of years to come to the market. After that and once triumph is well entrenched in Indian market, my gues is they will start developing and launching smaller bikes for South East Asian and South American markets.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 18:57   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm hoping to be in the line on opening day for a street triple booking!
I will join you guys as i am desperately waiting for Triumph ST and have finances ready to buy on Day1.

Got a foll reply from triumph when i expressed disappointment up on removing the word early (before 2013) on their indian website :

Hi Dhananjay,

Thanks for your email. We will still be launching next year, when things are in place and we can guarantee the right level of support for the customers of our bikes. Please bear with us whilst we do this, once that happens we will be making the relevant announcements on bookings and deliveries.

Best regards
India Enquiries

Zigwheels are expecting them to launch by june 2013. Let's wait and watch.
Some of my friends suggested to wait for street triple as i was contemplating booking a ninja 650. This waiting is getting bigger like a hanuman's tail.

Last edited by djay99 : 28th December 2012 at 19:01.
Old 28th December 2012, 20:47   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Zigwheels are expecting them to launch by june 2013. Let's wait and watch.
Some of my friends suggested to wait for street triple as i was contemplating booking a ninja 650. This waiting is getting bigger like a hanuman's tail.
well the street triple is worth the wait, will not be surprised myself if am standing in the queue to add one more to my garage
If zig wheels are reporting that it will be in June 2013' please do take it with a pinch of salt.
Old 29th December 2012, 12:24   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

well the street triple is worth the wait, will not be surprised myself if am standing in the queue to add one more to my garage
If zig wheels are reporting that it will be in June 2013' please do take it with a pinch of salt.
Lol, pinch? We need to take it with a truck load of salt.

One thing is good, any mail is promptly responded to albeit a vague response.

Doc - would you be in the line with us here in Bangalore?

We are already a small ST family.. djay99, imp!, doc and my friend ku69rd :-) plus I have another good friend of mine who says.. we will relive the Duke launch/buy. He and I had lined up before the KTM store by 5 am. Lol.
Old 29th December 2012, 12:58   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Lol, pinch? We need to take it with a truck load of salt.

One thing is good, any mail is promptly responded to albeit a vague response.

Doc - would you be in the line with us here in Bangalore?

We are already a small ST family.. djay99, imp!, doc and my friend ku69rd :-) plus I have another good friend of mine who says.. we will relive the Duke launch/buy. He and I had lined up before the KTM store by 5 am. Lol.
No bro, I will not get off my backside here in amchi Pune.

While you guys were making IPL ticket type lines, I was riding my Baby Duke 222 to Goa (Feb 20th).

I will not be buying the ST first off. There will be at least another Katoom before that.

The ST is a bit too low and has a bit too much plastic (and is a bit too expensive) to take it anywhere and everywhere.

Also a bit too heavy (185+ kilos) and a bit too thirsty (14 kmpl, 150 mile tank range).
Old 31st December 2012, 23:31   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a bit too thirsty (14 kmpl, 150 mile tank range).
2013 ST has revised throttle bodies, taller first gear which improves city mileage by 20% @ ~18KMPL and IMO it should give overall 20KMPL.

When FZ1 manages 20KMPL on highway - why not ST?
Old 1st January 2013, 10:19   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2013 ST has revised throttle bodies, taller first gear which improves city mileage by 20% @ ~18KMPL
Dhanjay,
Highly skeptical that with such minor revisions mileage might have improved by 20%. These bikes would have gone through thousand of kilometres of testing before they arrive/finalise on any combination. If there was to be an actual gain by such a percentage then there would be a huge power loss and pre dominantly they will have to sacrifice low end and mid range performance.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 10:34   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When FZ1 manages 20KMPL on highway - why not ST?
Totally different engine configurations and states of tune.

If the FZ1 manages 20 kmpl, then a Duke 690 should manage a lot more right?

Well, it manages just around 22 kmpl. The Ninja 650 manages even less.

And they are considered fuel frugal.
Old 1st January 2013, 13:48   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently met a group trying to get a Triumph dealership, their estimates for bookings are after July.
Quote:
Sigh wish they were to act with a bit more purpose and sense of urgency.
A question for imp! and Mahesh,

Was a dealer ever appointed in Bangalore ?

I was told by a friend that his friend had paid a deposit on a Bonnie in Bangalore and now the Deposit is being returned.

Do you know of any such incidents ? If true it would appear people could have been taken for a ride in the name of Triumph

Happy New Year 2013 !!!

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 1st January 2013, 14:02   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

Ram
Ram Sir,
This is totally news to me all that I know is of a group who are in the final four for getting short listed. No dealers were appointed to the best of my knowledge though...
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:13   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

I was told by a friend that his friend had paid a deposit on a Bonnie in Bangalore and now the Deposit is being returned.

Ram
Quote:
Ram Sir,
This is totally news to me all that I know is of a group who are in the final four for getting short listed. No dealers were appointed to the best of my knowledge though...
Happy New Year to you as well Ram!

I haven't heard of anyone being offered a dealership either now or in the past in Bangalore. As far as I know Triumph have not had an easy time finding the right kind of potential dealers. This as much as anything else has delayed their entry into the market. I hope that the person involved does get his money back. I would suggest he contact Triumph directly and inform them of this incident.
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:38   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Totally different engine configurations and states of tune.

If the FZ1 manages 20 kmpl, then a Duke 690 should manage a lot more right?

Well, it manages just around 22 kmpl. The Ninja 650 manages even less.

And they are considered fuel frugal.
ST has less power, CC and weight and hence i thought it could give 20KMPL on highways. I have no idea about duke 690 but some of the ninja 650 owners said they are getting 22KMPL+ on highways.
I am happy if it gives 18KMPL with mixed city & highway usage.

Last edited by djay99 : 3rd January 2013 at 11:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks