Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2014, 11:48   #571
Senior - BHPian

Re: I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I am surprised that the HD dealer did not come back on this, immediately, may be he was being polite - they do have some custom made (read as HD Branded) stuff for this usually in their stock, which again costs double of the similar products in the market

Wonderful devise called "Ear Plugs"

Seriously, that should be in the travel/ridding kit of most of "megaphone" installed bikes, as exposure to loud noise long term, can affect you negatively.

Best Regards & Ride Safe
Ram
I wore these recently for the first time. Initial experience was great. The bike felt much smoother, and the sound of my baffle-less Goldstar-red Doppie was more like a superbike than the rorty sound she typically has. Fatigue was also less.

All good so far.

But then I started experiencing ear ache. Not mild ache. But excruciating ache, tenderness. Like that you experience on ears lobes with any ill fitting helmet. It used to come on typically after wearing these and riding for an hour or so. To the point where ultimately I would need to stop and take off my helmet and the plugs to relieve the pain.

Then put them back in and start riding. But the ache would reappear after some time once again.

Eventually I just took them off and put them back into their zip lock bag and continued on the ride without them.

Sad because I really did like the way they smoothened out the bike's feel and sound.

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-earplugs.jpg

Any idea whether there was something I was doing wrong? Is there a technique of putting them in? I did the whole curl and spit routine.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:30   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishekjp View Post
Hi Shubz

Is there any way we can reduce the sound of VNH 3" slip ons by any way ? I just got mine installed and they are too loud for my liking. My head was literally spinning after 350 km's of my weekend ride. I have also asked my HD service office but he hasnt come back on that. You thought will help.

Thanks
Shek
Abhishek , you can check with the dealer if they can get the quiet baffles for you. This should reduce the sound.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:54   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Hey Shiba, sweet ride. That helmet will look badass in a group of Harleys riding together.
Quick question, where'd you get that HJC helms? And how did you pay for it? Or what's the model name instead
Thank you KhalDrogo sir. Thats the HJC CS14. and with the spikes, it surely looks badass and turns a lot of heads Hehe!
Quote:
Hi Shubz

Is there any way we can reduce the sound of VNH 3" slip ons by any way ? I just got mine installed and they are too loud for my liking. My head was literally spinning after 350 km's of my weekend ride. I have also asked my HD service office but he hasnt come back on that. You thought will help.
Shek,

the VnH's are way too loud initially. Let it run for a few hundred kms. They'd settle into a nice growl. Else you can always order Quiet Baffles.

@Doc - Nothing wrong in the technique you used. I have used similar ones in the past and it really sank in. Initially it felt little tickly, but eventually I forgot about them. Wonder what went wrong.

Last edited by Shubz : 23rd September 2014 at 12:56.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:00   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
@Doc - Nothing wrong in the technique you used. I have used similar ones in the past and it really sank in. Initially it felt little tickly, but eventually I forgot about them. Wonder what went wrong.
I intially thought it was because of the new Alpinestars balaclava I was wearing for the first time. But when I took the earplugs out (and left the balaclava on) the pain did not recur. So it was definitely linked to the earplugs.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:12   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I intially thought it was because of the new Alpinestars balaclava I was wearing for the first time. But when I took the earplugs out (and left the balaclava on) the pain did not recur. So it was definitely linked to the earplugs.
Strange Doc! These are super soft foam type right? not the slightly harder kind?

I had ordered and got those dbSafe thingy and almost died of pain.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:13   #576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wore these recently for the first time. Initial experience was great. The bike felt much smoother, and the sound of my baffle-less Goldstar-red Doppie was more like a superbike than the rorty sound she typically has. Fatigue was also less.
Will it not be risky or illegal ? I think this can cause some problems say unable to listen horn or some emergent situations where one is dependent on some vocal communications

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27400.htm

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd September 2014 at 13:16.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:14   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Strange Doc! These are super soft foam type right? not the slightly harder kind?

I had ordered and got those dbSafe thingy and almost died of pain.
Yes they are the super soft 3M foam type earplugs. The entire ear starts paining, such that its painful even when you're pulling them out. Its a vascular (blood flow) sort of pain, like its stopping the circulation.

Last edited by ebonho : 23rd September 2014 at 13:17.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:19   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes they are the super soft 3M foam type earplugs. The entire ear starts paining, such that its painful even when you're pulling them out. Its a vascular (blood flow) sort of pain, like its stopping the circulation.
Doc - Have you tried the same with miniature cotton balls? Does it still hurt?
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:24   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Will it not be risky or illegal ? I think this can cause some problems say unable to listen horn or some emergent situations where one is dependent on some vocal communications

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27400.htm
You can hear everything around you very very clearly. Just that thankfully your own bike's sound is not as loud as normal.

Quote:
Doc - Have you tried the same with miniature cotton balls? Does it still hurt?
No never tried with cotton buds before. I know many people do it, but its not something you can keep taking off and putting back in.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:26   #580
BANNED

Quote:
But then I started experiencing ear ache.
I've had the same with the foam plugs. They are either too far in or not in enough to be effective.

I've switched to these:
I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-earplug.jpg

They work much better without the pain.

Cheers

Ride Safe
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:28   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can hear everything around you very very clearly. Just that thankfully your own bike's sound is not as loud as normal.

No never tried with cotton buds before. I know many people do it, but its not something you can keep taking off and putting back in.
To Turbanators query - You are so right - it just mutes the bikes sound but can hear everything else. Horns, passing vehicles, sirens etc.

Doc - Why do you say so? Hygiene?
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:28   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But then I started experiencing ear ache. Not mild ache. But excruciating ache, tenderness. Like that you experience on ears lobes with any ill fitting helmet. It used to come on typically after wearing these and riding for an hour or so. To the point where ultimately I would need to stop and take off my helmet and the plugs to relieve the pain.

Any idea whether there was something I was doing wrong? Is there a technique of putting them in? I did the whole curl and spit routine.
Quote:
Doc, should not be saying this as you are the expert on human anatamy, but I think the plug you used may be the reason. Its pushing in to the canal and the inner ear ?

There are better ones (usually available from HD Stores) which are mouldable and really does'nt go in to the cannal but sits as a baffle in the outer ear (?) itself

I coudn't find a pictue of HD branded one, but something like the one in the picture below and the link

I just got Har-Ley'd! My Iron 883-r_and_g_ear_plugs_01_1.jpg

From what I have seen being used by other riders This one when properly done seats in the cavity and does not get pused by the helmet/balaclava

http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/R-G-Ra...Ear-Plugs-3098

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:47   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doc - Why do you say so? Hygiene?
Yes bro. Coton buds kept inside a ear for any length of time, regardless of how clean and wax free you maintain your ears, are not something pleasant to look at and definitely not something you want to shove back into your ear.

Even these foam ones I rinse every time before roll and spit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Doc, should not be saying this as you are the expert on human anatamy, but I think the plug you used may be the reason. Its pushing in to the canal and the inner ear ?

There are better ones (usually available from HD Stores) which are mouldable and really does'nt go in to the cannal but sits as a baffle in the outer ear (?) itself

I coudn't find a pictue of HD branded one, but something like the one in the picture below and the link

Attachment 1291451

From what I have seen being used by other riders This one when properly done seats in the cavity and does not get pused by the helmet/balaclava

http://www.brandedbiker.co.uk/R-G-Ra...Ear-Plugs-3098

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks Ram. I did some reading. This is apparently a common problem and occurs because you push them in too deep so that it causes suction on the eardrum and cuts off circulation. The adult ear canal is about an inch long. Will try them again by not pushing them in. Basically these are a couple of pairs I picked up from a pharmaceutical devices laboratory I was working at recently in Germany and are not specifically made for bikers per se. The instructions mention the spit and roll and then to press on them so some time before releasing them. I guess to take the shape of the outer part of the ear and block off any sound. Another tip is to pull up on the ear before inserting (this straightens out the external ear canal) as well as to yawn while inserting (this equalizes air pressure in both ears - the "pop" phenomenon).
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:53   #584
BHPian

Hi.. Finally heard back from the dealer. I need to put "baffles" in my slip ons. It appears as if these baffles are of 3 types (Silent, Moderate and loud). Mumbai dealer does not keep it in stock and hence they ve asked me to get it from out and they will only be fixing it. If anyone has more information about these baffles it would be great. I am also researching as to from where i should get it.
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:05   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to put "baffles" in my slip ons.
I am a little perplexed as to why you went for V&H slip-ons if you wanted a relatively silent bike. I would second Shubz advice that you should ride it for a while before trying any experimentation with the baffles. As soot deposit increases over a period of 1k kms or so the slip-ons will settle down to a nice growl. Or you can always revert back to the stock slip-ons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks