Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 22:21   #4321
Senior - BHPian

re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Turtle Scratch and Swirl Remover! So far I've got the best results with it. There are still a few scratch marks, its not a miracle worker and I've been told Megs stuff is better but haven't yet tried it.

Usually with Swirl remover the finish only lasts a week so I topped it off with Collinite 915 wax. There was not much difference to the shine with wax but I hope it preserves it longer.

All applied by hand
How old is the paint on the car? Finish seems good.

TW scratch and swirl remover is rubbing compound. I would not recommend using this everytime.
Stick to the 915, apply a second coat after 12 hours to get a deeper shine. If you don't use any shampoo or detergent to clean your car this will last 2-3 months.
Old 13th April 2011, 09:35   #4322
BHPian

Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher

All,

I would agree that if I have to get a polisher from US, I would get the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher.

I am in the process of figuring it out how to get it. I have someone in US now but will not be able to buy online as he will be back this weekend. Will have to wait till the next opportunity.

In the mean while, will try the SYW option and check out the prices there.

Looks like GEX is out of my list
Old 13th April 2011, 09:46   #4323
BHPian

If you're ordering through SYW, then order the Kestrel DAS-6 as it won't need any step-down transformer to run. I am getting a quote of 11xxx for the pro version (5" back plate included). I should be placing the order in a week.
Old 13th April 2011, 09:55   #4324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
If you're ordering through SYW, then order the Kestrel DAS-6 as it won't need any step-down transformer to run. I am getting a quote of 11xxx for the pro version (5" back plate included). I should be placing the order in a week.

Kestrel DAS6 in SYW is showing Rs 8600/-. If the price goes above 10k you cannot claim duty free, duties will add upto 3k, in that case better to go for Meguiars 220 DA.
Old 13th April 2011, 09:58   #4325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Kestrel DAS6 in SYW is showing Rs 8600/-. If the price goes above 10k you cannot claim duty free, duties will add upto 3k, in that case better to go for Meguiars 220 DA.
If you order the Pro version, it is not available on amazon.co.uk. You'll have to order from elsewhere. I found it here and SYW quotes 11xxx for this.
Old 13th April 2011, 09:59   #4326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Aramex charges to open an account with them. Is it right ? Also any idea how they are going to take care of the customs ?
In SYW, upto Rs.10000 you can get it as gift, no custom duty.
You can open an Aramex account with 5$. You will get one PO box address each in UK and US for lifetime. When you buy anything from any online site in uK or US put your Aramex address in the ship to field - when they receive the package they will forward it to your Indian address automatically.

Shipping charge is quite low - 10$ for upto 500Gm, and 8$ for every additional 500GM. They will handle the Customs part - will give you the actual assessment sheet for customs duty. They usually charge Rs 50- 100 as brokerage for handling Customs. Will collect the shipping charge, customs duty from your doorstep while delivering the product.

I've used their service extensively with quite high value products like Mobile Phones. Tablet PCs etc. Pretty reliable but a bit slower. It will take 7-10 days to get your product after it is delivered to your US or UK address.
The head of the Shop and Ship service in India is very co-operative and is always there to help in case of any problem.

But is wayy cheaper than buying through SYW or ICCworld or cart2online.
Old 13th April 2011, 11:47   #4327
Senior - BHPian

Ya these days SYW, 20north and all quote prices very high than the US actual price. I remember when 20north started, price of items used to be same as (US price + US shipping) and +India shipping. Before i was able to buy items for total of Rs200 or 300, now even if item cost 1$ price will be Rs1100. Now a days most are quoted as double the US price + India shipping, its almost as good as paying customs if arranged in other means, maybe even more than that.

Last edited by shamanth : 13th April 2011 at 11:51.
Old 13th April 2011, 12:07   #4328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Do not make the mistake of getting a 110V unit. The step down transformer for these units will be cumbersome as they consume good amount of power. The Kestrel is a good polisher and may be cheaper in UK than in USA. Evaluate if you really want to pay the premium for the pro.

Rgds
Old 13th April 2011, 13:11   #4329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
MKH, Sohail,
How about Klasse AIO and Klasse High Gloss Sealent topped with Collinite-915 ??
You can try any combinations. But what you need to achieve are the following :

Prepare your paint - bad condition use abrasive polish. Good condition use something to strip off the layers of whatever you had put earlier to expose the paint. Klasse AIO, Wolfgang Paintwork Restorer, Ultima Paint Prep Plus type of products will achieve this. AIO has the additional feature of sealing the paint as well (quick seal).

Seal your paint - use a acrylic sealant Klasse High Gloss Sealant, Wofgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Ultima Paint Guard plus etc will achieve this.

Wax - Can be used as a sealant. Typically lasts less than sealant. Take care that it is pure wax with no abrasives or you will strip off the sealant. If you top the sealant with wax, you may have bonding problems. If you want to layer the sealant later, you have to prep the paint again. For solid colors wax typically will create a depth - wet look (not for long though).

If you want to top sealant with wax be aware of what you want to see. Because they achieve similar objectives.

A good option in summer / rains (IMO) is to layer the sealant every week if your paint is in good condition. The paint will stay protected.

In terms of ease of application from my experience : easiest is Ultima followed by Wolfgang, DP etc and then Klasse. Collinite 925 (I have not used this) would perhaps come last. My preferred wax is Pinnacle Signature. Very easy to apply.

Rgds
Old 13th April 2011, 13:39   #4330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Shipping charge is quite low - 10$ for upto 500Gm, and 8$ for every additional 500GM. They will handle the Customs part - will give you the actual assessment sheet for customs duty. They usually charge Rs 50- 100 as brokerage for handling Customs. Will collect the shipping charge, customs duty from your doorstep while delivering the product.

But is wayy cheaper than buying through SYW or ICCworld or cart2online.
Thanks for the info. Any idea how they assess the customs duty.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:04   #4331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Thanks for the info. Any idea how they assess the customs duty.
They try to get it cleared as gift. Initially I got a few of my items like mobile phone etc without any duty. But now-a-days Customs people are charging duty on all consignment irrespective of value.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:05   #4332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post

Prepare your paint - bad condition use abrasive polish. Good condition use something to strip off the layers of whatever you had put earlier to expose the paint. Klasse AIO, Wolfgang Paintwork Restorer, Ultima Paint Prep Plus type of products will achieve this. AIO has the additional feature of sealing the paint as well (quick seal).

Seal your paint - use a acrylic sealant Klasse High Gloss Sealant, Wofgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, Ultima Paint Guard plus etc will achieve this.

Wax - Can be used as a sealant. Typically lasts less than sealant. Take care that it is pure wax with no abrasives or you will strip off the sealant. If you top the sealant with wax, you may have bonding problems. If you want to layer the sealant later, you have to prep the paint again. For solid colors wax typically will create a depth - wet look (not for long though).

If you want to top sealant with wax be aware of what you want to see. Because they achieve similar objectives.
Thanks Sohail99 & Garipagol for being so elaborate.
I agree the surface prep is the key to final results.

I am expecting Collinite-845/915 to add dept to the colour when topped over sealant.
Has anyone tried Klasse AIO + Klasse High Gloss Sealent + topped with Collinite-845/915 ??
I am curious to look at the results on light colours say white colour (on which its very difficult to to achieve the perfect dazzling finish as it can be achieved on Dark colours).
Old 13th April 2011, 14:10   #4333
BHPian

@archat68,

I was checking with Aramex and it says $ 35 for a new account within something they call as Shop and Ship (SNS).
Old 13th April 2011, 14:27   #4334
Senior - BHPian

^You can got to Aramex Shop and Ship facebook page and ask for a new code.

That code will give you $30 off straight!

btw I too am in for DAS-6 pro if anyone is getting it!
Old 13th April 2011, 14:29   #4335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
@archat68,

I was checking with Aramex and it says $ 35 for a new account within something they call as Shop and Ship (SNS).
Check their Facebook page - they have some discount code by which you can register by paying 5$. If the code is not there you can ask on FB page also for it .

A small request (and hope it is not against the forum rules!!) if anybody registers with Aramex Shop&Ship please give my name as referrer - I'll get some discount on my future consignments .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks