Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 20:34   #3136
Senior - BHPian

Nice results quadra

The after pics do look great compared to the before ones!

Keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Hi Guys,

Have some queries, a lot of them though.

3. Considering that the clear coat is non existent what could be the additional steps in bringing the car's paint back to glory?
I'd recommend a light rubbing compound like scratchout liquid

And do keep examining the cloth for any color etc. (in case the clear coat has oxidized/failed there)
Old 6th September 2010, 21:48   #3137
BHPian

Thanks sohail. Glad you liked my work. I have few questions too, would appreciate if you / anyone else could answer them.

Wash procedure i used this time (car was not so dirty)
Step 1. Wash with water - atleast poured 5-8 mugs of water on the car to wet it.
Step 2. Prep half bucket of water + half cup of turtle ZIP WAX. Shaken and stirred to create lather
Step 3. Using the sponge, mopped the entire car. Half bucket of water was enough
Step 4. Using clean water and sponge, mopped the car again.
Step 5. Poured 8-10mugs of clean water.
Step 6. Using brand new chamois, cleaned the water off. Chamois used for glass as well.
Step 7. After making sure there is no water on the surface, started to wax using "turtle platinum series car wax" - one panel at a time. Left the wax for 5-10sec and wipe it off with a clean cloth (brand new hand towel)

LESSON LEARNT
Pre-step1, using a small toothbrush run over on a normal bathing soap, clean the badges, and other small areas where the sponge cant go / clean properly.
Like outside of mud-flaps / front bumper grill / badges / wiper / wiper blades / area near number plates / etc.

Need to use a hand glove instead of sponge to shampoo wash the car.

Questions (based on the above)
1. I used bucket wash instead of a hose as the car is in an apartment so i only have to use bucket. Any other smart tips / bright ideas to wash the car in an apartment.
2. Chamois can be used to clean the glass ? I used it and found it to be good.
3. What is the best applicator for waxing ? I used a normal cloth, crumpled it, & applied it. I was not happy with the way turtle wax was spreading using this cloth.
4. Buffing with a brand new hand towel - is that ok ??
5. Interior glass cleaning - what solution & what applicator to be used ?
Old 6th September 2010, 22:00   #3138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Thanks sohail. Glad you liked my work. I have few questions too, would appreciate if you / anyone else could answer them.

Chamois is great to clean glass.

Best applicator - I use these Amazon.com: Meguiar's X3080 EvenCoat Applicator - Pack of 2: Automotive

Buff with an MF towel - do not use normal towels as this will introduce more swirls.

Interior/exterior glass can be cleaned using colin and a mf cloth. There are special automotive glass cleaning fluids available too.

And please leave the wax for 10-15 minutes, not seconds - then buff it off.

Last edited by blackasta : 6th September 2010 at 22:01.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:21   #3139
BHPian

Great Results Quadra !!!!

If you dont have access to M/F cloth , you can use 100% cotton towel. make sure that it will be of best quality.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:36   #3140
BHPian

How many of you guys have used amway silicone glaze? Is it effective when compared to something like sonax polish?
Old 6th September 2010, 22:56   #3141
BHPian

I have used sonax auto polish .afaik sonax auto polish is little abbrasive and if your paint is dirty , it will five best results.

as far as silicon glaze is concerned , i have heared it it just pure polish and contains fillers.

please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:16   #3142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Chamois is great to clean glass.

Best applicator - I use these Amazon.com: Meguiar's X3080 EvenCoat Applicator - Pack of 2: Automotive

Buff with an MF towel - do not use normal towels as this will introduce more swirls.

Interior/exterior glass can be cleaned using colin and a mf cloth. There are special automotive glass cleaning fluids available too.

And please leave the wax for 10-15 minutes, not seconds - then buff it off.
Thanks buddy.
Regarding the wax, if i left it for more than 5-10sec i could feel the wax got hardened. It was scary so i didnt leave it longer.

Next time, will try on a small panel and then update here.

Any suggestions on locally available / made micro fiber cloth ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Great Results Quadra !!!!

If you dont have access to M/F cloth , you can use 100% cotton towel. make sure that it will be of best quality.
Thanks Notorious, glad you liked it.
At present i am using those small hand towles (pack of 5) available to groceries store like spar / big-bazar type outlets.

Will search for a proper MF cloth
Old 6th September 2010, 23:21   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Questions (based on the above)
1. I used bucket wash instead of a hose as the car is in an apartment so i only have to use bucket. Any other smart tips / bright ideas to wash the car in an apartment.
2. Chamois can be used to clean the glass ? I used it and found it to be good.
3. What is the best applicator for waxing ? I used a normal cloth, crumpled it, & applied it. I was not happy with the way turtle wax was spreading using this cloth.
4. Buffing with a brand new hand towel - is that ok ??
5. Interior glass cleaning - what solution & what applicator to be used ?
1. 2- bucket technique or rather 3- bucket!!!(3rd bucket for final rinsing(compensating for lack of hose))

2. Chamois can absorb a lot of water and yes its effective in drying but I'm not sure whether its safe!

Anyways, just soak the chamois with a little clean water to make it soft and then go around the car. After each swipe on the panel, check for any dirt etc. sticking to the chamois. ( I would rinse the chamois in clean water after every panel just to prevent the dirt sticking on the chamois to rub against the other panels)

3. OMG!! no crumpled cloth etc.!! I completely agree with Blackasta on the wax applicator choice!!

(btw the sponge applicator we get with Formula1 carnauba gold wax tub is also nice!!)

4. Whoa!! using a handtowel is counterproductive!!

In reality, a clearcoat finish is even more sensitive and fragile than human skin(with the exception of ceramiclear finishes)

So in order to maintain a scratch free finish without imparting more swirls in it, a quality microfiber cloth is a must

5. As Blackasta rightly said, colin is easily available, but I'm not sure about the ammonia content in it!
Generally ammonia containing glass cleaners are not safe for sun films!!
Old 6th September 2010, 23:22   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy.
Regarding the wax, if i left it for more than 5-10sec i could feel the wax got hardened. It was scary so i didnt leave it longer.

At present i am using those small hand towles (pack of 5) available to groceries store like spar / big-bazar type outlets.

The wax ought to get hardened. The trick of waxing is to use just sparing quantities of wax making a thin and uniform coat.
You can get MF towels from here: BB Impex (P) Ltd. New Delhi, India, 5 Pack Yellow Microfiber

or get someone in US to bring you a pack of these: Amazon.com: Meguiar's X2020 Supreme Shine Microfiber - Pack of 3: Automotive
Old 7th September 2010, 00:53   #3145
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy.

Using a proper MF is very important. A flimsy one will not only wear out faster, but if the density is not enough, it will not do the work well. Especially important if you are buffing wax or drying to have a quality product.
The BEST ones are Megs and 3M and both can be obtained through yours truly , just PM me your number if you are looking at getting your hands on those.
Old 7th September 2010, 01:02   #3146
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Have some queries, a lot of them though.

Disclaimers prior to queires is that:
I do not have access to running water (need to fill buckets)
The car is 7 yrs old and it seems there isn't much of the clear coat/laquer available on the surface.
Have no DA or orbital polisher.

1. Firstly its a black car, and considering I live in south kolkata where dust and slush is inevitable it hurts when the car gets covered with dirt and grime after a day out in the rains. While washing the car on saturday I noticed that the even after washing the side lower panels (which were filled with dirt being thrown up by the tyres) it looked clean, but after rubbing my palm over the paint I could figure out that small dirt particles were stuck to the paint and wouldn't come off. Considering the paint needs to be absolutely clean prior to any polishing work, how can I take care of this issue.

2. There are some scratches and swirl marks, so how much abrasive a compound do I need to get? Also which one. The biggest hurdle is that I was contemplating bringing down the Meg's pack which has all required stuff, but Indian Air freight does not allow shipping of liquids or semi liquids. How can I purchase Megs stuff otherwise? Also if not Megs what localy available stuff can be purchased?

3. Considering that the clear coat is non existent what could be the additional steps in bringing the car's paint back to glory?
When you say no clearcoat left, what happened to it ? It is unlikely that it will disappear on its own. Is you car repainted at a garage?

If it is repainted then you may have a single stage paint. The treatment is the same as a two stage paint but you need to remember when you polish you are in effect working on the base coat (and be more careful).

Use an abrasive polish combination (e.g megs 105/205). Both can be applied by hand. Inspect your work closely and often to know when to stop polishing- note that the abrasives in these two polishes do not break down (they do not diminish). Use the 105 till the defects are gone / reduced (your foam pad may show paint residue) and then use the 205 to bring gloss to the paint. Layer a sealant / wax coat on top. And you will be smiling !!

The spots you feel on your palm are essentially tar from the road surface. Gently rub the sides with rubbing alcohol. Avoid using your nails to pick at them. Do a test spot first to see if you are losing paint.

Your observation about air freight may not be 100% correct. You can have these shipped. They may have restrictions on aerosols.

BTW, IMO South Calcutta is no worse than other parts of city.

Rgds
Old 7th September 2010, 01:27   #3147
BHPian

Quote:
Step 7. After making sure there is no water on the surface, started to wax using "turtle platinum series car wax" - one panel at a time. Left the wax for 5-10sec and wipe it off with a clean cloth (brand new hand towel)
Your results look pretty good considering the fact that you pretty much wiped off the wax you put on the paint !! The platinum series TW is quite good and you will have much better results when you apply it correctly. You should use very little quantity, rub it in till you cannot "see" it but the paint appears hazy. The trick is not let it dry completely and at the same time allow some time for it to bond with the paint surface. And then buff ...buff to get the shine back.

Quote:
LESSON LEARNT
Pre-step1, using a small toothbrush run over on a normal bathing soap, clean the badges, and other small areas where the sponge cant go / clean properly.
Like outside of mud-flaps / front bumper grill / badges / wiper / wiper blades / area near number plates / etc.
Toothbrush (Soft) is OK but bathing soap is NOT. Use a car shampoo if you are working on the car body.
Old 7th September 2010, 09:46   #3148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
My thoughts in bold.

The running boards need to washed with extra pass to ensure they are clean, before you clay the whole car to get rid of bonded dirt.

You can order through shopyourworld.com or 20north.com and get teh megs stuff at your doorstep.
If not, try getting sonax auto polish and waxpol liquid wax from kolkata stores.

use a show polish after an abrasive polish. That is my take. I guess gurus can throw some lght on this.
Thanks for the info blackasta, I keep wondering why you always refer to the guru's, where you alone have good enough knowledge.

Actually in the shipping terms section of shopyourworld.com it is mentioned that in India liquids and semi liquids cannot be shipped by air, which is why i raised this concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I'd recommend a light rubbing compound like scratchout liquid

And do keep examining the cloth for any color etc. (in case the clear coat has oxidized/failed there)
Thanks Sohail, so that means i need to invest in some good light coloured MF cloth. I have two 100% cotton ones and a waffle weave which I picked up from shoppers stop, will they suffice? Or should I not use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garipagol View Post
When you say no clearcoat left, what happened to it ? It is unlikely that it will disappear on its own. Is you car repainted at a garage?

If it is repainted then you may have a single stage paint. The treatment is the same as a two stage paint but you need to remember when you polish you are in effect working on the base coat (and be more careful).
The car wasn't repainted, I bought it second hand I can see that the car was not polished regularly, so the gloss is not there at all. I mean it seems as if the paint has oxidised. Some body panels which are generally not affected by direct sunlight are in better shape.

Quote:
Use an abrasive polish combination (e.g megs 105/205). Both can be applied by hand. Inspect your work closely and often to know when to stop polishing- note that the abrasives in these two polishes do not break down (they do not diminish). Use the 105 till the defects are gone / reduced (your foam pad may show paint residue) and then use the 205 to bring gloss to the paint. Layer a sealant / wax coat on top. And you will be smiling !!
If not Megs then what brand?

Quote:
The spots you feel on your palm are essentially tar from the road surface. Gently rub the sides with rubbing alcohol. Avoid using your nails to pick at them. Do a test spot first to see if you are losing paint.
Where can I get this rubbing alcohol? And should I apply it with soft cotton or a foam applicator?

On second thoughts if its ok with both blackasta and garipagol, can we meet? I mean if you both could have a look at my car and advise me?

Thanks
NOS
Old 7th September 2010, 09:59   #3149
Senior - BHPian

MY comments posted inline

Quote:
Thanks for the info blackasta, I keep wondering why you always refer to the guru's, where you alone have good enough knowledge.

I can best term myself as a practitioner!

Actually in the shipping terms section of shopyourworld.com it is mentioned that in India liquids and semi liquids cannot be shipped by air, which is why i raised this concern.

Don't know about that - but I guess in India they switch to ground shipping.

Where can I get this rubbing alcohol? And should I apply it with soft cotton or a foam applicator?

Go to any chemists' and ask for it

On second thoughts if its ok with both blackasta and garipagol, can we meet? I mean if you both could have a look at my car and advise me?

Absolutely - we can plan kind of a meet, invite others too. That way it would serve both purpose of a meet and a knowledge sharing session.

Thanks
NOS
Old 7th September 2010, 12:09   #3150
BHPian

i hope rubbing alcohol is safe on clear coar , half of my verna including hood is filled with those tar spots. because many roads in delhi are newly built due to CWG 2010.

have rubbed half of my verna with 3M rubbing and now it is spotless. will do remaining half tomarrow.

The running board and lower part of bumper almost feels like sandpaper.

@cateesh ; are your products delivered ???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks