Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 14:07   #9616
BHPian

Re: A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Unlikely to have a car with leather seats in teh future, but I think I'll follow your recommendation and try it on some of my wife's bags that suffered Chennai-flood damage.
Works on Faux Leather also.

For your wife's handbag, go for Bata Leather care spray and gel. Got it for ladies at home and works great for bags and wallets.

Bata guys, they are not able to advertise their product properly.
Old 22nd January 2016, 20:42   #9617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Armorall Leather Care Gel. One solution to all problems listed by you.
Thanks prithm,

Just ordered the same from Amazon, now waiting for it to arrive. Any idea what should i buy for exterior ? I want to buy a paint sealant which should hide the scratch marks which are created by street dogs and gives a glass like finish.
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:39   #9618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
I want to buy a paint sealant which should hide the scratch marks which are created by street dogs and gives a glass like finish.
AFAIK sealants seldom hide scratch marks. For that you'll have to go for paint correction from a professional retailer. But if you're particular about DIY then go for something like Amway Silicone Glaze or a filler heavy polish like Autoglym SRP. Then top it up with preferably three coats of Collinite 845.

You might want to look into this :

Old 22nd January 2016, 22:48   #9619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Works on Faux Leather also.

For your wife's handbag, go for Bata Leather care spray and gel. Got it for ladies at home and works great for bags and wallets.

Bata guys, they are not able to advertise their product properly.
Many thanks. I was there the other day buying shoes. Will return.

(most of her collection of bags were just spoilt by the flood water, and some have become spoilt because there is so very much work to do after a flood like that that things that should be looked after straight away are left and almost forgotten. Oh, yeah... we lost the car, too )
Old 22nd January 2016, 23:36   #9620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
AFAIK sealants seldom hide scratch marks. For that you'll have to go for paint correction from a professional retailer. But if you're particular about DIY then go for something like Amway Silicone Glaze or a filler heavy polish like Autoglym SRP. Then top it up with preferably three coats of Collinite 845.

You might want to look into this :
Thanks RiGOD,

the results in the video posted in the video are superb. Could not find Autoglym online tried to place the order for Amway Silicon Glaze from Amway Website. Got the message that someone from Amway will call me to place the order. Now waiting for the call. Also would like to know how do you guys clean the seatbelts. The seat belts in my are are quite dirty. I had taken it for dry-cleaning some time back but the results were not satisfactory so did not ask him to proceed with the roof and sun visors and decided to do a DIY on the entire car (Interior and Exterior). Right now I am just buying all necessary stuff and will start the detailing once I have everything with me. Also wanted to know I had got the car detailed from a local detailer who used a 3 M product for the job. Do I still need to use the clay bar for cleaning or can I just proceed with this Amway Silicon glaze and Colinet ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd January 2016 at 08:24. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
Old 23rd January 2016, 06:21   #9621
BHPian

Quote:
Also would like to know how do you guys clean the seatbelts. The seat belts in my are are quite dirty.
I think Amway LOC will do the trick. A pointer to one one of my previous posts mentioning the effectiveness of the same.

Quote:
Do I still need to use the clay bar for cleaning or can I just proceed with this Amway Silicon glaze and Colinet ?
Clay bar is a must have for DIY detailers. Go for Ultima Elastrofoam. So the steps for you would be like:

1. Shampoo wash
2. Clay
3. Glaze (Amway)
4. Wax (Collinite)
Old 24th January 2016, 14:37   #9622
BHPian

What does a quick detailer do and when do people generally use it? I'm reading cases where people just use it on regular days just to kind of clean up stuff and in some cases they seem to be used right after a proper wash.

If the car has some dust on it, is it appropriate to use a quick detailer?
Old 24th January 2016, 18:37   #9623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
f the car has some dust on it, is it appropriate to use a quick detailer?
Dust must always be removed, without pressure, using a light cloth (or washed off) or a duster like a Jopasu. Never forget that it is abrasive, and do not rub it in, with or without some sort of compound.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 09:44   #9624
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks prithm,

Just ordered the same from Amazon, now waiting for it to arrive. Any idea what should i buy for exterior ? I want to buy a paint sealant which should hide the scratch marks which are created by street dogs and gives a glass like finish.
First clean the leather seats with moist cloth dipped in mild solution of Dettol or Savlon. This will act as disinfectant. When the seats are moist, apply Armorall Leather care gel ( it looks almost like melted Vaseline ). Apply using moist soft foam and do not use more than One Rupee Coin size of product on foam per seat. Its becomes slippery if applied in more quantity. If seats need more care, then apply it twice. Do not allow it to seep through large gaps, use old toothbrush to clean those spots.

Allow the car to rest in shade for 2-3 hours and then its good to go. Buff with a old cotton cloth (Rupa banian ) and you will love the suppleness of seats.

Sealant will not help you with deep scratch marks done by Dog's. They can help you with spider webs type scratches ( mostly done by car cleaners who use same cloth for cleaning everything in car ).

I will suggest you one thing, go for Meguire treatment or 3M scratch treatment. Dog's nails are obviously much biggest than cats, so depth matters a lot. Cats do that thin lines which can be easily covered up with small quantity of filler or one of those magic pens.

Send us a quick pic and we can suggest you the best options available.

Quote:
Could not find Autoglym online tried to place the order for Amway Silicon Glaze from Amway Website. ?
I will suggest you to invest in Collinite 845 instead of Autoglym. You will never go back to anything else.

Get a orbital machine also so that its easy for application and shining. Else, stop going to gym for couple of days and do this work on weekend if you are planning to do it manually..

It needs to be applied on wet car body ( not plastic ) and then allow it to haze, then buff with a Clean cotton cloth. And if you are careful by not washing car with Surf / Tide or by car cleaning guy, it will last for 3 months in our tropical climate.

I have 845 / 885. It takes me half day to get 885 applied and buffed manually on my DZire. So you can gauge the work that goes into it. The best part is that all that hard work actually helps you in long run and you won't have to worry for couple of months. Beading is amazing and I let my car look like a bull from slush pit before washing it properly, and I take my own bucket, 3M shampoo and soft cloth to pressure wash garage and don't allow them wash with same cloth for everything.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th January 2016 at 10:09. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote feature (QUOTE +) to quote and respond to multiple posts.
Old 11th February 2016, 23:05   #9625

I am a happy owner of my 9 months old carnelian red honda city. Thanks to this forum I covered the paint with collinite 845 from very first day. At present I am having Jopasu duster, Amway shampoo, collinite 845, ultima waterless wash and sonax brilliant shine detailer.
Now I want to add some more items in my detailing kit. As my relatives are coming from USA next month, i have shortlisted following items:
1.Nanoskin autoscrub fine grade sponge
2.blackfire wet diamond all finish paint protection
3.blackfire wet diamond glaze enhance Polish
4.few cobra plush microfiber towels.
Please advice me about above choice or any other better options?
Old 12th February 2016, 10:52   #9626
BHPian

Hello All,

This information for those who do not want to spend much on detailing product and want products which are easy & less time consuming to apply.

Note: I am not associate with any organisation. This information is only for members benefit. No intention to promote any brand.

I am using "AutoFresh" company product from last 1 year including product from 3M, Meguiar's and many more.

This is my personal feeling that "AutoFresh" is VFM. Also these product last long as 3M and Meguiar's (Which is costly).

I am not saying costly brands are not good. They have their own advantages. I am not an expert so can not distinguish more between these product. Just an enduser who get same result (as compared to costly brand) with spending less.

My Ertiga is now 2.7 years old and completed 42000+ KM. Still feels just out of showroom.

I am not posting any photos here as i have already posted those in my ownership thread.

Here is the link :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iga-zxi-8.html

Last edited by KALINGA : 12th February 2016 at 10:54.
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 11:18   #9627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
My Ertiga is now 2.7 years old and completed 42000+ KM.
Hi, Your Ertiga certainly looks out of the showroom. Awesome my friend. Does show the effort and the love that you have for your lady. Could you answer a few questions for me please?

1. How much is your weekly run?

2. What is the ratio of city vs highway drive?

3. What all do you do to keep your car like this? And what is the frequency?

4. Any expert (outside) treatment?

5. Do you use a polisher machine? Make and model.

6. Any most important how much is the expenses on your upkeep on a monthly basis?

It will go a long away for people to plan their detailing activities. Like what I should do daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly.

TIA.
Old 12th February 2016, 11:54   #9628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDee View Post
Hi, Your Ertiga certainly looks out of the showroom. Awesome my friend. Does show the effort and the love that you have for your lady. Could you answer a few questions for me please?

1. How much is your weekly run?
Weekly run is around 300 KM.

Quote:
2. What is the ratio of city vs highway drive?
70 % in city and 30% on highway.

Quote:
3. What all do you do to keep your car like this? And what is the frequency?
I do not let anyone to touch my car for washing. I do not use normal water servicing center frequently. In rainy season i use them twice or thrice in 2-3 months. But in other season i never go to them except normal servicing in Maruti Service center.

A) Daily dusting by Jopasu duster.
B) Wash the car with Shampoo once in 2 week. In rainy season once in a week.
C) Apply wax twice a month (Spray wax). Apply Meguiar's white wax once in 2-3 months. which is also a cleaner wax.
D) Clean the glass every week.
E) Clean the Tyres/Alloy and apply protectant on it (Weekly or twice in a month)
F) Clean interior once in a month. Clean all the interior plastic with cleaner and apply protectant.
G) Clean and apply protectant in engine bay once in 4 to 6 month.

Quote:
4. Any expert (outside) treatment?
Once done the Color protection treatment in 3M after i bought the car. Used 3M foam wash 2-3 times.

Quote:
5. Do you use a polisher machine? Make and model.
No i do not have any polisher machine.

Quote:
6. Any most important how much is the expenses on your upkeep on a monthly basis?
Rs 3k to 4k per year to purchase my stock.

It will go a long way for people to plan their detailing activities. Like what I should do daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly.

Thanks SDee for your compliments.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th February 2016 at 11:57. Reason: Post edited. Please avoid responding inline - it is difficult to quote and respond to such a post. Thanks!
KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 20:15   #9629
Senior - BHPian

I 2nd Autofresh products. They are quite VFM. Ive used their Gloss and Heavy Duty shampoos, APC and wheel cleaner with good results.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2016, 09:07   #9630
BHPian

Spent some time waxing this weekend. F1

aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks