Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 23:52   #421
BHPian

Hi Folks

If someone could include a Poll on the best battery ( if possible any sub models) it would be great, for a new person like me it will surely take so much time to pass through many pages and come to conclusion of which brand to buy, please post your thoughts.
Old 21st November 2009, 07:27   #422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

My OEM Exide batt is now 13 months old and the infamous 'OEM Exide post warranty self destruct' signal hasnt gone off yet. Fingers crossed.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There is no such signal!
The earliest failure I have had with an OEM Exide battery is nearly 38 months! And I'm OLD!!
Read about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-brand-25.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
My pleasure. As mentioned before, its not just the packing - Amaron even has more tech. specs. mentioned like CCA, etc. Exide is interestingly silent on this...

The signal is very much there! I personally, and a lot of other people here have testified to that!! Its just that somehow you guys have been luckier. Like R2D2 says, Exide quality seems very inconsistent. I understand you speak from your personal experience and I speak from mine... but tbhp is full of -ve feedback for Exides; compared to ANY other battery.
One thing that I have noticed is that OEM batteries are generally built to price and hence don't last as long as replacement batteries. The OEM amaron in the Alto gave up its ghost in 18 months. Warranty was 15 months whereas the OEM Exide in the Palio ran for 3.5 years. Now my Uno has always run on Exide and somehow they don't seem to last more than 3.5 years. The present one actually lasted 46 months. This is my 4th battery for the car, lets see how long this one lasts.

I do agree that Exide suffers from inconsistent quality but again they are the one who give the maximum replacement warranty of 30 months. I think Exide is a bit like Mercedes, which reduced its quality for sometime and earned enough brickbats that they till today trying to recover from it.
Old 21st November 2009, 07:46   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MileCruncher : One thing that I have noticed is that OEM batteries are generally built to price and hence don't last as long as replacement batteries.
@Milecruncher, here's something you would be intrested in :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tery-last.html

As told by TBHP-ians, only 11% of OE batteries failed before 18 months. A majority have lasted 3+ years.

Quote:
MileCruncher : The OEM amaron in the Alto gave up its ghost in 18 months. Warranty was 15 months whereas the OEM Exide in the Palio ran for 3.5 years.
Even your observation here about the OE Exide contradicts your observation that OE batteries dont last.

For the Alto's battery failing at 18 months :
1. Lasted beyond it's warranty.
2. Why did it fail.
(My OE SF lasted me 44 months - but I know it could have lasted more if I was able to avoid the multiple month+ long breaks I was forced to do)
Quote:
MileCruncher : Now my Uno has always run on Exide and somehow they don't seem to last more than 3.5 years.
Good to see Exide running this long. 3.5 yrs is pretty good.
Old 21st November 2009, 08:12   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Even your observation here about the OE Exide contradicts your observation that OE batteries dont last.
Palio's was an exception. Apart from that I have seen the OE batteries conk out with 15-18 months on a friend's Wagon R, M800, Baleno. Don't remember the makes. though

Quote:
For the Alto's battery failing at 18 months :
1. Lasted beyond it's warranty.
2. Why did it fail.
(My OE SF lasted me 44 months - but I know it could have lasted more if I was able to avoid the multiple month+ long breaks I was forced to do)
Good to see Exide running this long. 3.5 yrs is pretty good.
The alto in question runs daily about 10 Kms. One fine morning in July, the car wouldn't start, so got it jump started took it for a longsih spin. It was fine and was starting. Next morning same issue. Took it to MASS and they diagnosed it as battery failure. I personally didn't get to check the sp.gravity of the battery before replacement.

I think the last Exide on the Uno should have lasted more if it was being used regularly. The car used to be standing regularly for 15-20 days while I travelled and then was standing close to 1.5 years intermittently wh one charging en I moved abroad. But after coming back and one charging session, it was back to being fully healthy. But then I bought the Bolero and again the Uno was standing for close to 5 months and I think this is what killed it. Anyways now I intend to regularly use the Uno so hopefully this should serve well.

BTW one observation yesterday: While trying to start the car, the music system didn't get turned off momentarily during cranking.
Old 21st November 2009, 08:30   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..... but tbhp is full of -ve feedback for Exides; compared to ANY other battery.
Quote:
As told by TBHP-ians, only 11% of OE batteries failed before 18 months. A majority have lasted 3+ years.
Is this what you call full?
What seems to be happening is that only the aggrieved ones come forth and make a lot of noise, whereas the ones who have not had a problem stay quiet!
Old 21st November 2009, 09:44   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mathur saab, when you quoted my msg and asked me about my definiton of "full" - you missed the context of my reference to the word "full". To state it once again :

Full = as in the full term of the warranty.
The warranty provided was 15 months. The battery lasted 18 months. While @Milecrucher did not have a say in the battery he got as OE, neither he nor the car manufacturer can complain about that specific point.

So, correct me if I have missed anything here.

Also, how long a battery will last will depend largely on how it is used. These points have been discussed in all our battery threads. Let's not go back & do a re-hash of it all. Thanks !
Old 21st November 2009, 11:35   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My pleasure. As mentioned before, its not just the packing - Amaron even has more tech. specs. mentioned like CCA, etc. Exide is interestingly silent on this...
Agreed. I find Castrol and Exide are quite similar in this respect. Not many spec disclosures. Is it due to the fact that they're both 'license raj' companies when Indians had to pretty much lap up whatever was thrown at them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
There is no such signal!
The earliest failure I have had with an OEM Exide battery is nearly 38 months! And I'm OLD!!
Read about it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-brand-25.html
Anup ji, as I said below never had probs with Exide so far (touch wood). But feedback on Exide here on TBHP suggests that their quality is inconsistent if not actually dipping. And yes, I too believe OEM batteries are built to a price.

I am keeping a close eye on my batt (other than maintaining it very well) and intend taking it for a load test at least once a year. That's the best I can do to at least prevent it from dying on me suddenly.

Cheers!
Old 21st November 2009, 14:22   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, correct me if I have missed anything here.
Condor, indeed you missed something - that post was for Raccoon to answer!
Old 21st November 2009, 15:18   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mathur saab, my bad .. from your post it looked liked you asked me the question.@Racoon, what say you .. ?
Old 21st November 2009, 15:34   #430
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Well, from my memory I can recall maximum complaints on tbhp regarding Exides. If only those who have issues with Exides are making noise, then how come those with issues with other brands are keeping quiet?? I guess maybe we should have a poll regarding this, rather than arguing this point. Btw, this issue about lower lifespan and leakage from Exides is not just my own experience but also that of relatives and friends. What is more, even a couple of good mechanics and a multi-brand dealer told me that they see max failures and leakages with Exides.

Have mentioned this before, but it seems now Amco also makes equally crappy batteries. Seems this has happened after Yuasa pulled out...
Old 26th November 2009, 11:31   #431
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Yesterday got my Palio back from regular service, glad to know my 5.5 year old stalk batery is still healthy. My curiosity made me enquire the price of new battery in TATA motors, they quoted 7K . DIN 50 is that costly? My first preference is Amaron if not Bosch, any update on the latest prices .
Old 26th November 2009, 11:59   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi All,

Yesterday got my Palio back from regular service, glad to know my 5.5 year old stalk batery is still healthy. My curiosity made me enquire the price of new battery in TATA motors, they quoted 7K . DIN 50 is that costly? My first preference is Amaron if not Bosch, any update on the latest prices .
I understand you have a Petrol. Petrol 1.2 Palio came with DIN 44 batteries originally. Exide DIN44- 5300/4600(with exchange), SONIC DIN44(4600), Amaron - DIN 50 (73XX), No idea about Bosch
Old 26th November 2009, 12:29   #433
Senior - BHPian

Thanks MileCruncher, i never thought my battery will cost beyond 5K .

So I cannot think of an advance replacement, i have to wait for the last breath of my reliable buddy "AMARON"
Old 26th November 2009, 14:23   #434
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Well, from my memory I can recall maximum complaints on tbhp regarding Exides. If only those who have issues with Exides are making noise, then how come those with issues with other brands are keeping quiet?? I guess maybe we should have a poll regarding this, rather than arguing this point. Btw, this issue about lower lifespan and leakage from Exides is not just my own experience but also that of relatives and friends. What is more, even a couple of good mechanics and a multi-brand dealer told me that they see max failures and leakages with Exides.

Just on the same note dear, couldnt it be because they make & sell the most number of batteries. Being in Service Industry it is my experience that satisfied customer will hardly appreciate but unsatisfied will always make noise.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:56   #435
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Yes, I thought of that. I don't know the stats, but at least on tbhp a lot of people seem to have Amaron, and users don't seem to rant half as much. Nor do my relatives/friends/etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks