Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 16:16   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Thanks bud for the prompt response.
I am not entirely convinced on installing anything lesser than the recommended DIN65! (considering the ICE and additional fog lights). Guess Exide Matrix is the only option.

My cousin's car has factory fog lights and a 4 channel amp for front component and sub installed. No issues at all. Even if the Bosch only works for say 2.5 years which is the same duration the Exide worked still you are saving around 3500
Also try for Base Termimal. Its 74 AH battery was way cheaper then other brands. The dealer was very far away and thats why i did not recommend it to my cousin
Old 1st March 2010, 19:12   #527
BHPian

OEM SF died at 2.75 years

I have changed to Amaron after my OEM SF died at 2.75 years on my Civic-AT.
I Hope Amaron gives a better life.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:19   #528

I am changing my car (Hyundai Getz 1.3) battery for the first time. Please advise on the following:

For Amaron Pro 55B24LS, I am getting a quote of Rs 5250 from the Amaron Pitstop after exchange. However smaller shops are quoting Rs 4500 for the same (after exchange). Is buying from smaller shops safe? Or should I get it from the Pitstop only in spite of the higher cost?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:31   #529
Team-BHP Support

As long as the small shops give you a warranty cover it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:27   #530
Senior - BHPian

The difference seems too huge to me, even if the small shops sell below MRP.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:31   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhav View Post
My cousin's car has factory fog lights and a 4 channel amp for front component and sub installed. No issues at all. Even if the Bosch only works for say 2.5 years which is the same duration the Exide worked still you are saving around 3500
Also try for Base Termimal. Its 74 AH battery was way cheaper then other brands. The dealer was very far away and thats why i did not recommend it to my cousin
BT has very few dealers here too, but you can ask them to home deliver it, so availability shouldn't be a big issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count View Post
I am changing my car (Hyundai Getz 1.3) battery for the first time. Please advise on the following:

For Amaron Pro 55B24LS, I am getting a quote of Rs 5250 from the Amaron Pitstop after exchange. However smaller shops are quoting Rs 4500 for the same (after exchange). Is buying from smaller shops safe? Or should I get it from the Pitstop only in spite of the higher cost?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.
Should be perfectly fine to buy from a smaller place as long as you get a genuine stamped warranty card and cash memo. Also check the manuf. date - battery should not more than a couple of months old. If you want to go a step further, then you can also check the OCV of the battery (Should be 12.6 V or very close to it) when the dealer takes it off the shelf (dealer should not have charged it).

Last edited by Raccoon : 19th May 2010 at 12:34.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:18   #532

@All who replied:
Thank you for the advice. Really appreciate your help. I am going with the guy with lowest quote.

@Raccoon:
Thanks for the pointers on the OCV and Mfd date. Will check it.

Oh and I had forgotten to mention in my earlier post that H.A.S.S.(Advaith) refused to give any kind discount on the exchange. Also they were only offering Exide and reviews of Exide on TBHP are overwhelmingly negative.
So, in case of H.A.S.S: No discount + No Amaron = No Deal
Old 23rd May 2010, 13:06   #533
Senior - BHPian

Ac delco dies after 4.4 yrs of service

hi guys,
My ac delco for my 800 purchased on jan 21 2006 died today on the morning after 4.4 years of faithfull service.I tried hard to find a replacement ad delco but the shop who sold me the same had shut down and moved/relocated elsewhere . i tried a couple of shops but to my luck one didn't stock the one needed for my 800 and the other again had shut/moved/relocated someplace else.
After roaming here and there in the santacruz-vile parle area , tired of the sun and the heat i headed straight for the Exide authorised showroom at santacruz.Yes,i have heard if it not being a good battery brand on t-bhp but Amaron seemed way to expensive and i was just too tired to go anywhere.
So settles for a Exide max with a 3 year warranty with the 1st 18 months replacement and the remaning for a discounted battery.I hope it's a decent choice and atleast wont let me down withing the warranty period.Frankly i don't think it will serve me as the ac delco did.

Paid 3000 grand for the same with 375 exchange for the old battery.My only pray is that in case something does go wrong Bat mobile will be able to help.
BTW i tried some of their nos this is one which got through (mum) 022 65206765.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 23rd May 2010 at 13:08.
Old 23rd May 2010, 18:43   #534
Senior - BHPian

I have no idea why people go hunting for batteries when dealers/companies are ready to home deliver the battery of your choice.
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:55   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I have no idea why people go hunting for batteries when dealers/companies are ready to home deliver the battery of your choice.
People go hunting because it's a sunday and the shops are closed, and the ones that are open don't pick up the phones and the ones from where you bought your last battery have shut down business and the weekdays you are are busy with work and other such activities.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 23rd May 2010 at 21:00.
Old 7th June 2010, 14:55   #536
BHPian

Its time to change my acdelco battery for optra 1.6 petrol. Trying for amaron but not able to get optra spec. acdelco was 48 ah, 55D23R. The battery dealer says i can go for 65 Ah. can i?
Old 7th June 2010, 16:54   #537
BHPian

Top up on long trips ?

Guys
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but it sure is related to batteries. A couple of weeks back I had to drive from Pune to Ajmer due to an urgent situation. I didn't have much time to prepare the car (2007 Alto Lx) or prepare myself for this 1200km trip. I had never done more than 400 kms trip and this time too I was the lone driver with 3 non driving co passengers.
Anyway, I left pune after the basic checks and we drove for almost 20 hrs with only two 45 minutes breaks in Surat and Udaipur. We were doing NH79 from Chittorgarh to Ajmer where I guess I took a wrong exit at Chittor and stopped by a shop asking for directions. When done, to my horror the car wouldn’t crank and I realised the battery had died all of a sudden. We were still 4-5 hours away from Ajmer and it was 10:30 in the night, no help around except for couple of shopkeepers on the outskirt.
The battery was an Exide OEM, maintenance type. I opened the hood and checked for water level; it was almost completely dry. Well, we didn’t have any distilled water with us so I had to fill it up with the drinking water we had. I tried to crank again, and wow!! - the car was alive again.
I didn’t stop anywhere after that until we reached Ajmer late in night around 2 am. It was a scary experience.
However, I would like to put across a couple of question for the team :
1) I didn’t know the battery dries up on continuous running. Was it because of hot Rajasthan summer, or overcharging ? On my way back , I kept a few dist water bottles, and kept topping up after every 300kms or so. And yes, the water was evaporating fast everytime I chekced. In fact it was bubbling as it'd just boil off. So, should topping up be a standard practice on long trip with such type batteries? I had never heard of such precautions before - not even in any travelogues of people doing long trip. So, I learnt a lesson there. Anyone has had any such experience with batteries?
2) Secondly, though I have got my battery checked up after return and seems to be still good. Do you think there would be any bad effects of the Bisleri water that I had put in. Any remedies?
Thanks

Last edited by Rodie09 : 7th June 2010 at 16:57. Reason: Font Correction
Old 7th June 2010, 17:03   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
....In fact it was bubbling as it'd just boil off. ...
The charging regulator/cut-out is not working in your car!
Have it attended to.
Old 7th June 2010, 17:40   #539
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Guys
I had never heard of such precautions before - not even in any travelogues of people doing long trip. So, I learnt a lesson there. Anyone has had any such experience with batteries?
2) Secondly, though I have got my battery checked up after return and seems to be still good. Do you think there would be any bad effects of the Bisleri water that I had put in. Any remedies?
Thanks
Hi, as Anup pointed out, your alternator's voltage regulator needs checking and very possibly a replacement. It is not very expensive but get it attended to ASAP because overcharging a battery will cause a sharp drop in its life. The risk of battery failure is compounded by the Bisleri drinking water which contains minerals albeit to a lesser degree than tap water.

The battery needs to be drained fully, and topped up with a fresh solution of sulphuric acid and distilled water. I recommend you have a battery dealer perform this for you.

PS - you must check the battery's distilled water levels at regular intervals especially before a long distance trip.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th June 2010 at 17:42.
Old 7th June 2010, 18:13   #540
BHPian

Hi Anup& R2D2, thanks for the quick responses. I'll surely get the voltage regulator checked for sure and will also get the battery reconditioned as you suggested.
At least, from your posts its clear that such a thing should not have normally happened even if car is driven for many hours - no wonder I never heard of any tip about topping up on long runs.

Thanks again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks