Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 18:28   #541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
At least, from your posts its clear that such a thing should not have normally happened even if car is driven for many hours - no wonder I never heard of any tip about topping up on long runs.
If things are working fine you should not need to top up battery water any more than once in about three months! Long trips do not tax the battery as much as city commutes.
Old 7th June 2010, 19:29   #542
BHPian

Few days back I changed to amaron go (previous battery died) and I found this:

On idle all electricals off - 14.2v
When radiator fan turns on - 13.44v
Headlight (100/130w) on - 11.5 v

Battery voltage in morning before crank - 12.4v

Should I continue driving with these condition as I don't have any problem but fear battery might not give long life? I told this to amaron dealer and he says no problem at all.

Other thing I am considering is change to lower wattage bulb.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:07   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
Few days back I changed to amaron go (previous battery died) and I found this:

On idle all electricals off - 14.2v
When radiator fan turns on - 13.44v
Headlight (100/130w) on - 11.5 v

Other thing I am considering is change to lower wattage bulb.
I assume this is voltage at idle RPM.

All ok with the sole exception of voltage with your 130/100W bulbs switched on. While the alt will charge the battery at normal engine RPMs i.e. >1300, if you are in stop and go traffic at low rpms with the headlamps switched on it will slowly discharge the battery. 11.5v is insufficient to even maintain the battery in a charged condition, forget charge a partially discharged battery. You're right, get rid of the bulbs and go in for 100/90 or better still stock wattage 60/55. You will obviously see a big drop in light output.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:42   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I assume this is voltage at idle RPM.

All ok with the sole exception of voltage with your 130/100W bulbs switched on. While the alt will charge the battery at normal engine RPMs i.e. >1300, if you are in stop and go traffic at low rpms with the headlamps switched on it will slowly discharge the battery. 11.5v is insufficient to even maintain the battery in a charged condition, forget charge a partially discharged battery. You're right, get rid of the bulbs and go in for 100/90 or better still stock wattage 60/55. You will obviously see a big drop in light output.
looks like a alternator charging problem bro, get it checked:
Old 15th June 2010, 09:15   #545
BHPian

Does my Jun 2007 SX4 need a new battery?

Hi,

This may not be correct thread but I could locate this only battery related thread.
Car as already mentioned, Jun 07 SX4 ZXI, OEM Battery Exide 30AH. Day to day running is 6km and does not use AC. Most of the time, return journey is with low HL. Now battery cannot crank engine after 2 times continuesly, cold start takes 1-2secs. Still HL, power windows and other accessory works.
Battery is well maintained as I myself check and maintain proper water level so that plates are not open.

Overnight halt and battery reads 12.33V, after engine start is read 14.44V and after running 5KM and engine off reads 13.2V.

Will charging solve my issue or I need new battery? Because I faced problem in yesterday's rain and traffic jam.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by omishra : 15th June 2010 at 09:19.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:41   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Hi,

This may not be correct thread but I could locate this only battery related thread.
Car as already mentioned, Jun 07 SX4 ZXI, OEM Battery Exide 30AH. Day to day running is 6km and does not use AC. Most of the time, return journey is with low HL. Now battery cannot crank engine after 2 times continuesly, cold start takes 1-2secs. Still HL, power windows and other accessory works.
Battery is well maintained as I myself check and maintain proper water level so that plates are not open.

Overnight halt and battery reads 12.33V, after engine start is read 14.44V and after running 5KM and engine off reads 13.2V.

Will charging solve my issue or I need new battery? Because I faced problem in yesterday's rain and traffic jam.

Thanks in advance
That's bound to happen since your daily running is very low and you have to use headlight and in rain you have to use wipers which also consume battery plus traffic jam which means not much charging of battery either. All these conditions are making your battery weak and hence starting trouble.

Solution is to buy a car battery charger and charge your battery overnight whenever you feel battery is going low. To check battery condition use digital voltmeter if your battery don't have indicator on it. I assume you already have digital voltmeter as you posted voltage figures Nice.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:58   #547
BHPian

Correct batt specs for Elantra CRDI

Hi

Can anyone share the correct battery specs for Elantra CRDI pls!

I have spoken to couple of battery dealers here in Bangalore & all are recommending a different capacity ranging from DIN66 to DIN80+

Gurus, pls advise!
Old 29th June 2010, 15:19   #548
BHPian

Hi - Recently my Zen (I dont use it regularly and my brother who was driving it is away for couple of months) is having starting trouble. took it to Girimaji where SA connected some Bosch battery checking device and it threw up a printout. It said 12.4V, starting capacity 60% and recommendation as "Replace battery". I am not convinced if battery has really died or almost dieing. What's your suggestion?
Old 29th June 2010, 15:40   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
Hi

Can anyone share the correct battery specs for Elantra CRDI pls!

I have spoken to couple of battery dealers here in Bangalore & all are recommending a different capacity ranging from DIN66 to DIN80+

Gurus, pls advise!
I think it takes the 75D23L. Please check with the dealer. Your car's owners manual will also have this info.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th June 2010 at 15:42.
Old 30th June 2010, 22:18   #550
BHPian

Correct batt specs for Elantra CRDI

Thanks R2D2!

I've checked with HASS, its DIN74. 75D23L is for Elantra Petrol.

Amaron dealer has quoted 9064/- for DIN74. Isn't it too high??

Can anyone suggest a Amaron dealer in Bangalore who offers a good deal
Old 30th June 2010, 22:29   #551
BANNED

Got Amaron in all cars,

Trouble free service.

Would suggest Amaron.

Also have tried Powerzone from Amaron. Since a year its been good.

I had pretty bad experiences with Prestolite and Exide long time ago.
Old 18th July 2010, 11:49   #552
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest a good Amaron dealer in Bangalore who can come home and replace battery for my car.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:55   #553
Senior - BHPian

Diesel Fan,
Amaron dealer is in RV Road, Bangalore. The one before Annapurna Service Station. They even offer at your door step service. Hope the response is not late
Old 6th August 2010, 16:32   #554

Need to decide on a new battery for my baleno !

Hi everyone , over last one and a half month or so my battery got drained and needed jumpstart three to four times. I got it checked from a local battery dealer and he detected that one cell has gone bad after observing colour of water /acid liquid turning a little brownish in it.

He suggested getting a new battery. I was going through the forum to find out which bettery brand to go with . Most people have a good experience with Amaron, so i decided to go with it but both local dealers i contacted said that recently they have faced warranty claim issues with amaron and so dont recommend it, I had a Bosch silver battery which is 3 years and six months old and was trouble free till now.

The second dealer Kabir Shoppe nehru place where i got last battery for my maruti 800 which was an amaron and lasted like 4 years or more is also saying that he doesnt keep amaron now and only keeps bosch silver. Have any of you got similar remarks from dealers recently. And finally which one should i go for ? Also i had confusion regarding the AH of the battery , if i only think of upgrading the head lights (I have no idea about which lamps and how much voltage they will take , just need brighter lights) and rest remains the same, i.e a regular H.U plus four speakers, do i need to upgrade the battery to a bigger AH number and if so what and what are my options then ?

Thanks !
Old 11th August 2010, 17:51   #555
BHPian

Sunday 8 aug 6:00 PM --- Wifey callls saying car is not starting after her sunday shopping. Went to check the car with a mechanic and found out,maid has turned on the blower and music system for quite some time and the battery is drained out. jump start the car and took it back home.
9:00 PM -- tried starting the car and no crank. I suspect the battery gone kaput as it was 4.1 years old.
9:30 PM -- message to GD bhai for a battery dealer reference. The reply comes back in 2 mins flat with a number for Amron dealer
Monday 9:00 AM --- Call up the dealer, he quotes Rs-4500 + old battery for Amron FLO DIN 45 battery.
10:00 AM-- the battery guys comes, changes the battery in 10 minutes and voila the car starts on first crank.
Extremely good service. The new battery caries a 24+24 month warranty. The car in question is ikon 1.6 and the older battery was Amron PRO

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks