Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 12:47   #556
BHPian

I still do not understand why I switched back to Exide after having pretty bad experience with OEM Battery which went dead within 6 months when I bought the car. After that I switched to Amaron and it ran for almost 4 years without any trouble whatsoever. When it started to showing its age, I decided to replace it with another Amaron but do not know what happened to my mind, I put Exide back in. It worked for almost 1 month and now last Friday, I switched off the car and would not use it for one day. When I tried to start it on Sunday, I found that the battery was completely dead, even the push start would not help. So I called local mechanic, who started the car by putting another battery in and it started fine. He asked me to run the car for 1-2 hours so that it could fully charge the battery, I did that and it appeared to be working fine but again today morning, the battery was dead. I am so fed up with this now.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:23   #557
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, we all pay for our choices.

Anyway, its not a good idea to charge a completely (or even significantly) discharged battery that way. Please consider doing that thru an external charger only.
Old 16th August 2010, 13:48   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Well, we all pay for our choices.

Anyway, its not a good idea to charge a completely (or even significantly) discharged battery that way. Please consider doing that thru an external charger only.
Yeah, I thought so too. So I called TASS from where I got this battery replaced and they offered that I bring my car to them, they give me stand by battery while they get the dead battery charged. When I asked them to send their breakdown vechicle to my place, they started making excuses.
I then called Exide Customer Care on 1800-103-5454. They gave me another number 32711111 (To be dialled with the STD Code of the city) and when I called them, they said that their service center doesn't entertain my location due to the distance.
Old 16th August 2010, 15:32   #559
Senior - BHPian

^^^Sad. So now you are stuck with a dead battery? I guess either you will have to armtwist TASS to come to send their break down vehicle or take the battery yourself. Try and get it replaced as it will be under warranty; and keep your fingers crossed about the new one.

I'v had the same experience with Exides dying... but luckily, I'm pretty much within the operational area of Batmobile and car dealer and luckily have never been stranded. But that didn't help ameliorate my hatred for Exide...

Last edited by Raccoon : 16th August 2010 at 15:33.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:19   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
He asked me to run the car for 1-2 hours so that it could fully charge the battery, I did that and it appeared to be working fine but again today morning, the battery was dead. I am so fed up with this now.
This incident should have ideally been in the 'Oh no Exide battery woes...' thread.

Seriously a 1 year old battery packing up is simply inexcusable..but do get your alternator tested. I was in a similar situation with my 20 month old Exide OEM that was on its deathbed being replaced with YET another Exide (Matrix) simply because I couldnt find a replacement in time from either Amaron or TG. I am crossing my fingers. Though the Matrix has a 5 year warranty it doesn't make me feel any more confident. Time will tell.
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:38   #561
BANNED

The Battery Advice Thread

Hi Everyone,
After serving Hariya for 3 years, the stock Exide 65AH battery has decided it will retire from service. I looked up various threads here, spoke to people, shopkeepers etc but all I could finalize was one thing: I need a maintenance free 80AH battery with the longest possible warranty.

I didn't find any Battery advice and tech spec specific threads here so am creating one not only as advice on Hariya but on batteries for all cars and bikes.

I would be grateful to all of you for your advice on the battery I should buy for Hariya.

PS: Mods, if a similar thread exists, please merge this one there.
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:41   #562
Senior - BHPian

Get this Amara Raja - Automotive - PRO

60 month warranty.

Do search for Amaron.
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:17   #563
Senior - BHPian

^+1 to that. Amaron has an awesome 60 month warranty and is MF in the truest sense of the word.
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:46   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi Everyone,
After serving Hariya for 3 years, the stock Exide 65AH battery has decided it will retire from service. I looked up various threads here, spoke to people, shopkeepers etc but all I could finalize was one thing: I need a maintenance free 80AH battery with the longest possible warranty.

I didn't find any Battery advice and tech spec specific threads here so am creating one not only as advice on Hariya but on batteries for all cars and bikes.

I would be grateful to all of you for your advice on the battery I should buy for Hariya.

PS: Mods, if a similar thread exists, please merge this one there.
Go for AcDelco (A C Delco) with closed eyes. It is by GM and is manufactured by Amaron in India. You get it for 3/4th the price of Amaron and they last really long. It is widely used in all GM cars in the US. I got one for my Matiz in 2004 and the car still starts at half crank even after 6 years (came with warranty of just 1.5 years when purchased). Thereafter, I got one for my Indica as well and it is serving me well and strong even after 2 years.

All the batteries come with various warranty options - you choose what you want to go for. Amaron indeed sells a lot but I think it is a bit hyped in India. Search for reviews for AcDelco on Google and decide for yourself. Hope it helps, thanks.
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:07   #565
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar View Post
Go for AcDelco (A C Delco) with closed eyes. It is by GM and is manufactured by Amaron in India. You get it for 3/4th the price of Amaron and they last really long.
I went to the AC Delco site and tried to find a dealer in Bangalore. No luck. Then I called a few numbers from their website. No Luck.

I dont know how to buy one.
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:40   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I went to the AC Delco site and tried to find a dealer in Bangalore. No luck. Then I called a few numbers from their website. No Luck.

I dont know how to buy one.
I can imagine how frustrating it must be if there's no dealer in BLR!

A few months back I wanted to change over from my old time fav Exide to an Amaron or even a Tata Green.

And guess what? No stock or only old stock at hand! Options were AC-D or Exide. I gave up and went in for an Exide Matrix.

If there's no AC Delco, go in for an Amaron or Exide or, if you're willing to take a chance, even a Tata Green.

Rgds,
Old 27th September 2010, 12:07   #567
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If there's no AC Delco, go in for an Amaron or Exide or, if you're willing to take a chance, even a Tata Green.
I have been told that TATA Green has the best warranty these days and am hence interested to give it a try. But am trying really hard to get AC-D as well.

Does anybody know any dealers/contacts?
Old 27th September 2010, 12:31   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been told that TATA Green has the best warranty these days and am hence interested to give it a try. But am trying really hard to get AC-D as well.

Does anybody know any dealers/contacts?
You can check out the Tata Green website. This is the list of dealers that I got from there (for BLR)

Tavoline Petro (India) Pvt. Ltd.8 Mtb Road,3Rd Floor Journalist Colony 5600029886176040 /

Kumaar Power ZoneNo. 46/1, Shop No. 1, Cm Mohan Building Near Govardhan Theatre, Tumkur Road 5600228023476779
Old 27th September 2010, 12:40   #569
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Kumaar Power ZoneNo. 46/1, Shop No. 1, Cm Mohan Building Near Govardhan Theatre, Tumkur Road 5600228023476779
I finally got the dealer for AC Delco who told me the following things:
1. There is no 80AH battery made by AC Delco which has a warranty more than 15 months.
2. The 75 AH battery has a warranty of 20+18 = 38 months and costs INR 5104.00.
3. All AC-D batteries are imported from Korea.
4. The 80AH battery with the 15 month warranty costs INR 4944.00.
5. They will only give INR 500.00 for the old battery.

Is it worth going for?
Old 12th October 2010, 09:04   #570

Swift VDI battary issue

It has been three years since I am using this car, now it's time to change the battery, please let me know the best suited battery.

I checked up with Amaron / Excide , Amaron coats 9.4 k and Excide 8.5 of course the old battery will be take back , the issue is Excide comes with 65 AH which is suited and exists in my car.

Amaron comes with 74 Ah or some thing which dealer told it will suit. Please let me know whether to stick to 65 AH or go for Amaron.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks