Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 20:03   #601
BHPian

Re: Which is the Best Car Battery Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I finally got the dealer for AC Delco who told me the following things:
1. There is no 80AH battery made by AC Delco which has a warranty more than 15 months.
2. The 75 AH battery has a warranty of 20+18 = 38 months and costs INR 5104.00.
3. All AC-D batteries are imported from Korea.
4. The 80AH battery with the 15 month warranty costs INR 4944.00.
5. They will only give INR 500.00 for the old battery.

Is it worth going for?
The dealer is talking non sense. I purchased my battery (for both Matiz and Indica) from Phase 7 Car Market, Mohali. And guess what? Just an hour ago we purchased another Ac Delco from one of the dealers in MAnimajra (Nr Panchkula) for my colleague's Indica. They have now started manufacturing batteries in India and instead of blue & black color, the battery is red in color and way heavier than the Bosch I was asked to lift by the dealer for comparison. I checked the Made in Korea ones as well but the one that we bought now was Made in India.

We got it for Rs 3100 with bill + 18 months free replacement warranty and for Rs 850 for the old Ac Delco (Made in Korea) battery. If you go thru the Ac Delco website or pay a visit to Chevrolet showroom, you will know that they are using Ac Delco in all their cars.

Moreover, this battery is 70 Ampere (I don't know the terminology) as against the Tata Green / SK Sonic Jumbo which were 65 Ampere and were costing Rs 3500 and Rs 3450 respectively. By far, I am pretty satisfied with their batteries and service.
Old 23rd February 2011, 22:51   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dre View Post
Maruti SX4 ZXi_model year Oct/2007 came with Exide Freedom 38B20L Battery. The car would'nt crank in the morning on 25th Dec 2010. The battery store guy said that one cell had gone dead.

Replaced with Amaron FLO 42B20L
Pkd 10/10
Net Wt 10.3 Kg
Warranty 24 + 24 months
MRP INR 4105/-
Selling Price after Discount and Exchange INR 3300/- (with home delivery and installation)
My Aveo's battery (2007, October) shows the sign of weakness today. Last Monday I have taken out my car after a month and i drove around 1 hour on that day. But when i tried today evening it's not cranking.
Looks like Amron is popular here.
Can someone put some idea, which model i can look for?
Is there any Amron dealers nearby Marthahalli - Sarjapur outer ring road? What about trying at Carnation, its very near to my place also.
Old 25th February 2011, 18:47   #603
BHPian

Replaced the battery with Amaron FLO (AAM-FL-555107050). They are calling its DIN55.
Packed on 12/2010.
Warranty 24 + 24
I got this from Carnation, Bangalore. Today afternoon i went there, immediately they came to my home with new battery and changed it.
MRP INR - 6700+
Carnation Price - 6242
I got it for 5930 (6242 - 5% for old battery).

Kropex is quoting at MRP.
Amron pitshop is quoting MRP-5%.
Old 31st May 2011, 14:38   #604
BHPian

Ok. looks like it is time for me to replace the battery in my indica diesel. bosch silver worked fine for around 40 months. OEM exide had lasted 30 months. What i liked about bosch is that it showed all the signs of weakening over a period - i.e. headlights dimmed when the car was cranked, took a long crank to start esp if the ice/fan on for while at a traffic snarl etc. The OEM exide on the other hand just died one fine day.
Anyway here is the deal
Exide freedom : 4300 (12 month replacement )
Exide Champion : 5300 ( 18 month replacement + 6 month pro rata)
Old battery = 750

SF Sonic Jumbo = 5300 (24 month replacement)
Bosch Silver = 5300 (18 month replacement)
Amaron = 5300 (18 month replacement)
Old Battery = 350

Tata Green = ? but i am sure it too will be 5300, the magical figure!

Thanks to price-warranty confusion, selecting a battery seems to have become a complex affair. Help me out folks.
Old 31st May 2011, 14:47   #605
BHPian

Try to get AC Delco. It is GM approved & I have used it in my M800 with 100/80 headlamps + 100W Hella foglamps + Steibel Horn + Amplifier & has been working fine for 2+ years.
Old 31st May 2011, 22:44   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Try to get AC Delco. It is GM approved & I have used it in my M800 with 100/80 headlamps + 100W Hella foglamps + Steibel Horn + Amplifier & has been working fine for 2+ years.
I have an extremely bad experince with AC Delco. The Battery gave up on me in barely 1.5 years. Service was bad from dealer and he even went to the limit of showing how many returns he had. He said he was closing his association with the brand. I would not recommend inspite of it being GM approved.

I wasnt too big a fan of Exide but the way the exide bat mobile bailed me out twice with this AC Delco battery. I just had to go back to Exide

to Exide. Additional advantage with Exide is , if the battery does go flat, batmobile give a free service ,battery no Q's asked, with drop to the nearest Exide dealer who recharges your battery for a nominal charge.

Exide has been the best lot in terms of service. Inspite of the fact that the quality and life might not be the best around .
Old 1st June 2011, 02:30   #607
BANNED

I have been using the Cummins VRLA dry battery on my Scorpio for the past one year and have had a very satisfying experience with it. It is smaller, lighter, yet more powerful and is completely dry.

In terms of tech, it is the best around.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:33   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
I have an extremely bad experince with AC Delco. The Battery gave up on me in barely 1.5 years. Service was bad from dealer and he even went to the limit of showing how many returns he had. He said he was closing his association with the brand. I would not recommend inspite of it being GM approved.
Was it sealed, fully MF battery made in Korea with a green charge indicator?

I remember that ACDelco was giving better warranty compared to Amaron at the time of purchase.

In Ottapalam (Small town in KL) the dealer was stocking good numbers of AC Delco. Don't know the status now.
Old 1st June 2011, 13:43   #609
BHPian

Found a better deal on Bosch - 4464/- ( i.e. 5% discount and Rs 680 for old battery)
Tata Green 70AH - 5310 (24+24)
Tata Green 60AH - 46XX (18+6)
Old battery = 750 so 70AH should be available for around 4560/-

I am thinking of picking up tata green 70AH today evening.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 1st June 2011 at 13:44.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:29   #610
BANNED

My Exide ATB-95D31L with 80Ah died peacefully yesterday, after serving 3 years and 11 months exactly. I thought of getting pro rata discount, but it is mere 15%, After Rs.10050 MRP, i get for around 8500, but even without pro rata, i get for same price with dealer with my old battery exchange. So I thought of going for cheaper option.

Sorted out to BASE BTMF 90D26R - L which is 77 Ah, Though i had an option for Tata Green for Rs.4700 for 80Ah, since the waranty was 18+6 months, but Base has 18+18 months with 25% prorata discount. Other good brands like amaron, bosch, delco are costlier, Though there was an exide at the price range of Rs.4800, that was second quality, with 18+6 months warranty.

so I gone for BASE. fitted it for Rs.4500 , after giving old battery, Its MRP is Rs.5980. Hope it wont give problem.
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:53   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
Ok. looks like it is time for me to replace the battery in my indica diesel. bosch silver worked fine for around 40 months. OEM exide had lasted 30 months. What i liked about bosch is that it showed all the signs of weakening over a period - i.e. headlights dimmed when the car was cranked, took a long crank to start esp if the ice/fan on for while at a traffic snarl etc. The OEM exide on the other hand just died one fine day.
Anyway here is the deal
Exide freedom : 4300 (12 month replacement )
Exide Champion : 5300 ( 18 month replacement + 6 month pro rata)
Old battery = 750

SF Sonic Jumbo = 5300 (24 month replacement)
Bosch Silver = 5300 (18 month replacement)
Amaron = 5300 (18 month replacement)
Old Battery = 350

Tata Green = ? but i am sure it too will be 5300, the magical figure!

Thanks to price-warranty confusion, selecting a battery seems to have become a complex affair. Help me out folks.
Dude, its not half that complex if you just remove Exide and SF from the list. What you could add to the list is Base Terminal/Panasonic. You shouldn't go wrong with any of these... just consider the price and warranty between them. Though Amarons (and probably Bosch) may last longer.

As for service, here the dealers look after it. When our battery ran out (it wasn't the battery's fault), they promptly sent someone on a scoot, took away the battery for charging and returned it the next day. So while they may not exactly have a dedicated van like Exide, its not like you are left out in the lurch. Bat Mobile won't charge your battery and stuff anyway.

And the best service is one that you never need. If its a choice between battery quality and service, I'd choose the former anyday. Which very simply means Exide is out.

Last edited by Raccoon : 3rd June 2011 at 01:55.
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:51   #612
BHPian

Thanks racoon, got a tata green , well it is actually blue in colour, battery 70AH, 24+12 warranty @ 4500. Had a bosch silver previously so felt why not try tata green ,err blue. So far so good, car cranks up well and the ICE doesnt go off every time i crank.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:36   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

I changed my car's battery last week. Went with MGP SF itself.

Car : Swift VDi, Oct 2008
Stock battery : Exide - Lasted for 2.5 years & 53,000 kms.

I still think the stock one served me well as I had done a lot of 10 hour drives [with short breaks] in the night and used to play music almost all the time in those drives. I have a subwoofer & amplifier as well - So I think it held up really well.

New battery :: Din 65 / Din 62
Price :: 9435 - 935 [Old battery] = 8500/-
Warranty :: 2 years [replacement] + 2 years [repair]

The swift diesel battery costs almost double the price of swift petrol ones !
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:38   #614
BHPian

Hi folks, i am planning to replace the battery of my optra. the current battery AC Delco is rated at 55ah and the alternator is rated at 75. So what is the max capacity battery that i can install. I dont want to upgrade the alternator.

I think I will go with Amaron, my choices are
DIN55 - 55Ah
DIN60 - 60Ah
DIN74 - 75Ah

they are all more orless the same size
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:53   #615
BHPian

I was perplexed that there is no guarantee given by the manufacturer for a new car. I mean the OEM warranty should apply, normally exide used to give 3 years warranty for their regular batteries. AMRON is a good battery too. AMCO Batteries is now down i suppose. Any idea of Standard Furakuwa

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks