Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 12:00   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I finally got the dealer for AC Delco who told me the following things:
1. There is no 80AH battery made by AC Delco which has a warranty more than 15 months.
2. The 75 AH battery has a warranty of 20+18 = 38 months and costs INR 5104.00.
3. All AC-D batteries are imported from Korea.
4. The 80AH battery with the 15 month warranty costs INR 4944.00.
5. They will only give INR 500.00 for the old battery.

Is it worth going for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deva kuduvalli View Post
It has been three years since I am using this car, now it's time to change the battery, please let me know the best suited battery.

I checked up with Amaron / Excide , Amaron coats 9.4 k and Excide 8.5 of course the old battery will be take back , the issue is Excide comes with 65 AH which is suited and exists in my car.

Amaron comes with 74 Ah or some thing which dealer told it will suit. Please let me know whether to stick to 65 AH or go for Amaron.
Why is Amaron so expensive? What car is this for?
Old 12th October 2010, 12:46   #572
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to what people have experienced, my experience with Exide has been good. Last I used was the maintenance free 36 months warranty one. But that was two years ago.

@deva kuduvalli : Immaterial of what brand you choose, you must stick to the recommended AH. You must refer to manual for that. Dont go by what the dealer says. He is there to make money.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:59   #573
Team-BHP Support

Whats the feedback on Base Terminal? For my Swift D, its coming out to be approx 5k instead of 7.2k for Amaron. Thats some saving. Confused whether I should go for it.
Old 12th October 2010, 15:37   #574
Senior - BHPian

^^^They are good and the deal for you is even more attractive because of the price difference.
Old 23rd October 2010, 19:27   #575
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Whats the feedback on Base Terminal? For my Swift D, its coming out to be approx 5k instead of 7.2k for Amaron. Thats some saving. Confused whether I should go for it.
Go for Base terminal. It's not bad at all.
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:04   #576
BHPian

Two batteries to consider.

Before you put your money into any battery please do check out these two batteries from different manufacturers.

One is Amaron Optima.
Amara Raja - Automotive - Optima

Second one is Cummins Shakthi.
http://www.cumminsindia.com/cdss/pdf...ries_Final.pdf

I would go with Cummins Shakthi of the above two if they can be put into your automobile. I feel there is no competition for them in our replacement battery market.
Old 23rd October 2010, 20:38   #577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Go for Base terminal. It's not bad at all.
Thanks Mithun.

Got the BT DIN66 a couple of days ago for Rs 4500 net.
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:19   #578
BHPian

I use my car only over the weekend at Mumbai. I need to charge the battery - topup so that the car starts immediately. Does anyone know a good battery charger?

I have a Premier padmini with alternator and without AC.
Old 24th October 2010, 01:01   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Before you put your money into any battery please do check out these two batteries from different manufacturers.

One is Amaron Optima.
Amara Raja - Automotive - Optima

Second one is Cummins Shakthi.
http://www.cumminsindia.com/cdss/pdf...ries_Final.pdf

I would go with Cummins Shakthi of the above two if they can be put into your automobile. I feel there is no competition for them in our replacement battery market.
Thanks Dr.

But the links lead to heavy duty truck batteries! Are you suggesting to put these in cars? would they be compatible? Would they not be much more expensive?
Old 24th October 2010, 14:20   #580
BHPian

My Amaron (is it optima) went bad a couple of days ago, not sure it if it was battery issue or the local dealer had done something wrong while filling in distilled water. The voltage was showing 9.5V, expected to be 12.5V. Amaron customer service experience is something to quote here. I had called and reported the issue around 11 A.M, no one called me back until past 1 P.M. I call them again and again to get some cell# of local franchisee. This guy tells me my area does not fall in his service area, I make more calls, and help comes finally at 7 p.m. It is just over 26 months after I purchased the battery. For first 24 months, the warranty covers replacement, beyond that it is prorated or recharge, etc..
Old 24th October 2010, 16:47   #581
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Quite possible the local dealer raped the battery. Expect them to even use tap water instead of distilled or a spurious distilled water bottle. If you want your batts to last, consider taking care of them yourself.

Sad to hear that a good battery (Amaron) has such bad service.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:28   #582
Senior - BHPian

Got a new battery for my Optra 1.6 petrol, i was told the old AC Delco OEM battery was becoming weak when I gave the car for 60k service.
I bought Amaron 95D26R which is what Sundaram recommended for Optra. it cost me 4300/- after buyback of old battery. It carries a 3 year warranty with 18 month replacement warranty.
Old 24th October 2010, 21:16   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ Quite possible the local dealer raped the battery. Expect them to even use tap water instead of distilled or a spurious distilled water bottle. If you want your batts to last, consider taking care of them yourself.

Sad to hear that a good battery (Amaron) has such bad service.
I will take to proper Amaron dealer next time, I went to this local dealer to buy distilled water for an inverter (Rs 10/ Ltr) and thought I could as well have car battery filled with water. This was a bad decision. The technician from Amaron tells me the acid could have could have become diluted because of adding water. Ofcourse I am not filing water in the inverter batteries myself
Old 24th October 2010, 22:05   #584
BHPian

Those Cummins and Optima batteries are very small and light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Thanks Dr.

But the links lead to heavy duty truck batteries! Are you suggesting to put these in cars? would they be compatible? Would they not be much more expensive?
Since these batteries are very small and light you should see whether they fit into your engine bay. If they do then rest assured you will not find better battery tech than these. As far as price is concerned the Cummins battery's are cheaper(yes cheaper for now) for similar cranking capacity. These batteries are especially good for those with high power electrical equipments like ear numbing amps and extra powerful aux lights.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:01   #585
BHPian

It is a replacement now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I will take to proper Amaron dealer next time, I went to this local dealer to buy distilled water for an inverter (Rs 10/ Ltr) and thought I could as well have car battery filled with water. This was a bad decision. The technician from Amaron tells me the acid could have could have become diluted because of adding water. Ofcourse I am not filing water in the inverter batteries myself
The Amaron technician came back today the battery has gone bad, got a replacement for Rs 3360, pro-rated under 4 year warranty. This comes to ~43% discount. May be this is one off case or the water filled by local dealer did the damage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks