Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2017, 17:18   #736
BHPian

Re: The Fuel Additives Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I have ordered http://www.amazon.in/STP-Diesel-Trea.../dp/B00PFU56C2, has anyone heard about this brand ? I am going to use it in my 28k km old Ford Ecosport TDi.
STP is quite a popular brand. I have used this specific bottle few times, not a bad product; but in my case I didn't feel much positive effect. Do try it and post your observations.
on similar lines, other popular products are Abro DT-508 (blue bottle) and Abro DT-502 (yellow bottle) - I have used them more than above STP one, and found them bit better.

Last edited by pcpranav : 6th February 2017 at 17:22. Reason: added info about Abro
Old 6th February 2017, 17:42   #737
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I bought the STP Petrol Additive Fuel Injector Cleaner for my 120K Kms driven 15 year old Gypsy.
Im going to use it as soon as I come back to India and see how it behaves.

I want to know is there any harm in buying a similar Fuel Injector Cleaner for the 37K Kms driven 5 year old Yeti?
Old 6th February 2017, 19:04   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I want to know is there any harm in buying a similar Fuel Injector Cleaner for the 37K Kms driven 5 year old Yeti?
Pls check the service manual of the Yeti. Some manufacturers are hesitant to support use of additives.

The Gypsy would be fine with additives.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 19:26   #739
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Pls check the service manual of the Yeti. Some manufacturers are hesitant to support use of additives.

The Gypsy would be fine with additives.
I will do so Condor.
Any recommendations specifically for the Gypsy in terms of additives/ injector cleaner fluids?
Old 6th February 2017, 19:27   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will do so Condor.
Any recommendations specifically for the Gypsy in terms of additives/ injector cleaner fluids?
For the Gypsy, you can try the good ol' System-G ( at BP bunks) or Addon-P (at IOC bunks).
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 19:29   #741
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For the Gypsy, you can try the good ol' System-G ( at BP bunks) or Addon-P (at IOC bunks).
Yes I used to use System G regularly for my old Gypsy 970CC - both Soft top and Hard top versions when I had them.
Now with this MPFi 1.3 King which has done 1.2 lac kms, I just bought STP Fuel Injector cleaner in Dubai. Im back this weekend and will pour it in and see what happens.
Wondering whether I need to do this with every full tank of Gas or what?
Old 6th February 2017, 20:05   #742
BHPian

Re: The single BEST fuel additive: 1 for Diesel and 1 for Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Update. Added the 200ml liqui moly diesel fuel additive last week. (200ml in full tank of 48 Liters). The suggested concentration is 200ml for 50 Liters of diesel. Driven around 250 KMs after this. Engine feels slightly less noisy and smooth. Definitely shows an improvement in fuel economy. Will be able to give the actual FE during the next refill.
Any update on the improvement in FE sir?

I'm planning to try this product out in my Fiat Punto 1.3 Emotion 75 HP. It is now closing in on 8 years of age, and seems to be giving me considerably low FE (could be due to my driving style).

Based on other members' feedback here so far, this product seems to make the engine more smooth, and increase the FE by a bit, so I'm curious to know your feedback on the effect this product has on a car with more or less the same engine as mine.

Cheers
Old 6th February 2017, 20:24   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wondering whether I need to do this with every full tank of Gas or what?
STP is for occasional use, more like a flush. You add one bottle to one tank of fuel
System-G / Addon-P would be for regular use, to be used @ 1ml per litre of fuel.

This should give you an idea of they work - both in different ways.

Suggestion:
You can use the STP now, and you will know the difference soon. You can then run on only petrol for sometime, and once in a way, use the others.

Last edited by condor : 6th February 2017 at 20:39.
Old 6th February 2017, 22:34   #744
BHPian

Re: The single BEST fuel additive: 1 for Diesel and 1 for Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Any update on the improvement in FE sir?

I'm planning to try this product out in my Fiat Punto 1.3 Emotion 75 HP. It is now closing in on 8 years of age, and seems to be giving me considerably low FE (could be due to my driving style).

Cheers
Rather than the FE improvement, the engine runs smoother. I do not remember the quantum by which the FE went up. There was some improvement.
Old 7th February 2017, 13:33   #745
BANNED

As for the FE and smoothness, let me go back in time. I had an Esteem Carb while my father-in-law had a Cielo. He was complaining about loss of power (he was not a driver). So I saw STP in a friendly spare dealer. Poured it into his car, and then bought the same and put it into my Esteem. Lo and behold in about 50km the Esteem was going far more smoothly with higher power. Later I tried the same (Rather System G) on a friends Baleno. After some 400km when he went back to base, his driver's were wondering whether he had some work done on his engine.

So in a car which has run down, the improvement is dramatic. On the other hand in a car which is up to scratch the improvement is not that dramatic. I was told by a pump owner the even half the normal dosage, ie 0.5ml/litre of System G should be adequate.
Old 7th February 2017, 14:15   #746
BHPian

I recently tried System-G in my civic and I think that the engine is running smoother. Although it could be a placebo effect. Regarding improved fuel-efficency, I will update once I refuel again.

However, I noticed that on cold starts, the engine starts off with a a very slight judder and then settles down to its normal tune. Wonder whether this is attributable to System-G (This judder was absent prior to using System-G)

P.S. FYI (Mumbai Bhpians) System-G is available at the HP petrol pump near Shivaji Park.

Best,
Enigmatic.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 7th February 2017 at 14:19.
Old 7th February 2017, 14:26   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
can any injector cleaning additives help if the issue is due to blocked injectors?
anything recommended for/found to be effective on hyundai diesels?
cross posting from this thread
what's a good additive to use on a hyundai crdi engine?
Old 7th February 2017, 14:57   #748
BHPian

Isn't System G an Octane booster of some sorts? I feel since you get relatively higher quality petrol/ diesel nowadays in city limits (Probably 91-93 RON) the use of such additives is diminished.
But yes, if the cars old and has done a lot of miles, then I guess it makes sense. I spoke to some Tech guys in OEM engine makers and almost all claim that these additives don't do much if the fuel is clean.
Old 7th February 2017, 16:57   #749
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I recently tried System-G in my civic and I think that the engine is running smoother. Although it could be a placebo effect. Regarding improved fuel-efficency, I will update once I refuel again.

However, I noticed that on cold starts, the engine starts off with a a very slight judder and then settles down to its normal tune. Wonder whether this is attributable to System-G (This judder was absent prior to using System-G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
Isn't System G an Octane booster of some sorts? I feel since you get relatively higher quality petrol/ diesel nowadays in city limits (Probably 91-93 RON) the use of such additives is diminished.
But yes, if the cars old and has done a lot of miles, then I guess it makes sense. I spoke to some Tech guys in OEM engine makers and almost all claim that these additives don't do much if the fuel is clean.
As far as I know System G is not an octane booster. It is essentially a degumming fluid for the fuel system. Work it does. I agree after we went BS-III petrol is supposedly 91RON minimum, unofficial additives notwithstanding, which are all over. What I do is that I add System G once in about four fills. My son puts in Premium once a month. Both seem to work. Actually at one time Indian petrol was notorious for the gumming of the fuel system, esp. . Remember the 1st Gen Cielos' parked on the roadside due to this. I think during the BS-II days refining process was changed, eliminating most of the gumming. However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating and most of use do feel a periodic dose of additive helps.

Last edited by sgiitk : 7th February 2017 at 16:58.
Old 7th February 2017, 17:41   #750
BHPian

Could be..but wouldn't that take a long time to remove all the gum from the internals to actually make a noticeable difference? How can one immediately feel the difference in engine refinement ?

I was under the impression that STP, SystemG which are basically isopropyl alcohols, anti-knock agents and Toulene improved the knock characteristics hence one immediately felt the difference after using a little

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks