Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 15:18   #2611
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Parag, my car is having a VIN before the cutoff date and is out of warranty now. Is this a recall or just informing about potentially bad part used?
This was a circular and let me tell you that I asked this question to the SA at Mandovi out of curiosity as I saw an Ertiga with its rear beam on floor and a new one getting unpacked and learnt this.

In a nutshell, it was getting replaced under warranty.

The circular also confirms that MSIL was aware of this perhaps was a silent recall.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 15:55   #2612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can refer this post and get more answers for this.

This issue has been acknowledged by Maruti for certain Model (Check the attachment in the post I have referred) and they have replaced this under Warranty.

I had spoken to a SA at Mandovi on this and was told that it had nothing to do with the Beam itself but the Welding Design on the ends which would result in noise whenever passing over speedbreakers or potholes.
Thanks Parag for this information. Looking at my Ertiga's VIN number, it should be in safe list as far as this failure is considered. Looks like this part failure issue is widespread across 2013 & 2014 models
Aficionados is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 14:43   #2613
BHPian

Looks like I have to pay a visit to the MASS as my VIN number suggests its from an earlier batch. Mine is in the extended warranty period. Will I be able to get warranty-replacement? Maruti should have taken the initiative to call the customers and replace it instead of waiting for them to find out on their own. For many customers it will be too late before they find out and pay from their pockets.
Old 4th December 2015, 00:52   #2614
BHPian

My Ertiga ZDi+ delivered today
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img2901.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-img2902.jpg  

fuzail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 09:59   #2615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by human_wheels View Post
Looks like I have to pay a visit to the MASS as my VIN number suggests its from an earlier batch. Mine is in the extended warranty period. Will I be able to get warranty-replacement? Maruti should have taken the initiative to call the customers and replace it instead of waiting for them to find out on their own. For many customers it will be too late before they find out and pay from their pockets.
Do you get a weird sound at read end while moving over road bumps? If not the said beam should be in good condition. However since we know this is the fragile part, its always good to check it during every service or in a while, at least for peace of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzail View Post
Congrats Fuzail, its a good choice

I hope you will throw some light on the performance of 1.3 MJD with
SHVS. Many would be interested to know!

Last edited by aah78 : 5th December 2015 at 00:33. Reason: HTML tags removed.
Old 4th December 2015, 13:03   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
Do you get a weird sound at read end while moving over road bumps? If not the said beam should be in good condition. However since we know this is the fragile part, its always good to check it during every service or in a while, at least for peace of mind
No sound for two and a half years of ownership so far. But if the faulty welding gives up after the warranty period I will not be happy to pay for it. Finding out about these manufacturing defects within the warranty period is one issue and convincing them to get it changed even if there is no issue at present is another Hope they change it without much hassle.
human_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 18:16   #2617
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your new car Fuzail. Wish you many miles of happy driving. Any car in white looks beautiful. Actually this is a royal colour. Please keep a watch on the service costs which are really going through the roof. They are most exorbitant now. Almost all the Maruti owners who get their cars serviced at Maruti authorized service stations will support this fact. If you will go through your service bills then you will notice that the price of spares and cost of labour will be in 50:50 ratio. For my Maruti diesel, its 10,000 Rs every 10,000 kms. This is when my car is an immaculately maintained one and look new even after 4 years.

Last edited by su1978 : 4th December 2015 at 18:18. Reason: additions to post
su1978 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 18:39   #2618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
For my Maruti diesel, its 10,000 Rs every 10,000 kms. This is when my car is an immaculately maintained one and look new even after 4 years.
I have never paid anything more than 6000 INR for my service if it involves just the Engine Oil Change along with Oil Filter.

If It includes Transmission Oil, Coolant & Brake Fluid change, its another 2000 INR more but that is all.

The Basic Paid Service cost itself is 1500 INR and if you include synthetic Oil, straightaway add another 3100 towards Oil (at 500 Per liter) and the taxes on both will make it 5000 easily.

I have always been telling this that Do-not agree to anything other than what is needed and strictly go by this logic.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:54   #2619
BHPian

Dear Fellow members
As u see I have been driving the my new ertiga since the last few days. I find the stock lighting (Head Light) very much less. what advice can u give ?.
Old 8th December 2015, 14:07   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Fellow members
As u see I have been driving the my new ertiga since the last few days. I find the stock lighting (Head Light) very much less. what advice can u give ?.
I upgraded from Swift and immediately felt the same for initial few days. Later realized that it has something to do with the driving position, The LUV is much taller than a typical car, so you will get this feeling.

I have driven for around 40K now in 2 years over all sorts of surfaces now and feel that the lighting is just OK. One advice is to try with fog lamps and you will feel better.

You can always upgrade your lighting like many people do. But it is not bad either
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 18:06   #2621
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Fellow members
This is a known issue of Ertiga. OEM lights are very week and needs an upgrade if lot of night driving happens. If you browse this thread you will notice that many members have upgraded bulbs to philips xtreme vision or osaram. This will help to some extent but not a perfect solution. You may think of adding projector headlamp which may solve the issue, but would be costlier.
Aficionados is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 18:27   #2622
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Fellow members
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I upgraded from Swift and immediately felt the same for initial few days. Later realized that it has something to do with the driving position, The LUV is much taller than a typical car, so you will get this feeling.

I have driven for around 40K now in 2 years over all sorts of surfaces now and feel that the lighting is just OK. One advice is to try with fog lamps and you will feel better.

You can always upgrade your lighting like many people do. But it is not bad either
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
This is a known issue of Ertiga. OEM lights are very week and needs an upgrade if lot of night driving happens. If you browse this thread you will notice that many members have upgraded bulbs to philips xtreme vision or osaram. This will help to some extent but not a perfect solution. You may think of adding projector headlamp which may solve the issue, but would be costlier.
More than the headlights its mainly the reflector design that renders the throw useless if driving in rains or pitch dark roads without markings.

I have upgraded to 100/90 Philips Rally with a Wiring Kit & Relay and using this since the past 2 years now. I upgraded to this kit when the Odo was 5000 and as of today the Odo is nearing 75,000 kms and have faced no issues with fading of the reflector lens.

I mostly end up driving all night too but on low beams which are anyway good to manage the show after this upgrade.

This will be the cheapest, reliable and an easy upgrade to better the headlights in the Ertiga.

Not just this, my WagonR too is running on the same set-up since more than 6 year (And close to 175,000 kms). The worst that has happened is one of the filaments of the bulb fusing out which is again a common occurrence with so many kms of driving.

In the Ertiga, so far I have not replaced the Bulbs after the upgrade.
Old 8th December 2015, 21:10   #2623
BHPian

@parag can u tell me what all is required to upgrade to 90/100. like the lights ,relay etc of which brand.
Also between Philips rally & extreme vision which is better.
Your advice would be very helpful

Last edited by fuzail : 8th December 2015 at 21:40.
Old 8th December 2015, 22:24   #2624
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=fuzail;3865610what all is required to upgrade to 90/100. like the lights ,relay etc of which brand.[/QUOTE]

Bulbs: H4, Philips Rally, 100/90w
Relay & Wiring Kit: Hella, Roots, Philips, Thimson (All are good enough)

Quote:
Also between Philips rally & extreme vision which is better.
Your advice would be very helpful
Philips Rally will only come in 100/90 configuration (and if I know, 100/130w also) and they are not a direct fit and will need the above relay Kit.

Philips xtreme vision on the other hand are stock replacement bulbs which are direct fit by removing the existing bulbs as they are of the same wattage as stock bulbs (60/55w).

Between the 2, option 1 is my recommendation based on my usage so far. It certainly improves the visibility and throw due to the additional wattage while xtreme vision will only improve this marginally at almost same or little more price only for the bulbs.

1.Philips Rally + Kit = 1200-1400 INR all inclusive
2.Philips xtreme Vision = Around 1200-1400 for a Pair of Bulbs

So, in case the Bulb fuses in case of 1, you spend 250-300 for each Bulb and in case of 2, you will spend 600-700 for a bulb.
Old 9th December 2015, 13:08   #2625
BHPian

Hello Parag,

Can you please let us know where you had the 100/90 relay + blub upgrade done in Bangalore? Or can you recommend a place? I am sure many places in JC road will have face/duplicate items.

thank you!

Most Viewed