Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:19   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaas2000 View Post
Looks like new 'limited edition' Ritz is launched:Link

Here are the features:

'Ritz Genus’ will be available as an option on the Ritz VXi (Petrol) and Ritz VDi (Diesel) models

Here’s a list of features in the newly introduced ‘Genus’ version of the Ritz • New signature colour: Emerald Blue
• Keyless entry
• Tilt steering
• Parcel tray
• Distinct Body graphics
• Rear wash and wiper
• Radio + CD player with speaker
• Body side mouldings
• Dual tone dashboard

Now they provide rearwiper/wash! why couldn't they provide it in top end VDI and VDI - ABS diesel versions earlier?
Continuing with my above post, happened to see a brand new Ritz Genius at Mandovi Motors yeshwantpur lot when i had gone there last sunday for a camp. The Seagreen colour is back, i remember old Zen used to be famous in this colour. The version i saw was Vdi, not sure if ABS is available in this version. Took few pics:
I also saw another box lying inside Ritz (on passenger seat) It looked like additional accessories sent from factory to be fitted at dealer end. Not sure what it had though.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-19092010236.jpg  

Maruti Ritz : Test Drive & Review-19092010238.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 26th September 2010, 19:30   #542
BHPian

Any body has an idea how to improve the rear seat passenger comfort for Ritz?
Old 26th September 2010, 21:52   #543
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunk View Post
Any body has an idea how to improve the rear seat passenger comfort for Ritz?
Drive it yourself.

Jokes apart, I don't know of any such way for any car!

Considering a hatchback tallboy, the rear seats are on the better side.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:55   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Drive it yourself.

Jokes apart, I don't know of any such way for any car!

Considering a hatchback tallboy, the rear seats are on the better side.
Agree, Ritzie's rear seats are more upright (seating wise) compared to other hatches. So generally regular sized people won't find it much of a hassle. But for tall people, leg room might be an issue if the driver and co passenger are tall as well, the front seats need to be moved forward to 'middle' position.
Old 14th October 2010, 15:57   #545
BHPian

Ritz Diesel traffic driveability

I have a Ritz Diesel that has run around 500 kms. I find third, fourth and fifth gears to be brilliant, and the car is just great for highway cruising.

However I find it very hard to drive in traffic, especially when compared with a petrol car, which is strange because I thought a diesel would be much easier at low speeds. The problems is not so much with torque, I think the torque is adequate and the vehicle can be moved at slow speeds with just clutch and brake and no accelerator. The problem is any speed higher than inching forward.

Even second gear is ok though the engine screams and groans like an old donkey at anything more than 35 kmph.

I find first gear to be the real pain. I know its mainly to move the vehicle, but there are some situations where second is too fast and you need to go on first. The petrols I have driven typically can manage up to 10-15 kmph without too much problems in first gear. In the Ritz Diesel I see:
Beyond the barely moving speed, the engine seems to stress and strain a lot to move any faster, once it has reached around 10 kmph the engine is already past 2500 rpm and is growling.
For want of a better way to describe it, I think the engine braking in first is too much, i.e the moment i let off the accelerator in first it slows down dramatically to almost standstill, without rolling forward much by itself. Also, unlike a petrol where some light taps on the accelerator are enough to keep the car moving at a slow speed, it only results in jerky/jumpy movement as the car moves forward when you tap the accelerator only to dramatically slow down as soon as the tap is over.
I often feel the car rolls/moves much faster at half-clutch in first gear rather than with the clutch fully released.

Can anybody advise if this is normal behavior for the diesel car? If so what would you suggest for me to improve my driving style?

Or is this a problem that I should take up at the first service? Will this get smoother as the car gets run-in?
Old 14th October 2010, 17:00   #546
BHPian

Driving a diesel in the city does tend to involve a lot of shifting, you just have to get used to it.
Old 14th October 2010, 17:34   #547
BHPian

How high on the rpm do you go to in the first gear? In a diesel, the noise is so much more at slow speeds. If you are not crossing 3000 rpm the engine doesnt feel strained. It's just that it makes so much more noise compared to a petrol!
Old 14th October 2010, 18:19   #548
BHPian

I was facing the same issue with my Linea MJD. But recenlty I discovered that the problem was with the way I was driving. I was releasing full clutch after gear change. Now I have learnt the trick of using Clutch and accel in proper synch. That's helping get turbo into picture early and city driving has become a breeze. I was thinking the engine is underpowered but that's past.

1.3 DDiS has to be more than sufficient to move Ritz in normal traffic situations in city and highway.

Check/Adjust your driving style (especially usage of Clutch/Accel) and see if that helps.
Old 14th October 2010, 18:40   #549
BHPian

Even I've learnt to live with frequent gear shifting between second and first when in bumper to bumper traffic. My only pleasure is looking forward for that empty patch and shift to 3rd gear or higher and wait for turbo to kick-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Check/Adjust your driving style (especially usage of Clutch/Accel) and see if that helps.
Autocop, Can you explain what style you're talking about? Are you saying not to release clutch completely and accelerate a little at the same time?
Old 14th October 2010, 19:06   #550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Now I have learnt the trick of using Clutch and accel in proper synch. T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by debugged View Post

Autocop, Can you explain what style you're talking about? Are you saying not to release clutch completely and accelerate a little at the same time?
Autocop, you suggesting we do a bit of clutch riding?

I still haven't found a solution for this, the 2nd gear has too much torque (Swift D). As a result, I usually ride the brakes instead of clutch, I know I am harming the engine, but I am really clueless.
Old 14th October 2010, 19:28   #551
BANNED

The problems you guys are facing is because maruti has not been able to make the deliver of power linear so while they give you a smile on outright acc. , the pain comes in practical everyday situations of driving in traffic, stop-go , sudden brakes etc.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:09   #552
BHPian

I am driving a Swift D for the past 6 months and the city driving is one thing I always love from this car. I think you guys needs to get used to the "diesel" style and believe me you'll love it.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:22   #553
BHPian

@bhp_maniac: Can you describe the "diesel style"? I have not driven diesels much, except a Figo diesel. I hear the same complaint from a friend who has a Manza diesel about the first and second gears being very non-responsive.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:36   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

You cannot really expect best of both worlds always. The Swift and Ritz have more peppy performance but struggle in crawling traffic compared to Punto and Linea, the Fiat on the other hand have just the right gears for crawling traffic but the choice of gear ratios is not best suited for an enthusiast who loves sprints every now and then.

It really is not much of an problem once you get used to Diesel Engine's power delivery. I drive diesels all the time, the turbo lag some how does not bother me much. May be i am too much used to driving CRDIs.
Old 15th October 2010, 14:03   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
@bhp_maniac: Can you describe the "diesel style"? I have not driven diesels much, except a Figo diesel. I hear the same complaint from a friend who has a Manza diesel about the first and second gears being very non-responsive.
What I've felt after switching from a petrol to diesel is that as everybody knows acceleration of a diesel will not be as good as a petrol. So drivers tend to feel that the running gear is being underpowered and bang on throttle. But the thing is that the engine is having enough pulling power, but lesser acceleration. Diesel has one important advantage of better torque, if correctly used will help you in city traffic. Also the power band of a diesel is narrower compared to a petrol. So revving a diesel engine above the power band is of no use. Just shift gears while in the power band. Yes, it takes a bit time to get adjusted to.

In my case, I use the following techniques in city.

1) Seldom use of throttle in 1st and 2nd gears. I normally drive on first or second without throttle input. The vehicle will pull even on a climbing area very resonably. I use throttle only when needed to shift to third. I am practicing this for the past few months and seems to be very effective in my city(kochi) traffic.

2) Practice coasting in bumper to bumper traffic.

Somebody can add up to the list.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 15th October 2010 at 14:04. Reason: typing errors

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks