Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 18:38   #2146
Senior - BHPian

IMHO 12-13 is kinda low for a diesel engine.
Would have liked it to be in the range of 15-16.
Old 24th April 2010, 19:00   #2147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Dont calculate the mileage using the DTE, It will always show a lesser mileage. Do it the 'desi' way by using the odometer.
The Figo is NOT impressive IMO. The DTE / odo looks out of place on the right side. The fiesta has a better console.

Checked the Figo @ MPL ford who gave me a 400m TD. Neat 1st gear but could not really check out the highway dynamics at peak hours.

Its sad, it DOES NOT COME with climate control, alloys, TL tires and various avarages such as Kmpl / IC, steering audio controls, etc etc such as the Fiat Grande Punto.

The FGP has a pretty accurate kmpl that tallies with the manual calculations using odo. The best part is one does not feel the speed of the vehicle until the engine tells you with a mild growl over 3K rpm or when you look at the speedo by mistake

The FIgo also looks like the old fiesta. FORD is very conservative

Lets see the numbers game as well as the highway dynamics.

Last edited by headers : 24th April 2010 at 19:04.
Old 24th April 2010, 22:55   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Dont calculate the mileage using the DTE, It will always show a lesser mileage. Do it the 'desi' way by using the odometer.
i think you didnt read my post fully, i have mentioned both the desi style which shows 12 kmpl. i didnt use the odo but the trip meter, i hope that is not conservative. Trip meter reading since last reset at the bunk 343.6 diesel filled 28.68 litres that comes to 11.98 kmpl
Old 24th April 2010, 23:20   #2149
BHPian

A couple of pics of figos in various colours outside MPL ford .Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_3389.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_3390.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_3391.jpg
Old 24th April 2010, 23:20   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
i think you didnt read my post fully, i have mentioned both the desi style which shows 12 kmpl. i didnt use the odo but the trip meter, i hope that is not conservative. Trip meter reading since last reset at the bunk 343.6 diesel filled 28.68 litres that comes to 11.98 kmpl
Hey that quite poor mileage for a TDCi, I hope it will improve after the first service.

@Mustang- are there any specific setting changes made to the engine tuneup after the first service or is it just the oil change and running-in effect frees up the engine for better performance ?
elaborate
Old 25th April 2010, 08:59   #2151
Senior - BHPian

The Diesel FE - My Take

Quote:
Whether you calculate by DTE or by desi style the mileage is almost the same. In my case too the DTE is "acceptably accurate". 12kmpl seems to be less unless you had a lot of idling with a/c and bumper to bumper traffic conditions. There are a few things i have noticed on diesels in my very short experience with the TDCi.

To get better efficiency figures:
- Keep the rpm's between 1400-2000rpm
- Dont push hard on the accelerator and dont be too soft with it either. There is a point in between where the diesel clatter is minimal while the engine pulls the car. The trick is to find that spot and use it as frequently as possible.
- Using the engine rpm above 2700-3000 is just noise pollution at cost of fuel.
- Idling with a/c does hamper F.E figures but bumper to bumper traffic does more damage to the figures.
- Running on wet roads would bring your F.E considerably low especially if Ford blesses you with the acelere's.
- A sudden change in driving style seems to bring down F.E considerably. Maybe its the ECU relearning. I'm not sure.

Dont expect more than 14km/l in city traffic. The claims of 18-20km/l are just crap. I dont think any car can do over 900km in city traffic on just one full tank. If you look at the car magazines you would see them claiming figures around 17-18km/l for the Ritz D (its "supposed" to be the most F.E) but if you dig further and check out their long term reviews (of the cars in their garage) you would see average figures around 14km/l from the same cars. Dont believe me? Check out some of the magazines.

And dont forget to clean your exhaust systems with those weekly workouts at 3K rpm for 30 seconds.

@Mustang: Can this be done at idle. Or should the car really be doing high speeds? 3K in 5th gear for 30 seconds is close to impossible on roads here.

Disclaimer: This is purely based on my experience and observations and i am not a technical guy.
Old 25th April 2010, 09:41   #2152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The Figo is NOT impressive IMO. The DTE / odo looks out of place on the right side. The fiesta has a better console.

Checked the Figo @ MPL ford who gave me a 400m TD. Neat 1st gear but could not really check out the highway dynamics at peak hours.

Its sad, it DOES NOT COME with climate control, alloys, TL tires and various avarages such as Kmpl / IC, steering audio controls, etc etc such as the Fiat Grande Punto.

The FGP has a pretty accurate kmpl that tallies with the manual calculations using odo. The best part is one does not feel the speed of the vehicle until the engine tells you with a mild growl over 3K rpm or when you look at the speedo by mistake

The FIgo also looks like the old fiesta. FORD is very conservative

Lets see the numbers game as well as the highway dynamics.
Ofcourse the Fiesta has a better console than the figo & thats why the cheapest diesel variant(EXi) of the fiesta is more than 2 lacs more expensive than the titanium variant of the figo.

The titanium does come with TL tires & so does the zxi AFAIK. You want ACC, steering audio controls etc. at prices of 4.44 lacs for petrol titanium & 5.30 lacs for TDCi titanium, Then I am sorry but that cant be provided. However you will see alloys in the first facelift.

Yes, ford is conservative but thats for a purpose. This way we can get economies of scale structure in India which means cheaper manufacturing, cheaper parts & cheaper repairs & this benefit is ultimately passed on to the customers. Also since this car was 1st developed 7 years ago, this does not mean thats its not capable. Ask any auto expert in UK about the fiesta hatch there (which was discontinued in 2009) & they will keep going on about its dynamic ability & fun to drive factor.

Quote:
This is strange, My fusion which is much heavier than the figo gives atloeast 14 with AC on & in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Hey that quite poor mileage for a TDCi, I hope it will improve after the first service.

@Mustang- are there any specific setting changes made to the engine tuneup after the first service or is it just the oil change and running-in effect frees up the engine for better performance ?
elaborate
No changes are made except for fluid changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post

@Mustang: Can this be done at idle. Or should the car really be doing high speeds? 3K in 5th gear for 30 seconds is close to impossible on roads here.

Disclaimer: This is purely based on my experience and observations and i am not a technical guy.
It can be done at idle also.
Old 25th April 2010, 11:06   #2153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

All those goodies for its current price tag???

Its not positioned below FGP/Polo/i20 without a reason

Am sure ford will be happy to provide those features for an extra 2 lakhs but then everyone will write it off as absurdly priced(the Jazz story, although the car was a benchmark in built quality)

Figo is overall a better VFM than any other car in the hatchback segment and the public has already given its verdict that it is an impressive package.
Old 25th April 2010, 12:09   #2154
BHPian

Hey - thats my Green on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
A couple of pics of figos in various colours outside MPL
Old 25th April 2010, 12:48   #2155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Whether you calculate by DTE or by desi style the mileage is almost the same. In my case too the DTE is "acceptably accurate". 12kmpl seems to be less unless you had a lot of idling with a/c and bumper to bumper traffic conditions. There are a few things i have noticed on diesels in my very short experience with the TDCi.

To get better efficiency figures:
- Keep the rpm's between 1400-2000rpm
- Dont push hard on the accelerator and dont be too soft with it either. There is a point in between where the diesel clatter is minimal while the engine pulls the car. The trick is to find that spot and use it as frequently as possible.
- Using the engine rpm above 2700-3000 is just noise pollution at cost of fuel.
- Idling with a/c does hamper F.E figures but bumper to bumper traffic does more damage to the figures.
- Running on wet roads would bring your F.E considerably low especially if Ford blesses you with the acelere's.
- A sudden change in driving style seems to bring down F.E considerably. Maybe its the ECU relearning. I'm not sure.

Dont expect more than 14km/l in city traffic. The claims of 18-20km/l are just crap. I dont think any car can do over 900km in city traffic on just one full tank. If you look at the car magazines you would see them claiming figures around 17-18km/l for the Ritz D (its "supposed" to be the most F.E) but if you dig further and check out their long term reviews (of the cars in their garage) you would see average figures around 14km/l from the same cars. Dont believe me? Check out some of the magazines.

And dont forget to clean your exhaust systems with those weekly workouts at 3K rpm for 30 seconds.

My friend's Punto MJD for the past 1900+ kms has given an average fuel economy of 19.3 kmpl. I will ask him to post the average fuel consumption image here. I would think that mileage will improve as you pile on the kilometers.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:12   #2156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
All those goodies for its current price tag???

Its not positioned below FGP/Polo/i20 without a reason
The Fiat GP is better VFM compared to the Figo Titanium IMO. Ford should give more niceties with the vehicle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
My friend's Punto MJD for the past 1900+ kms has given an average fuel economy of 19.3 kmpl.
My dad's FGP - EP consistently returns 18 kmpl @ 120-130 kphs and 16.xx in city. Its done around 1400 kms..
Old 25th April 2010, 13:47   #2157
BHPian

Which is more FE for both city and highway driving? Is it the Fiat GP or the Ford Figo?? I'm seeing more decent figures for the Fiat GP than the Ford Figo.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:54   #2158
BHPian

Problem with Apollo tyres

Sometime back a few owners reported problems with their Apollo tyres. It seems that the car was being dragged to the left but the problem was corrected with GoodYear's.
Does this problem still exist and is Ford aware of this? Does one need to request for GoodYear while buying and is that allowed?
Old 25th April 2010, 17:47   #2159
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeggina View Post
Sometime back a few owners reported problems with their Apollo tyres. It seems that the car was being dragged to the left but the problem was corrected with GoodYear's.
Does this problem still exist and is Ford aware of this? Does one need to request for GoodYear while buying and is that allowed?
Yes ford is aware of it & ford india has terminated the contract with apollo tires & now only goodyear GT3s & MRF tires are coming from the company.

Hey guys, I took a break from all the figo threads & made my fusion ownership thread. Check it out at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rm-report.html

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 25th April 2010 at 17:48.
Old 25th April 2010, 18:01   #2160
Senior - BHPian

Finally did Figo Diesel test drive today from Lathangi. This was my first drive in a diesel car. I did not find the experience any different from the petrol cars. The drive was more or less similar to Polo petrol. Purely linear acceleration. Gear shift was a bit notchy. Better road visibility than Polo. Also I could find my comfortable driving position much faster in Figo. May be Polo has too many controls and I have to play with them a little more. Back seat room is much better than Polo. But found the Polo seats much comfortable than Figo. The over all fit and finish is much better in Polo. The price quoted was 6.43 lacs OTR for Titanium. I don’t like my cars with out alloys. So the total cost may go up by 26K (15K alloys+4.5 K fog lamps+6.5K spoiler). So it may end up around 6.7-6.75 lakhs in place of 6.95lacs for Polo. I know it is not fair to compare a diesel and a petrol car. But to me it does not make much difference

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks