Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 18:00   #2266
BHPian

I wanted to know this too. I can change my driving style appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Would love to get some tips on how the diesel should be driven. I try to keep it within the 1400-2100 range Gear changes happen at around 2k rpm in city. ON highways i change gears just under 3K rpm and drive at speeds of around 80-100 except very very rarely where i go above 100.
Old 30th April 2010, 18:04   #2267
BANNED

@Shubhodeep : The figo does not have a front passenger airbag off s/w
Old 30th April 2010, 18:27   #2268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I drive my friend's Linea MJD which usually returns an average of 18KMPL+ on the highway. I couldn't extract anything beyond 14KMPL on the highway. I stay in the lower gears of the diesel for a longer time like I do in my Petrol car.
You must have been doing some useless revving in the higher RPM ranges. There will always be a drop in diesel FE when a guy used to petrol drives a diesel.

Quote:
Would love to get some tips on how the diesel should be driven. I try to keep it within the 1400-2100 range Gear changes happen at around 2k rpm in city. ON highways i change gears just under 3K rpm and drive at speeds of around 80-100 except very very rarely where i go above 100.

Guru's Please do post the Do's and Dont's for the TDCi engine specifically.
Here are a few simple techniques

1. Don't stomp on the accelerator from the get go. It's ok to do that with a petrol, but not on a turbo diesel.
2. Gradually accelerate until you can feel the turbo boost and then you can really accelerate.
3. Change gears at 2K RPM 'cos that's where the max torque is produced. It's useless revving beyond that and then changing gears at a higher point.
4. In bumper to bumper traffic, a turbo diesel will pull easily on idle alone without any throttle input. Just use the clutch alone and don't use the accelerator at all in B2B traffic.

The TDCi is one of the most fuel efficient engines available at the moment. Just have to adapt to it. Ask any cabbie driving an Ikon or a Fiesta TDCi and ask what mileage they get. It will not be anything less than 17 or 18.

PS: I got these tips from an Ikon cabbie who picks me up once in a while for some runs. The city mileage on that car is 18.

Last edited by Gilead : 30th April 2010 at 18:45.
Old 30th April 2010, 19:28   #2269
RGK
Senior - BHPian

<<<Don't stomp on the accelerator from the get go. It's ok to do that with a petrol, but not on a turbo diesel.
-Gradually accelerate until you can feel the turbo boost and then you can really accelerate>>

These are very valid points. Gradual acceleration will help torque to do the job. I think upshifting early without lugging will also help in FE.
Old 30th April 2010, 22:53   #2270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
@Shubhodeep : The figo does not have a front passenger airbag off s/w
Well that's a bummer. Kids are not welcome in the front seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Here are a few simple techniques

1. Don't stomp on the accelerator from the get go. It's ok to do that with a petrol, but not on a turbo diesel.
2. Gradually accelerate until you can feel the turbo boost and then you can really accelerate.
3. Change gears at 2K RPM 'cos that's where the max torque is produced. It's useless revving beyond that and then changing gears at a higher point.
4. In bumper to bumper traffic, a turbo diesel will pull easily on idle alone without any throttle input. Just use the clutch alone and don't use the accelerator at all in B2B traffic.
Quote:
I have extracted 10.5 in full city driving from my adventure 1.6. I have usually get 10-5-11 in city on our fusion 1.6. On highways the maximum i have got from the adventure is 16 and the fusion is 18.

Comparing to the Fusion 1.6

3000 RPM probably is on the higher side to change if you are looking for FE. On a diesel it's equivalent to changing up at about 5500 RPM on the Fusion 1.6 (101PS@6500rpm, 146Nm@3400rpm). For 69PS@4000rpm, 160Nm@2000rpm (on the Figo Diesel) you should look at shifting up the moment it goes past the Peak Torque figure i.e. 2000 RPM. Just like you would on the Fusion at about 3200 - 3800 RPM as it hits peak torque round about there. The story after that is left to 69 BHPs and thats not going to do anything stunning. On the highway, for max FE try and maintain 70 kmph in 5th, might help. It's just that on the TDCi, the fun actually starts at about 1800 RPM and that's really hard to resist.

Hoping that the explanation is correct though. Guys with long experience on the TDCi in Fiesta and Fusion can pitch in.
Old 1st May 2010, 20:41   #2271
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Kind request to Ford guys
-Do take up these inconsistent & poor FE feedbacks to Ford
Atleast they can analyse what went wrong in the delivered batches as they found out the swerving issue with a batch of Apollos
Old 1st May 2010, 23:21   #2272
BHPian

Happy to take the Figo plunge.

I am a proud owner of a ford figo tdci white titanium model since 20th April. Since the topic of discussion centers around fuel efficiency I am glad to quote a figure of around 16 km/lt (combined cycle) for my first tankful to tankful run. The second tankful shows around 685 DTE. The car has done about 800 kms so far and I must admit that I am hooked. This is my first diesel car and pros outweigh the cons by a huge margin.

And for all the proud figo owners, congratulations and keep revving.
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:49   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Congrats revmaxx. I think you have reported the highest average F.E till now on T-bhp. Good to hear that the TDCi is capable of doing that. Do give us some tips on your driving style, rpms at which you shift gear, how you accelerate, how you drive in traffic, and also some details of highway/city mix you did on this tank and maybe what kind of traffic you have in your city. I know its a long list. But as you can see with most of us not getting the expected / ford claimed mileage figures, we all are eager to know.

Please also let us know which tyres you got. AND WHERE IS THE OWNERSHIP REPORT!!!
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:04   #2274
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am driving Fiesta TDCi since 7 months and have covered 13500 kms.
Here are few tips (personal experience) to extract maximum FE from TDCi and simultaneously enjoy the driving.
1] City Driving ; Change the 1st and 2nd gear @ 1250+ rpm, you don't have to be in turbo range i.e 2000+ rpm as speed is low and you can crawl without kicking the turbo, take the care not to lug the engine, you can kick the turbo if you get the empty stretch and shift to 3rd and above gears (usually 3rd and above gears I keep the car in 2000+ rpm)
2] Highway Driving ; Keep the speed between 80 - 100 kmph (you can go upto 120 kmph few occassions, it pulls cleanly upto 120 - 130 kmph)
The rpm and speed are as follows ;
2000 rpm = 80 kmph
2500 rpm = 100 kmph
3000 rpm = 120 kmph
3500 rpm = 140 kmph
To extract maximum FE on highway it should be in turbo range 2000+ and below 3000 rpm.
Result ; Usually I get 14 - 15 kmpl mileage in city and 18 - 20 kmpl on highway, mix of city and highway 17 - 18.5 kmpl.
Minimum FE achieved ; 14.2 kmpl (100% city driving, 95% AC on)
Maximum FE achieved ; 22.7 kmpl (100% Four lane Pune - Bangalore highway, 100% AC on)
Milieage is by calculating Tank Full to Tank Full Method.
Other Fiesta TDCi owners Unni, Lamborghini, OSS, Anumod, Kumar7, Kapil, Rajivn etc please share your experience to give more inputs on driving style and FE figures of TDCi which will help Figo owners, as I think Figo with same TDCi engine will give better or atleast same FE like Fiesta TDCi.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:53   #2275
BHPian

Ford Figo TDci - ZXI .

Hello Team ,

Let me introduce you to my friends Ford Figo .
Let the pics do the description .
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_8385.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_8340.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_8361.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_8265.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_8341.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_8267.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-img_8346.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2010, 13:48   #2276
BHPian

@ rejoycjohn

Your snaps are certainly attracting envy from people like me, who have booked our respective TDCIs and are waiting for more than a month now. The whole joy of owning a new car seems to be melting away as the delivery gets delayed

Anyway, I wanted to know about the alloy wheels -
How much did you pay for them?
Did you get them changed at the dealership itself?
If yes, did you do it as a part of the "Titanium Pack" offer that they have?
If yes again, then is the price quoted by them for the wheels alone or for the tyres also?
Old 2nd May 2010, 14:27   #2277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Hello Team ,

Let me introduce you to my friends Ford Figo .
Let the pics do the description .
Nice set of pictures! I especially like the first one. I like the alloys too. Goes very well with the white coloured car.
Old 2nd May 2010, 14:37   #2278
BHPian

Beautiful pictures, Rejoy, in a natural setting.
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:03   #2279
BHPian

Quote:
The whole joy of owning a new car seems to be melting away as the delivery gets delayed

Anyway, I wanted to know about the alloy wheels -
How much did you pay for them?
Did you get them changed at the dealership itself?
If yes, did you do it as a part of the "Titanium Pack" offer that they have?
If yes again, then is the price quoted by them for the wheels alone or for the tyres also?
@deevilslair ,
Defintely the waiting kills !!
He had booked in the first lot of cars , and managed to get a delivery before April 1st . He booked for a black coloured dash one , but in the end the sales person said he will have to wait if its black as there is some confusion happend when the order reached the plant ( we dint believe this , as i am not sure if Ford does a make to order strategy ).
So went with the purple coloured one which was in stock .

We did the alloys as aftermarket , had to search a lot in Blore to get one as the PCD 108 ( 15" ) is rare and those ones which are there were not of our taste.
Sathya @ Evo , he helped us a lot with respect to that special thanks to him

Did a lot of searching in Bangalore to get this . Infact we were looking for a simpler alloy in the classic silver colour.

Alloys with the related accessories cost 21 K for a set of 4 . We exchanged the stock tyres and got 195/55 R15 Yokohama S drive .

@ Starrsky , thanks for your comments . Took it enroute Bheemeshwari .
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:09   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
@deevilslair ,
Defintely the waiting kills !!
He had booked in the first lot of cars , and managed to get a delivery before April 1st . He booked for a black coloured dash one , but in the end the sales person said he will have to wait if its black as there is some confusion happend when the order reached the plant ( we dint believe this , as i am not sure if Ford does a make to order strategy ).
So went with the purple coloured one which was in stock .

Even when I went to book my Figo, the dealer said I'd have to wait longer for the black dash, so I opted for the red one.
Why can't they produce both variants in bigger numbers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks