Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 20:29   #196
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks for the kind words @akp. I guess you were also selected as a winner in Honda facebook.Congrats! Your pics and experiences are awesome and your thread is the one of the reasons for me purchasing this wonderful car!
Thanks, adimicra.
Yes, that's right, but I just got a cap :-(

Quote:
It's been a while since I updated this thread.
Nothing much to write - the car is running absolutely fine. There is only one minor niggle - a slight inconsistent rattling sound which I believe is coming from the parcel tray.
Just check if it is from the rear seat. Drive around with the seat folded down and see if you still get the noise. In my case, when I had to leave the car at the workshop for 5 days, after I got it back, I started getting some noise from the rear. I wasn't sure where exactly it was coming from. I folded the rear seats, and the sound disappeared. Took it back to the workshop. They just put some tape around one of the hooks that hold the seat in place, and the noise disappeared.

Quote:
Have heard some Jazz owners complain about the low-end-response or the lack of it! Here is my take on it -
Initially, when the car was brand new, the response was dull till about 2200 rpm. Now, after 2.5K kms the response has improved a lot and it responds well from about 1700-1800 rpm. I believe this has something to do with the way you drive you car.
My experience has been similar. The response at 1700/1800 onward is quite adequate now. The key is to know exactly when to be in which gear and when to upshift/downshift.
Old 1st November 2010, 21:03   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Thanks, adimicra.
Yes, that's right, but I just got a cap :-(

Just check if it is from the rear seat. Drive around with the seat folded down and see if you still get the noise. In my case, when I had to leave the car at the workshop for 5 days, after I got it back, I started getting some noise from the rear. I wasn't sure where exactly it was coming from. I folded the rear seats, and the sound disappeared. Took it back to the workshop. They just put some tape around one of the hooks that hold the seat in place, and the noise disappeared.

My experience has been similar. The response at 1700/1800 onward is quite adequate now. The key is to know exactly when to be in which gear and when to upshift/downshift.
I think Honda India has exhausted the backpacks! Those were really good, but something is better than nothing!

I drove today with the seats down and still the noise was there and I am 99% sure that the parcel tray is the culprit!

Regarding the low-end-response, it is not great but I find it pretty adequate now that the engine has opened up! The real fun is above 3000 rpm where the engine has enuf punch to push you back in your seat!

It as been a while since I saw any updates in your thread. Take some time off to update it
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:22   #198

Quote:
I would recommend the following rpms for each gear - 1st @3000 rpm, 2nd @4500 rpm, 3rd and 4th @5000-5500 rpm.
Here's my take on this. If I were a 1st time owner or new to driving cars the rpm figures may actually scare me. I don't associate any logic but it's just human psychology that most think as long as the needle is well below half way the car is relaxed, the engine is relaxed & silently going about doing what it does best & thats how it should be driven.
While I totally agree with what is said by adi, this is how I have improved my low-end response from a lay-man perspective.
For pure city(bumper-to-bumper) Jazz drivers, who have better cars for the open road(highway) or just don't want to venture there yet, probably there is actually no way to open up your engine other than conscious increasing the rev limits when you shift up.
However if you do hit the open road or plan to (& this is what I did & do) then on an expressway or a really good 2x2 highway touch speeds of 100 or thereabouts on a 100-150km+ journey. I hope I'm not advocating speeding here because I'm not. I think modern good roads make 100 that much more achievable with little risk. This does equal good to your engine in my experiance & after 1-3 such journeys you will really feel the difference. Here are some I noticed
1. gear shift become even more smooth, especially 1 & 2.
2. earlier past 2.5k a course engine growl was heard. I know its nothing bad, infact for some this is where bliss starts but many think where engine sound starts upshift. So after these highway stints the sounds were more soothing & started a bit later. 2 reasons. Either there were really smoothened or on the highway at prolonged high revs you get better used to the engine sound.
3. the eagerness of the car to go to higher revs, when a sudden push is required in the city, increases a lot.

I must say none of the above are really scientific nor will they probably they be found in any guide/how-to type literature but I feel fundamentally they achieve the same results that numbers, statistics & drive dynamics teach us but in a very lay-man way.

Let the thoughts pour in.
Old 2nd November 2010, 10:44   #199
Senior - BHPian

Nice thoughts outlandish. Running-in is probably mistaken by most new drivers as drive as slowly as possible which is not the truth.
You need to free up your engine , the sooner the better - and I think the first 5000 kms is crucial to it (or may be between 1000 - 5000 kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outLANDish View Post

2. earlier past 2.5k a course engine growl was heard. I know its nothing bad, infact for some this is where bliss starts but many think where engine sound starts upshift.
Let the thoughts pour in.
It is actually bliss for me. Even for me, the engine growl has come down though it was never a bother for me earlier as well. The growl we hear is actually the V-TEC coming into play. I do not know the exact rpm but the V-tec starts working somewhere form 2000-2500 rpm I guess.

have found some small issues/irritants with the car (may be nitpicking, but still ) -
  • Rear bumper clearance is almost zero - means whenever you get hit from behind, be ready for a dent in your hatch door.
  • No proper place for toolkit in the boot. I thought all cars now come with a neat thermocol placeholder for toolkits but alas!
  • Engine coolant is placed in such a location that I am unable to check it properly. Other Jazz owners - can you enlighten plz?

Last edited by adimicra : 2nd November 2010 at 10:46.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:42   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outLANDish View Post
However if you do hit the open road or plan to (& this is what I did & do) then on an expressway or a really good 2x2 highway touch speeds of 100 or thereabouts on a 100-150km+ journey. I hope I'm not advocating speeding here because I'm not. I think modern good roads make 100 that much more achievable with little risk.
Outlandish can agree to the fact that 100 mark can be achieved in Jazz quickly. Actually one has to look at the speedo meter to know the actual speed at which the car is traveling.

Quote:
have found some small issues/irritants with the car (may be nitpicking, but still ) -
  • Rear bumper clearance is almost zero - means whenever you get hit from behind, be ready for a dent in your hatch door.
  • No proper place for toolkit in the boot. I thought all cars now come with a neat thermocol placeholder for toolkits but alas!
  • Engine coolant is placed in such a location that I am unable to check it properly. Other Jazz owners - can you enlighten plz?
Regarding the rear bumper can vouch for the same as just 2 days ago in the office parking lot saw a light blue colour jazz with a dent in the hatch door. Somehow felt bad after seeing the same as the registration no was after mine so must be just 5-10 days old car.
Old 6th November 2010, 00:51   #201
Senior - BHPian

Small update on the rattle -
I removed all the stuff from the boot and tested the car - no more rattles.
I am happy that it turned out to be a non-issue but again, why there is no proper place for the toolkit in the boot?

Today, I understood the importance of a boot light as several small stuff came out from the plastic shopping bag and I had to use my hand as a broom/mop to find those. Definitely doesn't feel good after spending such a large amount on the car!

My 2nd service will get delayed by a week due to Diwali! Hope to get it done next week!
Old 6th November 2010, 10:23   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Small update on the rattle -
I removed all the stuff from the boot and tested the car - no more rattles.
I am happy that it turned out to be a non-issue but again, why there is no proper place for the toolkit in the boot?

Today, I understood the importance of a boot light as several small stuff came out from the plastic shopping bag and I had to use my hand as a broom/mop to find those. Definitely doesn't feel good after spending such a large amount on the car!

My 2nd service will get delayed by a week due to Diwali! Hope to get it done next week!
Hey adimicra - Are you referring to the rattle that you thought was from the Magic Seat that has now disappeared? If you removed everything from the boot, where do you now place the reflectors and toolkit?
Old 6th November 2010, 14:36   #203
BHPian

Adi can you mention the cost and what all is taken care during 2nd service once the same is done for your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Hey adimicra - Are you referring to the rattle that you thought was from the Magic Seat that has now disappeared? If you removed everything from the boot, where do you now place the reflectors and toolkit?
I used to do this in my bike and worked wonders and also currently following up in Jazz. Wrap the tool kit in the cloth with which you normally dust your car. Once the same is done no rattling sound due to toolkit.

Reflector box is good and is not creating rattling in the car.
Old 6th November 2010, 15:28   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Yes, the same one. I thought the sound is from the seats but no issues with the seats as I found out.
I had removed the stuff from the boot just for testing, I have to put them back again. Have to try out some good way of storing those so that I don't hear the annoying rattle! Also, make sure that your rear seat belts are in a proper position. The rattle could be form the seat belt buckles hitting the door and/or the floor.
Old 7th November 2010, 22:09   #205
Senior - BHPian

I did remove the reflectors and all the other extras out of the car. The tool kit remains but I have hard fixed it between the stepney and spare tyre in such a way that it can only come out when needed.

The lack of torque is definitely there (true for all 1.2's) but the car goes on highways regularly and it is fun to revv it up.
Old 8th November 2010, 00:27   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I did remove the reflectors and all the other extras out of the car. The tool kit remains but I have hard fixed it between the stepney and spare tyre in such a way that it can only come out when needed.

The lack of torque is definitely there (true for all 1.2's) but the car goes on highways regularly and it is fun to revv it up.
Yep, I too need to find an innovative way of placing the toolkit properly! Will try it tomorrow.

I agree with the lack of torque at low rpms but I find it adequate on a relative basis compared to other petrol hatchbacks available. Of all the petrol cars I have driven (south of 10 lacks), I found the Fiesta to have excellent low-end response and equally good in the higher rev range - awesome to drive!

The 1.2 Vtec of the Jazz I believe is one of the best, if not the best (again relative to the segment of petrol hatchbacks in the country) and It sure is a joy to revv up the engine on open roads.
Old 11th November 2010, 13:40   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Nice thoughts outlandish. Running-in is probably mistaken by most new drivers as drive as slowly as possible which is not the truth. You need to free up your engine , the sooner the better - and I think the first 5000 kms is crucial to it (or may be between 1000 - 5000 kms)

The growl we hear is actually the V-TEC coming into play. I do not know the exact rpm but the V-tec starts working somewhere form 2000-2500 rpm I guess.
I agree with you about the running in. I got an opportunity to free up the engine on the express way and I must say that fuel consumption as well as response improved after that.

And Adi, Vetc engine does not growl... it ROARS. Right ? I just love the roar when its revved hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I have done the same with the tool kit and I guess that was the source of the rattle because after that rattle has stopped. I have kept the reflectors though.
Old 17th November 2010, 08:33   #208
BHPian

Hi Adi

How is the Ground Clearance. With its long wheel base have you had problems with scraping. Am keen on a jazz at it ticks of a lot of boxes for me except for fuel efficiency and ground clearance. I live in a place where there is a 300 metre stretch of hell.
Old 17th November 2010, 09:34   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I agree with you about the running in. I got an opportunity to free up the engine on the express way and I must say that fuel consumption as well as response improved after that.

And Adi, Vetc engine does not growl... it ROARS. Right ? I just love the roar when its revved hard.
Thanks for correcting me, mate The roar is awesome.

Quote:

How is the Ground Clearance. With its long wheel base have you had problems with scraping. Am keen on a jazz at it ticks of a lot of boxes for me except for fuel efficiency and ground clearance. I live in a place where there is a 300 metre stretch of hell.
First of all regarding the FE, do not worry at all. It is fantastic! I am getting more than my Santro which is awesome. Jazz gives the best FE among petrol premium hatchbacks.

Regarding the GC, I think it is adequate - not too good or not too bad.
The wheelbase is large no doubt but I have seen cars like City and Linea scrape some humps which I do not. I have scrapped only once till date and that too it was my fault as I went over the hump pretty fast. The GC issue I would say is managable with little careful driving.
How about a TD near you place? Should clear all doubts. Best of luck!

My 2nd service is getting delayed due to other work but will defeinitely get it done this week!
Old 18th November 2010, 23:50   #210
Senior - BHPian

2nd service update:a mixed bag

I have been tied up with things at office and was not finding time to get the car serviced. I got several calls from the dealer's workshop for service and they offered to provide pick up and drop. So I obliged and noted down the few things that should be checked and also I had to repair the lower grill in the front bumper.
I gave the car for service and it was returned to me by 5 PM in the evening as promised. The car was cleaned properly and the grill was fitted and also the bumper was aligned. The shocker came in the bill when they charged me 250 bucks for the pickup and drop service. I was like - what the hell? nobody informed me about this before hand. What followed is a series of calls ultimately ended up having an argument with the S.M and finally got the charges waived.
The total bill was 1640 bucks which included some 900 for the servicing including the oil change and 700 odd for the replacement and fitting of the lower grill. The damage from the accident is more or less covered now, only the right fog lamp cover is broken a bit which is barely visible from most angles- so, I will live with that for the time being.
Nothing to update about the car. It is running absolutely fine - the engine is as smooth as butter and even the low end response has improved a lot.
The rattling sound has vanished as well once I rearranged stuff in the boot.
City mileage is around 11.5 kmpl for the last 2-3 tankfuls. Very happy that it has settled at something better than my Santro. Will keep a check on the FE for the next couple of tankfuls to see if it improves but chances are less
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks