Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 02:45   #556
BHPian

re: Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Just dont have any apprehensions regarding A.S.S. . We are Here (like the Vodafone ad 'Happy to help') quite a few of us have direct contact with the SAIPL team and after Mr. Sudhir Rao has taken over things have changed quite a lot.

yeti is a fine Vehicle and you shouldnt be having issues for atleast 4 years. In case you come across any niggles just message any one of us and we will escalate it to the SAIPl team who will resolve it for you to your satisfaction. Having had a Skoda for 3 Months now, i find a sea change in the SAIPL / Skoda A.S.S. attitude from the date i had Purchased the yeti and today!
Thanks a lot Sunil! It is indeed heartening to know that if required I can fall back on people here who know the car really well and are ready to help others out. That is why Team-Bhp is such a wonderful place.

And now that you have asked for it, I have a doubt already. Since, the Swing entertainment system does not have bluetooth and USB I asked the dealer to fit the MapMyIndia Zx250 navigator at the time of delivery. The ZX250 has bluetooth as well as SD card support and can also use the AUX port to connect to the Yeti's stock speakers. Additionally, the ZX250 has an AV-in port, which can be used to connect a reverse camera. In fact one can also buy a compatible camera from MapMyIndia. But, the chap with Autobahn who looks after queries related to the entertainment system told me that the camera that comes with the ZX 250 is "incompatible" with the Yeti's electricals and people have had experiences where the camera works for a few days and starts showing garbage on the screen soon after.

I want to ask if this is indeed the case or am I being taken for a ride here? The reason for doubting the chap is that he was pushing me to replace the Swing player with a Caska unit, which has all the required features. But, thanks to reviews on Team-Bhp I knew that the stock player has better sound and so I told him that I don't want to change. Also, the regular guy who has been assigned to oversee my sale backed me and so the matter rested there. What do you suggest? Are there better, similarly priced options for units with SD Card/Bluetooth/Reverse Camera or is ZX250 a decent choice?
Old 31st October 2012, 05:45   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishik View Post
Thanks a lot Sunil! It is indeed heartening to know that if required I can fall back on people here who know the car really well and are ready to help others out. That is why Team-Bhp is such a wonderful place.

I want to ask if this is indeed the case or am I being taken for a ride here? The reason for doubting the chap is that he was pushing me to replace the Swing player with a Caska unit, which has all the required features. But, thanks to reviews on Team-Bhp I knew that the stock player has better sound and so I told him that I don't want to change. Also, the regular guy who has been assigned to oversee my sale backed me and so the matter rested there. What do you suggest? Are there better, similarly priced options for units with SD Card/Bluetooth/Reverse Camera or is ZX250 a decent choice?
Basically, anything that is Non-Skoda is Incompatible, if the same involves Interference with the Mechanical / Electrical Systems, tampering of Wiring, Stripping / splicing / skinning of wiring. Skoda India has been generous enough to clarify this part, through their Representatives as well as confirmed by the parts Manager of my Dealership.

you can go in for the Map my India Unit, Integrate it into the Skoda Swing Player to the Maximum Possible extent. installing a reverse camera will require a power source which powers up the camera when the vehicle is slotted into reverse gear. there is no coupler / connector available which can tap the power from the reverse light. the only way to do it is to splice / skin the wire. Though for ages this practice is followed, to be on the safer side it is not advisable. this is because the VAS 5051 / VCDS that is used by the VAG group Cars would show a Wire grounding / Wire Damaged Error when the ECU is Scanned. Further, the Vehicle Information Display is designed to tell you which bulb has fused and so on. so medddling with the wiring is bound to have some after effects in the long run.

the dealer is pushing you for a Caska since the margin on Caska is a very sweet one. The Prices quoted range from 39-72K depending on Models, when these units are actually available if routed through China for about $500.

What i would suggest is stick to The Skoda Swing Player. It has a decent peformance and the speakers dont cackle at loud volumes either. it shows a reverse Park assist display that should be sufficient. if you want Navigation and Bluetooth, take the Map my India Route and as of now drop the idea of a reverse camera. Dealers may claim that if fitment is done by them even if a wire is stripped or spliced warranty will not get affected; but they will not give it in writing, and if by any chance a warrantly claim arises, they will say that it was installed on the insistence of the customer and do a blame shift (this is not limited to Skoda Dealers, but dealers of all brands)

you can also shufffle through my ownership review, where i have posted about many more mods / fitments.

Last edited by Sunilrj : 31st October 2012 at 05:47.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 09:54   #558
BHPian

Congrats, Hrishik!!! When are you planning to take delivery?? Yup, it is hard not to be enamoured by the Yeti! And despite the not-so-regular looks, wives seem to be taking a HUGE liking for the beast!!
Old 31st October 2012, 12:25   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Basically, anything that is Non-Skoda is Incompatible, if the same involves Interference with the Mechanical / Electrical Systems, tampering of Wiring, Stripping / splicing / skinning of wiring. Skoda India has been generous enough to clarify this part, through their Representatives as well as confirmed by the parts Manager of my Dealership.

you can go in for the Map my India Unit, Integrate it into the Skoda Swing Player to the Maximum Possible extent. installing a reverse camera will require a power source which powers up the camera when the vehicle is slotted into reverse gear. there is no coupler / connector available which can tap the power from the reverse light. the only way to do it is to splice / skin the wire. Though for ages this practice is followed, to be on the safer side it is not advisable. this is because the VAS 5051 / VCDS that is used by the VAG group Cars would show a Wire grounding / Wire Damaged Error when the ECU is Scanned. Further, the Vehicle Information Display is designed to tell you which bulb has fused and so on. so medddling with the wiring is bound to have some after effects in the long run.

the dealer is pushing you for a Caska since the margin on Caska is a very sweet one. The Prices quoted range from 39-72K depending on Models, when these units are actually available if routed through China for about $500.

What i would suggest is stick to The Skoda Swing Player. It has a decent peformance and the speakers dont cackle at loud volumes either. it shows a reverse Park assist display that should be sufficient. if you want Navigation and Bluetooth, take the Map my India Route and as of now drop the idea of a reverse camera. Dealers may claim that if fitment is done by them even if a wire is stripped or spliced warranty will not get affected; but they will not give it in writing, and if by any chance a warrantly claim arises, they will say that it was installed on the insistence of the customer and do a blame shift (this is not limited to Skoda Dealers, but dealers of all brands)

you can also shufffle through my ownership review, where i have posted about many more mods / fitments.

Thanks Sunil for the detailed clarifications. I guess I'll go for the ZX250 then but without the reverse camera.
Old 31st October 2012, 12:35   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels View Post
Congrats, Hrishik!!! When are you planning to take delivery?? Yup, it is hard not to be enamoured by the Yeti! And despite the not-so-regular looks, wives seem to be taking a HUGE liking for the beast!!
Thank you soul-on-4wheels I plan to take delivery sometime in the week of 20th November. Yes indeed, even I was surprised how quickly my wife agreed for the Yeti and that too over a bling queen like the Fluidic Verna. Without doubt the Yeti is one of the most complete cars that one can buy in the 10-20L range.
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:32   #561
BHPian

Been driving a Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance for just under a year now. Had taken delivery on 11-11-11 :-). Been a great experience. Have done a couple of long drives in it. The first, a trial run was from Mumbai to Indore in December last year. The second, in May this year was from Mumbai to Hartola (near Nainital) and back via Udaipur and Delhi. Now plan to drive to Varanasi, Lucknow, Nainital, and back.

Just got the first service done. Overall, experience was average. The service itself was fine. Wanted to get a brush touch up done on those inevitable Mumbai scratches. The service advisor said, better not to do as otherwise paint would drip and spoil the looks. Never heard of something like that before. All other service centers I have been to (and this is the 6th car I have) have never had a problem doing a brush touch up to cover minor scratches. Wonder if this is an issue with the Skoda service or specific to Autobahn Skoda.

Picked up the windscreen washer additive. Not too sure though if I should use it.

Had also asked the service station if they had All-Terrain tyres -- no luck. Any ideas on where I can get a set fitted in Mumbai

Also just saw this review and am posting a link for all of us Yeti-fans

http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/s...able-car_49917
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:47   #562
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
All other service centers I have been to (and this is the 6th car I have) have never had a problem doing a brush touch up to cover minor scratches.
Do not bother to go to the dealer for minor touch up jobs. Go to a reputed painter in the open market and they will do a cheaper and a better job than most dealers.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 17:49   #563
BHPian

Nothing much to update about my Yeti, its nearing 2 yrs mark, have done 26K and 2 service, second service was done after the after the Leh trip. I used the Cyclo Silicon spray on the door bidding as it has worked the noises are gone for now, I order this online from http://carkhana.com/ for Rs 600+ for a pair and happy with it. I believe it will need reapplication after each complete wash.

-Pramod
Old 5th November 2012, 10:05   #564
BHPian

Am YETISTATIC (a term used for a hugely ecstatic state of mind when one gets home the famous snowman!!!!). At about 11am yesterday, the car was delivered to us at my home (I stay about a couple of kms from Senator in Chandivali). Excitement bubbling over, my small family of four went over every nook n corner of the car (we were armed with the TBHP checklist, of course ). The only thing that irked me was that the dash was not polished completely well - will take it to the showroom and get the 3M guys to re-work on it. Else everything was purr-fect! Took her out for her first meal on joining our household - filled her up on the BPCL pump on JVLR. Anything I write about the feel of the car would be stating the obvious. Now it is time to get used to her and her vital parameters. I owe this wonderful group my most heartfelt thanks for the role it played in my being an Yeti owner. I also owe this group a detailed car shortlisting and buying experience account as well an ownership review thread. I promise I will do it in the next 10 days for sure - life has gotten ery hectic over the past 3 weeks. Might also chip in with a Mumbai-Bangalore-Mumbai travelogue in a fortnight's time (Yup! planning the trip this saturday ).

And any Yeti T-BHPian staying the Chandivili, Powai area? Would love to connect with you personally!

Cheers!!
Siju
Old 6th November 2012, 22:52   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels
Am YETISTATIC (a term used for a hugely ecstatic state of mind when one gets home the famous snowman!!!!). At about 11am yesterday, the car was delivered to us at my home (I stay about a couple of kms from Senator in Chandivali). Excitement bubbling over, my small family of four went over every nook n corner of the car (we were armed with the TBHP checklist, of course ).

Cheers!!
Siju
Hi, congratulations on the new acquisition. I am sure you will enjoy the car just as much as all of us Yetiites do our Yetis. Just be a little careful on your trip to Bangalore. It's very tempting to let her rip. and unless you keep an eye on the speedo, extremely high speeds can result. Cheers
satrab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 07:13   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrab View Post
Hi, congratulations on the new acquisition. I am sure you will enjoy the car just as much as all of us Yetiites do our Yetis. Just be a little careful on your trip to Bangalore. It's very tempting to let her rip. and unless you keep an eye on the speedo, extremely high speeds can result. Cheers
Thanks, satrab - yup, I will be careful during my Bangalore drive! My wife is the best speed governor around! :-) I hope to have a leisurely, enjoyable trip. Keep you posted.

Cheers!
Old 7th November 2012, 21:56   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels

Thanks, satrab - yup, I will be careful during my Bangalore drive! My wife is the best speed governor around! :-) I hope to have a leisurely, enjoyable trip. Keep you posted.

Cheers!
Do post an update on your trip. Would be great to know the details. Plan to do a trip to Ooty via Bangalore soon. This Diwali, it's a drive to north and central India that I'm doing.
Old 20th November 2012, 16:22   #568
BHPian

UPDATE
----------

Inspected my Yeti at Autobahn's Mankoli-Bhiwandi yard last week. The vehicle was washed and kept ready for inspection before I reached the yard. Checked the body and undercarriage for signs of abuse or damage but everything seemed to be fine. Interiors were spotless and even the engine bay had undergone a pressure-wash. Attaching a few pictures for your viewing pleasure
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-photo0558.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-photo0561.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-photo0556.jpg  

Skoda Yeti@ India (An ownership review) EDIT: Now sold!-photo0563.jpg  

Old 20th November 2012, 18:27   #569
BHPian

Looks Mato brown like mine. Did the exact same thing 4 months back. Welcome to family hrishik. Are you in western suburbs? There are not many Yeti running around here. So hoping for local addition.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:57   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Looks Mato brown like mine. Did the exact same thing 4 months back. Welcome to family hrishik. Are you in western suburbs? There are not many Yeti running around here. So hoping for local addition.
Thanks samyboy. The color is Cappuccino Beige. I stay in the Dadar-Prabhadevi area. Not too many Yeti around here either, but I have seen a few on the WE Highway recently including a Mato Brown - perhaps it was your baby

The Yeti has gone for registration to Tardeo RTO, so hopefully I should get it by this weekend or early next week.

On a different note, can someone please help me out with this issue - My old car, which I "sold" to the dealer had an NCB on its insurance. The dealer has still not further sold the car to a buyer so, technically, I am still the owner. The insurance guy from Autobahn told me that if the old car is not sold before the Yeti's insurance documents are prepared then the old NCB cannot be transferred this year but can be transferred only when the insurance is renewed next year (provided of course that the old car is sold by then). Should I go with this or is there a way to get the NCB transferred right now? Is there a due process that I need to follow now so that I am spared any hassles later? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks