Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 14:09   #316
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
After switching from the noisy stock JK Elanzos to super-silent Michelin Lattitude Tour HP at 30000kms, switched to Goodyear Wrangler AT at 70500kms.
Happy with your AT? My stock Bridgestone dueller's are at 42K, and are getting puncture prone, esp on highway trips with family. Planning to switch to AT (even though the Bridgestones have decent life left in them) before a drive to North East that should hopefully materialize in the next few months. Vik has the same AT tires and he is happy with them, however, am keen to collect additional feedback.
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 14:54   #317
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Happy with your AT? My stock Bridgestone dueller's are at 42K, and are getting puncture prone, esp on highway trips with family. Planning to switch to AT (even though the Bridgestones have decent life left in them) before a drive to North East that should hopefully materialize in the next few months. Vik has the same AT tires and he is happy with them, however, am keen to collect additional feedback.
Ajay, I posted some early observations here
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 06:59   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris_t View Post
Hi Vikram,
I checked out the tech specs for both Goodyear A/T and Pirelli XL S-ATR (Scorpion). The one aspect that stood out and is a bit puzzling is that while the Goodyears weigh in at 14 Kg, the Pirelli weighs only 8 Kg.

Why is there such a difference? Or is this an error? Does using a lighter tyre affect its life?

Regards
Hi kris_t

I believe Goodyear tyres have extremely strong side walls, I believe the have a kevlar coat as well (dont know what that means) Global reviews say theu are extremely stable and strong tyres. Senior please comment but I believe such a big difference in weight could affect mileage ?
Old 1st November 2018, 08:04   #319
BHPian

After 70K of driving on Bridgestone (mainly highways). finally got new shoes for my boy.
bought 4 new Yokohama Geolander's from Amazon for around Rs.39500 (Rs.9868 x 4) got a good discount during the recent sale.
planning to do a highway run this weekend, will let you know the new shoes behaviour after that.
SAMUDRA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 14:48   #320
BHPian

Hello,
My XUV (W8) just completed 6 years and has run for only 33.5k kms. It still has factory tyres, Bridgestone dueler 684 II 104H. but its time to change as cracks are visible and have been adviced to change by the SA also. Is it advisable to upgrade to a bigger size than the current, 235/65 R17, without changing the alloys and not having any alignment issues? And what would be the good options for tyres for good ride comfort, durability and no road noise. Or should I buy the same bridgestone duelers again? I plan to use the car for another 3-4 years atleast then. Would appreciate some quick advice as I have planned a Mumbai to Nasik trip for a week this weekend.. and have given the car for annual service today

P.S. - My spare wheel has not been used ever. I guess that can be used as it is and does not need any change.

Last edited by SDP : 1st November 2018 at 16:22. Reason: Typo
Old 1st November 2018, 15:12   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV comes with proper sizes tires, upgrade size wise is not necessary . Duelers are excellent tires for what you pay for and it's factory tuned , a new set will make the car feel new as well, alternately you can go for Michelin Primacy, expensive but very good.

Will a larger tire fit in the spare wheel well is something other owners can confirm if they have tried, many vehicles won't have space for an upsized tire in the spare wheel slot (you do have to carry the punctured tire around sometimes)

If you are looking for a more pronounced stance, I recommend changing the alloy wheels as well to something like NeoWheels Transformer series, perfect fit for XUV.

There are plenty of other brand tyres, but not real upgrade in comparison to dueler.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SDP : 1st November 2018 at 16:21. Reason: Typo
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 18:04   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
After switching from the noisy stock JK Elanzos to super-silent Michelin Lattitude Tour HP at 30000kms, switched to Goodyear Wrangler AT at 70500kms.
What deal did you get for the Wrangler AT and from where? Are the AT tyres more noisy compared to the normal road tyres? Does the ride quality get affected at all with AT tyres? Also I found there is a AT/SA and a AT/S as well. What is the difference? Online there’s a good deal on AT/SA but who would do the fitting, WA and WB then is the issue. Plus I need it before Soon as planning to drive to Nashik-Deolali in couple of days. The tyres will delay the trip now as can’t buy them on dhanteras (monday)
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:49   #323
BHPian

Ok so inquired with Pal tyres today over the phone and he told me that Goodyear Efficient grip costs Rs. 9,800, Goodyear wrangler AT costs Rs. 10,000 and Michellin Primacy about Rs. 12,000. He said the efficient grip are sold regularly by him and will be in stock whereas ATs will have to be ordered but can get within couple of hours or so. Primacy will be readily available too. Michellin Latitude etc. are ordered as per demand as not regular moving. Now I’m confused. Some help please?

I need tyres which can do mild/some off-roading, offers good ride quality and are less noisy.

Even the service centre guys had only the Goodyear ATs and recommended it. But I think the ATs are more for off roading hence will compromise on ride quality a bit. Also have read about Yokohama Geolander GO15. Bridgestone duellers are apparently most expensive (on amazon) so not considering it and also might want to try something else now. Guys seriously some quick help please

P.S. what does the last three digits and a letter in a tyre specification mean? Like 108H or 104H etc. ?

Last edited by magikrider : 3rd November 2018 at 00:06.
Old 3rd November 2018, 07:52   #324
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post

I need tyres which can do mild/some off-roading, offers good ride quality and are less noisy.
ATs are obviously tougher than the HT tyres and can withstand broken-road abuse better. A little bit of compromise in terms of ride quality and tyre-noise is a given.

My Michelin Latitudes were noticeably silent as compared to the Wrangler AT I am currently using. I have no complaints about the AT though as the grip is fantastic and I would be most likely headed to Ladakh/Spiti next season.

For your kind of usage and your preferences (good ride quality and less tyre-noise), I would recommend the Michelins .. either Latitude Tour HP (proper highway tyres) or the Primacy (designed for SUV tyres .. so supposedly tougher). Please note that being softer, the ride quality would be comfy, but the tyres would wear out faster. I got barely 40000kms from the Latitudes I was using. So at least Latitudes are not recommended for people with high annual running - 25000kms and above. You will end up changing tyres every other year. Since your running is pretty low, Latitudes should not be a problem for you.

PS: When I say Michelin Latitudes are silent, please note that they are silent till about 100kms per hour. Beyond that, you will notice the tyre noise.

Quote:
P.S. what does the last three digits and a letter in a tyre specification mean? Like 108H or 104H etc. ?
The number is load rating. The alphabet is speed rating. Please google for complete details.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 07:23   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
After 70K of driving on Bridgestone (mainly highways). finally got new shoes for my boy.
bought 4 new Yokohama Geolander's from Amazon for around Rs.39500 (Rs.9868 x 4) got a good discount during the recent sale.
planning to do a highway run this weekend, will let you know the new shoes behaviour after that.
update: Drove around 380 Kms yesterday with the new Geo's.
Started with a sedate drive and took my boy till 90 Kmph for the first 60Kms. the road noise was muted compared to the old Bridgestones. on broken roads the tyre did not make much thud noise and the ride was smooth. after an hours drive during routine break, checked all the 4 tyres and noted that the tyre pressure was under 34psi.
during the second leg of the journey took my boy till 120 once in a while. my boy was cruising n crunching miles and without much fuss and reached the destination (130 Km in 2 hrs)

on the way back to Bangalore, did 90-120 regularly and it was a breeze. there was some rain so stuck to 80 Km speed during that stretch, but did not want to test the wet grip of the Geo's

All in all, I loved the new set of Geo's for the smooth ride. will keep you all posted on its performance in the upcoming days
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181104_134903863.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181104_134844622_burst000_cover.jpg  

SAMUDRA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 00:15   #326
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have done about 75K KMs in my 2013 model XUV and still running with the stock Bridgestone Duellers, which are still going strong but feel little nervous in high speeds and wet conditions now. Also had the side wall cracked for one of the tyres. So I'm Planning on giving my boy a new set of shoes finally.

After reading through several threads on the same topic, I'm now really confused to choose between Highway ones or AT tyres. Considering most of my driving will be on the Highways (100-120 KMPH) and also you know the conditions of out State Highways which is very bumpy and full of pot holes and craters.

Can somebody throw some light on the Noise, High speed handling, braking and wet weather perfomance of Highway vs AT tyres.

Some of the ones I'm loking at are -

Michelin Latitude Tour HP
Michelin Primacy SUV
Yokohama Geolander SUV
Yokohama Geolander G015 AT
Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA
Goodyear Wrangler HP/AW

Please suggest out of the various experiences you had. Quick help and suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 10th November 2018, 11:43   #327
Senior - BHPian

An update I'm more inclined towards Michelin, and especially want to consider LTX Force. But I noticed that it comes in size 265/65/17 and not XUV size 235/65/17. Michelin Primacy SUV does have the 235/65/17 though.

Since i'm more inclined towards LTX force, My query is is it ok to put these wider tyres on the XUV and does that affect the dynamics and performance in anyway.
Old 10th November 2018, 13:11   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post

Since i'm more inclined towards LTX force.
Your usage does not demand an AT though given the nature of XUV, an AT won't go waste, IMO.

You may go for Michelins, I have used the Latitude Tour HP's in a Yeti and they performed well.

As far as going for a wider tire goes, I have no idea as to how much on an alternation can the XUV tolerate. Though if you plan to go for an AT in stock size, Geolander is the best option given your usage.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 18:09   #329
Senior - BHPian

After long research, various suggestions and my usage in mind, I chose to go with the Michelin Primacy SUV tyres for my XUV as my usage is primarily for highway runs. Also I felt the AT tyres may not offer the low noise level, grip, and braking performance that i require.

I have only driven about 100KM or so with the new set of tyres in city mainly and a run on the burst of Highway.

Instantly i felt that the ride has become slightly smoother, and I can feel the steering better than before and grip levels are very good and get more confidence in the corners.

I'll keep you posted with my experience further with the tyres after covering significant distance. Posting a few pics of my beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181111_12353101.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181111_123556011.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20181111_12360501.jpeg  

sridhar24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 18:56   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Instantly i felt that the ride has become slightly smoother, and I can feel the steering better than before and grip levels are very good and get more confidence in the corners.
Can you please share the total cost and where you got them from? I am looking for same in Bangalore.

Meanwhile a general question to all - BS Duelers go sometimes upto 1 lac+ km as per this thread and on the other hand a Michelin goes 40 to 70k kms. By normal calculation does it simply mean that Michelin being a soft compound tyre offers MUCH MUCH more grip than BS Duelers? I own the plush new xuv hardly 2 months old, but don't have much confidence at high speeds especially while braking and cornering with the BS Duelers.

A SWAP OFFER IN HAND - My friend (read as best friend ) in Noida needs to change his worn out tyres but doesnt want to invest much since he is planning to sell it off in 6 months to 1 yr. So we thought of a super swap where I take the new Michelin's in Blr and courier my BS Duelers to him to Noida! My net investment after swap is around 17-20k, so just wondering whether I should just let go my almost new BS Duelers since I have hardly done 5k kms so far.

Please advice.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 12th November 2018 at 18:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks