Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 23:49   #1051
BHPian

Hi ,

The photographs attached could have gone to the Standard thread or to the Rest in Peace as the owners still want to retain the cars even though they do not have the resources to even remove the garbage from the vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-resize-oct29863.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-resize-oct29852.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-resize-oct29846.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-resize-oct29825.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-resize-oct29821.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-resize-oct29820.jpg  

Old 15th March 2008, 00:21   #1052
Distinguished - BHPian

Really sad pics. vintageman!

Incidentally you could contribute the standard (is that a flying 8?) pics. to the standard motor club site as they have a similar "rust in peace" section.
Old 15th March 2008, 01:19   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This rather sad looking VW Type 3 Fastback has apparently been lying around Bandra for quite a while.
WOW that is a beaut!!! is the owner planning to sell her? please more info
Old 15th March 2008, 01:30   #1054
Senior - BHPian

looks like the owners became bankrupt overnight

is the stationwagon chevy kingswood?
Old 15th March 2008, 03:33   #1055
BHPian

I think vintagemans last wonderful photos including the semi submerged Standard (or whatever it is) should warrant a new thread of photos of sad cars beyond economical or practical salvage. I think this would also be a contribution (I think its a Willys? It was in Jaipur in 1986), both conjure great feelings of the ravages of time and climate.
The way it is on 3 wheels and resting on bricks to protect it from annual flooding? is superbly ironical
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-scan0049.jpg
Old 15th March 2008, 03:55   #1056
BHPian

About 1989 I was rebushing the gearbox/prop shaft coupling of a RR Silver Ghost in Delhi and the owner's garage door's shutters were all broken, he said there was no security problem with leaving everything open, nothing is ever stolen (I would lock all my tools up regardless) within a few days the 10inch diameter bronze casing of the spherical coupling (the whole rear axle/prop shaft casing pivots on this) went missing along with the radiator of another even rarer car also under restoration there. The imported coupling casing and its steel ball cost about a Lakh to replace and that was then !!! Rag pickers at 4 in the morning... Its no safer here in the UK, lock up your valuable parts, when these cars are apart they are oh so vulnerable to loss.
When employees mess something up I used to say to them (I do speak and read/write Hindi ) This car has been fine for 90 years and now in a few minutes its got seriously damaged!!!
Sometimes cars are better off unrestored.
Old 15th March 2008, 07:57   #1057
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
looks like the owners became bankrupt overnight
is the stationwagon chevy kingswood?
TNW 9999 is a plain vanilla 1973 Chevelle.

1973 was the year that 5-mph crash bumpers were introduced. Most people viewed them as ugly. In 1973, the base model was called Chevelle Deluxe, mid-range Chevelle Malibu and the top-line Chevelle Laguna. 1973 also marked the start of the energy crisis and large cars with big gas guzzling engines sold very poorly.

You could buy a running 1973 Chevelle in 1987 for $400.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...e-oct29821.jpg
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...e-oct29820.jpg
Old 15th March 2008, 08:37   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
About 1989 I was rebushing the gearbox/prop shaft coupling of a RR Silver Ghost in Delhi and the owner's garage door's shutters were all broken, he said there was no security problem with leaving everything open, nothing is ever stolen (I would lock all my tools up regardless) within a few days the 10inch diameter bronze casing of the spherical coupling (the whole rear axle/prop shaft casing pivots on this) went missing along with the radiator of another even rarer car also under restoration there. The imported coupling casing and its steel ball cost about a Lakh to replace and that was then !!! Rag pickers at 4 in the morning... Its no safer here in the UK, lock up your valuable parts, when these cars are apart they are oh so vulnerable to loss.
When employees mess something up I used to say to them (I do speak and read/write Hindi ) This car has been fine for 90 years and now in a few minutes its got seriously damaged!!!
i saw this overland in jaipur till the early nineties, the owner had a small godown nearby packed with cars, there were a mid twenties chevrolet saloon, an early twenties fiat tourer, a 1926/7 chevrolet tourer a couple of small austins and a couple of "dukkar" fiats. i think he owned an upholstery shop somewhere close,i wanted the chev saloon, but he wouldnt sell. i would still like an early twenties american saloon, their angular lines are quite charming, something like the blue/black 1919 Overland in delhi. is that the blue ghost you are talking about? its still standing at the same spot being used for storage, waiting for your return
Old 15th March 2008, 10:19   #1059
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many a great automobile in India have been either spoilt or damaged/ravaged to a point where they went to the breakers for just this reason of owners opening them up and never completing the restoration. The 38 Packard I picked up suffered such a fate.
Old 15th March 2008, 10:29   #1060
Senior - BHPian

There was a 1919 willys overland for sale in auto india in 1998. Any new on what happened to it? I think it was black and red/brown.
Old 15th March 2008, 15:17   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The 38 Packard I picked up suffered such a fate.
Have you managed to salvage it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
is that the blue ghost you are talking about? its still standing at the same spot being used for storage, waiting for your return
The 1920 Blue Ghost Hooper torpedo is a lovely car. I'm glad it is still coming in handy for storing things in, if it had been a limo one could have stored even more things in it. Its custodian is a wonderful person. I did fit new valves/reamed guides, prop shaft couplings, rear axle leaf spring rollers, new king pins and bushes and sorted the linkages and carburettor out so it stopped doing 1 km per litre. Lovely body and screen but I never liked the colour or the way it was restored.... It needed a new exhaust and the petrol tank was rotten, by then I just didn't have time and the tank and exhaust were going to be "arranged". These cars really should be kept in doors. Especially when they are opened up. The dust in Delhi was a real problem.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:23   #1062
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you managed to salvage it?
Yes I'm happy to report this car was saved. Zorpia: Deepak's Homepage documents the work done so far on the car. I still need to complete the painting and upholstery. It may be of interest to you that all the mechanical work was done by me with no help, what a pleasure it was to fire up the big eight and drive the chassis on the road!!
Old 17th March 2008, 10:17   #1063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Yes I'm happy to report this car was saved. Zorpia: Deepak's Homepage documents the work done so far on the car. I still need to complete the painting and upholstery. It may be of interest to you that all the mechanical work was done by me with no help, what a pleasure it was to fire up the big eight and drive the chassis on the road!!
I remember first seeing your album through xoticars' homepage on zorpia.
I then thought this was your Green (RJ) packard, until I read about the car you saved!
Old 17th March 2008, 10:36   #1064
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I remember first seeing your album through xoticars' homepage on zorpia.
I then thought this was your Green (RJ) packard, until I read about the car you saved!
Shyam, Ajit (xoticars) too has had an amazing journey and hopefully I'll get him to actively participate here. I've also requested Manvendra Singh to check out TBHP so hopefully we'll have some very learned and experienced gentlemen adding value here. Julian has been a real treasure here and I think our vintage section is slowly becoming a great archive.

Last edited by DKG : 17th March 2008 at 10:39.
Old 17th March 2008, 20:26   #1065

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Spotted this ageing Austin in Thane. She has been standing on jacks since 76, and its remarkable how well the body has preserved, inspite of going through the floods. To be restored soon.

Note the Ambassador headlight ring.
This is a nice car and quite a good condition. I am rookie in this hobby of restoration, what would be a appropriate price for cars in similar condition for a Morris 8?

Good luck with the restoration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks