Old 26th September 2009, 18:50   #1711
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Indrojit, Gogi was inquiring about the approximate price of the W108 actually
Old 26th September 2009, 21:28   #1712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Something tells me I might not even be able to afford it.
Well shuffling your portfolio may do miracles. OOPs I am sounding like a broker now. I am an enthusiast. I am an enthusiast!!.
Old 26th September 2009, 23:34   #1713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Indrojit, Gogi was inquiring about the approximate price of the W108 actually
My sentiments exactly. Thats what I would do if I colud lay my hands on a beauty like this. Quality over quantity anyday
Old 26th September 2009, 23:58   #1714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well if it is a 300SL gullwing then the price according to the international market would be more than Rs 2 .5crores.This car has a fuel injection system,3.0l engine,straight 6.Once the car was made they realised that the car was too low for the eninge so they put the engine at a 45 degree tilt.This car is worth a fortune if it is actually a 300sl gullwing.Gogiji please could you enquire the reason for sale and the condition of the car.Would be interested in knowing about the car doing something about it as well.This is how it would look if it is a 300 SL gullwing.Please also find out the year.

A few Gullwings are up for sale here,

Mercedes 300SL GULLWING for Sale on Car and Classic UK

1 near me for half a million sterling..... man thats Expy
Old 27th September 2009, 05:20   #1715
Senior - BHPian

Guys hold your horses. As V12 and Wasif have pointed out, its not the 300SL obviously. Its a car like posted by wasif.

The reason for sale is given to me as; owner passed away, legal battle ensued between children regards property, now settled, so legal heir selling it.

Condition not known till i recieve pics, have been told that the car needs restoration but was mint when it was garaged.

Considering its in the north east somewhere, at least thats what was told to me, i have'nt the faintest clue what kind of deterioration to expect.

I agree if i think the price is right, i would have to shuffle my portfolio largely but that depends whether the car exists in the first place. Ive been told there is also a MGTC in the collection which was finalysed and sold to someone from the south. That car i hear has been purchased for export. I hope the govt does something about these kind of precious things being taken away.

So what is the price one should expect?

Lol@ the mole.

Harit, guys, have you heard of such a car existing in -ndia? I must admit i have not so i am noy believing anything till i see it for myself. Too many supposed cars have been already rumoured to exist, the gullwing being one of them. So far the perpetrators and the persons who have claimed to have seen it have not come up with a single scrap tp prove its existance so far.
Old 27th September 2009, 10:16   #1716
Senior - BHPian

Hi There

For such a car it wold be quiet hard to guestimate a price. would largely depend on what the owners think it is worth and are willing to part with it for.

Secondly it would come down to its present condition / pending tax payments etc.

All said it would be a great addition to anyone's collection

Here is a link to the Mercedes Benz W108 Forum that can be of much use to you.

Mercedes-Benz W108: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article The official Mercedes W108 website is

Last edited by wasif : 27th September 2009 at 10:17.
Old 27th September 2009, 10:50   #1717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That car i hear has been purchased for export. I hope the govt does something about these kind of precious things being taken away.

V16 i think its unlikely that a W107 or W108 is likely to be exported out of India. They are available by the plentiful in the US and other countries, pre recession prices were about 35,000 dollars for a fully restored car.

Thats roughly about 20l rupees, considering this is India. And given the rarity of the car here, and if the owner knows its value you wont get it for a lot cheaper than what is being offered abroad. I seriously think Government should relax the import/export norms on atleast the classics. anyways there's not much that can go out from here in that category.
Old 27th September 2009, 11:13   #1718
Senior - BHPian

Amol i think gogi was talking about the MG being exported, not the merc.
Old 27th September 2009, 11:43   #1719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Amol i think gogi was talking about the MG being exported, not the merc.
Even the MG, unless a rare one. and going cheap. There are plenty of MG's available in the UK starting at 8000 pounds for an original unrestored one. Today the Indian market has considerably gone up in value and there are no deals here compared to the international market.

Even Lambretta LD's today people ask for a 1.2l for unrestored machines in India, at the same time in the US superbly restored ones are available for $3500 now who would export junk form here at that price. The same is true with cars VW vans were being exported when they were cheap here, now when people ask 8 and 9l rupees for van, I doubt there would be many takers.

Basically India has very few extremely cars in the post independence era. There is no harm in opening import/ export in this category atleast the supply and demand will level out prices.
Old 27th September 2009, 13:02   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If so, what should be the price? Given it might be the only of its kind in India. Also dont know whether its a W108 or a W109 convertible i.e. a 280 or a 300. Im exited. If anyone knows about such a car please let us know. Something tells me I might not even be able to afford it.

I have heard of it but not seen it. I was told it looks like VJM's white mercedes that comes for the Rally's. The picture posted by Wasif is similar to the car.

Last edited by speedy : 27th September 2009 at 13:05.
Old 27th September 2009, 13:24   #1721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys hold your horses. As V12 and Wasif have pointed out, its not the 300SL obviously. Its a car like posted by wasif.

The reason for sale is given to me as; owner passed away, legal battle ensued between children regards property, now settled, so legal heir selling it.

Condition not known till i recieve pics, have been told that the car needs restoration but was mint when it was garaged.

Considering its in the north east somewhere, at least thats what was told to me, i have'nt the faintest clue what kind of deterioration to expect.

I agree if i think the price is right, i would have to shuffle my portfolio largely but that depends whether the car exists in the first place. Ive been told there is also a MGTC in the collection which was finalysed and sold to someone from the south. That car i hear has been purchased for export. I hope the govt does something about these kind of precious things being taken away.

I would say first lets see the pics of the car depending on the condition and the value we could decide on how much it is worth paying for it.Could find out about the MG TC as well ?I'm looking for one un restored.
Old 27th September 2009, 14:21   #1722
BHPian

You can pick up a decent MG for about £2k

Check out the carandclassic website if any one want to purchase 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Mr. Suren, I must say this thread was one you'd created aptly!
'was wondering where to post this news....!

Here's a 1957 (going by the rim/s) Fiat 1100 elegant aka 'centrelight fiat' just brought in to a local scrapyard near Suraj talkies (Yakutpura) here in hyd. today.....my mech. saw it being towed on the way & notified me, rightly guessing where it was being taken...so sure enough we found it at this place in queue with the cars (mostly fiats!) that are to be scrapped.....I recently rescued my delight from here too btw!

However, we were told that this car is up for sale if anyone's interested, failing which the guy who bought it would ultimately have it scrapped!
He's told us that he'll meet us tomorrow & we could then check out the car in more detail (it was locked so could only check it out from outside) & talk about the price....
Now although I did make the first call to Suren who's the only classic enthusiast in HYd. I know looking for a classic, I'm making this public just in case, as I'd be sorry to see this car scrapped!
(Sorry for the delay in uploading the images Mr. Suren but having trouble with my net! Trying to post all pics. I took of the car too...)

Although do be warned, it wouldnt come dirt cheap, maybe just reasonable (between 20-25k), based on my recent personal experience...what's happening here nowadays is that these scrapguys dont mind picking up good fiats for even 17-18k, as they are able to make a good profit selling the parts viz. engine/gearbox/diff. to Bombay where I'm told they are much in demand....so a car in this condition would've been bought pretty much in that price range.
And from what I can see, its quite decent & basically needing a rolling restoration needing mainly many of the original cosmetic bits...but firstly need a new battery, which is why they'd towed it in.....

Incidentally, if saved in time, this car would also be welcome for the DECHAA vintage/classic rally here on 15th aug.!

Was this car saved or left for the scrappys to take charge of ?

Last edited by v12 : 27th September 2009 at 14:37.
Old 27th September 2009, 14:31   #1723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allana13 View Post
Was this car saved or left for the scrappys to take charge of ?

I guess this should answer your question.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...lp-needed.html
Old 29th September 2009, 16:22   #1724
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, Mallya's is probably the only convertible car of this kind. There are 2 similar cars with a mine owner in Goa.
A car in north-east is most likely to be a myth. The 300 Gullwing was also supposed to be there. Next holidays we all will go to the north east.

Cheers harit
Old 29th September 2009, 16:57   #1725
Senior - BHPian

Harit have you seen the mine owners cars?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks