Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2015, 12:56   #21706
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 582
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
My Wife's Moto E 1st Generation is getting pop-up message Lollipop 5.1.1 update available.

I have asked her not to download the update, don't want to ruin her smooth experience with Kitkat 4.4.4
If you follow the proper procedure, you won't face any issues:

1. Format before starting the update.
2. Update the phone and again perform a full format. Also format the memory card and don't use any app data from old version.
3. Format the cache partition using boot menu.

Only thing is ART in Lollipop requires lot of storage space in internal memory which is very limited in the Moto E. That is not an issue if you don't use lot of apps or games.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 12th August 2015 at 12:57.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 13:36   #21707
BHPian
 
driving_smartly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 476
Thanked: 211 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Android 5.1 is pretty stable and smooth, so I will risk!
Thanks sgiitk

My mothers Spice Android One is on 5.1.1 (from day one) & My fathers Moto G2 on lollipop as well don't know the exact version are running perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If you follow the proper procedure, you won't face any issues:

1. Format before starting the update.
2. Update the phone and again perform a full format. Also format the memory card and don't use any app data from old version.
3. Format the cache partition using boot menu.

Only thing is ART in Lollipop requires lot of storage space in internal memory which is very limited in the Moto E. That is not an issue if you don't use lot of apps or games.
Thanks tbppjpr

At present with only 5-6 apps installed with major storage holder being FB App, FB Messenger app & what's app, although i keep cleaning data and cache every now & then even with 300-350 mbs free space, low memory message starts in notification bar.

I have read couple of actual user reviews online with 5.1.1 update on Moto E and low storage was a major concern with them too.

Had it been my phone i would have straight away updated. The phone in this case belongs to my home minister and i cannot risk my peaceful life , hence the concern of upgrading.

If possible i shall upgrade her Moto E to Moto G3 (16GB & 2GB ram) in couple of months.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 13:52   #21708
BHPian
 
Geo_Ipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vellore
Posts: 386
Thanked: 318 Times
Default

Have they rolled out the 5.1.1 Update for the Moto G2?

I'm still running stock 4.4.4, and keep getting the 5.0 update daily 3-4 times. I'd been holding off for a while now, though there's this itch to upgrade. Also, would I get a 5.1.1 update if I haven't updated to 5.0??
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 13:57   #21709
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 582
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I'm still running stock 4.4.4, and keep getting the 5.0 update daily 3-4 times. I'd been holding off for a while now, though there's this itch to upgrade. Also, would I get a 5.1.1 update if I haven't updated to 5.0??
5.0.x is problematic on Moto G, X. Keep holding till they release 5.1.x.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 16:16   #21710
Senior - BHPian
 
vinit.merchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,110
Thanked: 893 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just ordered the Redmi 2 Prime from Amazon.
Prized at 6999, I also got a 15% cb (will be credited by Nov) bringing the effective price to 5950.
For this amount, I got
2 gigs of ram,
16 gig of internal memory,
1.2 Snapdragon 410 chipset (64 bit),
Adreno 306,
8mp primary & 2mp secondary camera,
2200 mah battery
a 4.7 inch, Full HD screen
Last but not the least - Made in INDIA

All in all, I found this a good deal, provided the Redmi lasts.
Comparing it to my current Huawei Honor Holly, the holly offers much lesser at a much higher price.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 12th August 2015 at 16:17.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2015, 23:33   #21711
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,307 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
My Wife's Moto E 1st Generation is getting pop-up message Lollipop 5.1.1 update available.

I have asked her not to download the update, don't want to ruin her smooth experience with Kitkat 4.4.4
Nooooo. The first rule of fight club is that you do NOT mess around with the wife's phone!!!

Jokes aside - Kitkat is lovely as is. Why ruin something beautiful that works nicely. Peace of mind >>>>> "latest".

Kitkat powers 39% of android mobiles, with another 50% being at lower versions. relax. you wont be FORCED to upgrade - most apps will happily be optimized for kitkat in the next year or so. Chill. I think your plan is solid. use MotoE till she's bored and then get the G3 (or the Redmi2 prime!).

My wife rues the moment she agreed to upgrade her OPO to Lollipop and her iPad2 to iOS8. My S3/Desire 820s run Kitkat only, very happily.

b. Get her a cache cleaner software. My experience on the Chacha improved dramatically with this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cachepro&hl=en else i had to clean the cache every single day.

btw, my colleague used his MotoE on kitkat happily without such errors - it ran everything nicely, from FB to whatsapp to uber and what not. You shouldnt ideally get such errors regularly. Have you checked with other MotoE owners around you?

Last edited by phamilyman : 12th August 2015 at 23:35.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 00:44   #21712
BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 586
Thanked: 1,171 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
My Wife's Moto E 1st Generation is getting pop-up message Lollipop 5.1.1 update available.
My mom has same phone, tried upgrading but it's stuck downloading at around 40% with eta 98mins. Though memory might be less, but it's sufficient.

Cancelled and restarted and now its showing 168mins just to download. Hope it downloads overnight.

Also I'm also worried about space since L update will bring Sheets, Slides and Docs apps - each almost 100MB. Got to know about this when I updated my moto x first gen. to L.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 12:02   #21713
BHPian
 
driving_smartly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 476
Thanked: 211 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nooooo. The first rule of fight club is that you do NOT mess around with the wife's phone!!!
Jokes aside - Kitkat is lovely as is. Why ruin something beautiful that works nicely. Peace of mind >>>>> "latest".
Last year my wife shifted from her two years old lagging Galaxy Ace to Moto E, She is so happy with the performance that she recommend's Moto to friends / family members. We even got Moto G 2 for my Father as well as my sister in law. Today morning the major issue i found out with what's App was "more than 5000 unwanted photos" in gallery which is eating up the space, deleted more than 1000 pics and remaining still to be deleted her moto E has more than 550 Mbs free space , i am sure after deleting all those unwanted photo's the low space issue would be sorted out.

Her only grouse is clicking snaps of our 3 & half years old daughter, the camera in Moto E is pathetic, although i have got a good Sony P&S camera, she does not like to carry it every time. I my self have Iphone 5C & Lumia 640, the later clicks decent pictures in day light compared to Iphone 5C

Sample Image :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3747218 (The Official non-auto Image thread) The actual image is much sharper without resize

I bought Moto E from flipkart sale last year for Rs 5.4K, so if i get a good deal for Moto G3 in next 2-3 months i will happily go for it.

I used this app in Galaxy ace, shall try by this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
My mom has same phone, tried upgrading but it's stuck downloading at around 40% with eta 98mins. Though memory might be less, but it's sufficient.
Cancelled and restarted and now its showing 168mins just to download. Hope it downloads overnight.
Did your firmware update sail through smoothly ? Please let us know how is the performance of Moto E with Android Lollipop 5.1.1.

Although i don't intend to upgrade, the information will be handy for all the readers.

Last edited by ampere : 20th August 2015 at 07:54. Reason: Reduced length of quoted post
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 13:34   #21714
BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 586
Thanked: 1,171 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Did your firmware update sail through smoothly ? Please let us know how is the performance of Moto E with Android Lollipop 5.1.1.

Although i don't intend to upgrade, the information will be handy for all the readers.
Still not downloaded. I've given up! I'm unable to get what the problem is. Will try tonight and see.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 23:17   #21715
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 582
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Still not downloaded. I've given up! I'm unable to get what the problem is. Will try tonight and see.
Have you formatted the phone? Also you need to first update some of Motorola and Google apps/services which are required to start the update once you format the phone.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 01:03   #21716
Senior - BHPian
 
karankapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in the car!!!
Posts: 1,679
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Have you formatted the phone? Also you need to first update some of Motorola and Google apps/services which are required to start the update once you format the phone.
But why you need to format the phone for the OTA update ?

Read in one of your earlier post you had asked to format the phone before and after the update can you please shed some light on this.
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 08:00   #21717
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 582
Thanked: 459 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
But why you need to format the phone for the OTA update ?

Read in one of your earlier post you had asked to format the phone before and after the update can you please shed some light on this.
Would you want that old files from the previous OS version or apps interfere with the new system and contribute in performance degradation and impact the efficiency? This risk is always involved when you perform upgrade on existing system, be it any kind of OS, Android, Windows or iOS.

OTA is just a convenience that you don't have to go through the more lengthy and risky process of downloading and flashing the OS image manually.

In this case Lollipop is competently revamped OS, not just an incremental upgrade. Runtime is completely different. Now Android has left its old Dalvik runtime and uses completely new runtime called 'Android Run Time' (ART), this alone is biggest and foremost reason to start afresh. A factory reset and cache partition wipe after the process makes sure there is no temporary file or garbage left out after the upgrade process. Apps and OS create files on the memory card also so better to format it as well.

It feels hassle to start afresh but eventually the efforts are worth. Hardware resources in the high end devices still have some room to tolerate the performance degradation caused by the 'dirty' upgrade process. But devices like Moto E which have limited hardware resources make the 'clean' process more relevant where gain of every single split second in performance matters.

All said and done, its not a written rule to follow all this hassle, its just recommended 'ideal' procedure to make sure that atleast old residues of the old don't cause any issues in the future. Its all upto you if you want to follow it or not. For me its a thumb rule to start afresh before any kind of OS update.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 14th August 2015 at 08:05.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 11:28   #21718
BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 586
Thanked: 1,171 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Did your firmware update sail through smoothly ? Please let us know how is the performance of Moto E with Android Lollipop 5.1.1.

Although i don't intend to upgrade, the information will be handy for all the readers.
Finally done. Took a while but phone is peppier than before. Free space before update was 500 MB , now it is 428 MB.

Camera updated with better exposure control. Rest all is same. Material design may not be liking for all, but it works better. Let's see how the battery performs.

Also didn't format the phone before update.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th August 2015 at 10:13.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 12:34   #21719
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,343
Thanked: 786 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

To all the android geeks here.

My wife went ahead and updated her Nexus 5 with the latest version of lollipop and the darn phone has continuously been restarting.
I did a clean wipe and reset from the boot menu options and it worked for a day or two. Now back at square one with the random restarting issue.

I know this has been widely discussed across other android forums , but none has a concrete fix. Any pointers ?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2015, 12:50   #21720
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,307 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
To all the android geeks here.

My wife went ahead and updated her Nexus 5 with the latest version of lollipop and the darn phone has continuously been restarting.
I did a clean wipe and reset from the boot menu options and it worked for a day or two. Now back at square one with the random restarting issue.

I know this has been widely discussed across other android forums , but none has a concrete fix. Any pointers ?
Sir, why this lollipop kolaveri di?

Why not flash a factory image of Kitkat and be done with it? Lollipop has a bitter after taste for many of my friends with the N5.

Why not give the wife a rock-solid stable working phone? Anyhow, ~89% of the android world (nearly a billion phones) are on kitkat or earlier versions, so most apps will support kitkat well for another year or two peacefully - no worries on compatibility!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« The iPhone Thread | - »

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks