Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 08:35   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

I think that if they price it around 6-6.5 ex-showroom, then it will sell & in good numbers. I don't see this product making any dents to the Bolero because when somebody buys a Bolero, its for very different reasons. However, the pricing is the key & they should price it at par with the Verito, I would say.

Lastly, is there any chance that this engine may move to the Verito as well? I mean, if Mahindra would now have their own engine, why would they not want it in the sedan as well & save money. Moreover, the spare parts costs can be kept in check with this engine since its their own manufacturing.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:12   #242
BHPian

@blackfire_9 sir, I don't think this engine will make to Verito for two reasons:

1. This engine is suitable for RWD setup of Quanto. Verito is FWD.
2. I don't think Renault may have given this much rights to Mahindra to go for a powertrain change.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:19   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
well a compact petrol SUV by Maruti at Rs 5.5 lac would sell if it has good FE , say with K12 engine with bumped up FE like in Dzire petrol. Many people would prefer it over Dzire or other budget petrol sedans!
They can introduce JIMNY in INDIA, the only issue i see is its only 2 door.
Quanto should have had 50:50 splitting seats with reclining option as well.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:22   #244
Senior - BHPian

The link below again talks of a 65 ps engine and 5 lakh price tag combo.

Mahindra has done a good job to keep the engine hood tightly closed and people guessing, until the very last week, I must say !

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/m.../1/217370.html
mooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 15:15   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Mahindra has done a good job to keep the engine hood tightly closed and people guessing, until the very last week, I must say !
+1 to this... when discussing this few of my friends each one of them are having different interpretations to what is under the hood of quanto apparently some other dealers have given info to the tune that like how xylo normal is having mdicrde and meagle engines, quanto also will have 2 variants.

also in the link which you have given, the comment of Goenka to expect a "realistic pricing" seems to be giving a hint that it will not be very low as some of us is expecting.

Anyways, only 1 more week to go before we really know what all is there / or not.

Last edited by haria : 15th September 2012 at 15:22.
Old 15th September 2012, 17:01   #246
BHPian

Here you go folks. Taken today when I went for my PDI of the Scorpio.
I guess all speculations can be laid to rest now.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-img2012091500382.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-img2012091500378.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-img2012091500384.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-img2012091500385.jpg  

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-img2012091500381.jpg  

Last edited by Torque-ative : 15th September 2012 at 17:03.
Torque-ative is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 17:02   #247
BHPian

Quanto seems to be another VFM offering from Mahindra after XUV500 considering the prices Quanto is soon going to be tagged with.
I think compact SUV battle is going to strengthen with the introduction of Quanto . The launch as well as prices are going to put heavy pressure on the American manufacturer; Ford to bring in its little SUV and price it aggresively. Maruti also would be forced to speed up the process of development of XA Alpha.
Old 15th September 2012, 17:28   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Here you go folks. Taken today when I went for my PDI of the Scorpio.
I guess all speculations can be laid to rest now.
It's as tall as Xylo , I have the same fear as others, will it be a good handler, for Xylo with longer (& probably bigger tyres) isn't, but will be a good alternative to tall hatches in areas with bad roads.

@Torque-ative congrats for your Scorpio.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 15th September 2012 at 17:31.
Old 15th September 2012, 18:45   #249
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information buddy. And though this thread is about Quanto discussions, could you mention what makes one engine suitable for RWD & another for FWD?

Also, didn't Mahindra come out with Verito to take care of the rights thing. I thought that the kind of changes that have been done to the Verito (refreshed latest avatar) are quite extensive & that probably shows that Mahindra has complete rights or something like that.

Lastly, does anyone know if Mahindra manufactures the 1.5 dCi under license or it buys these units from Renault. And is the 1.5 dCi an aluminium block or a cast iron one?

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
@blackfire_9 sir, I don't think this engine will make to Verito for two reasons:

1. This engine is suitable for RWD setup of Quanto. Verito is FWD.
2. I don't think Renault may have given this much rights to Mahindra to go for a powertrain change.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 15th September 2012 at 18:56.
Old 15th September 2012, 19:22   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Lastly, does anyone know if Mahindra manufactures the 1.5 dCi under license or it buys these units from Renault. And is the 1.5 dCi an aluminium block or a cast iron one?

Drive safe.
I dont know if the pdf posted on the earlier thread still exists, so for the benefit of our mates here below is the google search link. Open the PDF from team-bhp.com . The PDF explains in details how they arrived at this engine. And yeah it is a 185kg (dry weight) all aluminum block.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=MU...ient=firefox-a

I have done some searching around the email id on the PDF and the PPT slides used by mahindra and this document seems to be original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
I dont know if the pdf posted on the earlier thread still exists, so for the benefit of our mates here below is the google search link. Open the PDF from team-bhp.com . The PDF explains in details how they arrived at this engine. And yeah it is a 185kg (dry weight) all aluminum block.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=MU...ient=firefox-a

I have done some searching around the email id on the PDF and the PPT slides used by mahindra and this document seems to be original.

Quick update: I just sent the message as indicated on the Demo car and got a reply saying "Thank you for your interest in the new Mahindra Quanto. Our Executive will get in touch with you shortly."

Last edited by Eddy : 15th September 2012 at 20:37. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 15th September 2012, 20:15   #251
Senior - BHPian

M & M, a request from me - please affix the rear number plate at the location shown below (sorry for the amateur paint job !). This will fill up the large vacant spot on the rear door, which looks a bit awkward.

I like the looks from all the other angles

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-quanto.jpg
mooza is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 21:02   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

whats going on after the C pillar?
do the lines looks skewed to on the glass top and bottom, or is that just me?
Can some of our PS experts do the black bit on the windows in body color just for a look-see,please?
Old 15th September 2012, 21:32   #253
BHPian

eeks. This is ugly as it can get. What was Mahindra thinking? Looks like they tried to make an uglier xylo (no offence to owners) and succeeded. The side view looks horrible with the puny tyres exaggerating the gap in the wheel well. People will probably still end up buying because of the SUV like looks and the 100BHP engine.
Old 15th September 2012, 21:42   #254
Senior - BHPian

Well I must admit this looks much better than I expected to look. The front looks much more beefier than the Xylo. Rear looks too boxy though. But if a Wagon R can sell, then this too should sell specially with its 100 bhp and expected good pricing.

The side profile does look like a beefed up Wagon R. Or is it just me?
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 22:07   #255
BHPian

It looks OK to me but they could have made it better.

And if priced right it will surely bring in some good numbers for Mahindra. The 100bhp engine Quanto would definitely hit the sales of Cars like Figo & Swift.

Swift is definitely overpriced & Figo is a lil under powered with a not so great GC.

This will be a comfortable 5 seater+ adequate luggage space. The only concern would be the handling & high speed stability of the Tall boy design.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks