Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 09:18   #1906
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Duster seems to be entering C2 segment territory and is moving away from the C1.

Earlier you could compare with Vento, Sunny, Rapid, New Fiesta, Fluidic Verna but now it is priced well above all the sedans.
Very rightly pointed out. A colleague is contemplating between Duster and Rapid and when i showed him the post inc prices of Duster, he almost immediately made up his mind to go for Rapid. He is getting a decent discount on it as well.
Old 15th January 2013, 09:27   #1907
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
The faint rattling can be heard especially on a silent night when driving at 50+ speeds over medium potholes.

If anyone is facing this, were service guys successful in locating the root cause? Is there a tentative fix for this issue?

Thanks
Finding out and resolving the source of a rattle is both time consuming as well as difficult if it cannot easily be reproduced. To the service center guys who have a pile of cars to work on, this may take a lower priority in terms of working on a fix. With the Duster being a relatively new vehicle, there is still knowledge to be gained in this area.

In vehicles like the Scorpio, the source of rattles are usually well-known since the vehicle has been round for some time now. I had similar small rattles, and the dealer has fixed them without them coming back.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:56   #1908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
I hear some faint rattles from left front side of the car, possibly glovebox.

The faint rattling can be heard especially on a silent night when driving at 50+ speeds over medium potholes.

If anyone is facing this, were service guys successful in locating the root cause? Is there a tentative fix for this issue?

Thanks
Ok this is what I encountered in my Ikon. Used to hear rattle from the LHS around the glove box area. Also the rattle was sort of intermittent even over the same patch of road. So was very confused. Service Center was not able to isolate, even after couple of visits. I did try to find out the possible cause myself. And guess what I found . Inside the Left AC vent, rests an "ice cream" stick . No, serious. I guess one of my boys was playing around poking it into the AC vent and sort of got it stuck inside. I never noticed it and boys being boys do not "recall" having put this in. It would rattle only if manages to get shaken out of its resting place and hence the intermittent rattle. Finally manged to get it out and "Silence" ...

So do check the AC vent for anything small, even cap of a pen could cause irritating rattle and very diff to find it out. You need to really peep inside the vent. Give it a shot ... who knows .

Regards
Bugs.
Old 15th January 2013, 14:36   #1909
Team-BHP Support

Duster revised prices in Bangalore:

85PS RxL (O) - 10,88,900 (ex-showroom) - 13,43,657 (on-road)
110PS RXL - 10,68,700 (ex-showroom) - 13,18,937 (on-road)
110PS RXZ - 11,60,400 (ex-showroom) - 14,31,155 (on-road)
110PS RXZ (O) - 12,11,100 (ex-showroom) - 14,93,199 (on-road)

Also from the price list it seems that the 85 PS RXL (O) and 110PS RXZ (O) have an after market Sat-nav system added for the 2013 models. It's not an in built one but aftermarket.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th January 2013 at 18:31. Reason: typo in price
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 14:49   #1910
BHPian

Quote:

Also from the price list it seems that the 85 PS RXL (O) and 110PS RXZ (O) have an after market Sat-nav system added for the 2013 models. It's not an in built one but aftermarket.
The cost of the 85PS RxL(O) has gone up by almost 50K .
This is just crazy. Now i am completely cornered.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th January 2013 at 18:32. Reason: corrected a typo in my price quote
Old 15th January 2013, 15:11   #1911
BHPian

Hello everybody.

We received delivery of Duster 85 RXL yesterday (January 14). Unfortunately, I cannot start an ownership review as the vehicle is with my parents and not with me.

Here is our experience in brief. My father retired in 2010 and was in the lookout for an SUV. He had booked Fortuner which unfortunately had to be canceled due to other financial obligations. We then booked Volkswagen Vento Diesel which too had to be canceled due to similar reasons. Duster was the third vehicle we booked.

We booked Duster RXE Petrol on August 31 at Dee Dee Motors in Dehradun for 50,000 booking amount (just in time to be eligible for price protection from subsequent increase). Main reasons for going with Petrol was to save on initial capital cost (on road price was coming to around 7.8 lacs) and also the running would not be high (less than 1000 km or even 500 km per month). The delivery period promised was January which was fine with us as we were not in a hurry. We talked to the dealer during December and were told that the Petrol models were not being manufactured much due to low demand and so the delivery would be pushed to February. By this time we were a bit restless and also there were fears that price protection may not last for much longer, especially if another price hike materializes by February.

Long story short, we changed the booking to 85 RXL on December 31. However, we had to pay additional 2 lacs in order to maintain the price protection, especially since price hike was now imminent. Apparently someone had canceled 85 RXL and we would be able to get it by mid January. We were told that even 85 RXE was not being manufactured much and delivery period could not be provided with any degree of certainty. The on road price was coming to around 9.8 lacs now, almost 2 lacs more than RXE Petrol.

My father arranged the car loan for 5 lacs from SBI (10.5% interest rate, no pre-payment penalty) and the dealer confirmed in second week of January that the vehicle had arrived. We set Makar Sankranti (January 14) for the D-day. I had provided the team-bhp PDI checklist to my father and brother. The delivery details are as follows:

- We opted for insurance from the dealer as hopefully my parents will have to face lesser hassles in case of claims.
- My brother had created an mp3 CD for testing the music system. However, the music system could not read it. Probable cause told by the dealer was that there were too many folders in the CD. Will have to check this again with all mp3s in the root folder. - As per my folks, the dealership experience was good and the staff was courteous.
- Mileage was 50 km which seems fine. We didn't know how to check if odometer was disconnected.
- Body work and glasses did not seem to have any dents or scratches.
- Battery warranty is for one year, but a separate warranty certificate is not provided.
- There is no warranty for tires.
- While there is the standard 4 years/ 80,000 km warranty for the vehicle, separate warranty certificate was not provided. Dealer said that the chassis number would be entered in the Dealer Management System (DMS) which would then be automatically available at all service centers across India.
- As per the dealer recommended tire pressure is 35 psi. I had read earlier on this thread that the recommended tire pressure is 29 psi. As per my folks, the ride quality is great, so probably will not ask them to set it to 29 psi.
- Mud flaps and floor mats promised free during booking of RXE Petrol were not provided free for 85 RXL. It’s a small thing, but it did sour the experience a bit and we decided to get them later from outside.
- As per the PDI checklist, my folks distributed sweets and gave a token gift to the sales person.

To reiterate myself, the overall dealership experience was good as per my folks and the staff was courteous.

Unfortunately, as I was not present during the delivery, I cannot provide much further information on the dealership experience or the vehicle. However, if people in the vicinity of Dehradun have any questions, I would be happy to check with my folks and try to answer your queries.

I would like to thank team-bhp for the wealth of information, especially the PDI checklist. Although my folks could not check everything on it and could not get all the documents (especially warranty certificates), but it was a big help to them in checking at least the major points without me being there.

Now have to order team-bhp stickers and key chain !
Old 15th January 2013, 15:14   #1912
BHPian

The price parity between the RXL 85 (O) and RXL 110 is not gone. Perhaps the satnav has something to do with it.

Give there is usually a difference of around 1500 euros for the 4x4 that will make it around 16 lakh OTR in Bangalore when-if launched, which to me sounds a bit ridiculous for the Duster.

The upside is Renault enthusiastic pricing gives a lot of room for new comers to capture market share.

Hopefully we don't see product and marketing folks play safe and try to establish a new pricing benchmark for small SUV at these inflated levels as its not going to work and volumes will keep shrinking.

If the Duster is working in developed markets with volumes at 14-18000 euros (with ESP) I don't see how you can expect it to work in India with volumes at significantly higher prices.
Old 15th January 2013, 15:30   #1913
BHPian

this is as classic a case of "make hay while the sun shines" , as it can be.
Way to go Renault India !
Old 15th January 2013, 15:41   #1914
Distinguished - BHPian

I think Renault is doing what Mahindra did with the XUV500. There is hardly any competition for the Duster right now in the market and if it continues selling at the revised prices than nothing like it.
Old 15th January 2013, 18:29   #1915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Freak View Post
MODEL-----------(OLD)-------------(NEW)
RXL(O) 85--------1,083,763---------1,133,621
Quote:
85PS RxL (O) - 18,88,900 (ex-showroom) - 13,43,657 (on-road)

Viddy you meant its 11.88 or 10.88? If its 10.88 then how come ex-Mumbai pricing is higher?

And if 11.88, then wow! The launch price for this variant was about ~10.10 ex-Bangalore. The price has gone up more than 1.5L !!!!
Old 15th January 2013, 18:34   #1916
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Viddy you meant its 11.88 or 10.88? If its 10.88 then how come ex-Mumbai pricing is higher?

And if 11.88, then wow! The launch price for this variant was about ~10.10 ex-Bangalore. The price has gone up more than 1.5L !!!!
Dammit!! I made a typo. It is 10.88 not 11.88.
Old 15th January 2013, 18:49   #1917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dammit!! I made a typo. It is 10.88 not 11.88.
Then the original question is still valid? Is ex-Mumbai price 11.33 as mentioned by Power freak? That seems too high.
Old 15th January 2013, 19:06   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So if they add an AWD version and add 1L, we are looking at 16L OTR for the top of the line AWD version.

One can buy a used Fortuner, Endy or Pajero for that price. More space too.
Old 15th January 2013, 20:15   #1919

Today I spoke with the Reanult customer care regarding the pricing issue as a lot of people are coming up their own price lists from the dealers. Although I have not not spoken to my dealer yet, what CC told me is bit confusing:- " Reanult has not officially diclared the new prices as of yet.". I believe the customer care folks should be first one to know if the new prices are released.

And above all, to my delight I was informed the new prices ( when they come out) would be effective for only new bookings. People who made the bookings earlier and waiting for delivery shall get price protection, if this price increase is not because of any new tax levied by the the government. That seems to be a good news, if the CC has to be believed .

Quote:
Originally Posted by desidino View Post
Hello everybody.

We received delivery of Duster 85 RXL yesterday (January 14). Unfortunately, I cannot start an ownership review as the vehicle is with my parents and not with me......

Congrats desidino. I have booked the same model. I definately would have loved to book a higher model, but my finances restrict me. Wish your family many happy miles in your duster!!!
Old 15th January 2013, 20:58   #1920
BANNED

Is it possible to do a custom mod on the Duster's interiors? A better designed dashboard maybe with better plastics. If yes, what would be the ballpark for the pricing.

The Duster seems good enough in most areas, but the Interiors are a major letdown.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks