Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2014, 09:39   #3526
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
BRAKING: I felt the Safari Storme with its all disc brakes, EBD and ABS thrown in has better braking. I know all these are available in a Scorpio also. But mind you, the Scorpio has these features minus the all disc brakes only from S8 onwards. The base Storme comes with these.
Would like to highlight one thing, Scorpio comes with ABS only(No EBD). Also, Storme has Disc Brakes on all 4 wheels whereas the new Scorpio only has front disk brakes & rear drum brakes.

Quote:
STEERING: I felt the steering in the Safari Storme a bit too light and vague at times. The vehicle I had driven had already clocked 21000km, but it was no where near the Scorpio which was more precise.

GEAR SHIFT: The safari still feel notchy. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd requires a bit of effort. The Scorpio feels smoother and much easy.
Agree with condor. These might be due to a 21k TD vehicle.
Old 31st October 2014, 11:03   #3527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PICK UP: The Storme feels like a lazy bull which has just awaken from its siesta. Pick up! There isn't any. On the other hand, Scorpio feels like a steroid injected sprinter. Once you get in the 3rd gear, its then only that the Storme awaken.
This is basic difference of gearing between Safari and Scorpio from previous generation. The first and second gear in Safari are really short and that helps when you are pulling it on incline or in slush.
Safari 3ed gear is really wideband and you can drive from 30 to 100 kmph easily in it.
Bascially gear ratios are not designed to do racing from one traffic signal to next.

In Scorpio the 2nd gear has lots of range and you can pick speed without up-shifting early so it excels in racing from one traffic signal to other. However if this is not the use-case drivability of Safari has no other issue.
amitk26 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 12:50   #3528
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

No offense to any Scorpio owners, past or present or future, but the Scorpio is just not in the same size class of the Safari. Never has been, and with the new Scorpio, still isn't.

I had gone to the house warming Puja of one of my boys from my office team yesterday. There was a new Scorpio parked below. With a driver sleeping on the middle row bench. So I took my time going all around checking the vehicle out, peering in and checking the interiors out.

Seriously guys, does anything of the interiors remotely exude the same class as the Storme's do? The dash plastics? The upholstery of the seats? The material and the color choice.

There is only one thing I liked and that was the 3rd row seats. They are proper benches to the Storme's single seaters. And the back walls of the Scorpio are straight, unlike the sloping Storme ones, so that the people sitting on those do not need to stoop and lean forward. Short of that, the interiors look like a complete price band lower.

On the outside, I love the front bonnet, grille, headlight, scoop treatment. And find the black plastic treatment at the rear equally hideous. Also, I don't know what the actual ground clearance of the Scorpio is vis a vis the Safari/Storme, but with those aluminium side foot boards, it looks significantly less/lower.

The above is purely my personal opinion.

Last edited by ebonho : 31st October 2014 at 12:55.
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 21:45   #3529
BHPian

Sasi i am surprised at your experience at aristo and the goof up they have done. I was at aristo today got the engine oil changed at 7500km and as always the experience was perfect. Car taken immediately and came back all clean, did cleaning also without me asking for it. Guess wrong alignment of stars when u went there.

Was at DLF phase 1 market this evening and saw a fellow bhpian white storme with decals and parked next to it, some sight it was with two white beasts and bhp decals.
Old 31st October 2014, 22:36   #3530
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone, I test drove the Safari Storme VX 4wd yesterday. This was my second test drive. I did it because I wanted to compare it with the Scorpio S10 4x2 I had driven 2 weeks back.
This post is exhaustive and crisp at the same time . It is useful for anyone looking for a quick comparison to decide between the new Scorpio and Storme. But in all honesty, though I don't like Tata Safari, I really appreciate Tata for providing safety features in lesser variants. Mahindra has failed to capitalize on the demand for vehicles with safety features, as more and more people are getting aware on the need of such features in automobiles.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 07:54   #3531
BHPian

I am TD'ing the Storme and XUV500 (again) and will book the Storme EX. Looking to take delivery end Nov. It's a mind vs heart game. I am 99% convinced of going with my heart! There is one life to live. But wanted to TD both again so that i don't have any doubts.

I have few questions:
1. What type of discounts can I expect? - I am from Chennai
2. Do TML sell the OE Storme Alloys?
3. What are the options for after-market ICE without voiding warranty
Old 1st November 2014, 12:17   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I have few questions:
1. What type of discounts can I expect? - I am from Chennai
2. Do TML sell the OE Storme Alloys?
3. What are the options for after-market ICE without voiding warranty

1. You can get discount depend on stock they have, if its fresh stock you will get hardly 30k.
2. Not sure
3. Stay away, TML is known for warranty related issues so stay safe.

If possible, wait for facelift version. But not sure when it will be launched.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 12:42   #3533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Also, I don't know what the actual ground clearance of the Scorpio is vis a vis the Safari/Storme, but with those aluminium side foot boards, it looks significantly less/lower.
Our official Team BHP thread on the new Mahindra Scorpio shows the ground clearance as a mere 165 mm (vs 200 for the Storme/Aria and 205 for the Dicor)!

Surely this is a mistake? 165 mm is way too small for an SUV surely, especially one shod with 17 inch wheels?
Old 1st November 2014, 13:19   #3534
BHPian

Wasn't there a new Law/ Legislation which taxed all SUV's higher (Based on ground clearance) and hence Mahindra decided to add a new gaurd plate below which dropped the ground clearance but made its vehicles be taxed lower

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...evade-suv-tax/

Last edited by sreedotk : 1st November 2014 at 13:20.
Old 1st November 2014, 13:27   #3535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our official Team BHP thread on the new Mahindra Scorpio shows the ground clearance as a mere 165 mm (vs 200 for the Storme/Aria and 205 for the Dicor)!

Surely this is a mistake? 165 mm is way too small for an SUV surely, especially one shod with 17 inch wheels?
No. The Scorpio and xuv500 have had their GC less than 170mm since more than an year now. To make more profit via less excise duty. They've added some flimsy engine guard plate thing. Without the plate the GC is 200 or more but they can't market it. I feel that's a good ploy. Those who like can always remove that fake guard.

In the Safari update thread in Indian car scene section I had posted that as a suggestion to bring Safari cost further down.

Last edited by Reinhard : 1st November 2014 at 13:28.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 13:34   #3536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
No. The Scorpio and xuv500 have had their GC less than 170mm since more than an year now. To make more profit via less excise duty. They've added some flimsy engine guard plate thing. Without the plate the GC is 200 or more but they can't market it. I feel that's a good ploy. Those who like can always remove that fake guard.

In the Safari update thread in Indian car scene section I had posted that as a suggestion to bring Safari cost further down.
That's brilliant. Though am not sure what we are doing as a country with such stupid officials at the job writing the rules that they cannot see through this obvious ploy. It actually depresses me. Its obvious that all guards, claddings etc. that are not structural elements of the vehicle (in that, not possible to remove) should not be taken into account when calculating ground clearance. The lowest part of the chassis, or transmission or engine casing, or fuel tank should. Making sure that none of the above (esp. the fuel tank) can be transplaced to a new position at a later date. I thought they had done this for the Xylo only when they launched the mutant Quanto. Had no idea they had been brazen enough to try it on the Scorpio and XUV as well ....

Last edited by ebonho : 1st November 2014 at 13:39.
Old 1st November 2014, 13:40   #3537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No offense to any Scorpio owners, past or present or future, but the Scorpio is just not in the same size class of the Safari. Never has been, and with the new Scorpio, still isn't.
No offence taken . you are absolutely correct. I had a mhawk vlx 4x4 with middle captains chairs and I can tell you that interior space & ergonomics is a generation behind the Tata Safari. The middle & third row (for 8 seater forward facing third row version) have very little leg space. If the front who is about 6 ft tall, keeps the front seats in a comfortable position, the middle row passenger has hardly any leg space.

Safari has it's issues, but interior space & comfort are it's strong points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
Wasn't there a new Law/ Legislation which taxed all SUV's higher (Based on ground clearance) and hence Mahindra decided to add a new gaurd plate below which dropped the ground clearance but made its vehicles be taxed lower
This is true and widely reported. The previous UPA finance minister Shitambaram brought out a silly law taxing vehicles based on Ground Clearance . XUV had about 200 mm GC and they added an engine guard to drop the GC below 170. This was widely reported. You can see the specs between the first version. This happenned in the 2013 budget.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 3rd November 2014 at 02:35. Reason: Post edited. Please restrict smiley usage to two per post. Thank you.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 14:32   #3538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
1. You can get discount depend on stock they have, if its fresh stock you will get hardly 30k.
2. Not sure
3. Stay away, TML is known for warranty related issues so stay safe.

If possible, wait for facelift version. But not sure when it will be launched.
They mentioned 40K discount.
Alloys are sold at 45K/4 wheels - thats absurd
The sales person said warranty will be void if ICE is taken from outside.

I cannot wait indefinitely for the refresh. I already waited from June/July. And no one knows when that will come. The only thing that i was looking forward to the refresh wast the Harman ICE. But will have to let go
Old 1st November 2014, 14:37   #3539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
They mentioned 40K discount.
Alloys are sold at 45K/4 wheels - thats absurd
The sales person said warranty will be void if ICE is taken from outside.

I cannot wait indefinitely for the refresh. I already waited from June/July. And no one knows when that will come. The only thing that i was looking forward to the refresh wast the Harman ICE. But will have to let go
My honest suggestion having been in the same boat once (so I know the torture and the attraction to give in and take the plunge) is that you wait.

You are too close to potentially getting yourself a Storme with a kickass engine (not that the current one is any slouch ....) and a much better / advanced generation gearbox (not that the current one is bad or shift poorly or lacks feel in any way), for hardly much more (no company can afford to price an upgrade atrociously compared to a current existing model), to give in now.

You've done the hard yards. There may still be a few more to do. But from what we hear, the upgrade is going to have the new Aria engine.

I personally would wait at least 6 months more for that, maybe even a year .... IF I did not absolutely need a car, and had another till then.

If it was ANYTHING other than the engine / gearbox - be it harman kardon, climate control, intelligent this smart that, 40 inch LED in the dash with complete telemetry, buttons all along the circumference of the steering, chandeliers from the roof, porta-potty in 3rd row, etc. - I would have eyes closed bought the current Storme and driven a really HARD year ending bargain.

Last edited by ebonho : 1st November 2014 at 14:47.
Old 1st November 2014, 16:19   #3540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Seriously guys, does anything of the interiors remotely exude the same class as the Storme's do? The dash plastics? The upholstery of the seats? The material and the color choice.
This is what I think

Quote:

It is. Perhaps from differential, it measures as 205mm. And the car (to my naked eye) appears high as well, than the earlier iteration.

Quote:
You are too close to potentially getting yourself a Storme with a kickass engine (not that the current one is any slouch ....)
The engine on the Scorpio is more refined & drivability is better as well. Only grouse is a short 5th gear.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks