Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2016, 19:27   #346
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Surprised by your observations about the engine sounding crude...
So was I, SDP. The test drive completely took the winds out of my sails. I had been so confident that the XUV would convince me that I have not considered any other options as an upgrade for a long time.

I am not ruling it out yet. I intend to drive:
  1. The new age 2.2 manual - available with a colleague
  2. Another 1.99 automatic to determine if this was a one off experience
  3. The new 1.99 manual

The lack of AWD in the 1.99 is a definite put off. Im hoping like the automatic, keyless entry etc this is just a delayed launch.

Cheers,
Sting
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2016, 20:06   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I second that. Recently,a friend wanted to buy the AT so I took a lot of test drives of W10 AT - engine sounds harsh especially in 1st and second and that gearbox is really pathetic, totally disappointed. Tried the manual mode it's horrible, there is huge lag, so much that first I thought I pressed "-" instead of "+" and may be I was over-ruled by the ECU, but no checked again and again...that thing just takes time.

Then we thought it's the particular car, so went to the other dealer and test drove their AT, same thing.

"took the winds out of my sail" - you said it.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 19:51   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Booked the W10 AWD AT with Sahyadri Motors Pune.
Finally settled for Opulent Purple with orange being the other contender.
Delivery is expected in 2-3 weeks.

Excited and looking forward to ownership experience of Mahindra.
Dear heman_369,

Congrats.
I might be booking a Scorpio with Sahyadri Motors in the coming days.
Could you share your experiences? I am specially interested in any discounts offered?

Girish Mahajan
Old 25th July 2016, 13:28   #349
BANNED

Purchased XUV 1.99 W6 AT

First of all I would like to thank all member on Team BHP which helped me in taking this decision.

Infact its a story full of twists and turns.
I had been in the market for an Automatic and had started the hunt almost an year back. Ideally I wanted a 6/7 seater AT. Currently am driving a fiesta 1.6 petrol SXI and was kind of spoilt.
In the process I TD every automatic that was there in from 9L to 20L and was not finding anything satisfactory.
Then in mid December XUV AT was launched and i was quite excited and was waiting for the TD vehicles to come.
1st Jan, we have a ban on diesels more then 2L in Delhi/NCR and all hopes got dashed.
Then in 3 months Mahindra launches the 1.99 cc version but no AT !
In the meantime I again did some TDs and zeroed on Ecosport AT , despite my reservations about the not so exciting engine.
I booked ecosport mid June. delivery was expected end June. It got delayed by a couple of days.
In Parallel XUV launched AT in 1.99 cc version in delhi/ncr in 3rd week of June. Though I had booked Ecosport, I generally called up Mahindra for a test ride and a shining new TD vehicle came on Friday 1st July.
TD went fine and i got thinking.
Monday i call up ford and cancel the ecosport and book w6 AT
To be fair the Ford guy was a sport and he has even promised a full refund of the booking amount.
Got delivery of a silver W6 AT on 15th July. Finally my year old hunt for an Automatic ends! infact I got lucky as Mahindra was running a cash back of 40K on W6.

First Impressions
The car is quite refined and easy to drive. Lots of space and bells and whistles.
Infact kids flipped the 2 and 3 row, put a thin mattress and frolicked on the 'makeshift bed'
We are enjoying the car and as Rajeeraj mentioned in one his posts, an Automatic makes you drive more ...and its happening. the same me who used to groan when asked to drive is now eager to venture out even during peak delhi traffic.

Queries
I have the following queries :

1) Engine/Transmission noise is quite high high especially in 2-4th gear. Infact its almost a growl in 3rd and in general the noise and vibration levels are high- despite music or rain.
I am hoping that after the first services of 5K , the car would have 'run-in' and the noise/vibration tapers down.
Also are there any options to damp out this noise/vibrations ?
Any views/suggestions on this regard are welcome

2) Brakes : work very well but they are very sharp, almost to the extent of being jerky. I can also hear some metal screech sounds once in a while. Again I am hoping that this will come down once the car has done a couple of thousand Kms.
Also am told that the brakes are the first casualty in an automatic.
Any suggestions what can I do here

3) Apart from these two , I havent observed any issues. Yes i came across the first niggle - one small plastic part on A pillar is loose ! but after reading so much , am kind of mentally reconciled to a few of these as long as they are harmless.

4) the steering wheel material feels a bit rough. any suggestions on what kind of a cover or wrapping is helpful.

Rest I will post more as i drive/discover the car more

cheers
ta1017 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 13:39   #350
BHPian

The experience with Sahyadri motors has been good so far.

The SA are a little low on the product knowledge aspect but are very forthcoming and not pushy. They gave me 3 long test drives and were really prompt in following up.

37K + 8k discounts that were running when I booked were offered to me.

Couple of good things are that they allow insurance from outside which saves significant cost and also took me to the stockyard for a complete PDI before I made the payment.
Old 25th July 2016, 14:43   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1017 View Post
1) Engine/Transmission noise is quite high high especially in 2-4th gear. Infact its almost a growl in 3rd and in general the noise and vibration levels are high- despite music or rain.

2) Brakes : work very well but they are very sharp, almost to the extent of being jerky.

3) Apart from these two , I havent observed any issues. Yes i came across the first niggle - one small plastic part on A pillar is loose ! but after reading so much , am kind of mentally reconciled to a few of these as long as they are harmless.

4) the steering wheel material feels a bit rough. any suggestions on what kind of a cover or wrapping is helpful.
Congratulations for your XUV.

Engine noise - I would suggest that you check once if the noise at idle RPM is heard? Like say after running for 5-10 mins when you put the car in neutral and put handbrake - can you hear the engine noise as abnormal? For me when the car is parking after a shirt drive and I am outside - from the rear of the car, I cant even hear if the engine is running. Also check for anything on the firewall/ under the hood padding/ damping material getting damaged. Could be a reason for higher noise.

Brakes - thats absolutely normal. It would mostly be smoothened by 5K as well as you get used to it and get good handle on how to use them.

The A pillar plastic part - which one you are referring to exactly? Pics? If its that oval label of SRS airbag - you can put it back without an issue. But in first place that should not have happened.

Steering grip - I think putting the cover/ grip on steering would increase the thickness of the steering wheel. Not sure if you would be able to have proper hold. Personally I use the steering as is - no extra wraps or covers on it. Its neither smooth/ slippery nor hard to pain my palms.

Hope this helps.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2016, 14:11   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Thats
I was hoping it can be dealer retrofitted as it is a glaring omission in such a loaded vehicle and very very useful too.
Just got to read the article today. Mahindra introduced Passive Keyless Entry and Push Button Start on top end AT. Below is the link:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/53403411.cms
Old 27th July 2016, 17:25   #353
BHPian

Yes they have.

The question is whether the system can be retrofitted to older cars having key start.
Old 27th July 2016, 17:30   #354
BANNED

Thanks abirnale

Well the engine IS noisy. When I put the car in neutral, say at a red light, the vibrations significantly reduce but the engine noise is there.
and as I said in gears 2-4, its quite high. under the hood damping looks fine. am planning to raise it when i take for service. Any suggestions for any after market damping options will be welcome.

Will post the pic of the loose part next week, am travelling this week.
Steering wheel is kind of rough. Will see if there is any thin, leather wrapping available.
Old 27th July 2016, 19:47   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Just got to read the article today. Mahindra introduced Passive Keyless Entry and Push Button Start on top end AT. Below is the link:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/53403411.cms
This was introduced in the W10 AT version in June itself, however what M&M has done is that they have added the Passive Keyless entry and Push Button start to the W8 manual versions. Listed on their website as well.
http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/compar...?id=comp_model

Last edited by uday.ere : 27th July 2016 at 19:50.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 10:03   #356
BHPian

Guys the passive key-less entry is not new in the W8 manual version. My AWD cheetah from April 2016 was called the refresh W8 version and to compensate for post budget pricing had Passive Keyless entry and Push Button start also voice messaging was an added bonus
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 10:38   #357
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Guys the passive key-less entry is not new in the W8 manual version. My AWD cheetah from April 2016 was called the refresh W8 version and to compensate for post budget pricing had Passive Keyless entry and Push Button start also voice messaging was an added bonus
Vinit, here the discussion is about the W10 AT. The W10 FWD had passive keyless entry, but not the W10 AT. Apparently that gap was plugged in June-2016
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 10:43   #358
Senior - BHPian

Kindly check the Post #3 of this thread which mentions in detail that only MT versions have these features and not ATs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Old 28th July 2016, 10:52   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Vinit, here the discussion is about the W10 AT. The W10 FWD had passive keyless entry, but not the W10 AT. Apparently that gap was plugged in June-2016
My bad sanjay i was referring to uday's post which i mistook for him pointing out that the W8 manuals have got the features only recently in June 2016.
apologies for the same!
vinitbhavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 11:18   #360
BHPian

I am taking delivery of my W10 AWD AT on Sunday and it does come with a push button and passive keyless entry. Only thing that it misses out from the MT car is the micro hybrid technology.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks