Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 11:33   #3496
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,390 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I lost around half an hour on my morning commute due to this today. Hoping this doesn't continue everyday.
Ever since the pipeline work started, I have been using this route:

Varthur Rd to Old Airport Rd - Google Maps

This is about 3km longer, and the road is a bit narrow, bumpy and pothole ridden in parts, but you can do the off-Airport Road stretch in about 15 minutes (compared to 45 minutes to 1 hour via the main road).

Now, if they open the Challaghata-EGL-IRR road for traffic, I will save a further 30 minutes that I lose due to the two signals at Wind Tunnel Road junction and Manipal Hospital.

Last edited by binand : 21st June 2012 at 11:34.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:43   #3497
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 626
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

The spot in front of the IOC pump at Bellandur is a mess during mornings. Cars entering the ring road from service road takes the U-turn immediately causing traffic snarl (towards Marthahalli side). The cut in service road and the next U-turn should be spaced at least 300-500m, to allow the traffic to merge smoothly and then take the U-turn. Also, the speed breaker should be removed and the bus stop should be shifted a little before the current location.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:13   #3498
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,515 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

i'm wondering when will BTP grow some spine!! people blatantly break the traffic rules and just get away with it!!

Etios taxi taking a illegal turn in front of EGL and driving in the wrong direction all the way beyond Dell office!
Name:  _MG_6819.JPG
Views: 865
Size:  121.9 KB

company cab (Kangaroo brand) driving on the wrong side to get ahead! called their travel desk and complained!
Name:  _MG_6826.JPG
Views: 791
Size:  101.2 KB

here's a Indicab going the wrong way on 14th main Indiranagar, which is a one-way!
Name:  _MG_6830.JPG
Views: 797
Size:  127.5 KB

aah! here we see a cop managing traffic, allowing them to drive on the wrong side!
Name:  _MG_6829.JPG
Views: 889
Size:  103.8 KB
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 11:23   #3499
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Could someone please enlighten me? Are the service roads on either side of OMR, just after one crosses KR Puram one-way or two-way? I ask this question because though I find vehicles going in either direction on the service roads, somehow most vehicles insist on keeping right as if it is a one-way.

Thanks,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 13:19   #3500
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 3,482 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

The signal at Forum Mall / Big Bazaar joining Hosur road is a recipe for disaster waiting to happen. Traffic from forum mall turns right to go towards St. Johns / Madiwala. Simulataneously, traffic coming from Raheja arcade signal is allowed to merge into this Forum mall traffic. Some vehicles coming from Raheja want to keep straight towards Total mall. Some vehicles from Forum side want to turn left towards St. Johns at the same time (there is some divider there separating the two sides), resulting in total mayhem in the mornings and evenings. I was turning left towards St. Johns, and almost got rear ended today by a civic guy who was driving like a maniac coming from Raheja arcade signal and heading to Total mall.

doesn't BTP have the common sense to avoid giving green signal to intersecting directions of traffic simultaneously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
aah! here we see a cop managing traffic, allowing them to drive on the wrong side!
Attachment 945782
H4wk, This actually happens everyday at the SAP labs signal in whitefield . The density of traffic is way too high to disperse through the junction in the tiny 60-90 seconds interval when the signal stays green, so they do this here everyday, especially during peak office-returning hours ~5-8pm. Traffic turning right is allowed to use this 'wrong side'.

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th June 2012 at 13:30.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 13:37   #3501
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,971
Thanked: 3,388 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
H4wk, This actually happens everyday at the SAP labs signal in whitefield . The density of traffic is way too high to disperse through the junction in the tiny 60-90 seconds interval when the signal stays green, so they do this here everyday, especially during peak office-returning hours ~5-8pm. Traffic turning right is allowed to use this 'wrong side'.
For a brief period of time they placed dividers in between so no vehicles could use the 'wrong' side lane to take the right to go towards Hoody, at this signal. End result? Traffic jams which stretched all the way till TCS office and Vydehi hospital in the evening during rush hour.

After widespread public mayhem, they removed the divider barricades and vehicles are allowed to use the right lane under police supervision.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 13:39   #3502
Distinguished - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,504
Thanked: 3,515 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
H4wk, This actually happens everyday at the SAP labs signal in whitefield . The density of traffic is way too high to disperse through the junction in the tiny 60-90 seconds interval when the signal stays green, so they do this here everyday, especially during office peak returning hours ~5-8pm. Traffic turning right is allowed to use this 'wrong side'.
this is not the right thing to do! maybe they think they're easing the traffic congestion but all they're are doing is shifting the problem from one signal to the other!

when a signal goes green, there are x number of vehicles that may pass though the signal before it goes red. however, if more vehicles are let through (twice or thrice the number), it creates chaos and that's exactly what's happening in Bangalore!!

sparing few cops, the rest have no clue about traffic management! on the NGEF bypass signal, the cops allow free-left-turn for the traffic from BEML road when the traffic from OMR is moving! this just adds to the chaos!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 13:53   #3503
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 3,482 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is not the right thing to do! maybe they think they're easing the traffic congestion but all they're are doing is shifting the problem from one signal to the other!

when a signal goes green, there are x number of vehicles that may pass though the signal before it goes red. however, if more vehicles are let through (twice or thrice the number), it creates chaos and that's exactly what's happening in Bangalore!!

sparing few cops, the rest have no clue about traffic management! on the NGEF bypass signal, the cops allow free-left-turn for the traffic from BEML road when the traffic from OMR is moving! this just adds to the chaos!
I agree, its not the right thing to do. In this spot though, half of the traffic turns left, and another half turns right. The roads here are very broad on either side, so it doesn't actually cause any jam at adjacent junctions in this particular place. Problem here is, like benbsb29 said, employees and cabs of all companies here use this single road to disperse out of whitefield area (no other route), so the SAP labs road although quite broad, will not be able to withstand this density of traffic at rush hour. Perhaps they should have planned multiple exit routes from this area right from the beginning. Wishful thinking
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 14:12   #3504
BHPian
 
PatchyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 822
Thanked: 1,187 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

And irresponsible cabbies get on the wrong side and then decide to turn left at the signal, causing problems.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 14:16   #3505
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 3,482 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Ever since the pipeline work started, I have been using this route:

Varthur Rd to Old Airport Rd - Google Maps

This is about 3km longer, and the road is a bit narrow, bumpy and pothole ridden in parts, but you can do the off-Airport Road stretch in about 15 minutes (compared to 45 minutes to 1 hour via the main road).

Now, if they open the Challaghata-EGL-IRR road for traffic, I will save a further 30 minutes that I lose due to the two signals at Wind Tunnel Road junction and Manipal Hospital.
I tried this route yesterday and today, and have to admit there is hardly any congestion here. It is mostly a free ride all the way from IRR / Manipal hospital to Marathahalli and vice versa. Thanks to you, I now take 1 hour from Jayanagar to ITPL, compared to 2 hours I used to take till yesterday.

I went by car one day and bike on another day. Looks like the route is more suitable for bikes than cars. At stretches it is quite narrow and overtaking tractors/other village vehicles here was quite a task in the car. At one point there is some kind of small concrete wall passage where only 1 car can pass. Even 2 way traffic with cars is a bit troublesome in stretches. With the bike, it is a superb route where we can slip away in and out of potholed stretches.

P.S - Although the detour route is only 3km more than the usual HAL road, I got the feeling that I am doing some countryside drive for very long, like ~10km. It was only when I saw the odometer at Manipal that I realized the extra distance was just ~3km more. .
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 09:01   #3506
BHPian
 
superutp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I noticed this while driving through Jaynagar 4th Main Road, which is that straight road all the way to lalbagh. It has construction going on for the Metro so there are patches of narrow bad roads, where only one car can fit through (space for 1 and a half cars)

So while driving over these patches of road, normal driving behavior is to slow down to say 10-20 kmph and negotiate the bumps, which most of the time results in zig zagging. Now what happens is these bikes and sometimes autos think I am giving space for them to overtake when I am going to one extreme end to avoid a bump. End result they try to squeeze in and I am forced to 'shut the door' on them.

The point is that its very dangerous and I need to keep looking into all the mirrors installed on my car apart from negotiating those bumps as well.

Why is everyone fascinated with squeezing everyone else! It's almost like they aren't even aware they are doing it.

Last edited by superutp : 27th June 2012 at 09:03.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 09:28   #3507
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 552
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Hi, not sure if it is the right thread but feel you guys might have an answer. Is there any public transport available on NICE road that will take me to NH4 (Mumbai side) directly from Electronic city or the other way round? The reason I ask is, if I come from Mumbai in Volvo, can I skip the city and directly come to Electronic City?
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 09:42   #3508
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,343
Thanked: 784 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Hi, not sure if it is the right thread but feel you guys might have an answer. Is there any public transport available on NICE road that will take me to NH4 (Mumbai side) directly from Electronic city or the other way round? The reason I ask is, if I come from Mumbai in Volvo, can I skip the city and directly come to Electronic City?
No bus service along the NICE corridor at-least for now from what I know. Your best bet is to take the VOLVO from the city bus stand.Else you can always avail the VOLVO service along the ORR and get off at Silk board junction. From Silk board take a VOLVO again to E-city.
rjstyles69 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 09:58   #3509
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
The point is that its very dangerous and I need to keep looking into all the mirrors installed on my car apart from negotiating those bumps as well.

Why is everyone fascinated with squeezing everyone else! It's almost like they aren't even aware they are doing it.
Coming to Bangalore has been the best decision for improving my reflexes, as well as sharpening my observation power! Also, my anticipatory powers have increased multifold, as I expect that at every small street cutting into the main road, the world's next big World Drifting Competition champion to grace the side of my car (and, fortunately, even my bike) with an autograph, if not the front or the back!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 10:38   #3510
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 3,482 Times
Default Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Now what happens is these bikes and sometimes autos think I am giving space for them to overtake when I am going to one extreme end to avoid a bump. End result they try to squeeze in and I am forced to 'shut the door' on them.

The point is that its very dangerous and I need to keep looking into all the mirrors installed on my car apart from negotiating those bumps as well.

Why is everyone fascinated with squeezing everyone else! It's almost like they aren't even aware they are doing it.
yeah, superb point. This whole problem comes due to lack of patience I guess. Everyone wants to be ahead of everyone else, as though its a race. Even a metre gained over another vehicle is assumed to be a victory.

If there is a gap created, they squeeze in and go ahead. Bikers, indicabs, merus and TTs are the main culprits usually. The worst part is they have no judgement about their vehicle's size v/s the gap, and end up damaging our rides.

The road you are referring to, is Nanda theatre road I think, with parks on both sides. We see this squeezing problem everywhere- at a signal, stop next to the divider with 2 feet of gap between your car and divider. Hundred 2 wheelers will go past you with a sense of victory, with at least 30 of those hitting their handlebars to your car mirror .

Worse still, at a signal, when we keep 3-4 feet of gap with the car in front, these morons will squeeze between the 2 cars, often scraping their footpegs or crash guards against our bumpers. I usually maintain gap with the next car especially on an upward incline, just in case the driver ahead is a newbie who doesn't do the brake release/ de-clutch + accelerate quickly and slides down backwards. Before he/she does this, a few bikers will have squeezed through *lol*. Impatience is everywhere.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants. sajo Street Experiences 1986 21st August 2017 21:28
Help on a sticky situation in Bangalore acroback Street Experiences 25 28th January 2013 23:41
Bangalore Traffic Police post accident videos on FB -Hope people follow traffic rules Wanderer78 Street Experiences 3 25th November 2011 11:21
Bangalore Traffic police updates traffic at 40 odd junctions of city on its web site. balechaparka The Indian Car Scene 30 19th August 2011 12:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks