Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2016, 12:32   #3826
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Please show me the pic of the gear knob and how much did you pay for the thing.

Also why didnt you go for Amazon battery if Exide was not available?
I got my gear knob replaced on warranty. My silver paint on the knob had worn off, and also the plastic and rubber parts started moving apart. I shall pull up a pic soon.

I was not keen on AMARON, my SA also suggested EXIDE. I was able to learn that 800 Ahms was pretty sufficient. What is your take on the same ?
Old 7th April 2016, 12:45   #3827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
I got my gear knob replaced on warranty. My silver paint on the knob had worn off, and also the plastic and rubber parts started moving apart. I shall pull up a pic soon.

I was not keen on AMARON, my SA also suggested EXIDE. I was able to learn that 800 Ahms was pretty sufficient. What is your take on the same ?
Side effect of shopping too much from AmaZon. Sorry i meant AmaRon.

Since most of my cars had Amaron batteries and never faced any issues hence i went with Amaron in XUV too. Nothing against Exide just that i have been happy with the other.

Also my gear knob too have gone for a toss related to paint. Infact most of the interiors where this cheap paint is like that now. Thinking of having it wrapped from outside.
Old 7th April 2016, 12:50   #3828
BHPian

The seat belt buckle on the passenger side seat belt in the front in my W6 has turned towards the B Pillar (the opposite side to where its supposed to be). This is making wearing the seat belt quite inconveinent.
Anyone knows how can that be corrected. will it require some major repair or part replacement?
Also the chrome on the mahindra logo on the steering wheel has started to peel off and is looking very ugly alongwith few scratches on the gear knob.
As per fellow BHPians the Gear knob can be replaced under warranty. What can be done with the logo on the steering wheel?
Old 7th April 2016, 12:55   #3829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Also my gear knob too have gone for a toss related to paint. Infact most of the interiors where this cheap paint is like that now. Thinking of having it wrapped from outside.
Silver paint across the interior of the XUV are a tad below par.

They are showing signs of age. The newer one does not have the silver paint and I feel it goes well with its all brown/purple paint like we see on post facelift models.

you should easily get them on warranty, or simply write an email to mahindra with the pic of the old knob. they might help you in getting a replacement.

It costs around 1k if you are not going for warranty.
Old 7th April 2016, 13:05   #3830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Silver paint across the interior of the XUV are a tad below par.

They are showing signs of age. The newer one does not have the silver paint and I feel it goes well with its all brown/purple paint like we see on post facelift models.

you should easily get them on warranty, or simply write an email to mahindra with the pic of the old knob. they might help you in getting a replacement.

It costs around 1k if you are not going for warranty.
I have had many things changed under warranty till date hence i am tired now, infact these guys fix one thing and ruins something else. Also the service station is very far from my place.
I think i will shop for a knob replacement and get it fixed locally or maybe do a DIY
Old 7th April 2016, 13:22   #3831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
The seat belt buckle on the passenger side seat belt in the front in my W6 has turned towards the B Pillar (the opposite side to where its supposed to be). This is making wearing the seat belt quite inconveinent.
Anyone knows how can that be corrected. will it require some major repair or part replacement?
Also the chrome on the mahindra logo on the steering wheel has started to peel off and is looking very ugly alongwith few scratches on the gear knob.
As per fellow BHPians the Gear knob can be replaced under warranty. What can be done with the logo on the steering wheel?
You have to rotate the seat belt buckle by 180 degree. Since the slot where the seat belt goes in is pretty thin and flat you should use some engine oil to lube the area properly and use a bit of muscle power to twist the buckle around the lubed seat belt. I did this once in my i20 . If it does not work then go to MASS
Old 7th April 2016, 14:43   #3832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansumaan View Post
What is the warranty on the tyres on the XUV ? I am seeing a sidewall crack on the LHS front tyre.
-My car is 1.5 yrs old and it came with Apollo Apterra from factory.
-I have run 25k till now.
- No wheel alignment /tyre rotation done till now.
I did not see any specific mention about the tyres in the warranty booklet .But Apollo website mentioned 2 yrs warranty http://www.apollotyres.com/two-year-...-warranty.html

I am not sure if this can be considered under warranty . should I replace this tyre to spare ?
- Ansuman
Sorry Ansumaan, side wall crack won't be honored, since this would be treated as wear and tear and not manufacturing defect. This tyre needs to be thrown off, that's it. And please replace immediately if not done already.
me_sid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 14:56   #3833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
I did it myself. You have to start from one end of the belt and twist it at the end and make pass through the buckle at the end .

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Sorry Ansumaan, side wall crack won't be honored, since this would be treated as wear and tear and not manufacturing defect. This tyre needs to be thrown off, that's it. And please replace immediately if not done already.
Thanks Sid. I have replaced the cracked one with the spare. Will try my luck with the MASS this weekend .
BTY whats the suggestion for a new tyre Bridgestone/Micheline ? Is there a significant price difference ? I had used Michelin in my previous car and was happy with it.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th April 2016 at 17:35. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 11th April 2016, 14:31   #3834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
I own the new age XUV W10 which I bought in December 2015. I am not sure if this qualifies as a niggle but would surely like to get the experts on this forum to comment.
  1. Whenever I go over a speed bump or pot hole and if it causes the vehicle to wobble from one side to the other, I hear a knocking sound from under the vehicle . I also feel it as feedback on my steering. It is almost as if there is a part which is swinging up and down like a spring or pendulum. I checked the under side of the car and could not find anything odd.
  2. I find the gap between the hood/bonnet of the car and the body to be quite large. I compared it to my neighbors W8 and felt that the gap in my W10 is wider. I tried closing the bonnet to make sure it is properly shut but to no avail. Not sure if anyone else has this issue or if am getting picky
Your comments and feedback are most welcome.
I would like to provide an update on the issue in point no. 1 from my last post. I had my first service done at Anant Cars (Banerghatta road, Bangalore) last weekend. He replaced what is is called a stability bar bush on the front wheels which cost me INR 160. This has solved the thump/knocking noise issue completely. I have driven the XUV for about 20 kms over bad roads since the service and it behaves well (fingers crossed). When I enquired as to why this should happen to a car that is 4 months old, the service assistant could not give me a satisfactory answer. My theory is that it was defective and worn out from day 1 and me being naive/a novice, I did not report if back immediately. Fortunately, the monetary damage is minimal and the issue has been solved. Should I provide this feedback to Mahindra or maybe they will not care for something minor?

On point 2, they have readjusted the bonnet fitting, the gap seems to have reduced but still seems too large to my eye. I compared with other XUV's, seems to be normal in comparison.

No other issues or niggles to report, my ODO says the XUV has been driven for 3050 km.
Old 11th April 2016, 15:13   #3835
BANNED

Quote:
Should I provide this feedback to Mahindra or maybe they will not care for something minor?
No harm in communicating the issue to Mahindra so that it is kept noted and the real issue is traced down. This may not help you but would help the next in line customers.

If this issue is recurring, they may issue a recall too. You never know. Or am I expecting too much??

Quote:
I compared with other XUV's, seems to be normal in comparison.
These guys need some serious training and also some staff who work with their eyes open rather than manufacturing cars just for figures and rolling it out of the assembly line.

Till date I have checked 18 XUV's (all New age) and one thing I was surprised is the inconsistent fitting of the upper glove box lid and the other issue that was common was some gap in between the rear door shut lines (Some cars had it in rear left some had it in rear right).

These guys are consistently inconsistent in fit and finish. Can the head operations send their staff to Maruti Suzuki to get them trained on the fit and finish part. I know Maruti Suzuki isn't the best in terms but they are much better IMO.

EDIT: But whatever the niggles be, I am totally in love with this SUV.

Last edited by a4anurag : 11th April 2016 at 15:16.
Old 11th April 2016, 17:33   #3836
BHPian

My XUV is 3yrs and 4 months old. Inside door handles of both the front doors is scratched. I believe it has majorly to do with the finger rings which both me and my wife wear. But anyways the quality of the door handle is also nothing great. I never had this issue with any of my earlier cars. I was anyways planning to get it replaced during my next service but after reading couple of posts here I am curious to know whether it can be replaced under warranty. Please note that I have an extended warranty for my car for 2 more years.

cheers!
Old 15th April 2016, 13:46   #3837
BHPian

I was hoping I would not have to post in this thread so soon (March 2016 XUV with ~1600kms done), but here goes:

1. Cheun Cheun sound from the boot area (atleast that is what I think) when the car goes over speed breakers or potholes. Not consistent but is there more often than not. It sounds metallic and I am not sure if it is something in the tool box or a lose nut. The tools are as they come- in their original packing. This noise started when I went over an umarked flyover ~40kmph.

2. Vibrations from the front passenger window area on acceleration and driving at a good speed. Today morning the noise came even when I was in the company parking lot, and about to switch the ignition off. Pressed the area near the door lock (from inside) and the noise disappeared. Will see if it comes back.

3. Windshield washer is not spraying the water. It worked 3 weeks back. To be sure, I refilled the tank. The net/ filter makes it a slow process, but I am sure that the reservoir is not empty. When I pull the stalk towards me, the wiper moves 3 times, as mentioned in the manual, but no water

4. Last night, when cleaning the vehicle, I was wiping the rear windshield wiper blade- and the thin metallic strip that runs along the length of the rubber strip (that wipes the glass), came off! Managed to put it back (crudely), not sure it can be put properly or I have to buy a new blade

5. At times, when I slot in the 3rd gear, the vehicle tends to run- like say, if you have your cruise control set to 80, and yo activate it when you are at 60. At first I thought that maybe I have pressed the cruise control by mistake, but now I am conscious of where I place my hand on the steering wheel. Not sure if this is the Turbo kicking in. I used to drive a petrol swift prior to the XUV, so this is my first exposure to Turbo, Diesel etc.

6. At times, feel a small judder/vibration when I shift to 4th gear from the 3rd gear. The speed is usually around 40kmph, and rpm is within 2k. Again, not sure if this is an area of concern

7. Not exactly a niggle, but am curious. While reversing in my apartment, I managed to get hassled over something, and backed into a pillar . I have a rear bull bar, and while that has suffered a small dent, what is surprising is that the paint has come off at 2 places on the bumper. Please refer to the attached pic. The pillar had nothing else that could have touched the bumper. Can't figure out why the paint has come out. Will see if a minor touch up can be done during the first service.

Cheers,
Ajay
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-optr0383.jpg  

Last edited by ajayclicks : 15th April 2016 at 13:48.
Old 18th April 2016, 16:08   #3838
BHPian

I have been driving around my W10 for about 4 months. On 2 occasions I have done longer drives i.e. Bangalore-Chennai (6 hrs) and Bangalore-Bekal (8 hrs). On both occasions, the 2nd row passengers complained of inadequate air conditioning. They told me that there was not enough air flow from the 2nd row aircon vents. I had auto climate control set to 20 degrees and my fingers were literally freezing (since I was the driver) while second row passengers kept complaining of feeling hot.

I know that there is a "Rear AC" button in the XUV, however the manual says that it is meant to control AC for 3rd row passengers.

I did check the 2nd row AC's and found that while it is giving out cold/cool air the air pressure is not enough to be felt by 2nd row passengers. It does not feel like the front row vents which literally blow out cool air. I guess this is by design for the 2nd row?

Has anyone on this forum ever faced this issue? I am not sure if it qualifies as an issue or if this is the general behavior of the XUV. As an additional measure I have bought simple magnetic window shades to keep the sun out on hot days and this has helped 2nd row passengers.
Old 18th April 2016, 16:24   #3839
BANNED

Quote:
I did check the 2nd row AC's and found that while it is giving out cold/cool air the air pressure is not enough to be felt by 2nd row passengers. It does not feel like the front row vents which literally blow out cool air. I guess this is by design for the 2nd row?
When the Rear AC button was OFF, the cooling isn't sufficient as you say and the air blowing off the 2nd row vents weren't much.

Can you can check if the air flow increases in the 2nd row vents if the Rear AC button is pressed? I know the manual says Rear AC is only for 3rd row seats but it is just my doubt.
Old 18th April 2016, 16:46   #3840
BHPian

Quote:

Has anyone on this forum ever faced this issue? I am not sure if it qualifies as an issue or if this is the general behavior of the XUV. As an additional measure I have bought simple magnetic window shades to keep the sun out on hot days and this has helped 2nd row passengers.
2nd row ac performance is a major flaw in xuv.What i do is, turn on 3rd row ac as well even if nobody sits there.This helps to cool the car faster and less cribbing from 2nd row passengers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks