Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2016, 18:45   #3886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
I think it entered one hour mode. Its just a guess from my side.
Rahul - what is this one hour mode. I have seen that in the display when key is removed, but never understood what it is
Old 5th June 2016, 19:06   #3887
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpriyesh View Post
Today I experienced a niggle with my XUV. Infotainment system was not switching off even after the ignition key was removed. It started working fine after driving for few more kms. Has anyone else experienced this??
Which is your XUV? The new age or the previous generation? Currently i have faced a problem with the infotainment system not turning on even after repeated attempts and suddenly comes to life, Mine is the New age one, Might be solved in the new infotainment update.
Old 5th June 2016, 20:07   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Which is your XUV? The new age or the previous generation? Currently i have faced a problem with the infotainment system not turning on even after repeated attempts and suddenly comes to life, Mine is the New age one, Might be solved in the new infotainment update.
Tanveer- mine is a 2014 model (previous generation)
Old 6th June 2016, 00:13   #3889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tanveer- mine is a 2014 model (previous generation)
Oh, I had not faced such an issue with the infotainment system in my previous generation XUV, Yes there were restarting issues where the system would restart on its on randomly, Keep a check if it happens again, If it does push for a warranty claim and get the system replaced, I had my infotainment system replaced twice.
Old 6th June 2016, 07:44   #3890
BHPian

Quote:
Rahul - what is this one hour mode. I have seen that in the display when key is removed, but never understood what it is
In this mode you can keep continue using your infotainment system for one hour even after removing the key.
Old 6th June 2016, 08:39   #3891
BHPian

Quote:
In this mode you can keep continue using your infotainment system for one hour even after removing the key.
I was searching for this mode in Google and found an earlier post in team bhp mentioning this. It says in "one hour mode" system will remember the last music played for one hour. Not sure if that is correct. Also there is no option to disable this mode.
Old 6th June 2016, 10:30   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was searching for this mode in Google and found an earlier post in team bhp mentioning this. It says in "one hour mode" system will remember the last music played for one hour. Not sure if that is correct. Also there is no option to disable this mode.
Quote:
Hey guys, the one hour mode is enabled when you switch off the ignition, not when you remove the key out. As soon as you remove the key out all electrical related systems are shut off and you can't access anything. And no option to disable these features.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 16:20   #3893
BHPian

I don't know if any of you owners has faced this problem, I have a jul2015 W8FWD and have recently completed my first service (job compulsions for this low mileage).
Whenever the beast is in 4th gear and if your speed is below 45 and you press the accelerator pedal down and the beast starts gaining speed at around exactly 1750 rpm and speed between 55-60 the gear shift rattles although for a second or two but it is noticeable. I showed it to the service guys and they opened up the panel below the lever and packed the selector and shifter mechanism with grease. The problem reduced for a while and again resurfaced. The vibrating sound was quite annoying.
I have finally found the solution to the problem and if anybody is interested will be happy to share.

Note from Moderator:We request you to post the complete solution in one go, please do not SPAM with content like “I have finally found the solution to the problem and if anybody is interested will be happy to share”.
We request your co-operation in maintaining the quality of our forum. Thanks

Mods please note am cross posting here with a few changes as members are requesting for information. I did not intend to spam and not post the solution as I thought it would be a one off problem and solution shared through PM

it just struck me that the rattling is due to play between some parts. I had never seen the mechanism below the lever so it was a speculation. When I reported the problem at service they took me on a TD after their so called rectification and when asked how they solved it they replied by putting grease.
Now the problem did subside for some time so I deduced that grease had worked but must have failed due to it getting liquified at higher temp in fact grease will flow even under normal sun.
So the hunt began to find something that retained its consistency and lubrication at high temperatures. The solution was to use silicone grease since it is thicker, stays where you put it, doesn't stain or leave an oily residue, is colourless and odourless and most importantly can withstand temp upto 400 deg celsius. This same grease is used to lubricate O rings for high temp and pressure applications.
I got hold of high vacuum silicone grease of wacker company one of the best as per reviews and went back to the ASS. I asked the SA to use silicone grease instead of normal grease. He was skeptical but agreed. This time I was present while they carried out the job. Sorry didn't click any pics as I wasn't sure if it would work.
The technician first removed the plastic bit onto the left of the hand brake while sitting on the driver seat and then slowly he pried out the entire black panel from below the arm rest to just below the cubby hole. You can't remove the panel until you have unbuttoned and loosened the Velcro of the boot cover even after that there is a cable attached to it for parking brake indicator which if required can be disconnected after this both the shifting and selecting mechanisms are visible.
The following things exist for me as a layman:-
A. The gear lever sits on a kind of ball and socket joint which is mounted on an aluminium frame.
B. Towards the engine side of the joint there are two plastic arms which are attached to the sides of the lever one of these carries the selector cable and the other the shifter cable.
C. Both the cables are connected to the arm through a spring loaded telescopic mechanism which can be adjusted to control the free play. A plastic lock is present which stays in place due to spring tension. This is probably what Tharian has also referred in his post.
D. I was appalled at the shifting and selecting mechanism as they seemed very fragile.

I found that whatever grease the ASS had put had shifted location and also melted leaving oily mess but for the love of god since there is no beige coloured plastic or fabric there everything and every bit of the grease was removed using cotton waste. Once I was satisfied with their cleaning I handed him the silicone grease it was about 25 grams in a jar. The grease was applied at the ball &socket joint, each and every sliding and swivelling plastic part, on the springs, the telescopic mechanism attaching the cables( the cables are not visible) after application the lever was slotted into all positions and it was confirmed that all nooks and crannies were covered. unlike conventional grease silicone is thicker and requires a thin layer and being transparent it can be ensured that it has reached the intended places. The panels were refitted and all purpose cleaner ensured that no technician handiwork spots were visible. The ASS wanted to go for a TD which I refused as was short on time. On the way back I tried the same 4th gear method and the rattling was gone. I have driven a few Kms after the fix, the rattling has completely gone and even if I keep my hand on the lever vibration is no longer felt. Moreover I have found the gear shifting to be more precise and less notchy also earlier there was was an audible sound during slotting which has also reduced considerably.
My verdict:-
Anyone facing the issue to go for this fix blindfolded as it has made my life easier as that nagging rattle is gone for good. It can be a DIY but not for the faint hearted as there are no screws to remove the panels, it is all snap fit and one forced tug may break a lock or two and marr the fit & finish.
The gear slotting is much better than before.
As regards the silicone grease it can be easily sourced saw a few tubes available on Amazon or can be procured from industrial or auto parts supplier.
All the best and goodbye rattling

Last edited by Zappo : 15th June 2016 at 19:29.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2016, 18:24   #3894
BHPian

[quote=RajeVenu;3994974
I have finally found the solution to the problem and if anybody is interested will be happy to share.

[/QUOTE]

Pls share the solution to this problem here. Eventhough we might not have faced th exact problem, still could use this for any reference to any similar problems.

FundaG
Old 12th June 2016, 20:01   #3895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
I don't know if any of you owners has faced this problem, I have a jul2015 W8FWD and have recently completed my first service (job compulsions for this low mileage).
Whenever the beast is in 4th gear and if your speed is below 45 and you press the accelerator pedal down and the beast starts gaining speed at around exactly 1750 rpm and speed between 55-60 the gear shift rattles although for a second or two but it is noticeable. I showed it to the service guys and they opened up the panel below the lever and packed the selector and shifter mechanism with grease. The problem reduced for a while and again resurfaced. The vibrating sound was quite annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Pls share the solution to this problem here. Eventhough we might not have faced th exact problem, still could use this for any reference to any similar problems.

FundaG
If I remember, this issue was reported in thread some time ago and the resolution as well.

There is bolt at the bottom of the gear lever which needs to be tightened if I am right.
Old 13th June 2016, 09:55   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone facing the issue to go for this fix blindfolded as it has made my life easier as that nagging rattle is gone for good. It can be a DIY but not for the faint hearted as there are no screws to remove the panels, it is all snap fit and one forced tug may break a lock or two and marr the fit & finish.
The gear slotting is much better than before.
As regards the silicone grease it can be easily sourced saw a few tubes available on Amazon or can be procured from industrial or auto parts supplier.
All the best and goodbye rattling
Thanks bro.. By the way which brand did you purchase. I find different options for high vacuum silicon grease used for different purposes. If you can share the details of the product brand and type, it would be great.

FundaG
Old 13th June 2016, 10:54   #3897
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
as I thought it would be a one off problem and solution shared through PM
No sharing via PMs please. If that was what we wanted, we'd have started an email service in 2004, not a forum.

A PM helps one person. A public post helps thousands .

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 17:14   #3898
BHPian

@GTO point noted for compliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
Thanks bro.. By the way which brand did you purchase. I find different options for high vacuum silicon grease used for different purposes. If you can share the details of the product brand and type, it would be great.

FundaG
I had used the brand from a company called wacker it has its production unit located at 24 parganas Calcutta, I had surfed the net and found this multinational brand. I am out of station right now I will post a picture of the empty jar to you When I get back. Not that others are bad go for the one that has a large temperature range mine was for use in -40 to 300 deg C. Ask around, in metros sourcing this would not be a problem as it is also used as O ring lubricant. It has the consistency of Vaseline jelly but doesn't flow as easily. Believe me it really worked for me I would urge you to try it out if you are also as particular about that niggling rattle. It is working fine for last 20 days and a few hundred KMs. I will post a long term report also. I think M&M should address this issue from their end rather than customers.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 20:13   #3899
BHPian

Hi guys,

The gear lever vibrates and create a subtle rattle sound in my W10 too in 4th gear while accelerating but it is minor and if I keep the RPM high it does not occur.

Even then I opened up the panel along the lever and cello taped all rods which might have a chance to come together while gear shift and create a vibrating rattle. The cello tape was put along the rods in spiral way.

Similarly I have also cello taped the panel gaps to stop the creaking sounds of plastic rubbing each other.

After doing these, the sounds are 99% gone. It feels so good with no unwanted sounds.
Old 14th June 2016, 20:12   #3900
BHPian

Faced my first niggles a couple of weeks back, just when I was starting on a long drive to Tirupati from Bangalore.

I had purchased an OBD II adapter on ebay earlier. This I connected to the car & synced to my Nexus 5 phone via bluetooth. Car started & drove normally for 10km till I reached a fuel station where I stopped for refuelling.

As it my habit, I switched off the engine, went to the fuel dispenser for the tank-up, completed the payment, came back into the driver seat & started the car. On engaging the gear to R, I felt a jerk. Moving the lever to D, there was another jerk. HDC & HHC failed error alerts popped up a second later.

I tried the normal troubleshooting procedure of switch-off, wait, switch-on for a couple of times but the errors kept coming back along with the jerks when trying to engage D or R modes.

As the only new component was the OBD II adapter, I immediately disconnected it & these errors never occurred again.

Did anyone try using OBD II adapter for their XUV AT? Do you get similar errors? Or is mine an isolated case where the problem is with the OBD adapter?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks