Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:31   #4036
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

So its 5th Birthday of my Silverstreak. The reason i am posting it here is so that i can document all that things that went wrong and how they have been holding up since then.

I had a terrible experience while buying my W6 when it was launched in 2011 from the dealer (Koncept Mahindra Okhla). Since it (XUV) was a rage at that time hence i had to deal with them. But i took some steps which ultimately helped all XUV owners down the line. i.e Insurance: Dealer wanted to take insurance from them only and not from outside, hence they were charging way too much. Personally took this to Anand Mahindra on this and WON. Things changed after that for all.
Also went ahead with other members and got service interval changed from 6 months interval to one year.
So it was not a rosy picture in the beginning. But then i had no other choice rather than fight it.

Now came the ownership experience.

It was my first long trip with my Silverstreak. At night just before leaving for 600 km journey, i stopped at a pump early morning to have tank filled. To my shock, just when it was about to get to max level, fuel started to leak from under the body. It took half hour or so before it stopped so i guess there was a hole or something on the upper side of tank. Went ahead with the trip and made sure not to fill up to max. Once back had it replaced under warranty.

Later on Silver Box issue started popping up. Not just me, almost all started reporting here I too was not spared and it was replaced once in these five years (Touchwood), though it was reported that few had to replace them twice or thrice in there ownership.

I had a major trouble with headlights conking off now and then. There was a time when the entire right hand side lights were not working (Low/high/fog lights). For a month had to travel like a scooter at night ( you know what i mean) before getting it replaced. This issue went on for good year and a half till the time they replaced wiring of the entire lights (thats what i was told). Since then no issues at all (again touchwood).

Apart from these, i had and still have alignment issue that almost everyone faced or are facing. Done everything from alignment to balancing to air pressure etc. nothing works. So now i have better muscles in my right arm compared to left arm

One thing that i have to say. All this while, i never had any engine issues at all (again touchwood). Its like a ROCK. Will take you where ever you want to go without a fuss. Electronics can play a bit, for e.g. ABS light comes on on its own and then goes off but nothing with engine.

Things i like the most.

Cornering lights, its a boon in our country and it has one of the best throw compared to European version of using fog lights. I feel XUV have a much better throw and effect.

Engine pulling power. No words for it, especially 3rd and 4th gear.

Looks: I still like and love the older version looks. Current one looks more tamed and boring (sorry just my thought so no offence please).

Space: More than you want. Just one wish that never came through was adjustable middle row so that we can make more leg room for third row. (maybe we might get it in new version down the line).

All in all, Loved living with it all these 5 years. Will hope to see this through another 2 years at least (touchwood AGAIN). Currently running on new set of tyres from Maxxis. Got it serviced from outside at 70K interval for only 8K including all filters,oil changed and that too at HOME.(yes there is this service where they come to your place office or home and get your car serviced).

Here are the current pics of my beast after i did a delhi mumbai run.

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-imag1401.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-imag1402.jpg

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-imag1397.jpg

@Mods: I am posting all this here as you can see its more of issues i faced all this while and how it went through. If you think it should be in other thread like Long term ownership, then please do so. Thanks.

Last edited by Zappo : 7th November 2016 at 15:59. Reason: Limit yourself to a maximum of 2 smilies per post please.
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:49   #4037
BANNED

Hi,
how does the avg mileage reading work ?
I have a 3 month old XUV AT and the reading is showing as 13kmpl. which means on a tankful (72L) one can get 900+.
however I am getting 750-775 kms which means 10-11 KMPL.

can anyone help clarify this puzzle

thx
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:51   #4038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1017 View Post
Hi,
I have a 3 month old XUV AT and the reading is showing as 13kmpl. which means on a tankful (72L) one can get 900+.

thx
Reading on the infotainment system, Will not be accurate, It will only give an estimate, Best way to calculate is via tank full method, Also Since your car is just 3 months old, I assume you haven't done your first 5000 kms servicing done, I have noticed in both my XUV's the fuel efficiency had increased the most after the 10k servicing, Along with the engine getting smoother.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 23:15   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1017 View Post
Hi,

thx
I have a XUV AT, which has done 7480 km in 4 months, the mileage I am getting is 13 in Highway and 7.5 in city. This is using tankful method. I say in Bangalore and my daily commute is 48km from home to office.
Old 4th November 2016, 10:25   #4040
BHPian

My ASC suggested to get cutout with 100/90 bulb to address weak low beam. Has anyone tried? Any feedback on improvement
Old 4th November 2016, 10:50   #4041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
My ASC suggested to get cutout with 100/90 bulb to address weak low beam. Has anyone tried? Any feedback on improvement
A cut out with 100/90 generally comes in the H4 specification. I wonder how the ASC suggested this when the bulb specification for XUV headlights are H7 for low beam and high beam.

Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions-xuv-bulbs.jpg

You do get H7 cut outs and bulbs with 80W (Philips) and 100W (Hella) that you can install. PM me if you need help to install it.
Old 7th November 2016, 15:24   #4042
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
So its 5th Birthday of my Silverstreak. The reason i am posting it here is so that i can document all that things that went wrong and how they have been holding up since then.

Apart from these, i had and still have alignment issue that almost everyone faced or are facing. Done everything from alignment to balancing to air pressure etc. nothing works. So now i have better muscles in my right arm compared to left arm
Thanks for consolidating all those nostalgic issues with XUV. Earlier pages of this thread captures most of the discussion we had on these issues.

I sorted left pulling by going for off A.S.S alignment. The car has done about 30000 kms since then including a drive to Sumdoh and back, no issues. I don't have alignment values as my son got it done and teenagers don't believe in carrying the baggage.

Only other issue I had was repeated conking off of silver box after car came out of warranty, which finally got sorted when I raised the matter to Mahindra Care, as local A.S.S for Nippon and Mahindra were trying to play ping pong with my case.
Old 7th November 2016, 16:07   #4043
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpreetsingh View Post
Thanks Ajay.

Earlier it showed a Value ( 26/28 etc.) Now it shows OK like the info unit. So earlier I knew even in OK, if its around 26 or so, I have to get the air filled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I use an android phone, and when I checked yesterday, mine still shows the individual tire pressure. My app is for the refreshed XUV.
I think this is an issue that shows up with time. I think those crappy chinese tyretronics sensors stop reporting the pressure. I am seeing this since last 6 months on my front left tyre. Other 3 are doing fine. I still have some time left for my 5 years of total warranty to expire. Wondering whether to take the car one of these days to the A.S.S. and demand a replacement sensor under warranty. Problem is that the A.S.S. are so badly loaded that they just refuse to look into anything other than preappointed service requests. Also, with warranty at its fag end they just try their level best to shrug out of their warranty obligations. Nonetheless, those I can fight out. Its just that I am too lazy as also the fact that I know that eventually one by one the others will also start conking, most probably once the warranty runs out. I don't think I am going to chase them everytime one of these conks off in future.
Old 7th November 2016, 16:50   #4044
BANNED

Thx.
My XUV is approaching its first service.
Can anyone advice me on which service is best in delhi NCR. I had purchased mine from koncept/synergy.
Old 9th November 2016, 15:25   #4045
BHPian

Just completed my 40K Service and a month to go before my 3 year warranty gets over.
In the last 6 month I have got both the rear doors & Fuel lid replaced due to rusting. India Garage helped in getting this replaced. After end of 3 years warranty one cannot claim any rust related issues, does any one else have faced this in the past? Are there any other areas prone to rusting that I should be aware of.
I am going to buy extended warranty but it does not covers many things.
Old 18th November 2016, 16:06   #4046
BHPian

I need to change the front wiper blades for my 2012 XUV 500 W8. I want to buy Hella Curvo wiper blades. Is the wiper specification for the 2012 model same as the new age XUV 500, or I need to be specific about the model, while buying the wiper blades? I want to buy online. Please advice.
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:19   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
I need to change the front wiper blades for my 2012 XUV 500 W8. I want to buy Hella Curvo wiper blades. Is the wiper specification for the 2012 model same as the new age XUV 500, or I need to be specific about the model, while buying the wiper blades? I want to buy online. Please advice.
Its the same across all models and years.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 17:17   #4048
BHPian

Today I took my new Age W10 XUV for a drive to Thiruvannamalai from Bangalore, strangly i noticed this issue..

In one of the place with lot of potholes, I shifted to 2nd gear but suddenly i noticed the steering got tight and I immediately noticed engine off, I immediately switch on again and continued, it happened again while traveling back, both time the vehicle speed was about 25-30kmph,
Is there any reason about this behavior?

-AM
Old 28th November 2016, 10:14   #4049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
In one of the place with lot of potholes, I shifted to 2nd gear but suddenly i noticed the steering got tight and I immediately noticed engine off, I immediately switch on again and continued, it happened again while traveling back, both time the vehicle speed was about 25-30 kmph,
Is there any reason about this behaviour?
It has never happened to me unless I was in very high gear. Its sometimes when you are not very attentive, you would be on 4th gear and believe being in 2nd. Thats when the engine stalls as we would be around 10 kmph or lower speed. I don't see any other possibilities unless you have discovered a new niggle.
Old 28th November 2016, 19:37   #4050
BHPian

Today, i noticed an issue with my New age XUV (W10) ICE, i was listening to radio while driving within city and strangely the audio volume kept decreasing suddenly and increasing again, i checked if speed sensing is enabled but no. is this an ICE issue?

-AM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks