Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 23:34   #4156
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevKalra View Post
It's a closed parking. If something would have fallen then the damage would have been near the caves part also like the glass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Did the car go for service anytime recent?

I can see that paint has chipped off at the location of the dent and just near the start of the glass of sunroof.
I see that the OP's location is Bangalore. Do you recollect hearing any thud or whatever while driving- perhaps a small branch/ twig fell on the roof. Not uncommon here, narrowly escaped a decent sized branch once in the bylanes of JP Nagar.
Old 15th March 2017, 06:31   #4157
BHPian

Don't recollect anything of this sort. Has anyone undergone such a damage and does after such repairs the sunroof fitting comes proper or not. As any minor gap will result in sunroof leaking in rainy season.
Old 15th March 2017, 11:21   #4158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't recollect anything of this sort. Has anyone undergone such a damage and does after such repairs the sunroof fitting comes proper or not. As any minor gap will result in sunroof leaking in rainy season.
Could it be an act of sabotage or some unscrupulous element trying to gain entry in the car through the sun-roof? He must have used some sharp tool like a crow bar to cause this kind of damage. A tree branch or another falling object cannot make the roof to cave in such a way. This to me looks like someone trying to gain a forced entry into the car through the sunroof. Does your parking have CCTV coverage?
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 12:05   #4159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Could it be an act of sabotage or some unscrupulous element trying to gain entry in the car through the sun-roof? He must have used some sharp tool like a crow bar to cause this kind of damage. A tree branch or another falling object cannot make the roof to cave in such a way. This to me looks like someone trying to gain a forced entry into the car through the sunroof. Does your parking have CCTV coverage?
I too believe that this kind of damage looks more like a forced entry by someone using a rod. The way its bended and the paint chips clearly suggest the same.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2017, 14:37   #4160
BHPian

Yes. I agree. The car parking is not completely covered by the CCTV but one part of driveway is covered. I'm in process of collecting data to see if something can be figured out. Thanks, Sanjeev
Old 22nd March 2017, 12:03   #4161
BHPian

Any idea how much the brake pads cost for XUV? My front brake pads changed and they are charging me 5300/-

Also he said there are four brake pads at the front, two each side. Is this true?

Edit:
I searched and saw other posts mention front pads around 5K. So, this seems to be standard. Thanks all.

Last edited by Zappo : 22nd March 2017 at 13:50. Reason: Post edited per request.
Old 23rd March 2017, 16:28   #4162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I agree. The car parking is not completely covered by the CCTV but one part of driveway is covered. I'm in process of collecting data to see if something can be figured out. Thanks, Sanjeev
Strong chance of sabotage attempt only. You cannot miss something falling on the roof with such force. My sense is that it should be repairable and replacing the entire roof shouldnt be required. You can visit few body work houses to get opinions before going ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Any idea how much the brake pads cost for XUV? My front brake pads changed and they are charging me 5300/-

Also he said there are four brake pads at the front, two each side. Is this true?

Edit:
I searched and saw other posts mention front pads around 5K. So, this seems to be standard. Thanks all.
Yes 4 pads. 2 per disc.
Old 24th March 2017, 11:02   #4163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post

Edit:
If you get your brake pads changed from outside then you can save some money. I got mine changed for only 1700.
Old 27th March 2017, 10:02   #4164
BHPian

This happened over the weekend. We just stepped out for lunch and as soon as we came out of our community, I was not able to press the clutch. It was in 2nd gear and the clutch was so tight, I felt I might break it if I pushed any harder. Somehow, I was able to bring it into neutral. After that, no matter how much I tried, the clutch pedal was as tight as possible. And for obvious reasons, putting in gear was not possible without the clutch being depressed.

A tow truck came and the vehicle was towed to the nearest India Garage service center. Service advisor calls me today morning. I told him that am just about to get out of warranty. He mentions that this is not covered under warranty anyways because this is wear and tear. Is that true? They don't exactly know what the problem is but will call me back. I just had gone over 36K KM and was actually planning for a long drive for the summer. Now am doubting the reliability.
Old 30th March 2017, 13:54   #4165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
If you get your brake pads changed from outside then you can save some money. I got mine changed for only 1700.
I think W8 brake pads have a sensor also to indicate brake wear out. Would that be available in outside pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk7671 View Post
A tow truck came and the vehicle was towed to the nearest India Garage service center. Service advisor calls me today morning. I told him that am just about to get out of warranty. He mentions that this is not covered under warranty anyways because this is wear and tear. Is that true? They don't exactly know what the problem is but will call me back. I just had gone over 36K KM and was actually planning for a long drive for the summer. Now am doubting the reliability.
Clutch issues is the only consistent mech failure i read about on XUVs other than some sensor issue here n there. So if it get repaired then you should be assured you are ok for the long trip .
Old 30th March 2017, 18:05   #4166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I think W8 brake pads have a sensor also to indicate brake wear out. Would that be available in outside pads?
That sensor is there in W6 as well. You just need to remove pads and replace them, no need to touch sensors, hence you can buy pads from outside.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 06:07   #4167
BHPian

I bought my XUV W10 in July 2016. Last week in a traffic and after completing the 10K KM, suddenly the clutch pedal went inside and I had to lift it up using my leg. Immediately after, very bad smell came inside the car and I was clueless. After reaching home, I found out that the burning smell is there from bonnet as well. I immediately made an appointment for the 10K service. After checking the vehicle, the service engineer told me that, this is a clutch issue because of my bad half clutch driving. He mentioned that, I may have to replace the entire clutch assembly and it will cost me 22K INR. It is also not under warranty. I was surprised and told the gentleman that I have been driving since many years and never faced such issue in any of my other cars. He gave me some explanation that, this car is so powerful you can even drive in neutral in traffic Also asking a driver not to drive half clutch in an Indian traffic situation is a stupid thing. Luckily the service manager came and told that they will check for any internal leakages and if that is not there we don't need to replace it and indicate that clutch is still alive. Luckily, after inspection no leakage was found. After this incident I checked the net and found that this is a common issue for XUV. Not sure why Mahindra is not taking it seriously and also if this happens why they are not bearing the cost???
Old 31st March 2017, 11:51   #4168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
After this incident I checked the net and found that this is a common issue for XUV. Not sure why Mahindra is not taking it seriously and also if this happens why they are not bearing the cost???
Yes this is the most common mech issue on XUVs and been reported numerous times. Any cost cause of this should be covered under warranty. Escalate if necessary incase A.S.S guys are not taking care of it.
Old 31st March 2017, 12:30   #4169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
After this incident I checked the net and found that this is a common issue for XUV. Not sure why Mahindra is not taking it seriously and also if this happens why they are not bearing the cost???
You are right. This has been a chronic problem in the XUV right since the initial days. One really has to baby the clutch to keep it in good health.

My 2013 XUV W8 still has a feather light clutch but that's because I am very careful to not stress the clutch at all during my daily drives.

As soon as you stress the clutch even a bit for example on inclines, it starts to heat up and the clutch pedal starts sticking.

Mahindra really needs to redesign the clutch assembly so that it's not prone to failure as clutch slippage is inevitable in Indian driving conditions.

Cheers,

Sisu
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 15:24   #4170

I have a W8 with 50000 Km done over the last 4+yrs.

I would like to make a suggestion to XUV drivers regarding use of the clutch to avoid unnecessary wear.

The clutch, throttle adjustment and the anti-stall feature are designed to let you move from a stop WITHOUT any increase in the accelerator depression. Please try moving off from a stop with your foot off the accelerator. You will discover that you can move off from a stop smoothly in this manner, in Ist or 2nd gear even on a moderate up-slope. If you employ this method, the wear on the clutch will be minimal. You can even use this technique during start stop situations in a Jam.

Please try it and see if it works for you

BTW I have not had a single niggle on my W8. I have driven it for trips to Manali, Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai from Gurgaon.
neerajsharma48 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks