Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2017, 09:11   #8596
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any decent places in Gurugram to get some minor work - Brake Pad replacement, and tracking a under-bonnet rattle. We are in DLF Sector 54.
The Under bonnet rattle was traced to the failure of the engine mount. It failed very rapidly (within a week). Initially, Pearl Honda claimed to know nothing about these problems. Subsequent inspection showed up the mount failure. Obviously they did not have them available. I took the matter up with Honda corporate, who responded within one working day, and took up the matter with Pearl. In fact I got a call trying to confirm that while I had bought from Pushp, Kanpur I was now looking at Pearl, Gurugram for the replacement. The mount is now with Pearl Honda and should be replaced in a day or two.

As for brake pads, our son has ordered Brembo pads. The need for an independent workshop stays.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 12:48   #8597
Senior - BHPian

So I went through a badly waterlogged road and immediately the check engine light came on. I was on a highway, 200 kms from home so I had to keep going. However there is no issue with the car and it's running as good as usual. What should be my plan of action?

P.S - It's on. it's not flashing.

Last edited by coolkurt : 9th August 2017 at 12:51.
Old 9th August 2017, 13:06   #8598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
So I went through a badly waterlogged road and immediately the check engine light came on. I was on a highway, 200 kms from home so I had to keep going. However there is no issue with the car and it's running as good as usual. What should be my plan of action?

Check for 5 driving cycles, if the failure was observed random and it is not persisting it will go away. If it doesn't get a scan to see what is the error before any course of action
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 15:10   #8599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post

Do you have the OBD2 Bluetooth dongle?

If yes, then you can pair it up with your phone and use 'Torque' App to know the fault code which can then be browsed over the internet to know the issue.

I use this device (which hardly costs 400 rupees) and always carry it along on outstation trips.
Old 10th August 2017, 00:07   #8600
Senior - BHPian

And iam back here again after a gap of 3years.

Long story short. Owned a 2008 civic SMT. sold that bought a few cars in between and now iam back with a 2010 V/AT

Now ive got a peek at the to do's from the previous owners service page.
Would it make sense to do all the mentioned works through Honda service or outside. And if so, would anyone have the approx cost of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_3296.jpg  

Old 10th August 2017, 02:11   #8601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
And iam back here again after a gap of 3years.

Long story short. Owned a 2008 civic SMT. sold that bought a few cars in between and now iam back with a 2010 V/AT

Now ive got a peek at the to do's from the previous owners service page.
Would it make sense to do all the mentioned works through Honda service or outside. And if so, would anyone have the approx cost of the same.
Well, the recommendations are quite detailed but ASS people mostly tend to over-recommend things. They've done a good check-up though, seems to be.

The only things to do at Honda at earliest seems to be the engine-mount and the Winders job. If you do lots of long highway hauls, you'd also be good doing the suspension overhaul in very near future. Just so you have a tension free snug setup and don't end up increasing the future wearing out of more components due to delay.

The PS job is better done outside at least cost-wise. All other jobs is up to you and how detailed you like stuff to be.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 11:00   #8602
Senior - BHPian

Got the engine hydraulic mount changed in Gurugram.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4250172

Fast action by Honda corporate, but on a paid basis.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2017, 14:30   #8603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Do you have the OBD2 Bluetooth dongle?

If yes, then you can pair it up with your phone and use 'Torque' App to know the fault code which can then be browsed over the internet to know the issue.

I use this device (which hardly costs 400 rupees) and always carry it along on outstation trips.
As Laluks said, the light vanished after a few runs. Maybe some bits had gotten wet which shouldn't have. No harm done.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 11:55   #8604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys will emptying a 4 liter oil can in the engine be a good idea or shall I ask to let a little quantity remain while changing oil since the Civic engine seems to take ~ 3.75 liters ? Though I have used up a 4 liter oil can before on the Civic I wanted to know the right quantity ?
I got the oil changed to Liqui Moly 5W 30 yesterday. I had instructed the guy to leave approx 200 ML in the can while filling up. He did so however he cranked the engine and switched off the engine after a minute or so and checked the oil level again. It was less than the full mark so he poured the remaining quantity as well. I understand the sump capacity is around 3.75 liters or so but doesn't the oil filter also takes in some quantity of oil in. Anyways what i am saying is that 4 liters have been gulped down and I hope there is not much harm considering the filter would also hold some qty of oil. What can we do about the Civics silly orange dip stick which makes it difficult to the see the oil level?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 12:47   #8605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got the oil changed to Liqui Moly 5W 30 yesterday. I had instructed the guy to leave approx 200 ML in the can while filling up. He did so however he cranked the engine and switched off the engine after a minute or so and checked the oil level again. It was less than the full mark so he poured the remaining quantity as well. I understand the sump capacity is around 3.75 liters or so but doesn't the oil filter also takes in some quantity of oil in. Anyways what i am saying is that 4 liters have been gulped down and I hope there is not much harm considering the filter would also hold some qty of oil. What can we do about the Civics silly orange dip stick which makes it difficult to the see the oil level?
The mechanic needs to wait a few minutes after switching off the engine and then measuring the oil level. It takes time for the oil in circulation to drain back into the sump. Check your owners manual for the correct procedure.

Also, engine oil refill capacity is specified with filter and without filter. There will be a difference of a few hundred ml between the two specs. This is because some oil is retained in the filter body itself. So, 3.75L is with or without filter? Did you change the filter too?

If you are uneasy about the extra oil, ask the mechanic to remove the oil filter empty it out and reinstall it. This method is better than opening the drain plug where it would be difficult to control the flow of oil. That should get rid of the extra oil.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th August 2017 at 12:49.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 13:29   #8606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
without filter? Did you change the filter too?
Yes i had the filter changed too.

Attached is a pic of the manual from my own Civic thread.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-3manual_scan.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 13th August 2017 at 13:39.
Old 13th August 2017, 13:50   #8607
BHPian

The infamous 'brake juddering' issue at triple digit speed is being taken care of by my trusted FNG at my hometown.

Thorough inspection of the pads and test drive was done by the mechanic post which both the front discs were skimmed and high temperature grease was applied to the caliper pins.

Will test drive post fitment to check if the rear ones also require the same treatment.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1502612193537.jpg  

ashishrathi88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 14:31   #8608
BANNED

Quote:
Thorough inspection of the pads and test drive was done by the mechanic post which both the front discs were skimmed and high temperature grease was applied to the caliper pins.
Can you please elaborate on the process (if you don't mind!!)

How much was the rotor thickness before skimming process and how much was skimmed off?

Cost of the skimming per rotor and is this on an automatic machines?
Old 13th August 2017, 15:09   #8609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you please elaborate on the process (if you don't mind!!)

How much was the rotor thickness before skimming process and how much was skimmed off?

Cost of the skimming per rotor and is this on an automatic machines?
Post test drive feedback: The juddering is gone now and braking has become razor sharp.

Tried braking from 100-0 multiple times. Only heard slight tyre sqeak due to ABS kicking in with no brake fade.

@Anurag: As per the lathe operator, he shaved of ~0.2mm from the rotor(s).

The machine was automatic.

Pricing factor has not been discussed so far as the garage owner is my dad's friend and he is not ready to share the cost part😆.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 17:52   #8610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Post test drive feedback: The juddering is gone now and braking has become razor sharp. Tried braking from 100-0 multiple times. Only heard slight tyre sqeak due to ABS kicking in with no brake fade.
@ashishrathi88 - after skimming the discs and/or changing the brake pads it is advisable to go easy on the brakes for a few 100 kms to allow the pads & discs to bed in.

The discs look new! They've done a good job.

Quote:
Yes i had the filter changed too. Attached is a pic of the manual from my own Civic thread.
You could have your mechanic drain out the 300 ml excess oil via the oil filter or, if he's comfortable, using the drain plug.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th August 2017 at 17:54.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks