Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 12:47   #421
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

AWD has nothing to do with alignment. Alignment depends on rear suspension design. If the vehicle has an independent suspension setup at the rear, you need alignment. If it is a fixed torsion beam then there is no alignment needed.

Balancing has nothing to do with the car at all. It's to balance the wheels/tyres which by design defects maybe unbalanced.
So does this mean that 2WD cars which have independent suspension setup do require alignment in the rear?
Old 24th August 2013, 14:04   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Wheel Alignment/Balancing : Madhus Enterprises (Langford rd, Bangalore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So does this mean that 2WD cars which have independent suspension setup do require alignment in the rear?
Same question. This means that cars like Indica, which have independent rear suspension would need a rear wheel alignment too?
Old 24th August 2013, 15:13   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Same question. This means that cars like Indica, which have independent rear suspension would need a rear wheel alignment too?
My understanding of wheel alignments is that when you do it, you are basically ensuring that all your wheels are pointing in the same direction. You can't do wheel alignment for the front and rear wheels separately, rather its done in totality. I believe for cars with independent suspension, adjustments are possible for both front and rear wheels while doing the alignment process, whereas for fixed rear suspension cars this adjustment is possible for front wheels only.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 24th August 2013 at 15:21.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 17:49   #424
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

My understanding of wheel alignments is that when you do it, you are basically ensuring that all your wheels are pointing in the same direction. You can't do wheel alignment for the front and rear wheels separately, rather its done in totality. I believe for cars with independent suspension, adjustments are possible for both front and rear wheels while doing the alignment process, whereas for fixed rear suspension cars this adjustment is possible for front wheels only.
I understand the Scorpio to have multi link suspension in the rear. Every time I got the wheels aligned when I had that vehicle, I used to do this at Madhus only, every 5000 kms. Alignment was only performed for the front wheels as I understand it. Was this correct or should they have been doing the alignment for the rear too?

I distinctly remember that as I was moving from Scorpio to Yeti, Ravi telling me that now onwards I would need to get all four wheels aligned. Indeed ever since I got the Yeti thats what has been done.
Old 24th August 2013, 18:08   #425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes even 2WD cars with independent suspension need wheel alignment for the rear.

Example: Civic, Jetta, Lancer(partial) and other cars with independent suspension.

Again it has nothing to do with 2WD or 4WD. A Scorpio 4WD will not need wheel alignment at the back.

Wheel alignment is depending on suspension not drive.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 18:20   #426
BHPian

Went to Madhus Enterprises yesterday to get Wheel Balancing and Alignment done for my Ritz. Though there were a number of vehicles waiting, management is systematic.

They have latest computerized equipment's with proficient workers. A printout report of Balancing and Alignment was given to me after the job. Completed everything within 45 minutes time. Total cost Rs. 730/-.

Definitely recommended!
Old 28th August 2013, 10:33   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Last month I got the front wheel alignment done at Madhus ( Langford Rd) for my Ford Ikon. Rear wheels adjustment not possible I was told.

Everything went well, job done quickly.

However I have an observation. I read the instructions which were displayed on the screen. It suggested to bounce the front of the car a few times inbetween the adjustment process ( to settle the new adjustment properly ?) ... but the guys did not follow that. Upon prompting, they nodded it is not needed. Somehow I am not convinced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even I have observed this and have got the same reply when I pointed it out to them. My question is why would a manufacturer include this step if its not important?Surely everyone wants as minimum steps to finish the job. Hence if the manufacturer has included this bouncing the wheels step it must have some significance .

Maybe Nikhil can throw some light on why its skipped ?
Jouncing is to be done when the car just been jacked up and the suspension has been unloaded. In our case, because we drive the car (for a few metres) from the tyre changing/balancing area to the alignment area, the suspension would have already settled into it's normal position so jouncing is not really required.

Jouncing is useful to make sure the suspension is settled in it's normal/default position while it is being aligned.

In any case, if you have any doubts, you can always insist on the jouncing to be done but given what the suspension goes through while it is being driven in for an alignment, it doesnt matter.

Jouncing is more useful in foreign countries where they do a lot of work on the alignment pit/alignment scissor lift. They lift the car to check various things. Sometimes they even remove the tyres to check the brakes. So, the vehicle is lifted with a jack and this causes the suspension to be in an unloaded position. Then when they lower the vehicle, the suspension would not have settled completely. To make sure it settles, the software recommends that the technician jounce the car.

Quote:
Not able to understand this. My vehicle is an AWD and every time I go for wheel alignment and balancing, I have to perforce get all 4 wheels aligned and balanced.
As Vidyuth has mention in the posts above mine, 4WD and 2WD have nothing to do with the alignment.

If the manufacturer has designed the suspension in such a way that the toe, caster and camber are adjustable, then we can do it.

For most cars in India, only front toe is adjustable.

Some cars (like the Civic) have front toe and rear toe adjustable.

Some older cars like the Lancer, Baleno, Esteem had front toe and camber and rear toe and camber adjustable. On these cars we can do a Total Wheel Alignment.

To adjust camber or caster where it is not adjustable, most mechanics dismantle part of the suspension and work on it. They either use shims or camber bolts. This work usually takes a couple of hours and mechanics charge a good amount as well.

We dont do this at our showroom as we feel we are not qualified to do this. Any mistake made by our technician could lead to further problems and cause problems with the manufacturer.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 22:23   #428
BHPian

Wanted to change the OEM Maxxis that came with our new Micra CVT. Called up a few dealers and prices offered for the Maxxis were pathetic. Madhus were the only ones who offered me a good deal.

Called the Langford road branch and asked for Nikhil but I guess he was away in Delhi or someplace. Spoke to Ravi. Charming fellow and helpful as well.

Got wheel alignment & balancing done as well for which I was not charged. Put on some new Yoko S Drives 195/55 R15s.

All in all a really good experience and I was very happy. Am taking my Gypsy there for alignment in the next couple of days.

Would recommend this place anytime !!
Old 18th September 2013, 19:33   #429
Senior - BHPian

Been to Madhus, Langford road to get the alignment and wheel balanced. Until now was using their Basavanagudi facility, but since last two days I could not get a slot inspite of talking to them on the first day.
Used the Roadforce machine for balancing. Throughout the entire process, I was with the guys who were working on my ride. Answered all my clarification patiently and even added a bit of advice to it. Appreciate the knowledge of these guys and the way they put it to use.
Before the balancing, the guy working filled the tyres with the Nitrogen. Was a bit taken back as the initial readings noted were far less than the filled pressure (About 5PSI). I have been using the services of TP till now and they use an analogue gauge for filling. Could this be the culprit behind the difference in pressure.
And one thing which I have not got answer till now from almost a dozen shops which fill Nitrogen is the purity level. I forgot to ask your guys yesterday Nikhil. Can you shed some light on this topic and how you maintain the purity levels?
Old 19th September 2013, 10:18   #430
Senior - BHPian

Did wheel alignment, balancing and tyre rotation on My 2010 Fiesta on saturday. I am facing an increased trye noise and slight vibration in steering wheel. Will bad balancing or alignment increase the tyre noise? This is the second time that I am facing this after doing wheel alignment & balancing at Metro Ford. This time it was done at Quick Lane and I could see them doing it. What I found that even after balancing there was around 20 -30 gms imbalance in the rear wheels. I found this after asking them to take a reading of the wheel after they stuck the weight (which they normally don't do). Then they argued with me that the rim has wobble and they cannot correct this. I am planning to take it to a wheel alignment center. Question is should I do only balancing & alignment or balancing alone would do?

The reason why I did it in Metro Ford is that the car is company leased. They will pay only for routine service. If I have to get it done outside, I have to pay (which I did last time).

The tyres are 34 K Kms old and do not have unever wear. The front tyres have 4.5 mm tread depth and rear tyres have 3 mm tyre depth. When should I replace the tyres. I am a spirited driver and drive at 100 - 140 KM/H on express ways.
Old 19th September 2013, 15:13   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
This is the second time that I am facing this after doing wheel alignment & balancing at Metro Ford.
Most (probably all) dealerships lack the equipment and skills to proper balance and align the wheels, and it is worthless getting it done there. You're better off going to a tyre store who specializes in these jobs. Madhu's has RoadForce balancing that many swear by.

You should try balancing and alignment at a good tyre store before deciding to replace the tyres. 2010 model could be from January or December, that's a pretty long time span! Check the manufacting date on the tyres (4-digit # in a box on the sidewall; 2-digit week of manufacture followed by 2 digit year of manufacture). They should be replaced if approaching 5 years of age, the tread is less than 3 mm, or there is damage to the tyre. Preferably replace all 4 at the same time. If you insist on getting only two new tyres, they should be put in the back.
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 11:29   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Most (probably all) dealerships lack the equipment and skills to proper balance and align the wheels, and it is worthless getting it done there. You're better off going to a tyre store who specializes in these jobs. Madhu's has RoadForce balancing that many swear by.

You should try balancing and alignment at a good tyre store before deciding to replace the tyres. 2010 model could be from January or December, that's a pretty long time span! Check the manufacting date on the tyres (4-digit # in a box on the sidewall; 2-digit week of manufacture followed by 2 digit year of manufacture). They should be replaced if approaching 5 years of age, the tread is less than 3 mm, or there is damage to the tyre. Preferably replace all 4 at the same time. If you insist on getting only two new tyres, they should be put in the back.
I have not decided to replace the tyres. I am going to a Tyre shop to balance the tyres tomorrow. The tyres can run for another 5 K Kms. Will replace all 4 together.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:35   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Got my Altos tyres changed to Michelin XM2 from Madhus 3 weeks back. It was Saturday afternoon when I reached and there were around 6 cars being worked on. Parked and checked for Bridgestone Turanza ER 60, they said they were not having stocks of the same. The gentleman at counter called up some other place and they too didn't have stock it seems. He then suggested XM2 which I refused since I was more keen on having a tyre with good sidewall protection. However he was confident that XM2 sidewalls will take abuse to a greater extent than older Michelin's, based on that decided to try XM2.

Cost : Including alignment + weights + valves total cost of 4 tyres came to Rs 12100. Also got a Michelin T Shirt free
Service: As mentioned there were few cars already attended to, I was expecting a delay of around 2 hours for sure. However once I selected the tyres within 45 mins or so changing and alignment was completed and more important I was very satisfied with work. They work like a well oiled machine.

Should say Madhus got a repeat customer.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 21:56   #434
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Visited Madhus [ double road flyover branch] today. Introduced myself as team-bhp member to Mohsin Altaf. They did a good job in doing the wheel alignment and wheel balancing for my Santro. Really impressed with their Job. The Road Force machine even uses Laser to point the exact location for adding the weights. Moshin was very informative. He also shared few clips on the Road Force technology and its features on their ipad. The car definitely feels planted on road now and the steering is better. Couldn't meet Nikhil though. Will visit next week for alignment/balancing my friend's Fiesta.

For cars which comes with equal dimension tires [like the Santro], would advise to do balancing for 5 tires [including the spare] and then choose the best fit. Looks like they do it for 4 tires only. I asked this to Moshin and he said if i want they can do the balancing for the 5th too. But since that is not the standard they follow there i said alright and go ahead.

Overall a very good experience. Worth spending the money here compared to the eyewash job the SA's do in the company service centers.

Thanks,
Prakash.

P.S: Also Moshin showed a tyre pressure monitor [Solar based - Imported from Italy] for 2.5K. I felt that it was costly and did not purchase.

Last edited by prakasse : 23rd September 2013 at 21:59.
prakasse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 19:23   #435
BHPian

After running 44K on the Michelin PLC's, it was time for a change for my SwifDy which has run 1.2L kms. I stopped at Madhu's on Saturday and Nikhil was promptly waiting for me with four tyre choices.

There were Michelin XM2, Continental, Yokohoma and Michelin P3STs; and when I was almost sold on XM2's, Nikhil suggested that I look at P3ST's. Not just suggest but also explain why it holds an advantage over the other choices, and considering my car tyre history. He cared to explain the Road Force technology and demonstrated the machine going through different brand of tyre's. Got P3ST's installed and I could feel the difference already, the ride's super silent and really gripping.

Thank You Nikhil, I owe You one. And I should say that I was pleasantly surprised to see You get Your hands dirty on the job.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks