Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2006, 11:00   #4366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
No No B&T he should have demanded that 6.5" be used or he was going else where. You'l be surprised how fast the right components appear if you threaten to take your business elsewhere.
very true!

and what if he sold a lemon?
Old 18th September 2006, 16:20   #4367
Distinguished - BHPian

Mis-communication and confusion.

Harmon_bro, B&T is asking if there is any space AROUND the speaker, not between the speaker front and the door cover.
I will answer that- I think not. The factory size for a Lancer is 5.25. I use a 5.25" Infinity Component set in my lancer and it fits well, with no modification.
To fit a 6" you would either have to trim the door metal or mount a wooden trim ring, but the lancer door cover is ONE piece, with the cosmetic grill incorporated into the ABS moulding, so a 5.25" is fine.

It's mostly the setting.
Old 18th September 2006, 17:22   #4368
Team-BHP Support

Sam, are there any 5.25" 2-way speakers of jbl i can put in my lancer. i didnt see any on the fxaudio site. i only saw pioneer and sony's. not looking at compos as dads car. its for a lancer itself. which speaker would be recommended. jus to confirm the 5.25" will fit with the stock grill without any modifications? thanks.
Old 18th September 2006, 19:56   #4369
BHPian

Vids,

Check on http://www.jbl.com/car/products/category.aspx?cat=COS

There are lot of 2 Way 5.25" components. And also you can fit 6.5" components without any modification its just that it needs a careful installation.

Here are some pics of 6.5" Install in Lancer front door.

0.25" MDF Baffle

Damped by Wurth

6.5" Midbass Installed

Old 18th September 2006, 20:15   #4370
Distinguished - BHPian

Autophile is correct. With a modification (in this case a 0.25" baffle) a 6.5 inch can be fit into the lancer door.
However because of harmon_bros's case, I'd like to add that the unmodified factory slot for a lancer is for a 5.25' speaker.
Old 18th September 2006, 22:14   #4371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Mis-communication and confusion.

Harmon_bro, B&T is asking if there is any space AROUND the speaker, not between the speaker front and the door cover.
I will answer that- I think not. The factory size for a Lancer is 5.25. I use a 5.25" Infinity Component set in my lancer and it fits well, with no modification.
To fit a 6" you would either have to trim the door metal or mount a wooden trim ring, but the lancer door cover is ONE piece, with the cosmetic grill incorporated into the ABS moulding, so a 5.25" is fine.

It's mostly the setting.
Hey Sam,

A relief on the speaker size, I will check the settings though. I dint get the time as yet. Will there be a drastic difference in sound quality if I drive the components using an amp and the same for the oval as well? Please clarify.

One more thing Sam, is there any big difference using a larger size speaker in the front?

Thanks.

Last edited by harmon_bro : 18th September 2006 at 22:17.
Old 18th September 2006, 22:43   #4372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro
Will there be a drastic difference in sound quality if I drive the components using an amp and the same for the oval as well? Please clarify.
YES !

An amplifier would definately make a difference to the performance of your speakers. This is simply because the amp can supply the required power to the speakers whereas a HU cannot put out so much "juice" to the speakers. (The power ratings mentioned on the HU is a farce... but lets not get into that)

Quote:
is there any big difference using a larger size speaker in the front?
If your talking about a bigger size in the samer series/brand then YES, you would have a more enhanced front sound stage with larger speakers. Of course it depends on the specs of the speakers in question.. and also what your goal is. To the average listener (which most of us are, barring a few ) I guess a 5.25" would do just fine.

If you like to really crank up the volume then a 6.5" might be necessary.

Also this would come into play especially if you have a very powerful sub+rear setup, then small speakers in the front might be shadowed by the others.

O/T: I had originally planned for 6.5" front comps in our santro. After testing a few different ICE installs in different cars I feel it will be a bit much to have them up front. So now Iv decided to put them to use in the rear and get a new pair of 5.25" comps for the front. Out go the pioneer 6x9"... phew!!
Old 18th September 2006, 22:47   #4373
Team-BHP Support

oki thanks a lot for the link autophile. but those are all 2-way components. sorry for not being clear but i needed to know for 5.25" coaxials. basically need to change the stock lancer speakers in the front door with straight fit ones. its dads car so cant do a whole lot.
was also looking at changing the HU and had posted earlier regarding the kenwood KDC-MP5033U.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/291033-post4331.html
currently i have the kenwood KFC-HQ698 ovals in the rear which i dont want to change.
need your opinions about the HU as well as front speakers.
Old 18th September 2006, 22:53   #4374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
YES !

An amplifier would definately make a difference to the performance of your speakers. This is simply because the amp can supply the required power to the speakers whereas a HU cannot put out so much "juice" to the speakers. (The power ratings mentioned on the HU is a farce... but lets not get into that)

If your talking about a bigger size in the samer series/brand then YES, you would have a more enhanced front sound stage with larger speakers. Of course it depends on the specs of the speakers in question.. and also what your goal is. To the average listener (which most of us are, barring a few ) I guess a 5.25" would do just fine.

If you like to really crank up the volume then a 6.5" might be necessary.

Also this would come into play especially if you have a very powerful sub+rear setup, then small speakers in the front might be shadowed by the others.

O/T: I had originally planned for 6.5" front comps in our santro. After testing a few different ICE installs in different cars I feel it will be a bit much to have them up front. So now Iv decided to put them to use in the rear and get a new pair of 5.25" comps for the front. Out go the pioneer 6x9"... phew!!
Thanks s0uljah, I get your point.
Old 19th September 2006, 10:55   #4375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got the Infinity ref5010c(components) today for my Lancer. The 9856 Alpine is driving the Infinity Ovals and the components in the front. I dont think the sound is balanced. The tweeters are fixed on the A pillar right next to the sun shades facing each other and mid in the speaker port with OE covers on.
There are NO amps driving the speakers.
1. The mids are not audible in the front and I feel the tweeters shreek a lot. The ovals sound neat without the compos. I like to have the voice and the instruments crisp and not loose.
2. The compo's woofer emitts a thump sound.
I'm going to assume the HU is a 9856R
http://www.alpine-europe.com/content...A-Receiver.htm

This HU as per info above does not have a built in Crossover (only the 9855R has one in the present line up). Hence any filtering requires a bass blocker or an amp. A bass blocker looks like this

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-C8F9EHI...sp?g=761&avf=N

but is simply 2 470uf electrolytic caps back to back. I would add a 1uf polyester cap in parallel with the back-back-cap combo to make the cap a little less harsh. Then "wrap" the whole contraption (2 470uf camps and 1 1uf poly cap) in heat shrink.

So
a) use the above bass bloxcker for the front speakers
b) set EQ to flat and see if everything sounds ok

then report. if you need more bass blocking we can use different caps. The GUrus (B&T, Sam, Gunbir, Etc..) can post what this camp looks like. I dont know how to post pics. LBM ofcourse will surely google everything there is to know about Bass Blockers in the next 30 secs! :-)
Old 19th September 2006, 11:44   #4376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
LBM ofcourse will surely google everything there is to know about Bass Blockers in the next 30 secs! :-)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hVpfU0O...skipvs=T&g=760
Old 19th September 2006, 12:27   #4377
Senior - BHPian

Congrats sam, on being crowned the first distinguished BHPian. Guess it has something more than just audio to do with.
Old 19th September 2006, 12:32   #4378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover

Congrats sam, on being crowned the first distinguished BHPian. Guess it has something more than just audio to do with.

congrats Sam Bhai........... Music, Av equipment and XXX
Old 19th September 2006, 14:15   #4379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover

sorry, sam that smiley was meant to be this one here
Old 19th September 2006, 14:45   #4380
Senior - BHPian

JIYO SIR SAM!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks