Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2007, 01:53   #5116
BHPian

Quote:
PS: Will the Infinity active sub mentioned earlier be as big/small (dimensionally) as the JBL tube?
vertical mounting dimensions (with mounting feet): 15"W x 15"H x 10-1/4"D;
horizontal mounting dimensions (with mounting feet): 15"W x 9-3/4"H x 15-1/8"D

Infinity BassLink II 10'' powered subwoofer with passive radiator at Crutchfield.com
Old 13th January 2007, 06:45   #5117
Senior - BHPian

Elf doing what what he does best!!! Poor ICE forum
Old 13th January 2007, 07:41   #5118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
PS: Will the Infinity active sub mentioned earlier be as big/small (dimensionally) as the JBL tube?

It will be less than half the size. It is very compact.
Old 13th January 2007, 10:23   #5119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Somehow I think the old man did that on purpose.
what a difference a little space makes. :-) it was supposed to read as JBL's expert.

Quote:
You pervert! I don't need a vibrator. Unless you're selling it cheap..
You could add Aura Bass Shakers. However given your sense of humour we could rename them as Base Shakers instead! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Sacrilege! Thou have spoken that what that object of worship is not!!! ...Looks like what you need is a 5 ch amp for sure.
Or you need a 4-ch amp to drive the front & rear speakers, and an active sub (a sub with the sub-driver and an amp in a single box). That way you'll have only one amp out in the open. The Infinity Basslink II (10" active sub; approx. 15K) is a great option. I think it is available only grey, so Sam will have to look the other way .
Hydra,
In a country with 100 deitys, gods and avatars we need not worship electronics be it audison or blaupunkt. besides I thknk Elf was just being funny calling an audison, a blaupunkt. I am sure if someone posted a pic of a blaupunkt he'd have called it an audison (or some other make).

A 5-6 ch. amp like said above will not be much smaller than a 4ch. and monoblock and givne that you cant split a 5-6 ch. amp might even reduce your installation options (you cant tuck a 5-6 ch. amp under the passenger's seats for example).

The Basslink II is only available grey and I think costs closer to 25K than 15K. However you may have noted that Elf is not a grey market fan sothat option is out.

Elf I'll try and cover all your posts in one.

given that you have 2 6" comps in the front and 2 6x9s in the rear you should have adequate bass for most applications.

Hence....

a) I would first add a nice 4 ch. amp. run all for speakers of the amp and see if that does it for you. a good amp will drive your exisitng speakers better than your HU and the bass will also sound cleaner. if that does works why add more.

b) an isobarik sub usually reduces box size to about 60% of a selaed sub. an isobarik sub requires 2 drivers. that means that 2 4ohm woofers will have to be wired as either 2 ohms or 8 ohms. if you are using 2 channels of a bridged amp to drive this sub I would use a 8 ohm (series) connection. few amps are atable when bridged and driving a 2 ohm speaker and those that are usually perfrom better at higher impedances anyway. The USP of a 5-6 ch. amp is that it simplifies the wiring. You dont save cost or too much space.
Old 13th January 2007, 13:06   #5120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Elf doing what what he does best!!! Poor ICE forum

Absolutely ruthless massacre. And strangely, people are almost jostling to queue up at his altar.
Old 13th January 2007, 13:24   #5121
elf
BANNED

@navin: Thanks for the info overload in point (b). Looks like we're going back to the land of the Bathenas & Klingons... Also, the Hindu pantheon consists of approximately ten thousand Gods. Demons & Asuras optional. You can add them for more boom boom from life.

@hydrashok: Audison, JBL, Blaupunkt, MTX, Ninjiang Hang Tie Great China CarAudio, Audiobahn, Itchigaan what difference? It should sound clean & the bass should be nice & tight without making the car fall to pieces. Install a freakin' Clarion for all I care!

Some of you guys are getting my point. I don't much care for wiring or heavy battery/alternator loads or other such poop, & am interested in maintaining a clean, Q Car look - which means no interior customization whatsoever & no speakers visible as far as possible (yes, I know my coax Infinitys are visible on the rear parcel shelf, but they're a superb gunmental grey colour & look really lovely).

@iraghava: I'm just asking questions here buddy. Am a dehaati & I really don't know much about what makes my ICE go. Thought I'd ask the audio world' sexperts opinion. And going by the Base Shakers response above, I'm gonna be getting it.

Thanks mohit for the Basslink link.

To paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi - May the asuras hang with you...
Old 13th January 2007, 13:42   #5122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Hydra,
In a country with 100 deitys, gods and avatars we need not worship electronics be it audison or blaupunkt. besides I thknk Elf was just being funny calling an audison, a blaupunkt. I am sure if someone posted a pic of a blaupunkt he'd have called it an audison (or some other make).
Awwwww... C'mon. Y'all know I was joking too, right?
Old 13th January 2007, 14:41   #5123
Team-BHP Support

Elf, Navin's advice in point a. you may not want a sub after you hook all your 4 speakers to a 4-channel amp.
The infinity's will sound very sweet when amped. Why not try that for now as a first step.
Instead of doing the whole thing at one time you can do it part by part.
once you put the 4 channel amp and still find the bass lacking you can add the sub by connecting 2 channels of the amp to this and letting the rear's run off the HU.
Next would be to add a smaller monoblock discretely in th boot or under passenger seat.

This is just like the case for performance mods. you dont generally mod the whole thing at one shot right. we do one thing and see and see the difference it makes and then do something else after a while. It's the same with ICE.
Old 13th January 2007, 14:48   #5124
elf
BANNED

Thanks vid. Think I'll do the 4 channel amp thingie as well. Though don't want to add a sub AND a monoblock amp later. Which is why I thought that maybe there was a solution for guys like me. And now I know there is - a 5 channel amp. Let's see.

Maybe I'll do the 4 channel amp thingie when I get around to it, & if the bass really doesn't come through that (though even I doubt it), I'll add a powered sub like the Infinity Basslink.

Thank you all for the inputs & the laughs. And for queueing at my altar.
Old 13th January 2007, 14:56   #5125
Team-BHP Support

Also one thing to keep in mind once you amp all speakers is the wiring. Sam should help you out on that.

How have you installed the rear coaxes?

Since you'll be exercising the speakers to their full potential you might want to add a wee bit of damping to the rear tray and the front doors.
Old 13th January 2007, 15:42   #5126
elf
BANNED

I got the speakers installed at the guy near Sam's office - MA Audio or something. He's used decent wiring as far as I know - he charged me Rs. 1750.00 for installing the comps & coaxes.

The front 6" components have been installed directly into the original door speaker pods, with the tweeter on the inside of the rear view mirror cover plates. The crossovers have been placed below the bash plate trim pieces in the footwells. Infinity bits & pieces that came in the box have been used to do the installation. Was thinking of getting the door pads removed & 1/2" thick heatlon stuck on the inside with rubber solution for all the 4 doors for basic damping anyways. Good idea?

The rear 6x9" coaxes have been mounted on two rectangles of MDF so that we didn't have to cut the original sheetmetal much. Again, Infinity bits & pieces that came in the box have been used to do the installation. Do you think it would it be OK, or do I need damping for the rear parcel shelf now?

I like a quiet car. Damn quiet. There shouldn't be even the minutest of rattles, squeaks or traffic noise when the audio is off. Unfortunately, am not too happy with the Lancer in that respect - no rattles & squeaks, though traffic noise comes in a lot more than it did in my 15 year old M1000/Esteem which still had the original beadings when I got rid of it. Strange.
Old 13th January 2007, 16:09   #5127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, am not too happy with the Lancer in that respect - no rattles & squeaks, though traffic noise comes in a lot more than it did in my 15 year old M1000/Esteem which still had the original beadings when I got rid of it. Strange.
Maybe if you stopped smoking & rolled up your window it would reduce a bit
Old 14th January 2007, 19:47   #5128
BHPian

Ran into this forum by sheer luck..and am really thankful for it ! DOnt know when I can Manage to go thru the entire 330+ pages in this thread..have just made it till around 75..

I can safely call myself an 2 channel audio-freak( aka audiophile) and have never really had a great opinion on car audio untill a recent high end experience which kind of opened by eyes ( ...rather ears)

since i am in the process of relocating back to india (Bangalore) and planning on getting myself a midsize car (A NHC vs Verna Vs Fiesta on the works) ..am planning on getting a good ICE (funnily till 3 days back i would have assumed we were talking of the ICE module amps by B&O..)

Hope not to disgust you Gurus with some Basic questions..do bear with me :(

1. As i mentioned my stereo obsesession,the concept of having 4 speakers for 2 channels is disturbing. can i make do with a good pair of component speakers..door mounted with some damping material ? .. the chances of me in the back seat is very very remote. i think i should get the best chance of soundstaging in the front seat that way.

2. Is there an option of high sensitivity speakers in the ICE world ? I am very partial to those. I am also partial to JBLs since they were one of the earlier studio monitors that I owned.

3. Is a sub really necessary ? the kind of music i like for passive listening are very vocal intensive and with most fundamental notes > = 50Hz at the 3dB point.

i have spent most of last month setting up a sub at home on my hands and knees and with an SPL meter in hand..neeedless to say wife was bemused and my kid son very amused..

4. since i am not going to be spending more that 2-3 hours per day in the car i prefer going step by step and adding on a need based approach ( there is still a power regenerator I have to buy for my stereo and i need the budget for that)

I prefer a HU with a Volume Knob and an Aux in which can play my 3G iPOd ( all ripped lossless !) and my wife's Creative ZEn ...

I prefer a warm but not so laid back sound and prefer articulate bass to chest thump .

Which HU brand will have give me that with the JBLs ?
Is 15K a good budget for a HU + 2 component speakers + installation + cables to give mid fi sound ?

5. Any recomendations on places to buy the stuff and also a reliable installer in and around Koramangala ?

somehow the idea of setting up a system in a small area like a car is rather scary and hence would really appreciate your comments on this before i even begin to talk to anyone else !!!...would have definitely known what to do in a 10 x 12 room or more !
Old 14th January 2007, 20:04   #5129
BHPian

guys,5/6-ch amp in not huge amp by any mean that it warrants 'no' from us including elf.
It can easily be installed behind rear seat though only vertically which is safe considering elf is not going to go at full blast and overheat his amplifier.My JL audio 6-ch amp is only abt 2" think and is nicely fitted vertically behind bigger seat .And this 2"thick amp doesn't waste any boot space.When i need boot space [needed once in last yr]i just remove my sub box as i have terminal plug on it.

so acc. to me he cant go wrong with good quality 6-ch amplifier like JL audio or audison.

Edit--
@sharpshooter--Have u gone through this thread ?

Last edited by rsjaurr : 14th January 2007 at 20:15.
Old 14th January 2007, 20:24   #5130
Team-BHP Support

Hello sh@rpshooter, welcome to team-bhp. Nice intro. We have quite a few gurus here who will be here shortly to answer all your query's. Although I'm not one let me get the ball rolling.

It's good that you know what you want.

HU: Since you want AUX in you have 2 good options. One is the very popular Pioneer 6850 costing Rs.12K with bill & warranty. The other is the kenwood KDC-MP5033U also costing 12K. Both these are very good HU with nice features. The pioneer has a direct aux in whereas the kenwood has USB input.

Now for the front speakers. The NHC and the Verna will take 6" compos in the front easily whereas the fiesta is very weird in its 5X7 front speaker size. Incase you go for the NHC or Verna you can go for the JBL-GTO607 (Rs.6500) 6" components. If you go for the fiesta then you have to go for coaxials. JBL has only one model available in this GTO-8627.

Since you are an audiophile I would suggest you stick with these even though they are above your budget.

Even with these just 2 speakers you will find the sound lacking. In the car environment it is always advisable to go for 4 speakers to give you the full sound. The components in the front give more of midbass rather than bass.
Since you are not interested in a sub you can get good bass by adding 6X9 coaxials in the back tray. These are a straight fit for the Verna and fit in the NHC with minor modifications. This will give you the complete soundstage as well as acceptable bass.

You dont need damping right now as well as wiring you can stick with what comes in the box with the speakers.

Once you have this setup the next logical step would be to add a 4 channel amp for the speakers then change the wiring and add a bit of damping as well.

Koramangala has one of the best installers Anwar of auto fusion. You can buy all the stuff from him or just the HU. The speakers can be bought by bought from JBL showroom on laveller road called sound factor.

You can also hear all these stuff at sound factor.

Another good place is Sprocket in koramangala.

Cheers.

edit: do go through http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...k-25k-30k.html

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th January 2007 at 20:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks