Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2007, 01:13   #5071
Senior - BHPian

so then which brands are available in that area ? whats his choice of music ?

Rev
Old 11th January 2007, 01:17   #5072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH-WINS View Post
I have just bought a
Pio 5850 = 7k
sony xplod(500 watt) = 4,500k
1000watts JBL 12" Bass Tube = 6k(wit 1yr warranty)
oval pioneer speaker boxed.
and wiring of boss...
but i miss the thump outside the car...
and i know i need to get fromt speakers....
plz suggest with the same......................
is the pricing ok....
if i were you and i had cash this is what i would do.get components up front.use the sony to power my speakers untill i get a better amp and get a mono if i had the cash or else a good 2 channel to power the tube.this should giv you enough thump outside the car as well.

im surprised you dont get enough thump outside the car considering i have a similar amp powering my sub.theres enough bass coming outt of my car even at 50% volume.

but if u get a powerfull amp your problem will be solved.

Rev
Old 11th January 2007, 01:32   #5073
elf
BANNED

Sorry to sound like a dehaati, but is there an single amp that can power the front components, rear 6x9 coaxials & a bass tube / sub as well? If so, which are the brands & how much would it roughly cost?

Is that what a 4 channel amp does?

The reason I ask these questions is because I don't want too much ghich-pich in my boot or around the car.

Last edited by elf : 11th January 2007 at 01:44.
Old 11th January 2007, 01:40   #5074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
how much would it roughly cost?
Definitely more than 2 amps- 1 powering the sub and other powering the speakers!
Old 11th January 2007, 01:43   #5075
Distinguished - BHPian

EL, I am sure Zak meant well, didn't you zak? It's ok, sometime we type things like how we speak and when you read it, it can seem a bit rude.

But yes, you did raise one good point, we have to respect other's choices.

So Ash baba, let's see,

Pioneer Deck, Sony amplifier, ovals and a bass tube. You want more bass.

Assuming your amplifier is 4 channel, make sure it is bridged correctly to the subwoofer. Like revtech mentioned, it can sound pretty good if well set.

For example, if you lower the gain on your Ovals, you will be able to increase the volume more, allowing the bass to get louder. Of course, that amplifier is good VFM, but the quality is o..k.. not too good to drive a subwoofer.

Now, let us know what car you have, so we can suggest the right front speakers. Later on, when you are ready to spend some money, use that sony amp to drive all your speakers and get a subwoofer mono amplifier. Then you can go BOOM BOOM to your hearts content.
Old 11th January 2007, 01:47   #5076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to sound like a dehaati, but is there an single amp that can power the front components, rear 6x9 coaxials & a bass tube / sub as well? If so, which are the brands & how much would it roughly cost?
Yes elf, you do get multichannel amplifier. To drive all of those you will need a 5/6 channel amplifier. A few good companies do market them, like Audison and Alpine, but they are not very popular. They are large and can be painful to fit, wire and install correctly.

Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a 2 channel + a 4 channel amplifier, probably why multichannel amplifiers are not as popular.

However it is also possible to connect all of those products on one 4 channel amplfier, though it is not entirely recommended. Would you like me to explain how?
Old 11th January 2007, 01:56   #5077
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
... However it is also possible to connect all of those products on one 4 channel amplfier, though it is not entirely recommended. Would you like me to explain how? ...
Yes , Uncle Sam.
Old 11th January 2007, 02:04   #5078
Distinguished - BHPian

Man Elf, it's 2 am.

OK

Method 1 - You run your front and read speakers in parallel and connect them to the front channel.
You bridge the rear channel and put the LPF (low pass filter) on and connect your subwoofer to this.

Upside: Subwoofer runs perfectly, front and rear speakers are loud and clear.
Downside: Amp front channel runs at 2 ohms or below. No fader control.

Method 2 - You connect front speakers to the front channel and the rears to the rear channel. Regular 4 channel mode.

After that, you connect the subwoofer across the bridged terminal of the rear channel. Not every amplifier is capable of this mode (called tri-mode) so check the manual before you connect.

Upside: Fader works between rear and front
Downside: Subwoofer fades with rear speakers. Rear channel cannot be played in LPF mode, so subwoofer plays annoying unwanted frequencies. Can be helped slightly with a passive low pass inductive filter.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th January 2007 at 02:07.
Old 11th January 2007, 02:09   #5079
elf
BANNED

Thanks Sam. Shall bug you for tech ed tomorrow.
Same time, same place. Only on T-BHP!
Old 11th January 2007, 10:30   #5080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry to sound like a dehaati, but is there an single amp that can power the front components, rear 6x9 coaxials & a bass tube / sub as well? .
Any 5-6 channel amp will do that...like Sam says...there are a few 4 ch. amps that can also do that using tri-way conections. I know Sam does not always recommend this becuase if your speaker impedances are too low your amp can become unstable but if you are serious, are not doing something stupid, such an amp can make for a rather simple setup.

PAC TM-100 Tri-Way Crossover at Crutchfield.com

Profile AP1040 4-channel car amplifier 80 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

BTW my experince with Profile amps is that while they are cheap, stable and all that there are more listenable amps out there. The links above are purely academic.

Last edited by navin : 11th January 2007 at 10:34.
Old 11th January 2007, 11:34   #5081
BANNED

Sincere apologies to all if my earlier post was rude. Well, That's not what I meant to be (Sam, thanks for pointing it out). Sorry!

Pioneer used to make a 5channel amp which was VFM @ 15k(grey). But the quality wasn't that great, just ok. But still catered to many who wanted a one amp solution. Unluckily Elf, those are hard to find these days.

The methods Sam described to you is ok. But there'll be some sort of compromise involved here and there. And you don't want to do that.
Why?
Because You're Elf.

Does JBL make any 5/6 channel amps? I'm sure they should be VFM as their other line ups.
Old 11th January 2007, 11:42   #5082
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Does JBL make any 5/6 channel amps? I'm sure they should be VFM as their other line ups.
I dont think they are available locally. Sam will confirm. the 755.6 is a nice amp.
Old 11th January 2007, 12:26   #5083
Distinguished - BHPian

The GTO755.6 is not sold in India. It would be sold at Rs.22500/-. Not much VFM there
Old 12th January 2007, 01:04   #5084
elf
BANNED

@Zak: Audio to me, is the exact opposite of women. Should not be seen but heard. Don't show me amplifiers, graphic equalizers, wires, connectors, capacitors, farads, nawazes, zorus or other bathenas, & expect me to get all excited. Just sound nice & don't be flashy about it. Which is why I thought a single amp would be nice to have, instead of the bridge of the USS Enter-freakin-prise in my boot with Spock's butt half showing.

Also, I bought a sedan so that I can have a boot. I like my sedan's boot. Sometimes, I like to think that maybe when wifey ain't lookin', I'll pop a chickadee in there. Don't want aforesaid chickadee to be poked by something which says KICKER or whatever. I'd much rather kicker & poker myself.

@Sam, navin, de udders: Guys, would my audio be 'enhanced' if I chucked in an equalizer instead? More boom-boom from existing setup should ensue, so to speak. My current audio specs are in my garage.

Thanks & all that.
Old 12th January 2007, 01:23   #5085
Senior - BHPian

An equaliser would make your speakers go phut burp & brum. i think most would agree on this. instead add an amp & a sub for the boom boom. brands are as per budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks