Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2019, 10:56   #13831
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
People here are suggesting Blaupunkt/Pioneer/Sony or Rockford.
Of these 4 the only one I have had good experiences with is Blaupunkt. Granted I have not heard a Rockford amp for over a decade.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 11:50   #13832
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

I have a 2018 XUV500, and I have decided to upgrade the car audio. I have acquired a Audison DSP and a Focal Solid 4 amplifier from fellow members (At great prices!! ). I have been looking for speakers for sometime now, and seems like I am falling into a never ending pit, with endless choices at various prices.

Can you guys offer me some speaker suggestions? I would like some budget speakers which do not sound very bright. I would like to limit my budget to 20,000 for a component and coaxial speaker pairs. Something which can be ordered online would be a plus, as I would like to go to the installer with everything in hand

I know getting a good DSP and looking for budget speakers is ironic, but the way I look at it, once the DSP and amplifier are wired, it’s fairly easy to swap the speakers whenever I feel the need to upgrade.

Last edited by Raghav_K : 19th February 2019 at 11:57.
Old 19th February 2019, 12:20   #13833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Can you share the link please? I am finding only the ones for 25k
You may try searching on google as follows

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...ducts-cc.0.0l1
Old 19th February 2019, 13:02   #13834
BHPian

A question to the seniors here - I have a fiat linea Tjet running on a very old very noise set of tyres. The music system is stock and i plug in my IPOD for the songs.

The thing is whenever I listen to the audio when stationary and engine is not running, windows closed, I hear the notes clearly. The bass is there - no thumps, but songs which have a bass guitar line really register their LFs well. The mids and highs are well defined and also DO NOT sound harsh at all. And the stage is perfect.

Scenario 2 - the same song, stationary car and windows rolled up tends to lose it various layers the moment I crank the engine. The bass is lacking a bit and the sound is lost.

Scenario 3 - Once i start rolling, and speeds touch up of 35kmph, the sound gets worse. I mean I need to crank up the volume plus I have zero LF.

While I am looking to upgrade the speakers with the addition of an amp, I believe there is an underlying problem here that needs to be solved before i attempt anything. I am not sure if it is an electrical problem or an acoustic one. On why I might be confused it is an electrical problem - The moment i crank the engine the sound tapers off.

Or is it purely an acoustic problem where some frequencies from the running engine are canceling out my audio?

I am changing my tyres as an immediate step - This will bring down the road noise to a large extent. I am also looking to soundproof the car like how user ::CMS:: has done to his duster. I am confused if just dampening the car with 2/3 sheets per door would make any difference to the external/engine noise? Or should i just go and cover the entire surface with bitumen sheets. I plan to do this door by door, and then proceed.

To the experts - anything I am missing or overlooking?
Old 20th February 2019, 13:28   #13835
BHPian

Gents,

I am facing an extremely annoying issue post my speaker + amplifier installation in my scorpio s7. Since the upgrade, all the warnings ( seat belt, handbrake, door azar, etc) from the original player are being delivered at a very high volume level.

Checked back with the service center, but they had no option to reduce the level of the warnings in any form. Can someone please assist me out on having them aligned in more acceptable volume range rather than the announcement I am getting right now.

Regards
Old 18th March 2019, 01:30   #13836
Senior - BHPian

Dear experts, I have 2 questions regarding my car ICE which is detailed in this thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...gets-iced.html (Mahindra XUV500: Finally the beast gets ICE'd)
  1. How to get better sound stage upfront? Currently the tweeters on the doors are actually facing downwards towards the front driver and passenger legs. Should I point them towards the head position or cross them in the middle somewhere? Currently I dont feel the sound is coming from front, hence the question and need to improve the setup
  1. I am using the amp for all 4 channels. For the front channel the amp has sliding switch to choose a Hi Pass 80Hz option. Ideally it makes sense for the components but I am finding the sound a bit flat from front speakers with it in Hi mode. It sounds fairly better with Hi Pass turned off. My question is does the crossover circuit for components also cutoff the low freq for the mid base speaker? If so then I can keep the Hi pass filter off without worrying about driving lower the speaker cant handle?

Last edited by navin : 18th March 2019 at 15:48. Reason: typo
Old 18th March 2019, 12:37   #13837
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
How to get better sound stage upfront? Currently, the tweeters on the doors are actually facing downwards towards the front driver and passenger legs. Should I point them towards the head position or cross them in the middle somewhere?
Other than tweeter firing angle, I think the midbass needs be brought into the cabin for a better 'sound staging'. Not many prefer cutting door pads which rules that option out but AFAIK the midbass in the XUV is at an odd location and a window channel restricts fitting bigger ones.

Why not try to angle the tweeters aiming opposite side B-pillars? I mean left tweeter point to right B-pillar and vice versa?!

Quote:
I am using the amp for all 4 channels. For the front channel, the amp has a sliding switch to choose a Hi Pass 80Hz option. Ideally, it makes sense for the components but I am finding the sound a bit flat from front speakers with it in Hi mode. It sounds fairly better with Hi Pass turned off. My question is does the crossover circuit for components also cut off the low freq for the midbass speaker? If so then I can keep the Hi-pass filter off without worrying about driving lower the speaker can't handle?
Can you post an image of the settings available on that amplifier?! And what it is set currently at?!

Are there any settings for tweeter attenuation in the crossovers? If yes, what is it at now? Some crossover have "1, 2, 3", some of them have 'Soft, Mid, High' with jumpers to swap settings if required. Check that too.

I think you are on stock HU, right? 50% problem is the HU itself that kills the SQ. What would an amplifier do when the input signal isn't that great with no options for tuning. I'm not saying change the HU, just putting down the point.

Not an expert, just gathered some information reading ICE of other forums. Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 15:59   #13838
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dear experts, I have 2 questions regarding my car ICE which is detailed in this thread
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...gets-iced.html (Mahindra XUV500: Finally the beast gets ICE'd)
  1. How to get better sound stage upfront?
  1. My question is does the crossover circuit for components also cutoff the low freq for the mid base speaker? If so then I can keep the Hi pass filter off without worrying about driving lower the speaker cant handle?
1. With the Midbass mounted high on the door it is difficult to get good imaging as the difference in distance between the Left and Right Midbass to the listener is very large. If the Midbass was placed lower on the door then the difference in distance would be less.

The difference in distance is the difference between the Left Midbass to the driver and the Right Midbass to the driver and similarly for the passenger on the left.

DSPs are designed to delay the sound of the closer speaker so that the sound from both speakers arrive at the listener at the same time.

2. The speaker's crossover does NOT have a High Pass filter for the woofer. The crossover only has a Low Pass filter for the woofer and a high pass filter for the tweeter (both at around 2000-3500 Hz depending on design).
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 16:16   #13839
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. With the Midbass mounted high on the door it is difficult to get good imaging as the difference in distance between the Left and Right Midbass to the listener is very large. If the Midbass was placed lower on the door then the difference in distance would be less.
Agree with the point on midbass location but wouldn't changing the angle of the tweeter to 'on-axis' get a brighter sound imaging?

How about adding some foam around the speaker grille (where it meets the door pad) to channel the sound waves into cabin do any better to the SQ?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 10:56   #13840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Agree with the point on midbass location but wouldn't changing the angle of the tweeter to 'on-axis' get a brighter sound imaging?
Sure you can use the tweeter firing angle to help with the imaging. When I suggested the Midbass location it was meant to be in addition to offsetting the tweeter firing angle.

Imaging in a car (without DSP) is a significant challenge. With so much glass and other reflective surfaces around it is surprising that we get anything approaching good sound in a car.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 14:58   #13841
BHPian

Hello Members,

My 2014 Grand i10 front speakers have gone kaput. I'm in the market for a new pair of Co-axials, cause I do not wish to spend much as the car won't be with me for really long.

Present System : Sony GT88UI DoubleDin , Rockford Fosgate R1693 (Parcel Shelf) , Local brand speakers (Front Doors)

Keeping my budget to a minimum of 2-3k, with the following options :

1. Focal Performance Auditor RCX 165PSI
2. JBL 310SI
3. Sony Equivalent speakers.
4. JVC ?

Any other recommendation shall be blindly accepted.

Only writing again as there was only 1 answered post, which had a way bigger budget.
Old 22nd March 2019, 17:21   #13842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you post an image of the settings available on that amplifier?! And what it is set currently at?!

Are there any settings for tweeter attenuation in the crossovers? If yes, what is it at now? Some crossover have "1, 2, 3", some of them have 'Soft, Mid, High' with jumpers to swap settings if required. Check that too.

I think you are on stock HU, right? 50% problem is the HU itself that kills the SQ. What would an amplifier do when the input signal isn't that great with no options for tuning. I'm not saying change the HU, just putting down the point.

Not an expert, just gathered some information reading ICE of other forums. Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.
Agree with you on HU quality and the one on XUVs is nothing to write about at all esp with the 1st gen model. I am not an extreme audiophile so can live with the setup I have since its a significant step over the stock.

Will take a pic and send you but its basically a toggle switch to setup output to front speakers as is or cut off freq lower than 80Hz. The Blaupunkt components I use dont have setting for tweeter attenuation.

Quote:

The difference in distance is the difference between the Left Midbass to the driver and the Right Midbass to the driver and similarly for the passenger on the left.

DSPs are designed to delay the sound of the closer speaker so that the sound from both speakers arrive at the listener at the same time.

2. The speaker's crossover does NOT have a High Pass filter for the woofer. The crossover only has a Low Pass filter for the woofer and a high pass filter for the tweeter (both at around 2000-3500 Hz depending on design).
the mid bass in XUV are almost at top of the door, they are at my knee levels when I sit and i can easily feel the timing difference between the two channels. What would be the lowest cost decent DSP you would recommend?

In old XUVs the HU had a whine issue, so to keep it in check the amp gain has to be kept low else the whine becomes noticeable. That could be the reason for front speakers sounding a bit flat to me. So will live with the front channel from amp sending all low freq to the mid bass.

Quote:
Sure you can use the tweeter firing angle to help with the imaging. When I suggested the Midbass location it was meant to be in addition to offsetting the tweeter firing angle.

Imaging in a car (without DSP) is a significant challenge. With so much glass and other reflective surfaces around it is surprising that we get anything approaching good sound in a car.
You are absolutely right but recently during my US trip I sat in my couz tesla 3 which apparently has a premium 15 speaker audio setup with 3 speakers on dash and 4 on A pillars, and it literally blew me off with its clarity, quality, sound stage and crispness. It was a surreal experience. Since them I am finding my ICEs XUV bland
Old 22nd March 2019, 17:51   #13843
BANNED

Quote:
What would be the lowest cost decent DSP you would recommend?
I can think of two DSP's at the lower price range:

As per Pioneer website, the DSP costs 16K roughly. Not sure what the Dayton audio retails at.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd March 2019 at 00:31. Reason: Pioneer
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 07:11   #13844
Distinguished - BHPian

Need suggestions for a HU with sub-woofer. High-level out is sufficient ( RCA not required). iPod connectivity needed.

Trying to connect a 5-Channel Amp. The Amp has high-level input only.
Old 23rd March 2019, 11:04   #13845
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the mid bass in XUV are almost at top of the door, they are at my knee levels when I sit and i can easily feel the timing difference between the two channels. What would be the lowest cost decent DSP you would recommend?
I have been struggling with this question for many years now. A lot of my friends would like better imaging but not everyone has a budget of 40-60k for a DSP. The good ones like the Focal FSP-8, Audision Bit 10 and Bit 1, Rockford 360.3, Alpine PXA-H800 are expensive and the cheap ones like the Pioneer and Sony (see link below) I have not heard enough to recommend yet.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4501443 (Upgrading your OEM Car Audio using DSPs (budget version))

Quote:
I can think of two DSP's at the lower price range:

As per Pioneer website, the DSP costs 16K roughly. Not sure what the Dayton audio retails at.
What about the JL Audio FIX 86? It should be better than the Pioneer and the Sony (see link)
https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/c...iers/xm-gs6dsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Need suggestions for a HU with sub-woofer. High-level out is sufficient ( RCA not required). iPod connectivity needed.

Trying to connect a 5-Channel Amp. The Amp has high-level input only.
I assume you mean a HU with a subwoofer RCA out. 15k is about the cheapest I could find.
https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/i...specifications
https://pioneer-india.in/buy/car-ent...rs/mvh-a219bt/
https://www.kenwood.com/india/car/vi...tion/ddx419bt/

Last edited by navin : 23rd March 2019 at 11:14.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks