Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2023, 04:50   #886

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

What’s build quality expected from Tata? So far I’ve found a number of issues, some of which I don’t even know can be fixed in service.

1. Rear parking camera doesn’t turn on every time. 30% probability of failure.
2. The horn on steering wheel takes way more effort to engage than I’d expect. It’s uneven too. Normally I’d expect with a little pressure the horn will engage but here the horn button has to travel down a lot before the horn engages. Weird!
3. The trunk doesn’t close until I slam it. The removable trunk partition seems to make it worse.
4. The wireless charger is unreliable for my iPhone 14 without case.

The round dial gear takes a little longer to change the gear than expected, which I don’t think is a defect, just poor engineering. When I turn the knob, I have wait for a split second before I can start reversing or driving forward.

Previously I posted that I had rejected a car after PDI due to external defects. I was taken to the stock yard where I wasn’t allowed to check the interiors on second PDI and thus accepted it based on exterior inspection.

What I’ve liked so far: It drives quite well. It’s zippy, easily maneuverable and fairly comfortable on bad roads and jams. Seats are comfortable and interiors look great.

I care about details; my experience with Tata so far is that they don’t.

This is experience is from the dark edition. I have a theory that Tata’s special edition cars are worse than their normal builds.
nikhil_ag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 12:39   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_ag View Post
1. Rear parking camera doesn’t turn on every time. 30% probability of failure.
2. The horn on steering wheel takes way more effort to engage than I’d expect. It’s uneven too. Normally I’d expect with a little pressure the horn will engage but here the horn button has to travel down a lot before the horn engages. Weird!
3. The trunk doesn’t close until I slam it. The removable trunk partition seems to make it worse.
4. The wireless charger is unreliable for my iPhone 14 without case.
Congrats on your new purchase, Wishing you many happier miles with it. Yes, Tata's attention to detail is something which would leave any person wanting more. Based on my limited 3 months ownership of the MAX, I will share my comments on the points listed below

1. It had worked fine for me except for 2-3 occasions where it blanked out. As far I remember, Toggling between P & R solved it for me, but yeah it's bad when really needed.

2. This is something you would need to get used to, it presses well from the sides and it's a tad too stiff if operated from the centre to the point of causing discomfort on prolonged usage. But honestly speaking, I find that to be better given we don't have to take our hands off the steering and its conjunction with the use of steering-mounted controls.

3. Compared with my other car which has an electrically operated boot, I did not find many issues here albeit on some occasions where the boot didn't close on soft push and I started driving only to realise this later and had to pull over to the needful.

4. Facing the same issue with my spouse's 13pro with or without case, but honestly speaking it's very unintuitive to slam a wireless charger when you cant use Apple Carplay or Android Auto wirelessly. It's just like another feature addition from a checklist to stay relevant without putting a lot of thought behind it.
rahul1407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2023, 13:44   #888

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_ag View Post
The round dial gear takes a little longer to change the gear than expected, which I don’t think is a defect, just poor engineering. When I turn the knob, I have wait for a split second before I can start reversing or driving forward.
Having had my Max for about 4 months and with almost 5k on the odo, you have echoed my exact thoughts on the car. And another very annoying problem I have been facing is the sudden drop in charge. Usually the car loses around 15% in 1-2 km of normal city driving all of a sudden. And it tends to happen in the 30's. Goes down to the teens. Since I tend to be planned with my driving, it hasn't been an issue as of now but would definitely bring on some serious anxiety if I was far away from home.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th June 2023 at 13:52. Reason: Mod note attached.
chucko96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 01:41   #889

A 2 month, 2000 km review of the Nexon EV Max!

We have not gone on as many road trips in our 8 years in Mumbai as in these past 2 months!

This is an ownership review of Tata Nexon EV Max XZ+ Lux. We bought it this April, completed 2000 kms on our Bijli last week, and on 7th it completed its 2 months. At the risk of sounding like we are in love with it, a three-word review, "absolutely love it"

Disclaimer: this is our first car, and our total driving experience was of about two months, back in 2015! So there are no reference points really to these comments, but a first experience.

The drive: Despite being novice drivers, the smooth pickup, noiseless operations, and regen actually hooked us during the test drive. With the number of speed breakers, and general stoppages on Mumbai roads, you almost get a single pedal drive using the 'crawl' and 'regen'. The highway driving is fantastic as well. Fastest I have gone is 115km/hr, and it still felt totally in control. The sports mode, though sparingly used, really does shine.
On highways/clear roads, have been able to attain 120-130 W/km quite regularly. City driving of course is a different ball game.
The very low noise interiors are a boon in the bustling traffic of Mumbai.

Build and Exterior: Solid build. And the Intensiteal color is love at first sight!

Interiors: Look good, feel good. Have had people in the back seat for 3-4 hours at a stretch, and they could've sworn that this was one of the more comfortable rides they've taken.
The A pillars are a bit wide, and take time to get used to, especially for traffic coming from your right. Also, the viewing range can seem a bit limited between the infotainment unit and the rear view mirror. But not a deal breaker at any rate.

Functionalities/accessories: Auto-hold is now pretty standard across most cars, but it is a boon, especially when you are stuck in traffic or driving on the ghat. The best part is that you dont have to engage it every time you need it, once you do it, it remains on and comes into effect whenever the car comes to a complete stop.
The side horn on the steering wheel is so very convenient. The cruise set up takes time to get used to, though it can just be because we are new to it. The hill descent control works well on steep mall parking exits.
The sound system does very well, probably better than any other car we've been in but thats not a very big universe.

The not so good:
  • There is almost no space in the centre console, other than small armrest box. The wireless charger is a waste of space, as it is very slow.
  • You can of course get some storage organizers, which we have done, which alleviate the problem to a large extent.
  • In general the storage space is a bit underwhelming, e.g., no seat back pockets. Again, have to rely on external accessories to overcome that.
  • Wireless android auto would’ve been fantastic.
  • The usb port is a bit awkward to reach, but then you don’t have to access it everyday, you put in a cord and leave it there.
  • There is a slight lag in the drive selector dial, and it can take a few days to get used to, and you may have to listen to that one extra honk when you stop to reverse on a busy street , but again, not a deal breaker at all. It does look very good!
So far we haven't faced any issues, and long may that continue! Overall, I think the Nexon was a big part of us becoming fond of driving. It is so easy to drive that sometimes we wonder if we'll be able to drive any other car at all if we get used to this. The energy efficiency and increasing charging infra definitely help contribute to the positive ownership experience, and it's only going to get better from here on hopefully.
bijli is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 13:06   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
Can you use the air conditioning in the car while fast or slow charging? I am asking this because if that's possible then it will be easy to rest while charging the car.
I tried doing this with a Zeon 22 kw charger and it errored out and stopped. But it worked on a 50 kw charger. I’m not sure if it had something to do with ambient temperature as I was trying to fast charge using 22 kw charger at noon and the a/c was on to cool the batteries so perhaps it couldn’t power the a/c in the cabin.

I will try and turn on A/c while home charging at 3.3kw and report back
Old 12th June 2023, 19:44   #891

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
I tried doing this with a Zeon 22 kw charger and it errored out and stopped. But it worked on a 50 kw charger. I’m not sure if it had something to do with ambient temperature as I was trying to fast charge using 22 kw charger at noon and the a/c was on to cool the batteries so perhaps it couldn’t power the a/c in the cabin.

I will try and turn on A/c while home charging at 3.3kw and report back
AC works fine during DC charging , just hit the start button twice without pressing brake pedal and you are good to go .
isavemayur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 12:20   #892
BHPian

Hi folks

My Nexon EV max is close to celebrating its 1st anniversary and has done nearly 9000kms on the odo. Had her serviced for 12 months ( 3rd free service) recently.
I was not aware of any software update during that service but I am guessing it was done.

I've been noticing a range drop significantly post that. Used to get 200-220 kms for 100 to 10 % SOC with 95 % of it being in city limits with AC on in city mode.
But since last 2 weeks its dropped to 160 -170 kms for the same SOC usage with an average of around 190-200 Kwh/km (160-170 Kwh/km previously).

I always use the 3.3 Kw charger at home and usually charge to 100 % when my SOC drops to 10%.
Has it got something to do with my batteries failing?
The temperatures in city were hovering around the 40s recently. Has it got something to do with that?
Also I've noticed that people at home using my car have been using AC while idling significantly due to the scorching summer heat.

Do I need to get my batteries checked or should I wait it out and see for another 2-3 charging cycles and take a call post that?

Any experiences from owners in this forum and suggestions are gladly welcome.
Old 19th June 2023, 10:53   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradheepsr View Post
Hi folks,

I've been noticing a range drop significantly post that. Used to get 200-220 kms for 100 to 10 % SOC with 95 % of it being in city limits with AC on in city mode.
But since last 2 weeks its dropped to 160 -170 kms for the same SOC usage with an average of around 190-200 Kwh/km (160-170 Kwh/km previously).

I always use the 3.3 Kw charger at home and usually charge to 100 % when my SOC drops to 10%. Has it got something to do with my batteries failing?
The temperatures in city were hovering around the 40s recently. Has it got something to do with that?
Unlikely to be a battery problem unless you see sudden SOC drops. At 200 wh/km (I am guessing that Kwh/km is a typo) you should get about 200 Km of range for 100 % SOC and 180 for 100%-10% SoC which is consistent with your earlier figures I guess. So the reason is the increased energy usage per KM.

The higher temperature should be the reason as it means more energy is used for both the cabin cooling as well as battery cooling (NExon has liquid cooled batteries) would have become higher.
electric_eel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 17:49   #894
BHPian

I booked a home test drive of Nexon EV Max. They came with Dark edition vehicle after a couple of times of missing slots.

The displayed range was 109km at the start and it went down to 91 km when I was done after 5 km long test drive (and some 15 mins of idling with AC). This was fairly normal driving (over similar conditions, my petrol Swift would return 16-17kmpl).
I felt with this severe drop, even a 250km range would be a stretch.
With lot of disappointment i have dropped the plan to book (for now atleast).

I now feel that battery tech/BMS have some time to go before EVs becoming widely adopted here.

Seems like I will keep my Swift for another 2 years and then look for ev.
electro-monk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 09:45   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro-monk View Post
I now feel that battery tech/BMS have some time to go before EVs becoming widely adopted here.

Seems like I will keep my Swift for another 2 years and then look for ev.
How much SOC% was the car when it got to you and how much was used in test drive?

DTE is basically based on the type of driving that was done in last few kms. What was being shown when you got the car, depends a lot on how the sales advisor drove the car to your place.

This is very similar to ICE car which will have a lower DTE if driven aggressively.
Old 3rd July 2023, 16:17   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
How much SOC% was the car when it got to you and how much was used in test drive?
I didn't notice the SOC status before or after.
I agree that range drop will depend on how they drove before reaching me and how I drove subsequently- but the comparison with Swift FE was to give an idea just about my driving (to remove 1 out of 2 uncertainties).

The point is Nexon EV is not a forgiving machine when it comes to consumption.
Old 3rd July 2023, 19:24   #897
BHPian

Almost 5k kms into my ownership of Nexon EV max and I can 100% say that 250 is almost the bare minimum range you can get - whatever the weather and driving condition.

Sharing my charge log for your reference, ignore the DTE and my trip A gets reset after each charge. My least efficient drive has been at 146wh/km which again translates to 40500/146=277 km of range!

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-screenshot_20230703_191928_sheets.jpg
Sandegov is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 10:03   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
How did you get hold of this spread sheet ?
Old 4th July 2023, 12:25   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Almost 5k kms into my ownership of Nexon EV max and I can 100% say that 250 is almost the bare minimum range you can get - whatever the weather and driving condition.

Sharing my charge log for your reference, ignore the DTE and my trip A gets reset after each charge. My least efficient drive has been at 146wh/km which again translates to 40500/146=277 km of range!
Sir, please tell us if you prepared this spreadsheet manually or pulled the data from some source like Zconnect, Great stats by the way
Old 4th July 2023, 16:52   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
How did you get hold of this spread sheet ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Sir, please tell us if you prepared this spreadsheet manually or pulled the data from some source like Zconnect, Great stats by the way
Manually maintained excel.
Sandegov is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks