Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Manually maintained excel.
That is some dedication to the cause
Old 8th July 2023, 10:56   #902
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV Max Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_ag View Post
What’s build quality expected from Tata? So far I’ve found a number of issues, some of which I don’t even know can be fixed in service.

1. Rear parking camera doesn’t turn on every time. 30% probability of failure.
2. The horn on steering wheel takes way more effort to engage than I’d expect. It’s uneven too. Normally I’d expect with a little pressure the horn will engage but here the horn button has to travel down a lot before the horn engages. Weird!
3. The trunk doesn’t close until I slam it. The removable trunk partition seems to make it worse.
4. The wireless charger is unreliable for my iPhone 14 without case.

The round dial gear takes a little longer to change the gear than expected, which I don’t think is a defect, just poor engineering. When I turn the knob, I have wait for a split second before I can start reversing or driving forward.
Hey Nikhil,

Congratulations on your purchase.

1. This seems to be an issue with a component. Honestly I have never faced this issue. Please get this checked put
2. As others pointed, the horn is much better placed than any other cars I have known. The longer press maybe due to an alignment issue which can be corrected at the SC.
3. This also can be corrected. I had the same issue and now after getting it corrected it closes on soft push.
4. This we cannot blame on Tata but on poor design by the iPhone. Even my wife's 14 has the same issue. Seems the coil is very small compared to my Samsung which has never had any issue till now. However the iPhone has a problem even while charging on other wireless chargers.

The round dial gets easier to use after some time. You need to ensure the car is on complete stop before changing. Also ensure brakes are fully pressed.

Another tip: Just ensure monthly you bring down the soc to below 10% and charge to 100%. This will ensure no range drops.
shamanths3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 14:39   #903
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
Almost 5k kms into my ownership of Nexon EV max and I can 100% say that 250 is almost the bare minimum range you can get - whatever the weather and driving condition.

Sharing my charge log for your reference, ignore the DTE and my trip A gets reset after each charge. My least efficient drive has been at 146wh/km which again translates to 40500/146=277 km of range!

Attachment 2471172
You can use Fuelio to track your efficiency and cost. It's much easier to do than an excel sheet
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 15:50   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
You can use Fuelio to track your efficiency and cost. It's much easier to do than an excel sheet
Use it religiously for my XUV and a big thumbs up to it, I started using it for my Nexon too but for some reason I just couldn't warm up to it and stuck to my excel
Old 8th July 2023, 18:21   #905
BHPian

Hello, good EV people. We are considering this car and will need to use it on a steeply uphill dirt road in dry weather. A question for owners: can traction control still not be switched off? Does it make it difficult to get the car up a dusty, rocky climb?

Asking because an aggressive TC can cut power too soon and make it impossible to go up a bumpy track, and in fact there is a video online of a Nexon EV Max cutting power and struggling on such a track. (But they didn’t use sports mode, if that is a factor.)

I looked underneath the Max and really like the ground clearance. Solid range too…
Vikram9193 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2023, 18:52   #906
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post
Hello, good EV people. We are considering this car and will need to use it on a steeply uphill dirt road in dry weather. A question for owners: can traction control still not be switched off? Does it make it difficult to get the car up a dusty, rocky climb?

Asking because an aggressive TC can cut power too soon and make it impossible to go up a bumpy track, and in fact there is a video online of a Nexon EV Max cutting power and struggling on such a track. (But they didn’t use sports mode, if that is a factor.)

I looked underneath the Max and really like the ground clearance. Solid range too…
Nothing can give you better clarity than a good test drive on your intended route. EVs generally come with low resistance tyres, you need to upgrade tyres post purchase, tyre change can give you significant improvements in traction, but be prepared for a slight reduction in range due to tyre change.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 14:16   #907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post

Hello, recently I went to as resort in waynad which had a private road, when we went it was rainy, the road was very steep and with loose gravel in some places
We were 5 members inside and fully loaded with luggage (approximately 2 tons considering weight of car and the load) the car went for most part in city mode with AC on. But for the steepest part I had to engage sports mode as the motor was clearly not able to pull.

Once it is engaged it went with ease but TC cutting the power a few times but it was not very agressive.
After i finished my uphill drive I was surprised to see Tiago EV there. On the way I could see 2-3 ICE cars struggling and finally went back.
In a nutshell, make sure the battery is atleast 70 Percent so that you can engage sports mode when ever you want (sports mode won't work if battery is below. 25).
EV's no different from normal ICE (front wheel) cars in there capabilities, they are better in most instances

There is no way to switch off TC

Have a great drive
krv09 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 20:49   #908

Nexon EV max charging speeds a cause for concern

Hello fellow bhpian's. As we are aware ev max has 40 kw LFP battery which is thermally more stable than NMC batteries. Nexon offical website advertises max speed of charging with 50kwh DC charger. But most of us are aware that EV max is capped at 30kwh of peak charging.

Recently zeon has released update stating that XUV400 with NMC battery chargers at around 45kwh

Its already more than 1year and tata is only allowing 30kwh which is actually slow. I think it's deceptive advertising by tata

If any one has any idea why this is done please elaborate. Thanks in advance
Old 2nd August 2023, 10:23   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krv09 View Post
If any one has any idea why this is done please elaborate. Thanks in advance
The reason for this is what you have pointed out - "the difference in battery LFP and NMC". NMC battery can be charged at a higher load for initial 70-80% of battery capacity and compared to LFP. Reason is that the LFP batteries show higher susceptibility to degradation if charged at the same load as their capacity. Then the question comes why LFP batteries.

As the use case in India is longevity of car/battery (support more charge cycles), protection of thermal runaway (high ambient temperatures across the country). For smaller battery packs (20-60 KWH), LFP makes sense as they will go through more charge cycles as compared to car with larger batteries. Hence, LFP is the more prevalent choice in mass market cars.

Will Tata increase the charging load to equivalent to battery capacity i don't think so. They have not claimed in the brochure that the car charges as 50 KWH (Screenshot below). They have claimed that on a 50 KWH DC charger 0-80% will be done in 56 mins which essentially means 80% of 40.5 KWH is 32 KWH. So 0 to 80 in 56 means near about 30 KWH of load that it will take. If we compare this with XUV400, it has a 39.4 KWH battery which is claimed to be charged from 0 to 80% in 50 mins on a 50 KWH DC charger which means it takes charge at the 39 KW load same as battery capacity. The time gained by charging faster is only 6 mins.

As the battery size gets bigger, difference in speed of charging for NMC vs LFP will grow wider. This is why most of the luxury car brands + ioniq 5 and ev6 use NMC. Speed of charging and battery density are the key factors. They are not worried about charge cycles as the car runs longer on a single charge.

Image from Tata Nexon EV Max Brochure -

Tata Nexon EV Max Review-screenshot-20230802-095447.jpg
ferrarirules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 10:20   #910
BHPian

Anyone knows whats the rationale behind this breakdown and how this could have been detected during the PDI. Thanks!

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/tata-ne...-12476082.html
Old 10th August 2023, 11:57   #911
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Anyone knows whats the rationale behind this breakdown and how this could have been detected during the PDI. Thanks!

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/tata-ne...-12476082.html
Don't know about this breakdown, but it is evident that platforms like RushLane are working tirelessly to both tarnish specific brands and protect others. Their approach involves sowing fear among potential and existing owners. For instance, when a vehicle owner posts about issues with Tata on platforms like Twitter etc, RushLane seizes the opportunity to craft articles, which are subsequently widely shared on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter etc.

Curiously, these same platforms remain notably silent when owners of brands like MG, Hyundai, or Kia voice their concerns. A case in point is the recent incident involving a Kia Seltos catching fire during a test drive shortly after servicing—an incident that went unreported by RushLane. Meanwhile, the troubled owner's post, the Tweet on it, and the Youtube video on it, regarding the Seltos fire, just disappeared from the web, everything just vanished into the thin air. Many such incidents of Kia Hyundai and MG vehicles go unreported by these so called automotive journalists and thus they go unnoticed by the people.
wheelguy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 21:41   #912
BHPian

Tata Passenger Electric Mobility YouTube official channel has updated :

We have something very special to celebrate with you.We promise it's going to be a spectacular sight.

11th August 8pm:

https://www.youtube.com/live/Dvl57E72CpI?feature=share
XRoader_001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 16:24   #913
BANNED

Hello, Has anyone upgraded their Nexon EV Max alloy wheels then can you please share the OFFSET and PCD specifications?

Thanks.
Old 27th August 2023, 13:00   #914
BHPian

We Bought our EV Max on January 19th and sold it on 7th July...... Why?

Read on....

Car performed well. We did 14500 km in a very short span of time. There were no issues with regards to service or quality. We saved a lot of money with this kind of running.

However, all three passengers who were occupying the rear seat (namely, my wife, mother and mother in law) had issues.

We owned a 2019 Nexon Diesel XZA earlier and were happy with the ride comfort and seating comfort. So the move to an EV was natural and easy choice. Or so, we thought.

The raised floor due to batteries caused ergonomic issues. All three who had never had issues earlier came up with Back and knee issues over a very short period.

Being in the field of Dance and Yoga, we were quick to pay attention to the source of the issue. We all unanimously felt it was the setting position.

Without thinking twice about depreciation value, we decided to sell the car. Luckily we got a good buyer, explained our decision to him and yet he was happy to pick up the vehicle.

I have raised the issue with TATA, as I had contacts in the EV vertical.

Point of sharing this is to urge people to test the suitability of the ergonomics of EVs thoroughly before taking the plunge.
Its far easier and cheaper to change a car than to treat orthopaedic related issues.

Its also important to state that just over the past month these orthopaedic issues have disappeared.
satyanu28 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 19:47   #915

I observed the same issue during my test drives. I am 6'4". The floor sits much higher even in the front seat. My knees came up much higher than my hip. Luckily we spotted this during the test drive and settled for Prime. There were a few of my friends who were puzzled that we were booking a Prime when the newer Max was available. After having driven the car for nearly 3 months (45 km a day) our decision has made perfect sense. Yes, it is very difficult to use it as a highway car but our thinking was we shouldn't compromse everyday comfort and ergonomics for the occasional highway trip we would do. Perfectly understand your situaton.
advant is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks