Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2008, 19:04   #2626
Senior - BHPian

and one from bulletin board in infy. found in my old pst.
Quote:
First Voice(shrill, Young, Loud) : “Uh-AAh-E-EEEEE-OO-OOOOO-HARI….”

Second Voice(Shriller, Older, MUCH louder) : …..”NO AJAY, NOT HARI, its HRRI”….

The first voice, wasn’t the sound made by a monkey excited at the prospect of getting a banana….it was a 4 year old me, desperately trying to master the intricacies of the Hindi alphabet. The second voice was that of my mother, who lost the best years of her life trying to make me learn the language. I, my dear friends, am a south Indian. To put it very crudely, I SUCKED at Hindi(still do by the way…I’m ashamed of it, but blame the Education Board for crying out loud!!!)

Affectionately christened as ‘Dahi wada’, we South Indians were always the butt of the Hindi jokes made by the ‘Butter Chickens’ and the ‘Konde Maamas’(These were the names which we so affectionately gave back to our brothers and sisters from the North, the second being specially for Sardarjis.) When I so confidently say ‘we’, I am referring to most of us who were brought up in Christian and Anglo Indian Instituions (KVs being excluded almost immediately from the elite bracket)

One might ask why my mother(very much a South Indian) NEVER had a problem learning the national language. She speaks the language beautifully and without a trace of that distinct South Indian accent. The answer is simple….She was brought up in the North.

I on the other hand, was brought up in the South, in an Anglo Indian School and never spoke a word of Hindi outside Hindi Class. Coming to think of it now, I never spoke a word of it INSIDE the Hindi class either. THAT WAS THE PROBLEM.

For all the North Indian readers and those who are fortunate enough to speak the language fluently(OH I ENVY YOU’LL!), let me tell you how our Hindi classes were in school. I’m sure most of my type will agree with me. A teacher would stand in the front of the class(99 times out of 100, a fat, old happy lady) , and read something out to us in Hindi. We (I speak for my beloved last bench mates here) would see stars when that happened and soon return to what we were doing before she came into the class(most of time it would be gossiping, sleeping or brewing treacherous plans to ambush Karl Mehta’s lunch box…his mother knew how to cook…Oh yes she did)…for those who cared to listen, the teacher would then translate whatever she had said in Hindi, to English and the basic medium would be English. Occasionally, a piece of chalk, flying at an alarming velocity towards the back benches, would stop us from continuing our evil endeavors and we would sit upright again and ‘listen’.

One particular Hindi teacher(no names here because that would be very rude) used to find sadistic pleasure in laughing as she corrected our Hindi papers…this as we sat praying to the lord above that we fall over the red line by his grace(or hers). She would smile and giggle, sometimes guffaw as she moved her red pen on our artwork like a wand. When things got very funny(for her of course), she would make the respective joker read his/her essay out for the class(which was a very mean thing to do I must say). I had that pleasure of reading to the class twice. Again, I’m not proud of it.

This would invariably make her laugh and that would trigger sniggers from her “pets group” which comprised of a group of children who’s surnames ranged from Gupta to Mehra. It would be appropriate to mention that we gave back the same to her henchmen when it came to Maths and Physics(where they didn’t know the difference between factorials and powers…snigger snigger)

This of course, was just one teacher. Some of them were really very helpful and kind, almost pitying us of our deficiency. Why one teacher was so sweet that she actually told my mother to take me to Hindi movies because that would improve my pronunciation and gender realizations.(the KAA’s, KAY’s KEE’s and KOO’s baffle me…note the tense of that statement…baffle)

As a result of this trouble which I had, anybody who asked me in Hindi, to do something or expected a reply in Hindi would get a bovine look from me…Its not that I didn’t understand the language…NO…definitely not. I understood it…it was speaking in it that was the problem…speaking it correctly to be more precise.

By the time we had reached higher classes, so much Hindi had been rammed into our cranial cavities that the only Hindi we knew was TEXT BOOK stuff.

In this context, I will end this article with a rather funny incident that springs to mind, which I’m sure, will make you experienced folks laugh (it has never failed to bring a smile on anybody’s face)

It was a Sunday afternoon sometime during our 10th standard holidays where we had finished the last contact in our academic lives with the subject (most of the people in my friend circle didn’t opt for a second language course for pre-university…in fact some preferred to take zoology as the extra subject) A big group of us, right from us young boys to older working men and servants were playing cricket in the building where we stay. During the game, our ball went out of the compound into a nearby field where the batting team was sitting(they didn’t need to field that day as there were too many people who wanted to play)….so me being closest to the boundary, sauntered to the fence. Raju was standing there. Raju was the old man who delivered tea to the employees of offices in our building from the local tea stall, the vendor of which was also there that day. We got along really well till the part where we had to communicate (which was mostly done by gesturing). Raju knew only Hindi. So not wanting to show that I was lesser to anyone when it came to speaking our national language, I pointed at the ball which was next to this big tree and said “ Bhai sahib, Gaend Vriksh kay sameep hai” …(“Dear Sir, the Ball is next to that tree” in the purest Hindi imaginable …)We didn’t play anymore that day because play was stopped due to aching stomachs. All those who listened to that innocent statement, dropped down to the floor and laughed till they cried…Those who didn’t, laughed anyway and laughed again when they heard about why they were laughing the first time. it is a very contagious thing laughter; In 5 minutes, groggy, half awake residents had started poking their heads out of the windows to see what the din was all about, which had woken them from their siestas. They just saw 25 people laughing their heads off. Some of them who witnessed the laughter filled scene started laughing too.

I didn’t laugh because deep down in the depths of my gut, I knew that the results of the board exams were due and laughing at a subject I took would make Saraswati, the Goddess of Knowledge, angry. After all, I must point out that Sita(her fellow goddess…if ever there is a term like that in English) was sitting very “sameep” to the “vriksh” when Hanuman arrived (how else do you think I made up that statement. Huh?).

The results came 8 days later and I had passed in Hindi (got a whooping 64, the best performance in my LIFE). But the fact remains that Im 23 years now, nearly done with my education and all…What would happen if I were transferred to a location in the North???
Old 24th March 2008, 19:12   #2627
Senior - BHPian

Forgetfullness.
How many of you have left the car keys inside only to be Locked out. I am one among those.!

Luckily i had a Manual Lock, no Central Lock. I had gone to the Car Finance Company to pay my EMI. First few days of having a car, somehow, I parked the car bang opposite the branch, got down with keys still dangling in the column, Pushed the Lock button down, and Held the Door Handle open and Banged it shut only Realize the keys are still inside. Thankfully, Sundaram Finance keeps the duplicate keys(NICE procedure) until the loan is closed, the manager saw my plight from the window, I got the duplicate from him and gave it back in 1 minute

Never have I done the same again. Always Banged it without holding the handle. then slowly take the key and lock it manually.!!!
Old 24th March 2008, 19:23   #2628
Senior - BHPian

I found this admist our threads, Just thought this has to be here also.!!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...tml#post769752
Old 24th March 2008, 20:06   #2629
BANNED

One Pig and a chicken was walking thru the town. They happened to pass by a church where a grand gala was taking place. Gutted by the holy high spirit, they decided to offer a contribution. Soon, the chicken told: Let's contribute some ham and eggs. The pig was shocked and replied in a sad voice:
For you, that is a contribution. But for me it is something of self commitment also known as suicide.
Old 24th March 2008, 20:24   #2630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I saw this first time in 2004, still makes me laugh. \for those who haven't seen it yet.
hey they actually had an episode about this on mythbusters and finally concluded that the barrel ought to be really for this in order to really take place.
Old 25th March 2008, 19:55   #2631
BANNED

One day an employee came in to work with both of his ears bandaged.
When his boss asked him what happened, he explained:

"Yesterday I was ironing a shirt when the phone rang
and I accidentally answered the iron instead of the phone!"

"Well," the boss said, "that explains one ear, but what
about the other?" "They called back!"
Old 26th March 2008, 06:14   #2632
BANNED

A american couple was blessed with a baby. But they noticed he didnt look american at all... Do you know what they named it?
SUM TING WONG!

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th March 2008 at 13:04. Reason: Re-Edited joke as per members comments.
Old 26th March 2008, 12:01   #2633
BANNED

So, Here's something which is more cruel. LOL!

In a survey, 80 percent of the women thought their a$$ was FAT. 15 percent thought their a$$ was too thin and weak. The other 5 percent said they didn't care, because they would've married him anyway.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th March 2008 at 13:02. Reason: quote removed.
Old 26th March 2008, 15:13   #2634
Senior - BHPian

Interesting Love Letter.......

Came across an interesting letter from a Diesel-head....

========
Dear Ms.

Baby, I saw you yesterday while cruising and realized that you are the only truck I was looking for. For a long time, I've been lonely, trying to find the right wheels for my life and you can be one hell-of-a-wheel for me. My life is just an engine without a turbo.

You not only have a beautiful face, but your boot is attractive as well; baby, those bumpers and fog lamps blew me away. Your smile is so torquey that it encourages me to push the pedal all the way. Your voice is like the whistle of the turbo, begging me not to let-go.

When you looked at me last evening, I felt all the needles of the cluster swinging smoothly giving expected results, which I have never experienced before.

With this letter, I just want to convey that, if we link together, I'll provide you with all the spares necessary for a human being to live a garage free life. Also don't bother about the security, which may be created by your parents as I've strong jump-starting capabilities by which I'll ultimately break the security and make them accept our marriage.

I hope that nobody is already keyed-in to your engine for a test-drive. If this has happened, I will red-line myself beyond recovery. Kindly interpret this letter properly and grant me all privileges of your cabin.

Only yours,
Diesel-head
---

Happy Driving,
==Ramky
==============
Old 26th March 2008, 15:18   #2635
rippergeo

@ramky- that is the sweetest, most cutest(sic) loveletter I have ever read.
hope that girl was a diesel head too.

Old 26th March 2008, 19:29   #2636
BANNED

A man walks out of the bar. He stumbles back and forth as he moves ahead with a key in his hand. A cop on duty sees him and asks: "Sir, may I help you?" "Yessssh! Sssshomebody sssshtole my car" the man replies. "Where was it and when did you see it last?" Cop asks, "It wasssh at the end of thisssh key" the man replies very logicaly if not a bit too literally.
By now, the cop looks down to see that the man's fly is open and he is exposing his secret part for all. He asks, "Sir, do you know that you are exposing yourself?" The man looks down woefully and with a sudden shock, replies: "Ohh Sssss$hit! They've got my girlfriend too"
Old 26th March 2008, 19:45   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
A man walks out of the bar. He stumbles back and forth as he moves ahead with a key in his hand. A cop on duty sees him and asks: "Sir, may I help you?" "Yessssh! Sssshomebody sssshtole my car" the man replies. "Where was it and when did you see it last?" Cop asks, "It wasssh at the end of thisssh key" the man replies very logicaly if not a bit too literally.
By now, the cop looks down to see that the man's fly is open and he is exposing his secret part for all. He asks, "Sir, do you know that you are exposing yourself?" The man looks down woefully and with a sudden shock, replies: "Ohh Sssss$hit! They've got my girlfriend too"

Too Good speedzak. I am still laughing with my colleagues here.
Old 26th March 2008, 21:07   #2638
BHPian

Here is funny video, it has been doing rounds for a couple of days now... Enjoy!

funwall.in - A typical day in an IT company
Old 27th March 2008, 06:27   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Hahahaha Too cool. Specially how you depicted the slur in the speech.
"Ssshamazing"
Old 27th March 2008, 14:17   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Husband makes a Peg of whisky & shouts on his wife:
"Peeee ISKOO"

Wife:"CHIIII...!!!!kitni kadvi hai"

Husband:"Aur tu sochti hai main roz ash karta hun"...!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks